Who is our fullback going to be??

Lordshawesome

Reaction score
Now that one of the 2(walk on) fullbacks has left the program, now what? That leaves us with 1, maybe 2 guys on the roster who has any experience at the position. I had speculated in an earlier post that our big backs(Williams/Kirkwood), who have the size for the position, could be switched, given Cobb, Edwards & Jones could be burying them on them on the depth chart. I see now that Williams is now 240 lbs. +!! He will obviously have a better familiarity with our run game than a guy who just walked on campus. And could u picture nugget let loose to lay the lumber with his powerful frame?... Thoughts?

It looks as if it's Miles Thomas's job to lose. I'll admit I was pretty surprised to see Nugget was up to 247 pounds. I'm assuming that's what the coaches wanted and he didn't spend the entire offseason eating and getting out of shape. We could see him in a fullback-type role in a few formations I guess.

Ya, Thomas appears to be the front runner. But I can't help but think that Williams would be a huge upgrade. He's huge, quick, knows the offence. Plus he'd be better at all the peripherals of the position, besides blocking. Like catches out of the backfield(I guarantee he'll be more of a weapon in space, out in the flats). Plus it gives us another option as to who can run the ball(goal line, 3rd & 1..). Given how we mix it up withe jet sweeps, option runs, etc., it would just give opposing defences another option to think about.

There's a lot more to being a FB than just being a big RB. Saying he's good at everything "except blocking" is like saying that someone's good at everything for LB "except tackling".

There's a lot more to being a FB than just being a big RB. Saying he's good at everything "except blocking" is like saying that someone's good at everything for LB "except tackling".

+1

Which is why I though Kirkwoodland would play there some. He is an excellent blocker, he has even been used in punt protection. With his weight loss, that obviously isn't in the plans.

Gabe Mezzenga played in the Michigan game when Henry was out. Played well i thought, had a couple nice catches. I would expect him and the JC guy but in all honesty there is not a huge difference between FB and TE in this O and we all know we have plenty of TEs on scholarship and walk-ons.

One thing I would ask of you braniacs...Stop talking about de fence, and talk defense. Stop talking oh fence and talk offense. Thank you.

Is Lincoln Plsek a possibility? He seems to like to hit and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Of our plethora of tight ends, I could most easily see him put into FB with more of a blocking responsibility.

I wasn't saying he couldn't block. A running back won't see the field much if he can't. I was saying, if he's in the ball park as a blocker(and nothing suggests that they aren't capable blockers), the upgrade at all other facets of being an offensive weapon, would be a huge benefit for the whole offence. And someone who says being big playing the FB position doesn't matter, doesn't understand physics. Lol

I wasn't saying he couldn't block. A running back won't see the field much if he can't. I was saying, if he's in the ball park as a blocker(and nothing suggests that they aren't capable blockers), the upgrade at all other facets of being an offensive weapon, would be a huge benefit for the whole offence. And someone who says being big playing the FB position doesn't matter, doesn't understand physics. Lol

To be fair, you didn't say he couldn't block, and dpo didn't say size isn't relevant for a FB.

Gabe Mezzenga played in the Michigan game when Henry was out. Played well i thought, had a couple nice catches. I would expect him and the JC guy but in all honesty there is not a huge difference between FB and TE in this O and we all know we have plenty of TEs on scholarship and walk-ons.

Mezzenga graduated and left the program

To be fair, you didn't say he couldn't block, and dpo didn't say size isn't relevant for a FB.

Valid point. I'm sure Thomas is is capable player. I just like the thought of Williams/Kirkwood catching one of those sneaky delayed FB dumps and watching them bull over some helpless 185 lb corner & running for 6. Or a having 3 true running backs in the Golden I.... That puts a smile on my face. And at almost 250 lbs with those tree trunks for legs, Williams is gonna punish linebackers.

One of the sentences in my last post made me bust out laughing apon a 2nd read. Guess which one. Hahaha

Our QB's are good at everything except throwing.

1)Kirkwood is tough but not close to big enough.
2)Williams did not play a lot for two years because he did not do the "OTHER STUFF" like blocking well.

1)Kirkwood is tough but not close to big enough.
2)Williams did not play a lot for two years because he did not do the "OTHER STUFF" like blocking well.
He might have needed refinement in his blocking game (Only the coaching staff knows that). But, again, I'm merely excited about the idea of having him & Cobb in the backfield at the same time. Maybe Edwards in a slot-motion option. Keep em guessing, put all the weapons you can on the field.

I just read in the pioneer press that jephete matilus is being moved to fullback, as of the start of fall practice. Also one of the tight ends... (I want to say jerry gibson, but don't quote me on that). But I read it somewhere yesterday.

I just read in the pioneer press that jephete matilus is being moved to fullback, as of the start of fall practice. Also one of the tight ends... (I want to say jerry gibson, but don't quote me on that). But I read it somewhere yesterday.

I remember a poster saying months ago that that Matilus would be playing Fullback this Fall & getting blasted for it by several other posters? :cool02:

Top Bottom