Who is on your list of coaches for Gophers now?

G0 4

Reaction score
Almost a week into the search now and we can cross Smart, Stevens, Hoiberg, Alford, and Flip off our coaching list. Who does this realistically leave us looking at now?

1. Marshall
2. Enfield
3. Boyle
4. Cronin
5. Mack

Any others you like or think might be available?

I'll add Miles and K Willard.

I think it's really tough to say since Teague has never tipped his hand. The person on your list that confirmed he talked to Teague about the job is Flip. Hoiberg said he never talked to anyone at the U about the job. That doesn't mean his agent didn't at least field a few questions. Even Smart probably wasn't offered the job officially. I do believe he talked to him in order to gauge his interest.

My wishlist as of now:

1. Buzz Williams
2. Gregg Marshall

After those two, I really have no clue where this could go.

I don't think Williams is all that realistic, I believe he's making 2.8m/yr now. What would entice him to come to the U?

Buzz Williams, Gregg Marshall, Tad Boyle, Mick Cronin & Chris Mack are probably at the top of my list right now. I don't know that any of them are realistic though unless they throw a ton of money at them.

Michigan State assistants.
If they come out of this with an assistant coach from Michigan State, or anywhere else, I think you will be seeing an empty Williams arena come fall, no chance at landing any of the big 3 and troubles in the fundraising department.

Marshall. Need to pull all the stops for him. He is not Villa 7. I am starting to like that.

Don't be surprised if the saga of Flip isn't over. If the donors apply pressure on Teague and Ellis to approach Flip again, Flip writes his own ticket on the whole shootin' match. He may have just out played their poker hand. He is smarter then they are. That is now obvious whether he goes to the T'wolves, they go crawling back to him, or he stays at ESPN. His future is in less doubt than theirs.

Marshall. Need to pull all the stops for him. He is not Villa 7. I am starting to like that.

Don't be surprised if the saga of Flip isn't over. If the donors apply pressure on Teague and Ellis to approach Flip again, Flip writes his on ticket on the whole shootin' match. He may have just out played their poker hand. He is smarter then they are. That is now obvious whether he goes to the T'wolves, they go crawling back to him, or he stays at ESPN.

Not that I necessarily believe it, but some media/people think that perhaps Teague intentionally got "rejected" by Flip because of booster pressure to talk with him. I also don't believe that this is necessarily over with Flip since it sounds like the main sticking points were staff-related, which seems like it could be resolved. We shall see, no time for panic.

I don't have a list, but as I've mentioned a couple of other times, I think it will be a Villa 7 assistant that was in the tourney this weekend. I guess I'm resigned to my belief that Teague and Ellis aren't going to stray from their program. Don't think it will be a big name or even a head coach.

Flip is smarter than the...........

....vanilla7 bunch, and that is why he apparenty went thru the motions of courting each other.

His real plan includes the Timberwolves take over complete with ownership interest. Working for the Tar Heel two steppers would have meant working for someone else and he is past that stage of life with the money he's made.

I have no interested in Mack. Xavier is not exactly improving since he took over. Cronin doesn't do much for me either, I lived in the Cincinnati area a few years ago and they were saying he was on the hot seat then because his team is pretty average. I think my ranking today would be

1) Marshall
2) Buzz
3) Enfield

I don't have a list, but as I've mentioned a couple of other times, I think it will be a Villa 7 assistant that was in the tourney this weekend. I guess I'm resigned to my belief that Teague and Ellis aren't going to stray from their program. Don't think it will be a big name or even a head coach.

So, which Villa 7 assistants were in the tourney this weekend that fit that profile you suggest?

I have no interested in Mack. Xavier is not exactly improving since he took over. Cronin doesn't do much for me either, I lived in the Cincinnati area a few years ago and they were saying he was on the hot seat then because his team is pretty average. I think my ranking today would be

1) Marshall
2) Buzz
3) Enfield

Actually I'd like Tim Miles, but that seems unlikely

I see all the names in this thread...and we seem to think the Gopher program is a better job than it really is. I think Shaka, Hoiberg, Flip not showing interest kind of proved that. When Shaka extended his deal the rest of the country brought up UCLA losing out not us. The real question is....who do we realistically have a chance at?

Don't be surprised if the saga of Flip isn't over. If the donors apply pressure on Teague and Ellis to approach Flip again, Flip writes his own ticket on the whole shootin' match. He may have just out played their poker hand. He is smarter then they are. That is now obvious whether he goes to the T'wolves, they go crawling back to him, or he stays at ESPN. His future is in less doubt than theirs.

Man, I hope you are right!!!

I see all the names in this thread...and we seem to think the Gopher program is a better job than it really is. I think Shaka, Hoiberg, Flip not showing interest kind of proved that. When Shaka extended his deal the rest of the country brought up UCLA losing out not us. The real question is....who do we realistically have a chance at?

There are plenty of candidates Minnesota has a chance at. Probably not a big time name but still can be a solid hire.

I don't think we have a cance for Buzz, but other than him who are you referring to? I don't think Marshall will come here. From what they said during the games he enjoys winning more than quality competition.

Just curious.

Ryan Saunders. Just need to find someone to groom him, preferably on the job, for a few years first.

I have no problem if they get a good young assistant who they feel has a chance to be the next big thing. Personally I think an assistant at one of the big schools who has a reputation as a good recruiter would be a great hire. I will support whoever they hire. Unfortunately I think a lot in this forum will be waiting to complain at their first opportunity.

There are plenty of candidates Minnesota has a chance at. Probably not a big time name but still can be a solid hire.

I agree with you, but how is the fund raising going to go with an unknown commodity as your head coach? We couldn't raise money when we were 15-1, ranked 8th in the country, and in line for a very promising Big 10 season. So, how are we going to get the basketball practice facility built when we have a no-name head coach with an unproven track record, with no support from the boosters?

If they come out of this with an assistant coach from Michigan State, or anywhere else, I think you will be seeing an empty Williams arena come fall, no chance at landing any of the big 3 and troubles in the fundraising department.
Not sure about the other stuff but I believe the one Michigan State assistant Stephens has been the lead recruiter for both Jones and Travis and has a very good relationship with both. IMO he would give us a better chance at any of the big 3 than Tubby did and also be better than guys like Enfield, Boyle, or some other mid major coach.

I agree with you, but how is the fund raising going to go with an unknown commodity as your head coach? We couldn't raise money when we were 15-1, ranked 8th in the country, and in line for a very promising Big 10 season. So, how are we going to get the basketball practice facility built when we have a no-name head coach with an unproven track record, with no support from the boosters?

This is the problem Teague/Ellis have. Whomever they hire unless it is Williams or Marshall the reaction from the fan base and the boosters is going to be "You fired Tubby and hired this guy?"

If that is the case Teague/Ellis had better hope that the boosters believe in them that they still give the money needed to build the practice facility or it will be another 2-3 years to see how the hire plays out before people step up with their money and before there is any real movement on the facilities front.

Teague/Ellis may have put themselves in a position where the master facilities plan is put on hold.

This is the problem Teague/Ellis have. Whomever they hire unless it is Williams or Marshall the reaction from the fan base and the boosters is going to be "You fired Tubby and hired this guy?"

If that is the case Teague/Ellis had better hope that the boosters believe in them that they still give the money needed to build the practice facility or it will be another 2-3 years to see how the hire plays out before people step up with their money and before there is any real movement on the facilities front.

Teague/Ellis may have put themselves in a position where the master facilities plan is put on hold.

IMO - this is the most important thing that can happen for the long term best interest of the program. If we have to wait for another 3-5 years before a shovel is put in the ground, we are going to fall further and further behind all of the other programs in the conference. This is why we needed to either hire a name coach or bring in the guy to get the fundraising going. After not getting Shaka, Stevens, and any other big name coach, you had to go with your fall back plan and take someone who would be acceptable to the boosters and put up the cash for the facility. That man was Flip and that ship may have sailed.

Not sure about the other stuff but I believe the one Michigan State assistant Stephens has been the lead recruiter for both Jones and Travis and has a very good relationship with both. IMO he would give us a better chance at any of the big 3 than Tubby did and also be better than guys like Enfield, Boyle, or some other mid major coach.

I would be fine with this hire. Stephens has a reputation as a top recruiter and works with big men. Both areas of need for our Gophers.

Top Bottom