Who do you hate more?

• Wisconsin

Votes: 128 79.5%
  • Iowa

Votes: 28 17.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
3. We don't play the last game of the season where most other true rivalry games are slated. If our rivalry is so mutually important to both schools, couldn't our programs make a point to be playing during rivalry week? You know like Illinois/Northwestern, Iowa/Nebraska, Purdue/Indiana, Ohio State/Michigan, Auburn/Alabama, Oregon/Oregon State, Arizona/ASU etc. We could easily do it, but no one seems to care enough to get it done.

I went into why Minnesota and Wisconsin don't play on the last week of the regular season in a post awhile back that I can't find for the life of me. The matchups on the final week of the season are like this:

Divsional matchups

Iowa/Nebraska
Purdue/Indiana
Minnesota/Michigan State
Wisconsin/Penn State

Cross-division matchups

Illinois/Northwestern
Ohio State/Michigan

The way things are now, if Minnesota were to play Wisconsin, that would leave Michigan State with Penn State, a team they do not play every year, so that wouldn't work. In order to have Minnesota/Wisconsin be played on the final week of the regular season, another rivalry matchup would have to be moved to an earlier point in the season. Maybe this will happen at some point, but one rivalry game out of Illinois/Northwestern, Ohio State/Michigan, Purdue/Indiana, Minnesota/Wisconsin, and Iowa/Nebraska cannot be played on the final week, and unfortunately, that rivalry game is ours.

Personally, I think the optimal solution for all would be to have Michigan/Michigan State, and Ohio State/Penn State play (that's kind of a rivalry, isn't it?), making room for Minnesota/Wisconsin on the final week. With the current arrangement, four out of the six Big Ten games played on the final week are actual rivalries. My suggested arrangement would make it about five and a half out of the six games be actual rivalries (back when Penn State was regularly in the top 15 or so, Ohio State/Penn State games were fairly big). But this means moving the almighty Ohio State/Michigan game off the last week, so instead of compromising to give everyone some of what they want (I'm sure Michigan State, Minnesota, Penn State, and Wisconsin fans would be happier with such an arrangement), they kowtow to Ohio State and Michigan and the rest of us get the short end of the stick. I supposed it's not a huge deal, and I don't really blame the schedulers for doing it the way they do, I just wish we could end the season with an actual rival. But I'm getting off topic anyway.

It goes like this:

1 al-Qaeda
2 Westboro baptist church
3 North Dakota hockey
4 wisconsin
5 an empty beer fridge
6 Iowa
7 brett favre

Hate is not a strong enough word for the top four.

This. Except I'd swap Wisconsin with Iowa.

I HATE North Dakota hockey. There is no team I hate more than the team formerly known as the Sioux. Most of my best friends are from NoDak and while they are my friends, I still hate the arrogance and mentality of UND hockey fans.

I didn't really dislike UW football until Blart Bielema became the coach. He's just such a smarmy d-bag that I can't help but dislike him. That said, I have a cabin in Wisconsin and overall really like the state and the people. Granted, most of the people in far northern WI don't care all that much about the Badgers - they root for them, but it's not an obsession like it is with the Packers. In large part I think it's because few of them went to college, and most think of Madison as this weird hippie outpost.

I hate Iowa far more because my experience with their fans is that, at least the ones who overrun the Twin Cities when the Hawkeyes play here, are the worst bunch of meth-head white trash I've ever seen. Just a total bunch of redneck dirtbag idiots. A couple years ago I had the misfortune of going to IKEA to buy a desk the Sunday after the game, and the place was overrun with these drooling cave dwellers. I wanted to strangle each and every one of them. I tend to root for Iowa State for no other reason that I assume that this is where all the smart people in Iowa go to college. (and to be fair, I actually kind of like Iowa as a whole, except for the pocket along the river from Ft. Madison down to Keokuk on the Missouri-Illinois border, which is one of the scariest places I've ever been at night - some seriously messed up folks down there.)

Are you talking about the University of Iowa or the state as a whole? I would be able to get married in Iowa.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom