Votes: 128 79.5%
  • Iowa

Votes: 28 17.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

bruster

Reaction score
Yes, we hate Iowa, and we say it loud and proud. But I feel my hate for the Badgers has grown to exceed my hate for the Hawkeyes. Badger fans are the most obnoxious fans I have ever had to deal with.

What about the rest of you? Who tops your list?

Yes, we hate Iowa, and we say it loud and proud. But I feel my hate for the Badgers has grown to exceed my hate for the Hawkeyes. Badger fans are the most obnoxious fans I have ever had to deal with.

What about the rest of you? Who tops your list?

Wisconsin!! It isn't close. I actually like Iowans, well except for one day a season. Wisconsin on the other hand, It doesn't stop with the Badger teams. It's multifaceted loathing of all things Wisconsin. With the exception of a few individuals, I have nothing good to say about the state or the Badgers.

Silly question. Down with the badgers.

Silly question. Down with the badgers.

Becky, and not even close. I haven't commented on Beckyville for a year, but I do check it out. The borderline racism remarks on Gray and his children was sickening . The one dude "Myles Long"
Is the worst. The comments he made a few years ago about the " color"
Of the fans sitting behind the Gopher bench the game Westbrook did a number on them was right out of a. KKK handbook. He should have been banned.

Wisconsin. The only good badger is the one that was killed so I can get a great shave every morning.

I'm always in the minority on this one. I don't like the Badgers one bit, but I can look at Wisconsin and respect what's going on over there. They've got Great Lakes, the Dells, Harley-Davidson, plenty of breweries, pro football, basketball and baseball. They've got a statue of Fonzie. Iowa, well, they've got nothing. They're just like NDSU. They hang their hat on their football program, bash the Gophers and the U non-stop and come Sunday, put on their Minnesota purple and cheer the Vikings. The best part of Nebraska's addition to the Big Ten is that it totally obliterates the niche that Iowa has carved out for themselves. They're both powerhouse programs that are the kings in their state, but they're one-trick ponies. The problem for Iowa is that Nebraska's trick is a helluva lot better than Iowa's.

I think rivalry is born out of similarity and proximity. The more you are alike and the closer you are to one another, the more likely your rivalry will be heated. In looking at Wisconsin and Iowa, there is plenty of material there for "hate" with both of them. But, in terms of which one is more likely to stir emotion - I think it is Wisconsin simply because you've got two states that not only share a border but also rivals beyond college football. You've got pro sports as well as niche sports like college hockey that add fuel to the whole situation. Plus both states are about the same size population-wise. There are just a couple extra factors that push Wisconsin beyond Iowa. Both of these rivalry situations get a big boost by the number of Wisconsin and Iowa alums/natives living in the Twin Cities. Having to put up with their fans both in the work place and of course in the stadium during lean Gopher years has added to the "hate" factor. It is interesting because I have grown up a Gopher fan my whole life and as a kid I never saw Wisconsin or Iowa differently than, say, Purdue or Illinois. It wasn't until I began my adult life in the metro area and began to have to "put up with" their fans that I began to make a distinction with Wisconsin and Iowa.

My hate-o-meter in order of hate:

1. Wisconsin
2. Badgers
3. wisCONsin
4. wisconSIN
5. UW
6. Iowa

Go Gophers!!

I think the Gopher fan base clearly hates Wisconsin more than anyone. And it's not because of their success per se, but because their fan base has a gigantic portion that I would describe as "sore winners". They never learned to win and lose with class. I've been to Kinnick and Camp Randall as well as several other B1G stadiums and fans at Camp Randall are by FAR the worst as far as treatment of opposing fans. In Iowa City, I had a lot of good-natured rivalry "trash talk" with Iowa fans but nothing vitriolic like I've heard in Madison. There certainly are some Badger fans that aren't like that (I'm related to some), but they have a bigger proportion of vocal a-holes than other fanbases I've interacted with. My relatives who are Badger fans don't even argue that point with me.

That said, it's fun to hate Iowa, even if I actually don't detest them.

I hate the entire state of Wisconsin. the only thing i can stand is the beer, cheese curds, and the Dells.

I hate Iowa more. That will probably swing over the next few years now that the Dome years are behind us. The Kinnick North t-shirts, literally hearing Iowa fans complaining about there being too many MN fans at the Dome, the goal post incident and in all other ways basically acting like the Dome was their home stadium are too much. I never experienced that with WI fans. Yes they are annoying in many other ways, but for me Iowa is the worst.

On a side note, I've been to WI 4 times and IA once and the only issue I had either place was with my friend I brought to the game who's a WI fan (who almost got abandoned in Madison after getting in my face when WI was up 31-0 early in the second quarter). Been treated fine both places honestly, though I'm a very big guy, so that doesn't hurt. :)

I'm always in the minority on this one. I don't like the Badgers one bit, but I can look at Wisconsin and respect what's going on over there. They've got Great Lakes, the Dells, Harley-Davidson, plenty of breweries, pro football, basketball and baseball. They've got a statue of Fonzie. Iowa, well, they've got nothing. They're just like NDSU. They hang their hat on their football program, bash the Gophers and the U non-stop and come Sunday, put on their Minnesota purple and cheer the Vikings. The best part of Nebraska's addition to the Big Ten is that it totally obliterates the niche that Iowa has carved out for themselves. They're both powerhouse programs that are the kings in their state, but they're one-trick ponies. The problem for Iowa is that Nebraska's trick is a helluva lot better than Iowa's.
This. I work in Wisconsin and it's very similar to Minnesota in a lot of ways with a lot of really nice aspects about it. Yes, there are a TON of rednecks who are beyond annoying, but Iowa is worse in that department too.

Iowa is pretty nice in a few small towns along the Misssissippi River (have a few friends who live in Dubuque, which is really nice). The rest of the state is a giant pile of pig *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Literally.

Maybe I'm thinking too far beyond simply a question of sports, but I can't think of one thing better about Iowa than Wisconsin.

I lived in Madison for 7 years (left 4 years ago and am now am home) and without question Badger fans are the main reason I will always cheer for Iowa when they play Wisconsin. I hate Iowa but Badger fans are the WORST. Iowa fans know the state of Iowa sucks but for many of them it's their home so what can you do. The state of Wisconsin is just a crappier version of Minnesota in almost every way imaginable except for the recent success of their sports teams so it's kind of a kid brother situation which makes their success in sports recently insufferable.

In terms of college football only, WI tops my list. IA was at the top of my list for many years until my first visit to Kinnick about six or seven years ago. The fans were great, the women were busty and beautiful, and the bars after the game were a good time. My first trip to Camp Randall a year later was terrible. Jackass fans everywhere picking fights, we got kicked out of several bars strictly for wearing Gopher gear, and the WI women were mostly plump and nasty. The prick IA fans are the fans we generally see at a game in Minneapolis, not the majority at Kinnick.

i hate iowa's fans more, but in terms of the teams I would much rather beat wisconsin Bo Ryan and Bret Bielema nuff said.

Becky, and not even close. I haven't commented on Beckyville for a year, but I do check it out. The borderline racism remarks on Gray and his children was sickening . The one dude "Myles Long"
Is the worst. The comments he made a few years ago about the " color"
Of the fans sitting behind the Gopher bench the game Westbrook did a number on them was right out of a. KKK handbook. He should have been banned.

Yep Ruppertflywheel you had me at Myles Long. His A-hole behavior on this board was enough. I didn't need to go to Buckyville to figure that out. He is very close to being Pantherhawk like. I wonder if he took pictures of his fanbase during OOC play?

In terms of college football only, WI tops my list. IA was at the top of my list for many years until my first visit to Kinnick about six or seven years ago. The fans were great, the women were busty and beautiful, and the bars after the game were a good time. My first trip to Camp Randall a year later was terrible. Jackass fans everywhere picking fights, we got kicked out of several bars strictly for wearing Gopher gear, and the WI women were mostly plump and nasty. The prick IA fans are the fans we generally see at a game in Minneapolis, not the majority at Kinnick.

+1 This has been my experience as well.

No team in any sport, anywhere I hate more than the Wisconsin Badgers. I've had to live in the same state with these polyester red clad morons for far to long not to have them top my list.

That said, Iowa's boorish fans tearing down our own goalposts in the Dome puts them a not-so-distant second on my list.

Sad to say, I was born in Wisconsin. I chose the U over Madison for school and have hated the Badgers ever since. BemidjiGopher said it best with the Bielema/Ryan comment. The Badger fans and those two jackasses deserve each other. Can't wait for Gopher dominance in football and bball so we can shut those Badger fans up!!

This is a hard one for me because it is so tempting but I just can't. It would be so offensive and removed from the site even though it is all true. It would also go right over their heads. You know the trolls from Iowa and Wisconsin are reading this. I will just be nice and say Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ski-u-mah !!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom