• Wisconsin

Votes: 128 79.5%
  • Iowa

Votes: 28 17.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

Order of Big Ten Hate from a Nebraska fan's perspective:

1. Wisconsin (I didn't truly understand the reason for the hate until I went to Madison for the husker-badger game last yr)
2. Penn St
3. Iowa ... Wouldn't say we hate each other yet but it's only a matter of time

I have absolutely no respect for Iowa and even less respect for Wisconsin.

I still to this day can't believe the idiot Iowa fans tried to take our Goalposts out the revolving Dome doors.

This is tough one...you're asking me to choose between a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag coach (BB) that I can't stand and the classless Iowa faithful. I'll call it a tie, and leave it up to the replacement refs on a final decision :rolleyes:

Like the poll shows... it is not even close. Even though we say "We hate Iowa", most of us really hate Wisconsin and dislike Iowa.

It's just so easy to hate both.

I almost feel sorry for anyone having to live in Iowa, but their fans really, really suck. Most of the hot girls that go there are from somewhere else, so I can't even give them credit for that. Their fans are just so.....stupid.

I would rather live in Wisconsin than most states in America (if I had to move). Milwaukee is a really cool city and the northern part of the state is pretty great. Too bad their fans are the worst period. Add the fact that they have ugly red uniforms (Red is the worst color for any sport team). The average Badger fan is likely to be a total D-Bag in all aspects of life in my experience.

I have enough hate to go around.

Maybe I'm thinking too far beyond simply a question of sports, but I can't think of one thing better about Iowa than Wisconsin.

I can! They don't have Bret Bielema as their head coach.

I have absolutely no respect for Iowa and even less respect for Wisconsin.

Dr.Don - Since I am older than you I never had "new math" in school. Maybe that is why I am confused about how you can have less than zero respect for Wisconsin. And yes I did learn about negative numbers. I just don't believe you can have less than zero respect. Now if you were talking about having more disrespect for Wisconsin then I definitely agree with you.

As you can see by my comment I miss Dpodoll. Nobody seems to be properly policing this board.:)

It's gotta be Sconi.

Here's why: as other posters alluded, all Iowa has is college football. That's it. It's natural that they are 'a bit TOO into it'. It's ALL THEY GOT. Sort of pathetic.

Sconi: has decent sized cities, pro sports teams, and they are still jerks. They all act as if they are personally connected to Sconi teams and partially responsible for their success. I've actually asked some Sconi jackasses at work if they actually suit up and play for the Badgers or Green Bay because they seem so personally vested, or offended if anyone question the awesomeness of their teams. It's un-natural, and a psychologist would probably say unhealthy. That said, whenever the Packers or Badgers lose I go to bed VERY smug that the ENTIRE FREAKING STATE OF WISCONSIN is going to bed pissed off.

Love that. Seriously. After a Packers or Badgers loss I seriously lay in bed and think, Just think: every man, woman, and child in Sconi just had their week RUINED and is going to bed mad." I sleep SO well after that.

I don't dislike either the Hawkeyes or the Badgers. Both have developed good programs over the past couple of decades. They've earned their own fans' attention. They both passed our program and I've yet to hear a credible explanation for why they were able to do that. I reserve my dislike for Michigan for having the ugliest uniforms east of the Rockies. That's as valid a reason for disliking a program as any other.

Dr.Don - Since I am older than you I never had "new math" in school. Maybe that is why I am confused about how you can have less than zero respect for Wisconsin. And yes I did learn about negative numbers. I just don't believe you can have less than zero respect. Now if you were talking about having more disrespect for Wisconsin then I definitely agree with you.

As you can see by my comment I miss Dpodoll. Nobody seems to be properly policing this board.:)

You, Killjoy, my friend, got the drift of my comparison. One is a zero, the other is worse. :)

They both passed our program and I've yet to hear a credible explanation for why they were able to do that.

It's pretty simple, actually. They made great coaching hires. Fry, Alvarez, and Ferentz are all current or future college football HOFers. Enema hasn't been there long enough to f up everything that Alvarez handed to him on a silver platter. Whether through incompetence or an unwillingness to pony up the requisite dough, Minnesota hasn't come close to competing with either school in quality of coaches, and that's wherein the difference lie. Minnesota has had one great football coach in 41 years, and he left for a much better job after 2 seasons. I don't want to count chickens, but I'm starting to believe that we may have stumbled onto another.

Bielama cornered my girl cousin and tried hitting on her about 5 years ago, and said " im coach bielama, dont you want this?"

WISCONSIN IS THE A$$HOLE OF EARTH.

It goes like this:

1 al-Qaeda
2 Westboro baptist church
3 North Dakota hockey
4 wisconsin
5 an empty beer fridge
6 Iowa
7 brett favre

Hate is not a strong enough word for the top four.

Detestable BigTen:
1. Iowa
2. Wisconsin
3. Nebraska. Now that they have joined the B10 I have to agree with everyone I know who has ever come into contact with a Husker fan. It's like living next to an SEC fanbase, the arrogance in simply incredible. They actually make Hawkeye fans seem extremely reasonable. Badger fans at least have the drunken/retarded excuse for their behavior (as do SEC fans). Husker fans are stone cold sober Moses-straight-off-the-mountain certain that God has ordained their team to be national champions every year.
4.-5. Michigan and tOSU
6. Purdue
7. -11. the rest of the B10, not detestable at all really.

There are only two things I hate in this world:

Intolerance

And

the damn dirty Iowa Hawkeyes!

I will revise my previous post.

Hate-o-meter

1. Wisky
2. Iowa
3. ND, especially NDSU Fans (some of the worst fans I have experienced)

Wisconsin!! It isn't close. I actually like Iowans, well except for one day a season. Wisconsin on the other hand, It doesn't stop with the Badger teams. It's multifaceted loathing of all things Wisconsin. With the exception of a few individuals, I have nothing good to say about the state or the Badgers.

he pretty much said it all. and he said it perfectly. no further explanation needed for me.

It's gotta be Sconi.

Sconi: has decent sized cities, pro sports teams, and they are still jerks. They all act as if they are personally connected to Sconi teams and partially responsible for their success. I've actually asked some Sconi jackasses at work if they actually suit up and play for the Badgers or Green Bay because they seem so personally vested, or offended if anyone question the awesomeness of their teams. It's un-natural, and a psychologist would probably say unhealthy. That said, whenever the Packers or Badgers lose I go to bed VERY smug that the ENTIRE FREAKING STATE OF WISCONSIN is going to bed pissed off.

Love that. Seriously. After a Packers or Badgers loss I seriously lay in bed and think, Just think: every man, woman, and child in Sconi just had their week RUINED and is going to bed mad." I sleep SO well after that.

A few things: First, I bask in the hatred! As an old time Badger fan, I consider Minnesota to be our biggest rival and it bothers me when younger fans do not. Rivals should dislike each other; it means you know each other well and makes you anticipate the annual game no matter who is good and who is bad in a particular year.

Secondly, probably only the lower third of the state really follows Badger football but EVERYONE follows the Packers and they do, with good reason, feel personally connected to the team. The team has been around forever - I remember listening to games on the radio with my grandfather in the 1950s; it is a family bonding experience. Plus, business and ordinary people bailed out the team numerous times in the early days and many more people now are shareholders, something unique in the NFL. For years, the Packers played games in Milwaukee to pay back Milwaukee residents who bought stock and kept them in business. Even now, games are split between Green and Gold packages to accomodate the former Milwaukee ticket-holders. [Traffic between Milwaukee and GB on those days is absolutely horrible.]

Lastly, we may go to bed mad, but we will be there watching the team the next week, and the week after that, and the week after that. Count on it. [And don't make me post the Camp Randall attendance figures again, for those who see a three year decline as a sign of bandwagon jumpers. Camp Randall & Lambeau have seen a lot of bad football over the years, but the attendance figures don't vary much.]

A few things: First, I bask in the hatred! As an old time Badger fan, I consider Minnesota to be our biggest rival and it bothers me when younger fans do not. Rivals should dislike each other; it means you know each other well and makes you anticipate the annual game no matter who is good and who is bad in a particular year.

Secondly, probably only the lower third of the state really follows Badger football but EVERYONE follows the Packers and they do, with good reason, feel personally connected to the team. The team has been around forever - I remember listening to games on the radio with my grandfather in the 1950s; it is a family bonding experience. Plus, business and ordinary people bailed out the team numerous times in the early days and many more people now are shareholders, something unique in the NFL. For years, the Packers played games in Milwaukee to pay back Milwaukee residents who bought stock and kept them in business. Even now, games are split between Green and Gold packages to accomodate the former Milwaukee ticket-holders. [Traffic between Milwaukee and GB on those days is absolutely horrible.]

Lastly, we may go to bed mad, but we will be there watching the team the next week, and the week after that, and the week after that. Count on it. [And don't make me post the Camp Randall attendance figures again, for those who see a three year decline as a sign of bandwagon jumpers. Camp Randall & Lambeau have seen a lot of bad football over the years, but the attendance figures don't vary much.]

Hmm...lots of empty seats at the Illini game.

Are there really younger Badger fans who don't consider Minnesota to be Wisconsin's biggest rival? Is it just because of the dominance in the series since the mid 1990's, and because Wisconsin supposedly has bigger things to worry about than beating lowly Minnesota since they consider it a given at this point? Also, what's the deal with the Wisconsin/Iowa rivalry? Is it considered much of a rivalry by either side, like do Wisconsin fans place a greater emphasis on winning that game than they would over games against other conference opponents not named Minnesota? I see that the series is currently dead even at 42-42-2, so that's kinda cool that the winner of the next Iowa/Wisconsin game will take the lead in the series.

I don't think that there is the same rivalry hatred that you see in other big rivalries. I certainly appreciate the history and want to see the Badgers beat the Gophers every year, but not really for any other reason that it's kind of neat to be on the upper side of something that people historically consider a rivalry. In truth, everyone knows the rivalry is dull. There are a lot of factors that really tone things down.

1. Good rivalries are competitive. This rivalry has been anything but competitive. Wisconsin has won 15/17 and on top of that 8 in a row. An 8 year old has never seen any other outcome than a Wisconsin win over Minnesota. No back and forth revenge factors that stir both fan bases up. It's become repetitive. Nothing unexpected or different or interesting.

2. Both teams need to be good and/or ranked when they meet. Minnesota is almost never ranked going into the game and this year neither is Wisconsin. This means there is little national hype around the game. People get more excited about games when there is national hype. Especially students who control the atmosphere of campus on game day and in the stadium. I can't remember a Badger/Gopher game of true national relevance within recent memory. Maybe 2005 when we were 23/24. 2009 was a big year for your fans because of the new stadium and all, but even that was pretty localized to your fan base. Case in point, it has all culminated this year in that our "rivalry game" has been penciled onto lowly ESPN U. No one wants to see it. Because it's not exciting or otherwise important to the rest of the country. Fans like it when their games are exciting or important to the rest of the country.

3. We don't play the last game of the season where most other true rivalry games are slated. If our rivalry is so mutually important to both schools, couldn't our programs make a point to be playing during rivalry week? You know like Illinois/Northwestern, Iowa/Nebraska, Purdue/Indiana, Ohio State/Michigan, Auburn/Alabama, Oregon/Oregon State, Arizona/ASU etc. We could easily do it, but no one seems to care enough to get it done.

4. Our students are too friendly with one another. Years of tuition reciprocity have yielded lots of cross-over friend groups between the two schools. The kids from both universities are extremely similar with thousands crossing the borders both ways. Pretty friendly in nature and visitors are usually friends from high school, not invaders who don't know each other.

5. I do think there is a bit of a "we've got bigger fish to fry" mentality amongst current students. Most of them have no concept of a competitive rivalry between the schools. The last time they saw Wisconsin lose to Minnesota was when they were 11, 12, 13 and 14 years old. And even then, most of them probably didn't watch football yet. Wisconsin students have been part of some incredibly electric games in the past 2 decades. Many of them we have won. Purdue 2004, Michigan 2005, Ohio State 2003 and 2010, Iowa 2010, Nebraska 2011, Rose Bowls here and there. There has been a lot of very high-level and high-profile competition for Wisconsin and Minnesota hasn't been part of really any of those occasions.

6. I get the feeling that the Wisconsin athletic department and our coach doesn't particular care about hyping up the Minnesota/Wisconsin rivalry series. Or the Iowa one for that matter. I think the UW appreciates it, and we slated each other as permanent cross-over games, but I don't think Barry lobbied too hard to get Wisconsin into the Legends division. In fact, I think he cleverly lobbied for the opposite. We get to be in a seemingly more favorable division (for the moment) and we get to play a (historically) beatable team annual as our cross-over. If anything, I think there has sort of been a bit of a noticeable push to develop our rivalry with Ohio State more so. And why not? They say you play up (or down) to your competition. We know Bielema has a personal chip on his shoulder against Ohio State. Urban Meyer has already pissed him off. Our series with each other is pretty back and forth with several games of national relevance, college game day, upsets and the like. We also try to get them at night almost every time they come to Camp Randall. I would even be willing to say that current students will say they hate Ohio State more than they hate Minnesota in football. I really do. Overall, incorporating the older fans into the conversation, we'll all say our biggest rival is Minnesota. But in the present it gets less and less so, and more and more toward teams like Ohio State whom we will be battling every year for the division title.

I think it would be neat to see The Axe rivalry truly heat up on both sides, but let's be honest. It sucks and it has sucked for a long time- regardless of what side you are on. For you it has sucked because you never win the thing. For us it has sucked because it's never interesting. For the country it has sucked because it's has no national ramifications.

That being said, I hope we beat the crap out of you next week!

Top Bottom