Who are you cheering for in NCAA Championship game? DUKE or wisconsin?

Who are you cheering for in NCAA Championship game? DUKE or wisconsin?

• DUKE

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • wisconsin

Votes: 33 34.0%

• Total voters
Go B1G and go Wisconsin!!! Jealousy and Envy sure is ugly!!! I would never cheer for the Packers, but college sports are different.

If Wisconsin wins it will be the first time since 1940-41 that a B1G team won the National Championship in basketball and football. That year, the two teams were the Badgers in basketball and in football.....the Gophers.

Go B1G and go Wisconsin!!! Jealousy and Envy sure is ugly!!! I would never cheer for the Packers, but college sports are different.

If Wisconsin wins it will be the first time since 1940-41 that a B1G team won the National Championship in basketball and football. That year, the two teams were the Badgers in basketball and in football.....the Gophers.

Go Badgers,

My opinion is that Gopher fans should never cheer for UW. UW winning a national title enhances their brand immensely thus causing great harm to your team.

Great harm? The logic has several flaws, enhancing another brand does not instantly gravitate every recruit in the nation to the NCAA winner. Also since Pitino and other Big Ten coaches recruit nationally, by your logic Duke winning does the same thing and recruiting nationally no longer works. Think of it as a national recruit might respect the Big Ten conference and think a jump to the NBA can come more easily in Madison or an other Big Ten club then elsewhere.

I'm surprised how many people really believe badger fans would be cheering for us if things were reversed.

Plenty would, those that generally like the Big Ten. Or respect a conference opponent.

I think this sounds way too much like SEC fans in football. Fans pound their chest because of the success of other programs. Minnesota had nothing to do with the success of OSU in football and WI in basketball.

Plenty would, those that generally like the Big Ten. Or respect a conference opponent.

I guess we know different people. Most I know would be just fine if we went 0-18 in the Big Ten every year.

As a Gopher fan in Madison for 7 years I never met a Badger fan that said something nice about the Gophers. It's a rivalry. WTF is wrong with some of you people. They are insufferable without much of a reason nationally. Why actually want to give them a reason? I'm perplexed. Hand in your fan card

As a Gopher fan in Madison for 7 years I never met a Badger fan that said something nice about the Gophers. It's a rivalry. WTF is wrong with some of you people. They are insufferable without much of a reason nationally. Why actually want to give them a reason? I'm perplexed. Hand in your fan card

What if nobody gives an F what any Badger fan thinks? What if attending the U made us independent thinkers instead of group-thinking slack-jawed UW grads?

Cheering for a Wisconsin team is absurd. You don't have to hate them but you sure as hell don't root for them.

Except Minnesota is not competing against Duke for recruits. You have to compete with UW for recruits before you will ever recruit nationally on Dukes level. Plus you rarely will play Duke. do not claim you went head to head with Duke for Tyus jones either because he knew from 9th grade on it would be MSU,Kansas or Duke

This Wisky squad has slowly earned my respect. Anyone who watches basketball has to feel the same or has a huge case of denial. I enjoy how they play the game as they have battled their way to the final without help from "McDonalds". Same with NDSU football.

I yearn for the time again when a Gophers basketball and football team has earned the right to compete for a national championship. In the meantime, jealousy and envy is rampant in Gopherland.

But I absolutely have no problem with a Badgers win. Their players deserve it.

Come next Winter, I will once again hope that the Badgers loose every game just as I do for football.

This Wisky squad has slowly earned my respect. Anyone who watches basketball has to feel the same or has a huge case of denial. I enjoy how they play the game as they have battled their way to the final without help from "McDonalds". Same with NDSU football.
+1 If Wisconsin wins a national championship in basketball, it gives me hope that the Gophers could do the same in the future.

I agree with you. The fun of college sports is hated rivals. I doubt if the roles were reversed that Madison would be cheering for us.

Go Duke!

I yearn for the time again when a Gophers basketball and football team has earned the right to compete for a national championship. In the meantime, jealousy and envy is rampant in Gopherland.

But I absolutely have no problem with a Badgers win. Their players deserve it.

Come next Winter, I will once again hope that the Badgers loose every game just as I do for football.

Of course there is jealousy and envy. Badger fans (basketball and football) have gotten to enjoy more success in the past few years than most of us have experienced in our lifetime. I don't get why that is so taboo to say. Teams they have zero influence over have accomplished a ton more than the teams we have zero influence over.

They've also earned my respect, but they're our rivals, and their fans get to enjoy success year after year. I want them to lose.

+1 If Wisconsin wins a national championship in basketball, it gives me hope that the Gophers could do the same in the future.

Huh? So if UW loses by 1 tonight, your hope for Minnesota could win the national title diminishes?

I can't figure out if I want UW to lose on a last second buzzer shot or lose by 50. Both would be delightful. Anyone who thinks UW fans would cheer for the Gophers have never lived in Wisconsin.

Of course there is jealousy and envy. Badger fans (basketball and football) have gotten to enjoy more success in the past few years than most of us have experienced in our lifetime. I don't get why that is so taboo to say. Teams they have zero influence over have accomplished a ton more than the teams we have zero influence over.

They've also earned my respect, but they're our rivals, and their fans get to enjoy success year after year. I want them to lose.

Well said, and captures my sentiments exactly.

Trevor chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Trevor chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Man, I love Trevor. He was such a fun player to watch while he was here, and he still keeps flying the flag high now that he's gone.

If you're a true Gopher fan, you do NOT want WI to win it all. It will hurt our recruiting. Believe it. Them being in the Final Four will hurt enough but to have our biggest rival - not too mention Madison being so close - will have impact on our recruiting.

I'll never understand the "I always root for the Big Ten....". To some degree it makes sense but not when it's your biggest rival. Think of the impact on the University of Minnesota and not how "great it is for the Big Ten".

damn, this might be the saddest thread on a site of incredibly sad and cynical threads.

#betterdeadthanred ALWAYS!

If you're a true Gopher fan, you do NOT want WI to win it all. It will hurt our recruiting. Believe it. Them being in the Final Four will hurt enough but to have our biggest rival - not too mention Madison being so close - will have impact on our recruiting.

I'll never understand the "I always root for the Big Ten....". To some degree it makes sense but not when it's your biggest rival. Think of the impact on the University of Minnesota and not how "great it is for the Big Ten".

I'm not sure I totally buy this. When it comes to head-to-head recruiting, the damage has already been done. Wisconsin develops players and finishes in the upper division. A national championship does not affect those facts. Although this run might get them into the living room of a national 5-star recruit, that's a dude we're not in the living room of anyways. If I'm a savvy recruiter - and I know Pitino is - he sells Minnesota as having the potential to do what the Badgers have done, which the U does have.

"cheering for" is a very strong statement. Who could ever cheer for Wisconsin? I can understand arguments to prefer a win by a B1G school, but that is a far cry from "cheering for". I get that many couldn't even understand that, but regardless... it isn't CHEERING FOR Wisconsin. The way polls are written can make a big difference. When I cheer for something, I pump my fist, clap, and potentially wear team colors. I reserve that for the Gophers.

I'm not sure I totally buy this. When it comes to head-to-head recruiting, the damage has already been done. Wisconsin develops players and finishes in the upper division. A national championship does not affect those facts. Although this run might get them into the living room of a national 5-star recruit, that's a dude we're not in the living room of anyways. If I'm a savvy recruiter - and I know Pitino is - he sells Minnesota as having the potential to do what the Badgers have done, which the U does have.

You're right for the most part but adding "National Champs" sure does sound good. It would to me if I were a recruit.

The one thing I just can't fathom is how everyone here clamors on and on about how great the talent is in MN, how overlooked we are, under respected, etc. And yet in a game that includes a kid FROM MINNESOTA starting at PG. We cheer for Wisconsin. Makes absolutely zero sense to me.

"cheering for" is a very strong statement. Who could ever cheer for Wisconsin? I can understand arguments to prefer a win by a B1G school, but that is a far cry from "cheering for". I get that many couldn't even understand that, but regardless... it isn't CHEERING FOR Wisconsin. The way polls are written can make a big difference. When I cheer for something, I pump my fist, clap, and potentially wear team colors. I reserve that for the Gophers.

+1. Real fans know the difference between rooting and acknowledging a preference for one of two unwanted results.

The one thing I just can't fathom is how everyone here clamors on and on about how great the talent is in MN, how overlooked we are, under respected, etc. And yet in a game that includes a kid FROM MINNESOTA starting at PG. We cheer for Wisconsin. Makes absolutely zero sense to me.

A hypothetical: What if the matchup was the same two teams tonight but here were the starting lineups of both teams:

Wisconsin: C- Kaminsky (IL); PF- Hayes (OH); SF- Dekker (WI); SG- Gasser (WI); PG- Koenig (WI)

Duke: C- Okafor (IL); PF- Reid Travis (MN); SF- Macura (MN); SG- Vaughn (MN); PG- Jones (MN)

Still think it would be a good idea to pull for Blue Blood Duke? Would Duke winning be a positive and help the Gophers with keeping MN blue chippers from leaving the state for greener pastures?

A hypothetical: What if the matchup was the same two teams tonight but here were the starting lineups of both teams: Wisconsin: C- Kaminsky (IL); PF- Hayes (OH); SF- Dekker (WI); SG- Gasser (WI); PG- Koenig (WI) Duke: C- Okafor (IL); PF- Reid Travis (MN); SF- Macura (MN); SG- Vaughn (MN); PG- Jones (MN) Still think it would be a good idea to pull for Blue Blood Duke? Would Duke winning be a positive and help the Gophers with keeping MN blue chippers from leaving the state for greener pastures?

Even if Duke loses today, Amir Coffey isn't going to say to himself. Oh, if I go to Duke I will lose the national title? Looks like I should stay home and hopefully make the tourney!

So to answer your question, yes, Duke every time.

Minnesota won't realistically be competing with Duke for recruits any time soon. We may be on the same list, but they wouldn't be picking MN over Duke due to the great success of the program it would be for reasons that won't change regardless if Duke wins or not.

Top Bottom