Who are we supposed to fire or bench this week?

It was not fine. The two three and outs that went Run-Run-Pass were not fine. The play design on some of those QB counters with Kramer running it were not fine either.
what still puzzles me is he is sitting up top and can see the d alignment, yet there are too many times where he’s not calling a decent play to take advantage of what the D is doing.

What puzzles me is this: with so many keyboard coordinators out there who know exactly what plays should be called, why are there still so many incompetent coordinators actually calling plays (and getting paid handsomely to do so)?

It seems so wrong, what with all the brilliant-but-unappreciated keyboard coordinators wasting away, stuck doing whatever it is they do for a living (when they're not busy second-guessing the actual play callers).

These are the guys who know which plays should be called! Duh!

The solution seems so simple as to be almost ridiculous: We should fire all current coordinators, and let the keyboard coordinators call the plays! Win-win! Every team's play calling would instantly improve!

Last edited:

If Nebraska wins, fire Scott Frost.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but my take is that if there was no intent from MDT to run into and knock over the ref then the ref should just swallow his ego and let it go. Had the collision resulted in MDT falling over would we have benefitted in any way? Of course not. So why penalize us just because the outcome happened to be that the ref was the one on his backside?
The ref has a “right of way” while play is going up to the outer edge of the white sideline and even then only coaches are to be that close to the field.
The reason teams get a sideline warning is for violating that rule by being in the “right of way” area. What MDT did was far beyond just being in the area and he didn’t even slow down after he ran the ref over.

Interesting stat facts...

The bottom three teams in the B1G, on offense, based on yards per game:

----------------------------

#12) Minnesota — 962 yds. rushing / 709 yds. passing / 1671 total yds. / 334.2 yds. per game

#13) Wisconsin — 690 yds. rushing / 925 yds. passing / 1615 total yds. / 323.0 yds. per game

#14) Iowa — 630 yds. rushing / 970 yds. passing / 1600 total yds. / 320.0 yds. per game

-----------------------------

That's right; Iowa, the team ranked #3 in the country, the team most folks say is the best in the B1G...

... is last in the B1G in total offense!

Nope.

— When I pointed out that the weather may have impacted the play calling, you asked if the weather was the same for both teams.

— I promptly answered your question by saying, YES, the weather was the same for both teams, but only one team overcame the weather, committed zero turnovers and WON THE GAME. I also pointed out the Gophers' offense was superior in yards per play, both passing and rushing.

— You then came back with some blather about 'diversity opinion'.
Talk about blather ... we know who won the game and who had zero turnovers. We watched the game; some Gopher fans were even there. We played great defense, our punter was exceptional, and the offense executed. None of which changes the fact that its a long season and Sanford has been a limitation on the offense. That is not how we want to go into the tough games to come.

What puzzles me is this: with so many keyboard coordinators out there who know exactly what plays should be called, why are there still so many incompetent coordinators actually calling plays (and getting paid handsomely to do so)?

It seems so wrong, what with all the brilliant-but-unappreciated keyboard coordinators wasting away, stuck doing whatever it is they do for a living (when they're not busy second-guessing the actual play callers).

These are the guys who know what plays should be called! Duh!

The solution seems so simple as to be almost ridiculous: We should fire all current coordinators, and let the keyboard coordinators call the plays! Win-win! Every team's play calling would instantly improve!
Why would we fire Rossi? The defense is improving. Kind of dumb to suggest he should be fired.

The ref has a “right of way” while play is going up to the outer edge of the white sideline and even then only coaches are to be that close to the field.
The reason teams get a sideline warning is for violating that rule by being in the “right of way” area. What MDT did was far beyond just being in the area and he didn’t even slow down after he ran the ref over.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of that, and now I can see why it was called the way it was.

Why would we fire Rossi? The defense is improving. Kind of dumb to suggest he should be fired.

I agree.

On offense, though, I'd bet on the keyboard coordinators being flawless in the clutch. God knows they seem to have it all figured out. Give 'em a shot, I say.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but my take is that if there was no intent from MDT to run into and knock over the ref then the ref should just swallow his ego and let it go. Had the collision resulted in MDT falling over would we have benefitted in any way? Of course not. So why penalize us just because the outcome happened to be that the ref was the one on his backside?
Because it’s the responsibility of athletes running onto the field to make sure they are not running the officials over from behind. It’s one thing if it’s on the field during a play, it’s completely different coming off the bench. Again, it wasn’t a bump it was a full on knock down. If you’re a college athlete and can’t avoid blindsiding an official when you go onto the field then you need to be penalized and coached up. 😁

Talk about blather ... we know who won the game and who had zero turnovers. We watched the game; some Gopher fans were even there. We played great defense, our punter was exceptional, and the offense executed. None of which changes the fact that its a long season and Sanford has been a limitation on the offense. That is not how we want to go into the tough games to come.

Oh, so you are aware who won the game?

Wow. Good to know.

Last edited:

These are the guys who know what plays should be called! Duh!

Online voting. Put up 2 to 3 potential plays on line then go with the one receiving the most votes. Couldn't slow down the plays anymore then it already does.

Online voting. Put up 2 to 3 potential plays on line then go with the one receiving the most votes. Couldn't slow down the plays anymore then it already does.

Exactly.

It seems beyond obvious that the keyboard coordinators could quickly improve things. Let's do it, I say.

My guess: We'd see 52 passes to the tight ends, per game.

Because it’s the responsibility of athletes running onto the field to make sure they are not running the officials over from behind. It’s one thing if it’s on the field during a play, it’s completely different coming off the bench. Again, it wasn’t a bump it was a full on knock down. If you’re a college athlete and can’t avoid blindsiding an official when you go onto the field then you need to be penalized and coached up. 😁
Anyone know the time stamp of this play? I have a friend that's a college football ref that I'd like to ask if the rule was interpreted correctly.

A story I heard, perhaps apocryphal, from when Joe Namath was playing QB at Alabama...

Supposedly, his mom gave him this bit of football strategy/advice:

When they bunch up in the middle, run around the end!

This is from the rule book

Contacting an Official ARTICLE 4. Persons subject to the rules (Rule 1-1-6) shall not intentionally contact a game official forcibly during the game.

So intention does matter.

Exactly.

It seems beyond obvious that the keyboard coordinators could quickly improve things. Let's do it, I say.

Throw in a couple of reverses and no RUTM and I think you're on to something!

These are the guys who know which plays should be called! Duh!

How many coaches get fired each year? How many either go on to get additional chances where they maybe succeed...or fail again? Are crowdsourced opinions/keyboard coordinators always wrong? Or just when Remember Murray disagrees with them? Having the benefit of no personal relationship or loyalty to a perhaps great human like Robb Smith who was failing as a coach, could some subset of fans possibly have less biased perspective than a head coach?

But really, why are so many of your posts so condescending? As if you believe you are the authority on reasonable thinking, and so many other posters need you to forcefully confront them. OTB battles not wasting enough of your free time?

This week hasn't changed. It's still Mike Sanford. Same guy since his hire.

How many coaches get fired each year? How many either go on to get additional chances where they maybe succeed...or fail again? Are crowdsourced opinions/keyboard coordinators always wrong? Or just when Remember Murray disagrees with them? Having the benefit of no personal relationship or loyalty to a perhaps great human like Robb Smith who was failing as a coach, could some subset of fans possibly have less biased perspective than a head coach?

But really, why are so many of your posts so condescending? As if you believe you are the authority on reasonable thinking, and so many other posters need you to forcefully confront them. OTB battles not wasting enough of your free time?

Are you saying Robb Smith should have been replaced by 'crowdsourced opinions' and/or keyboard coordinators?

Interesting stat facts...

The bottom three teams in the B1G, on offense, based on yards per game:

----------------------------

#12) Minnesota — 962 yds. rushing / 709 yds. passing / 1671 total yds. / 334.2 yds. per game

#13) Wisconsin — 690 yds. rushing / 925 yds. passing / 1615 total yds. / 323.0 yds. per game

#14) Iowa — 630 yds. rushing / 970 yds. passing / 1600 total yds. / 320.0 yds. per game
I had forgotten that they changed the rules of college football this year:

if you gain more yards than the other team, you win the game.

:sneaky:

I had forgotten that they changed the rules of college football this year:

if you gain more yards than the other team, you win the game.

:sneaky:

You're right; it's about wins.

Minnesota beat Purdue, despite gaining fewer yards. That's a win — and, in my opinion, a big win. It was on the road, against a favored opponent, in awful conditions. And yet, some folks here to seem to prefer Purdue's offensive philosophy over Minnesota's. They find Purdue's style more 'imaginative', perhaps, or 'less predictable'... whatever.

But I'm with you, Mpls.; I like the win. I prefer results over flash. And so to bolster my point, I presented Iowa as Exhibit A. Now, many here say the Hawkeyes are the best team in the B1G. Yet Iowa is dead last in the B1G yards gained category. They score something like 40% of their points as a result of short fields created by opponents' turnovers, and the Hawks don't turn the ball over themselves. Iowa football is many things, but flashy ain't one of them.

To me, it has always seemed obvious that Fleck and Co. are attempting to play with the a similar general concept, although not with an identical offensive system. It's a similar concept to Iowa's in that it stresses ball control, protecting the football, dominating time of possession in order to keep your defense rested, etc.

This seems to drive the keyboard coordinators on GopherHole batshit crazy — even though it's always been Fleck's philosophy. It's who he is. He has had some real success with it, as have Iowa and Wisconsin, to a greater degree.

But, hey — by all means, keep venting about 'RUTM', you keyboard coordinators. You have that right.

Exactly.

You are going to have to give some of the guys on here a break. They --like you--- love Gopher football and they all want this team to be successful! The Bowling Green game was a disaster and it is the type of game coming in favored by 31 points and losing outright, that gets coaches fired. Those results were not satisfactory and it reeks of incompetence or indifference. The fans that viewed the game start pointing fingers at the cause and it didn't take too long for them to start looking at the offensive playcalling.

There was no excuse -- they have just got to be better than that. I think PJ Fleck deserves a break as he has won some big games before, but I am NOT sold on Sanford and his playcalling. I will say the playcalling was better for the Purdue game than it was for Bowling Green and the result showed that. I say he is on high watch the rest of the year though. Just as the players are challenged to be better each game, the coaches should be challenged to improve each week, too!

You are going to have to give some of the guys on here a break. They --like you--- love Gopher football and they all want this team to be successful! The Bowling Green game was a disaster and it is the type of game coming in favored by 31 points and losing outright, that gets coaches fired. Those results were not satisfactory and it reeks of incompetence or indifference. The fans that viewed the game start pointing fingers at the cause and it didn't take too long for them to start looking at the offensive playcalling.

There was no excuse -- they have just got to be better than that. I think PJ Fleck deserves a break as he has won some big games before, but I am NOT sold on Sanford and his playcalling. I will say the playcalling was better for the Purdue game than it was for Bowling Green and the result showed that. I say he is on high watch the rest of the year though. Just as the players are challenged to be better each game, the coaches should be challenged to improve each week, too!

I agree with everything you said regarding the Bowling Green game being an outright disaster, and obviously unacceptable. However, the constant, unending ranting about offensive play calling started long before Bowling Green.

Now, to be fair to our fellow GopherHolers, it should also be pointed out that virtually identical rants about offensive play calling can be found on pretty much every college football fan board.

Here are the only points I'm trying to make:

— There are good and bad play callers in college football. They come and they go. However, I sincerely doubt that the next great college football offensive play caller is currently venting on GopherHole.

— If this Gopher offense is too conservative for you or for me me or for anyone else, we had better buckle up and gird our loins, because a radical change in offensive philosophy is not in the cards. Yes, Fleck might tweak things and he might even change coordinators (he's done it before), but the underlying foundational ideas — protect the ball, run the ball, dominate time of possession, in other words the 'Tressel Ball' stuff — is going to be here for as long as Fleck is here.

If you hate watching a running back take a handoff and 'RUTM', you're going to be miserable as a Gopher fan, because they are going to 'RUTM' pretty frequently.

Last edited:

I agree with everything you said regarding the Bowling Green game being an outright disaster, and obviously unacceptable. However, the constant, unending ranting about offensive play calling started long before Bowling Green.

Now, to be fair to our fellow GopherHolers, it should also be pointed out that virtually identical rants about offensive play calling can be found on pretty much every college football fan board.

— There are good and bad play callers in college football. They come and they go. However, I sincerely doubt that the next great college football offensive play caller is currently venting on GopherHole.

— If this Gopher offense is too conservative for you or for me me or for anyone else, we had better buckle up and gird our loins, because a radical change in offensive philosophy is not in the cards. Yes, Fleck might tweak things and he might even change coordinators (he's done it before), but the underlying foundational ideas — protect the ball, run the ball, dominate time of possession, in other words the 'Tressel Ball' stuff — is going to be here for as long as Fleck is here.

If you hate watching a running back take a handoff and 'RUTM', you're going to be miserable as a Gopher fan, because they are going to 'RUTM' pretty frequently.
Agreed with basically everything you said. I think what it comes down to is that we saw a different offense in 2019 that excelled in the way that it operated. Now, whether this was because of personnel or play calling, or some combination of the two could be debated. But what is obvious is that there has been a change in philosophy, a simplification if you will, which has not produced an offense that has flourished so far.

I think Gopher fans don't mind watching the run - they just don't like seeing all the one or two yard gains especially behind an offensive line filled with 5th and 6th year seniors!! Of all the Gopher offenses I have ever seen, and we have seen a LOT!!!! Brewster even tried a different one every year!!! I liked the Glen Mason offense and that featured a ton of running. It was unstoppable - even the best run defenses in the country couldn't stop it and they KNEW it was coming!!

It's not the running that drives people crazy, it's the offense where the defense knows what's coming and CAN stop it. You have GOT to try something else - mix it up but you can't do the same thing over and over with the same result!! They did try to go long a few times vs. Purdue and guess what - it opened up the running game!

Your points about PJ Fleck are well taken - but remember not too many people were complaining two years ago when the offense was fairly high powered. The "Protect the ball, run the ball, dominate time of possession" mantra is a good one and I think it is a winning philosophy. I just hope we are smart enough to put in a good game plan vs. Nebraska because this is going to be an extremely tough game and it would be a huge win if we can pull it off!!!

You're right; it's about wins.

Minnesota beat Purdue, despite gaining fewer yards. That's a win — and, in my opinion, a big win. It was on the road, against a favored opponent, in awful conditions. And yet, some folks here to seem to prefer Purdue's offensive philosophy over Minnesota's. They find Purdue's style more 'imaginative', perhaps, or 'less predictable'... whatever.

But I'm with you, Mpls.; I like the win. I prefer results over flash. And so to bolster my point, I presented Iowa as Exhibit A. Now, many here say the Hawkeyes are the best team in the B1G. Yet Iowa is dead last in the B1G yards gained category. They score something like 40% of their points as a result of short fields created by opponents' turnovers, and the Hawks don't turn the ball over themselves. Iowa football is many things, but flashy ain't one of them.

To me, it has always seemed obvious that Fleck and Co. are attempting to play with the a similar general concept, although not with an identical offensive system. It's a similar concept to Iowa's in that it stresses ball control, protecting the football, dominating time of possession in order to keep your defense rested, etc.

This seems to drive the keyboard coordinators on GopherHole batshit crazy — even though it's always been Fleck's philosophy. It's who he is. He has had some real success with it, as have Iowa and Wisconsin, to a greater degree.

But, hey — by all means, keep venting about 'RUTM', you keyboard coordinators. You have that right.
Murray, I know your schtick. You like to challenge those that are challenging the coaches/team.

And I'm here for it. I support it. It provokes discussion, and that makes the board interesting. Keep doing what you do.

That said: I think you're mainly right, but you're missing or glossing over one key thing. That is, you don't have to be flashy and gain lots of yards, to be the opposite of boring and (worse) predictable.

You can incorporate simple aspects like draws, screens, power plays, other types of play action, etc. These aren't anything fancy at all. To me, RPO is fancier than those, in complexity of what the players have to think about pre-snap and/or in reaction to the defense, even if it looks simplistic.

Maybe that's part of the problem? Maybe our offensive players are too reactionary. Maybe they should just call a play, then go out and ram it down the defense's throat, no matter how they line up. Wild guess.

Top Bottom