Who are we supposed to fire or bench this week?

I sincerely doubt that the next great college football offensive play caller is currently venting on GopherHole.
I doubt it, too.

What I don't doubt, however, is that we already have a guy on our staff, that knows the offensive players very well, who would do a much better job than Sanford. And did a very nice job in the Auburn bowl game.

It's not the running that drives people crazy, it's the offense where the defense knows what's coming and CAN stop it. You have GOT to try something else - mix it up but you can't do the same thing over and over with the same result!! They did try to go long a few times vs. Purdue and guess what - it opened up the running game!
I mean, you can ... if it's working!

The real thing that drives people insane, is when you do the same thing over and over again ... and it never works!

It's like, you tell yourself "ah man, if that one guy would've gotten that one block ... it's a touchdown! We're almost there, it has to work, run it again!" ... but then, something else screws up. It's just not going work. At least on that day. You gotta move on.

Murray would be the best boss possible - if results are good credit to organization and management and if results are bad it’s…somebody’s fault.

Once you realize Murray’s ongoing schtick is more about criticizing other posters and making himself feel better his own posts start to make more sense.

Murray would be the best boss possible - if results are good credit to organization and management and if results are bad it’s…somebody’s fault.

Once you realize Murray’s ongoing schtick is more about criticizing other posters and making himself feel better his own posts start to make more sense.

I just get tired of the same old stuff. The offensive play calling is a bugaboo on just about every college football fan board there is, along with calls for the second string QB to get more playing time. Old hat.

No, old Murr just isn't too bright. He thinks Rossi should be fired.

I just get tired of the same old stuff. The offensive play calling is a bugaboo on just about every college football fan board there is, along with calls for the second string QB to get more playing time. Old hat.
I don't think people complained much about play calling in 2019.

I don't think people complained much about play calling in 2019.

Maybe not. I wouldn't bet the house on it, though.

Wasn't there a 'Fire Rossi' thread after the Gophers lost the opener to Ohio State?

The torches-and-pitchforks folk seem to have focused on a new target these days. Short attention spans, I guess.

Throw in a couple of reverses and no RUTM and I think you're on to something!
I would like to see more plays setting up other plays. They are probably doing it and I don't see it but I'm not so sure.

For example
Line Bucko up at WR, run reverse. If that works you line up in that configuration later and screen pass to the TE on the side Bucko vacates.

Our playbook just appears very vanilla when watching.

Also like to see some hurry up RPO and let Tanner read the d and react. Challenge him and see what happens.

He still has the work in the same building during the same hours as the person he walked in on cheating on him. Firing would only do him a favor

You stay classy...

It is funny how butthurt people get because he doesn't like Fleck and loves to point out how whiny Gopher Football fans can be. They prove his point every time he does it. You would think people would learn since it is what Reusse does.

Of course Meatsauce is also paid handsomely to act like like this on one of the highest rated shows in the country...so he is fine.

I would like to see more plays setting up other plays. They are probably doing it and I don't see it but I'm not so sure.

For example
Line Bucko up at WR, run reverse. If that works you line up in that configuration later and screen pass to the TE on the side Bucko vacates.

Our playbook just appears very vanilla when watching.

Also like to see some hurry up RPO and let Tanner read the d and react. Challenge him and see what happens.
Maybe they try that in practice and he isn't good at it. I love Tanner but he never came across to me as someone who was a great decision maker on the fly.

I am not a big fan of Sanford as a playcaller...but part of this is I don't think we have the personnel to run the offense they want to run. It is easy to take chances when you have a couple WRs who you trust. I like CAB but he is not there yet and he isn't on the field enough to force defenses to honor him in the gameplan. Morgan is very good at slants and high percentage throws but if all you have is running plays and no deep threat they can keep guys close and basically clog up the lanes.

Now a good OC would try something else to maybe throw a wrench into what the defense is doing (Purdue was begging to be screened on as was Bowling Green) which is where my issue with Sanford is. (and sometimes Fleck) You have to be able to say "ok our plan isn't working, lets try something else". Now again, maybe they don't trust that Morgan can make those changes (they obviously have never been big on letting Morgan change plays on the line and even they have rarely done it other than to change the formation) but then that is a whole different set of problems. As the OC though you really aren't putting him or the team in a position to succeed...

RememberMurray is right though in that everyone always whines about the OCs. Every OC (and DC outside of 1 for that matter) we have had has been attacked for lack of creativity and vanilla offense. I know people whined about KC (I haven't seen one OC not whined about since Glen Mason was coach) when he was OC and if everyone got their wish tomorrow and Sanford was replaced by Simon it would take at most half a season for them to turn on him too. Fans always think the grass is greener...the backup QB is the answer, a different coach is the key and different coordinators are all that is holding us back from championships. When we run high flying offenses and lose the fans say "why can't we just be like Iowa and run a boring offense and win...winning is all that matters!" and then when we do that it is "ugh this is so boring!! The coaches have no creativity so our wins don't mean as much!!". Fans are just a reactionary bunch.

Now just because the team won doesn't mean the issues don't exist, it just means you are willing to put up with it because the win is what matters. If the team doesn't win though that is when it becomes a problem. Personally I hope he is not the OC next year but unless something really bad happens in the Big Ten season I don't want him fired until the offseason.

To me, the biggest mystery surrounding the 2021 Gopher offense is: why hasn't the offensive line been as dominant as we'd hoped they would be?

They've played very well at times, but at other times they have looked less than ordinary.

Then again, when you compare our rushing offense with that of our rivals (yards per carry):

Minnesota 4.2

Wisconsin 3.7

Iowa 3.4

Kind of shocking, to me anyway.

The top three defenses in the B1G vs. the run (opponents' yards per game):

1) Wisconsin 45.3 yds/game (1.6 yds/att)

2) Minnesota 77.0 yds/game (2.8 yds/att)

3) Iowa 87.0 yds/game (2.7 yds/att)

Maybe not. I wouldn't bet the house on it, though.

Wasn't there a 'Fire Rossi' thread after the Gophers lost the opener to Ohio State?

The torches-and-pitchforks folk seem to have focused on a new target these days. Short attention spans, I guess.
You should always bet the house on things that happened in the past. You can just go look it up.

Maybe they try that in practice and he isn't good at it. I love Tanner but he never came across to me as someone who was a great decision maker on the fly.

I am not a big fan of Sanford as a playcaller...but part of this is I don't think we have the personnel to run the offense they want to run. It is easy to take chances when you have a couple WRs who you trust. I like CAB but he is not there yet and he isn't on the field enough to force defenses to honor him in the gameplan. Morgan is very good at slants and high percentage throws but if all you have is running plays and no deep threat they can keep guys close and basically clog up the lanes.

Now a good OC would try something else to maybe throw a wrench into what the defense is doing (Purdue was begging to be screened on as was Bowling Green) which is where my issue with Sanford is. (and sometimes Fleck) You have to be able to say "ok our plan isn't working, lets try something else". Now again, maybe they don't trust that Morgan can make those changes (they obviously have never been big on letting Morgan change plays on the line and even they have rarely done it other than to change the formation) but then that is a whole different set of problems. As the OC though you really aren't putting him or the team in a position to succeed...

RememberMurray is right though in that everyone always whines about the OCs. Every OC (and DC outside of 1 for that matter) we have had has been attacked for lack of creativity and vanilla offense. I know people whined about KC (I haven't seen one OC not whined about since Glen Mason was coach) when he was OC and if everyone got their wish tomorrow and Sanford was replaced by Simon it would take at most half a season for them to turn on him too. Fans always think the grass is greener...the backup QB is the answer, a different coach is the key and different coordinators are all that is holding us back from championships. When we run high flying offenses and lose the fans say "why can't we just be like Iowa and run a boring offense and win...winning is all that matters!" and then when we do that it is "ugh this is so boring!! The coaches have no creativity so our wins don't mean as much!!". Fans are just a reactionary bunch.

Now just because the team won doesn't mean the issues don't exist, it just means you are willing to put up with it because the win is what matters. If the team doesn't win though that is when it becomes a problem. Personally I hope he is not the OC next year but unless something really bad happens in the Big Ten season I don't want him fired until the offseason.

The team lost to Bowling Green. It wasn’t an ugly win. It was an ugly loss and 100% on the coaches, in my mind. The Purdue win was a nice step in the right direction, yes, and PJF‘s staffs have a history of tepid living on the edge performances in the non-conference games with subsequent improvement in October and November. These things are true and I’m still optimistic about this team. It’s also true the Bowling Green game was really bad. Historically bad. Fair to say it. There are probably dozens if not hundreds of offensive coordinators around the country that can or could do what Sanford does. There are probably a handful of guys on the staff right now.

Maybe I will grow to like him.

I wasn't defending the Bowling Green loss...

I wasn't defending the Bowling Green loss...

The quote belowwas posted a little bit ago. This thread was started as a dig at those posters upset about the loss to BG. I guess I’m perplexed by your position. Are you suggesting the staff is not responsible for the product on the field?

Now just because the team won doesn't mean the issues don't exist, it just means you are willing to put up with it because the win is what matters. If the team doesn't win though that is when it becomes a problem. ”

The quote belowwas posted a little bit ago. This thread was started as a dig at those posters upset about the loss to BG. I guess I’m perplexed by your position. Are you suggesting the staff is not responsible for the product on the field?

Now just because the team won doesn't mean the issues don't exist, it just means you are willing to put up with it because the win is what matters. If the team doesn't win though that is when it becomes a problem. ”

If you read that as a defense of the Bowling Green loss then you might want to go back to school and take a reading comp course. Hell even in your emphasis it says "if the team doesn't win though that is when it becomes a problem". You know, cause they lost, and it is a problem. People will take boring, awful games if you win consistently. Once you start losing a few of those awful games though the bottom falls out fast. Fleck and Co. have been playing with fire for years and it finally bit them. That is on them and every fan has the right to be upset about it. Fans also have the right to, after winning a more meaningful game the next week, think that it might have been an aberration and that those of us (notice I said us...I was too) that were upset might have jumped the gun a bit.

The previous paragraph was a general statement on how coordinators are ripped to shreds by fans, especially ours. I have been watching Gopher Football for almost 40 years and I can count on one hand the coordinators that were loved when they were here on either side of the ball. That is just how fans are. If the consensus was to hire "OC-A" and they did that would not hinder the desire to replace said coordinator by those same fans after a few lackluster games. That is the problem with being fans of a team that is usually somewhere between mediocre and good everyone else just looks better than we do. Every QB is better than ours, every scheme is smarter and so on. We just don't seem to have the patience to wait it out and see.

And again, I am saying all that as a guy who would rather we had a different OC.

Top Bottom