Who are we supposed to fire or bench this week?

Take what they give you. If you beat them when they do that, AND execute better than the defense on some of those plays and win the game, it is a sound offensive game plan. This is Big Ten football. In the end you have to take what they want you to do AND run the ball & STOP the run. Purdue didn’t run the ball and stop the run enough in the second half and Coach Fleck and his staff took advantage of that and won that BT game on the road, in the rain when trailing at half time. It was an excellent BT road win in the rain on that grass, drenched foreign territory football field. Well played by Gopher players and coaches!!!
No, not a sound offensive game plan. We won with good defense and good offensive execution with a limiting game plan and play calling. We can play better with the talent and experience we have.

No, not a sound offensive game plan. We won with good defense and good offensive execution with a limiting game plan and play calling. We can play better with the talent and experience we have.

Did you notice the weather at all? Just asking...

I get the sentiment. But incompetence never looks back either. It is too self-unaware to believe the past has any lessons for it.

Was the weather the same for both teams?

I'm glad you asked. The answer: Yes, it was the same for both teams!

I wonder, however, if you recall which team, in the rain, had zero turnovers, and actually won the game (hint: it was the team playing on the road), and which team turned the ball over twice, and lost the game.

Also:

The winning team averaged 9.4 yards per pass play; the losers 7.1.

The winning team averaged 3.6 yards per rush, the losers 2.3.

If it weren't for two dropped passes, those numbers would be skewed even more in the winners' favor.

I hope that information helps you cope with the fact that your team, um, won. You seem to be rather upset about it.

Last edited:

I get the sentiment. But incompetence never looks back either. It is too self-unaware to believe the past has any lessons for it.

The Gophers beat Purdue, on the road, in a downpour... and the 'lesson' you learn is that the team suffers from 'incompetence'. Interesting conclusion.

Your heightened state of 'self-awareness' is a true beacon for all of us to follow.

Last edited:

I nominate the officiating crew for the Ohio State and Bowling Green games. That same crew has bias against the Gophers.

How about the ref that got all butt hurt over a player accidentally running into him.
Is that what that call was about?

That was kinda horrible if that's what it was about. Refs get bumped all the time and don't sweat it.

That was kinda horrible if that's what it was about. Refs get bumped all the time and don't sweat it.
Not that guy. He got embarrass that he too wasn't paying attention and let his thin skin get the best of the situation.

Yes it is. Dew-Treadway didn't see the ref and accidentally knocked him over. The ref immediately got a sour lemons look on his face and threw the flag. He was embarrassed that he got knocked over and his special ref hat fell off on live TV.

Purdue was favored. We won … on the road … in bad weather. Obviously, heads must roll!
Like I mentioned in another thread: this is exactly the paradox we're stuck in.

We all know Sanford sucks. We know the team has a ceiling, because of his play-calling and game-planning. But if we still manage to win enough games, he will never be fired.

The season has to be ruined, before Fleck will fire him, and no one wants that, no matter what.

If he somehow got a better offer to be OC or HC somewhere else ... that's the only "easy button" out of it.

Not that guy. He got embarrass that he too wasn't paying attention and let his thin skin get the best of the situation.
18 charged onto the field practically before the play was over, in fact it may have been before the play was over. He hit the official pretty hard, hard enough to knock him on his ass, not just a bump into.

That’s 100% on 18 to pull his head out of his ass and look before crossing the street (like a 5yr old does). It was the right call. The official is rightfully watching the play with his back to the sideline. It’s ridiculous to say the official has any responsibility there.

18 charged onto the field practically before the play was over, in fact it may have been before the play was over. He hit the official pretty hard, hard enough to knock him on his ass, not just a bump into.

That’s 100% on 18 to pull his head out of his ass and look before crossing the street (like a 5yr old does). It was the right call. The official is rightfully watching the play with his back to the sideline. It’s ridiculous to say the official has any responsibility there.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but my take is that if there was no intent from MDT to run into and knock over the ref then the ref should just swallow his ego and let it go. Had the collision resulted in MDT falling over would we have benefitted in any way? Of course not. So why penalize us just because the outcome happened to be that the ref was the one on his backside?

The Gophers beat Purdue, on the road, in a downpour... and the 'lesson' you learn is that the team suffers from 'incompetence'. Interesting conclusion.

Your heightened state of 'self-awareness' is a true beacon for all of us to follow.
You're moving further away from the original conversation. I didn't say the coaches were incompetent at Purdue. And you know that. I was talking about Bowling Green. My comments from the get-go were about Bowling Green and why that still matters. You don't think it matters, fine. You think a narrow victory at Purdue erases what has been poor play calling the whole season and an historic disaster of a loss to BG...fine. But don't attribute things to people that they didn't say, so that you can attack the point you want to attack rather than the point that was made.

Last edited:

I'm glad you asked. The answer: Yes, it was the same for both teams!

I wonder, however, if you recall which team, in the rain, had zero turnovers, and actually won the game (hint: it was the team playing on the road), and which team turned the ball over twice, and lost the game.

Also:

The winning team averaged 9.4 yards per pass play; the losers 7.1.

The winning team averaged 3.6 yards per rush, the losers 2.3.

If it weren't for two dropped passes, those numbers would be skewed even more in the winners' favor.

I hope that information helps you cope with the fact that your team, um, won. You seem to be rather upset about it.
Not upset at all with a win at Purdue, ever. Don't feel play calling is suitable for the offensive talent and experience we have.

It is noted, however, that you are frequently upset with diversity opinion. Diverse being anything not aligned with what you post.

Not upset at all with a win at Purdue, ever. Don't feel play calling is suitable for the offensive talent and experience we have.

It is noted, however, that you are frequently upset with diversity opinion. Diverse being anything not aligned with what you post.

Nope.

— When I pointed out that the weather may have impacted the play calling, you asked if the weather was the same for both teams.

— I promptly answered your question by saying, YES, the weather was the same for both teams, but only one team overcame the weather, committed zero turnovers and WON THE GAME. I also pointed out the Gophers' offense was superior in yards per play, both passing and rushing.

— You then came back with some blather about 'diversity opinion'.

given the rainy weather, Sanfords play calling was fine.
It was not fine. The two three and outs that went Run-Run-Pass were not fine. The play design on some of those QB counters with Kramer running it were not fine either.
what still puzzles me is he is sitting up top and can see the d alignment, yet there are too many times where he’s not calling a decent play to take advantage of what the D is doing.

You're moving further away from the original conversation. I didn't say the coaches were incompetent at Purdue. And you know that. I was talking about Bowling Green. My comments from the get-go were about Bowling Green and why that still matters. You don't think it matters, fine. You think a narrow victory at Purdue erases what has been poor play calling the whole season and an historic disaster of a loss to BG...fine. But don't attribute things to people that they didn't say, so that you can attack the point you want to attack rather than the point that was made.

You're really stuck on Bowling Green, aren't you?

Top Bottom