Votes: 16 12.5%
  • JoJ

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Fox

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 21 16.4%

• Total voters
I don’t see anyone leaving. Now that Evans is not coming even TT will be hanging on.
If BJ can't find another big man to sign...he'll blow smoke up TT's butt and try to convince him to stay.

I’d say that’s true. Still does not mean he’s a good rotation player on a good big ten team.
Who has made that claim? The only relevant question is, would be better or worse this year without him?

Payne transferring makes no sense. He is a Minnesota kid logging big minutes for his hometown team. Until he gives some indication that he is planning to leave it seems foolish to try and create rumors about him leaving.
Payne leaving might make the most sense. He's our player who's most similar to Evans...and Evans left.

TT can come on down to Des Moines! I really think Treyton would do well (varying levels of course depending on the level of play in any conference outside of the Big Ten, where a finesse big man can exist. The amount of contact in the B1G is a joke and it only comes back to haunt them in the tourney when the refs don’t let everything go.

We have had Big Men who took 3 or 4 years to be serious contributors. Not saying that is TT, but I’m not saying he isn’t.
That’s actually pretty common. I was worried people were going to freak out when Evans didn’t light the world on fire right away. We also aren’t really known for developing our bigs regardless.

That’s actually pretty common. I was worried people were going to freak out when Evans didn’t light the world on fire right away. We also aren’t really known for developing our bigs regardless.
We haven't gotten many high end bigs in recent years but certainly Oturu developed between year 1 and year 2.

As I understand it, the "Henley will leave" steam is allegedly due to the AAU coach. Henley and Evans played for the same AAU program. Their AAU coach is "suspected" of being one of the people who was "encouraging" Evans to drop MN and seek greener pastures ($$$) somewhere else.

Ryan James in a podcast said that the AAU coach was also complaining that Henley should be getting more playing time at MN. So, that is apparently the rationale for thinking that Henley could leave.

Yeah if Payne leaves then we should just fold the program. His family is big on school and he wants to be local. I agree other teams wished they went after him harder, but there is more to it with the tampering. You have to get to the player through other avenues and the player has to have their people putting out feelers. Teams don’t just go to any random player and throw stuff out or it’d get reported.
Coaches can have a player send a direct message on instagram.. or during a game or postgame.. it happens unfortunately.

We have had Big Men who took 3 or 4 years to be serious contributors. Not saying that is TT, but I’m not saying he isn’t
He needs quicker feet. That probably isn’t going to happen. Typically bigs are either good at rebounding or they aren’t also. TT is not a good rebounder.

Coaches can have a player send a direct message on instagram.. or during a game or postgame.. it happens unfortunately.
Coaches can’t respond to the DM. That’s tampering. The channeling happens but it happens through a players AAU coach/parent/handler. They don’t typically directly contact the coaches. They’ll contact the other bball staff.

Looking at the obvious state of gopher basketball, Payne will be on other teams radar. If we//you think he won't then we are delusional and not realistic.

Gophers need to keep Payne and I want them to, but he is an appealing piece to a puzzle for other teams. This whole topic is speculation. I just hope he stays and the Gophers can put a few more pieces around him to put a quality product on the floor.
With a free transfer, no sitout, NIL prize money, absolutely tampering and inducement are going to happen.

I hope he stays. But even if he does, others at other schools will not.

Yeah if Payne leaves then we should just fold the program. His family is big on school and he wants to be local. I agree other teams wished they went after him harder, but there is more to it with the tampering. You have to get to the player through other avenues and the player has to have their people putting out feelers. Teams don’t just go to any random player and throw stuff out or it’d get reported.
Well yeah not random, but the stuff goes on behind closed doors and with "friends of the program" making the offers. No different than bagmen.

As I understand it, the "Henley will leave" steam is allegedly due to the AAU coach. Henley and Evans played for the same AAU program. Their AAU coach is "suspected" of being one of the people who was "encouraging" Evans to drop MN and seek greener pastures ($$$) somewhere else.

Ryan James in a podcast said that the AAU coach was also complaining that Henley should be getting more playing time at MN. So, that is apparently the rationale for thinking that Henley could leave.
And I bet the AAU coach gets a nice "kickback" to make it happen.

F'ing pathetic.

Well yeah not random, but the stuff goes on behind closed doors and with "friends of the program" making the offers. No different than bagmen.
Sure but Payne and his people would need to take the call. They won’t because they don’t have interest. His AAU coach is a former alum.

If the AAU coach thinks Henley hasn't played enough, he hasn't actually followed the team the past six weeks.

Evans is no doubt still swayed by his AAU coach. Henley has a year of new experiences and relationships guiding him. Ben is his coach, not a guy in looneyville.

He needs quicker feet. That probably isn’t going to happen. Typically bigs are either good at rebounding or they aren’t also. TT is not a good rebounder.
TT is a tall wing by mentality and skill set. He is not going to develop into a "big" for any team.

If the AAU coach thinks Henley hasn't played enough, he hasn't actually followed the team the past six weeks.

Evans is no doubt still swayed by his AAU coach. Henley has a year of new experiences and relationships guiding him. Ben is his coach, not a guy in looneyville.
Wonder if this has had any influence on Ben starting Henley the past month

Wonder if this has had any influence on Ben starting Henley the past month
No way of knowing anything for certain but I would hope the complaining of an AAU coach wouldn't influence the playing time decisions of a Big Ten coach.

Was happy TT wanted to play here and seems like he still wants to be a Gopher? Wouldn't be surprised if he stays with no Evans. That being said, TT looked bad at La Lumiere and bad here. He can go play in the summitt league.

No way of knowing anything for certain but I would hope the complaining of an AAU coach wouldn't influence the playing time decisions of a Big Ten coach.
This is my single takeaway from the Ben hiring. If the club stories are true this may end it or possibly diminish some noise.

why doesn't Betts get some time even in bad losses? if he's not good enough to play when you're getting blown out let him portal. at least give him a fair shot, maybe something will click.

If BJ can't find another big man to sign...he'll blow smoke up TT's butt and try to convince him to stay.
BS
Both Fox and Ihnen will hold their ground better than Gumby. Both Fox and Ihnen will play better defense than Gumby. TT seems like a good kid, but he is a defensive liability and an empty post player on offense. Ben would not beg him to stay here if TT were looking for it. TT has to determine for himself if he wants to step down to the Summit League or tough it out in the B1G where his minutes will be limited.

Top Bottom