Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Fox

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 21 16.4%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
A see a bleak future ahead, that could be avoided if we retain the right guys and find some help on the outside.

But before we wax poetic of Ben rising like a phoenix, who do you think may transfer?

Last edited:

I chose TT, Cooper and Henley.

Battle would just go play pro, but could since I hear he’s graduated.

I think Garcia would have to sit, so no.

Fox suddenly has a spot again spelling Payne.

I don’t think any of the Minnesotan freshmen go after getting 10-20 min per game.

Ihnen probably stays.

Henley could be the one who talked Evans out and will follow.

Cooper may want to go down to easier competition. Or if he has to sit, he may stay.

TT can’t get time during the worst season in Gopher history. He needs lower competition.

TT for sure....
i hate hearing about Henley and the idea hes gone. really hope to hang on to him but thats wishful thinking at this point
Cooper wont have any options but to go down a level. although i wouldnt lose any sleep over him moving on
Fox and Ihnen are such huge unknowns right now. With Evans out of the picture its probably better they both stay.....they aint gonna offer us much of anything but i dont think we can find anything better in the portal

I chose TT, Cooper and Henley.

Battle would just go play pro, but could since I hear he’s graduated.

I think Garcia would have to sit, so no.

Fox suddenly has a spot again spelling Payne.

I don’t think any of the Minnesotan freshmen go after getting 10-20 min per game.

Ihnen probably stays.

Henley could be the one who talked Evans out and will follow.

Cooper may want to go down to easier competition. Or if he has to sit, he may stay.

TT can’t get time during the worst season in Gopher history. He needs lower competition.
Why would Cooper step down in competition? He hasn't been good, but he's one of the only guys on our team that has had moments of looking like a legit Big 10 player.

Why would Cooper step down in competition? He hasn't been good, but he's one of the only guys on our team that has had moments of looking like a legit Big 10 player.
He's a quality Big Ten rotation player. He's just not a starting PG. I suppose it could work if he had the right guys around him, but he's limited. With him at the PG you can never go up tempo and you have a problem on defense. I hope we keep him and I hope we get better players to compete for those minutes.
To me at this point, I hope we only lose TT. That gives us two open guard spots and that should be enough if he can find the right guys. We need to have bunch of guys finish their careers at Minnesota and become boosters of the program as a place you can have a good experience.

He's a quality Big Ten rotation player. He's just not a starting PG. I suppose it could work if he had the right guys around him, but he's limited. With him at the PG you can never go up tempo and you have a problem on defense. I hope we keep him and I hope we get better players to compete for those minutes.
To me at this point, I hope we only lose TT. That gives us two open guard spots and that should be enough if he can find the right guys. We need to have bunch of guys finish their careers at Minnesota and become boosters of the program as a place you can have a good experience.
Depends on your definition of quality rotation player I guess.

Need both TT's and Ramberg's spots freed up. That gives us three portal additions, two guards and a post to spell Payne. He will never average more than 25 minutes a game due to fouls and the need to rest. Payne plays hard. He's better when he can get a few minutes off each half.

On balance Coop has been our second or third best player. Definitions need to fit reality.
The thing about Cooper is that he has swung SO far back and forth this year. Much of this is from playing against poor competition early in the year, but he has been a great shooter at times, a horrendous shooter at times, he makes some brilliant passes, and he is sure to make about 2 or 3 unbelievably bad passes every game. He makes some great blocks on defense at times, but his on ball defense is generally really poor. He is not fast with the ball, and he has not penetrated the lane much at all lately after doing it much more frequently earlier in the year.

He should not be a starting point guard on a Big Ten team. I wouldn't mind him off the bench next year, but if he's starting it will not bode well for this team next year.

Nobody but me thinks Betts is a real possibility. He’s getting little to no playing time next year unless others are gone and likely knows it too.

Need both TT's and Ramberg's spots freed up. That gives us three portal additions, two guards and a post to spell Payne. He will never average more than 25 minutes a game due to fouls and the need to rest. Payne plays hard. He's better when he can get a few minutes off each half.
I shudder to think what Johnson would bring in with three portal spots. More Samuels on this team would not help

Nobody but me thinks Betts is a real possibility. He’s getting little to no playing time next year unless others are gone and likely knows it too.
Honest question: Betts is listed at 6'8" 215. Fox is listed at 6'8" 210. Fox is widely considered to be a 4/5 and able to back up Payne if healthy. Betts being 4-5 years younger than Fox correct? Could Betts turn into a guy who could back up the 5? Only have his HS video to try and figure out his style. Seems if Fox can play the 5, then Betts could. Thoughts?

Honest question: Betts is listed at 6'8" 215. Fox is listed at 6'8" 210. Fox is widely considered to be a 4/5 and able to back up Payne if healthy. Betts being 4-5 years younger than Fox correct? Could Betts turn into a guy who could back up the 5? Only have his HS video to try and figure out his style. Seems if Fox can play the 5, then Betts could. Thoughts?
No one really knows what fox would play considering he has been injured since arriving. His size does not suggest he is a 5 in this conference. Same with Betts. Both would have best fit at the 4 imo. Just like 75% of the current roster lol Fox would have probably slotted into the 5 though as I understand his shooting range is similar to Payne.

He probably can but it probably is not the plan to do that even without Evans.

Thompson seems like a lock to drop down a level.

With Evans backing out it won't shock me if Henley leaves.

My guess is that one or both of Ihnen and Fox won't return

Not sure why but I have a feeling Battle might move on but hope he comes back

Anyone outside of that would be surprising from a transfer standpoint but in today's climate of tranfers nothing would be all that shocking I guess.

TT is gone. Will go to a mid-major.
Henley is gone. Closer to home.

I hope Payne stays, but.....

Need to go get 2 guards and a small forward. Need to get shooting!!

TT is gone. Will go to a mid-major.
Henley is gone. Closer to home.
Don’t disagree. TT to NDSU is likely.
I hope Payne stays, but.....
But what? Don’t speculate unless you have some info.
Need to go get 2 guards and a small forward. Need to get shooting!!
Yeah that will be the plan. We are bringing in a freshman that can shoot. Betts is a good shooter too

Going with the Price Is Right strategy. All of them.

I mean, you’re kind of speculating on TT, why can’t he speculate on Payne?
Obviously people can speculate on whatever but tossing out the idea of Payne transferring is just trying to worry people for no real reason at this point.

Thompson transferring makes sense because he is buried on the depth chart and seems unlikely to be a big part of the plans moving forward (though with Evans backing out it might clear a bit of a path for Thompson to stick it out if he really wants to).

Henley leaving makes sense because of the whole Evans situation.

Payne transferring makes no sense. He is a Minnesota kid logging big minutes for his hometown team. Until he gives some indication that he is planning to leave it seems foolish to try and create rumors about him leaving.

Cooper is another guy who's name gets tossed around in terms of transferring but it really doesn't make a ton of sense for him to leave either given that he has already used up his free transfer and has a big role on the team.

But in the current doom and gloom atmosphere around Gopher Basketball I am not surprised some are assuming the worst is going to happen.....tough to blame them the way things have gone so far.

Top Bottom