What, no NDSU Champ Game thread?

station19

Reaction score
Bison up 35-7 in the fourth quarter. Have to admit that is pretty impressive. 3 consecutive and handily.

I'd rather stream high school hockey. Holy Family Catholic up 1-0 on Wayzata after 1 period.

Good for their team, coaches and players. I can say this, the Gophers may never play for a title, but I am certain they will never play for a title on a field as poor as the Bison were on today. The NCAA should be counting its lucky stars that no one got hurt.

Good for their team, coaches and players. I can say this, the Gophers may never play for a title, but I am certain they will never play for a title on a field as poor as the Bison were on today. The NCAA should be counting its lucky stars that no one got hurt.

True. Petty sad.

Yet Rose Bowl Stadium will have new turf installed between Rose Bowl Game and National Championship Game.
http://www.timesherald.com/sports/2...-be-slightly-different-for-the-bcs-title-game

They talked about it early in the broadcast. Apparently they installed the turf in November, but they had a bunch of bad weather and the sod never took root. That was seriously embarrassing though. I can't imagine the NCAA is happy with the stadium management on that one. I'm a little surprised they don't have turf - weather in Dallas in the winter can get pretty crappy.

would like to say, Towson's coaching was absolutely terrible in this game. the FG block was inexcusable, follows it up with throwing a pick on a terrible play when you're pounding the rock on NDSU, then has abysmal clock management to end the 1st half. at that point I quit watching b/c there was no chance you're coming back. The block and the pick took away any of Towson's chance to win and I'd put that on the coaches for terrible decision making.

Meh who cares, good for them but it's time for them to make the jump to the big leagues of college football.

Three in a row is impressive no matter what level you're playing at. Good for them.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is what the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bison&src=hash">#Bison</a> are going to do after they Towson for lunch. <a href="http://t.co/bTIeRXaADD">http://t.co/bTIeRXaADD</a></p>— Josh Duhamel (@joshduhamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/joshduhamel/statuses/419549060924583936">January 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's great to see because there are so many Minnesota kids on that team; also, NDSU has outplayed the Gophers in all three recent games and would have been 3-0 if a last second field goal try had not bounced off the goal post. You have to respect and admire what they'd done up there.

The Bison are a legitimately good team. You have to look at them and say it's a model of how to build a program with some serious disadvantages, including some of the ones we have (frozen wasteland, etc.). They recruit against programs in much nicer climates and with with much prettier campuses and female classmates.

I'd rather stream high school hockey. Holy Family Catholic up 1-0 on Wayzata after 1 period.

Holy Family has wins over Minnetonka and a 7-2 win over Benilde, if high school hockey were stocks Holy Family would be buy buy buy!!!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is what the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bison&src=hash">#Bison</a> are going to do after they Towson for lunch. <a href="http://t.co/bTIeRXaADD">http://t.co/bTIeRXaADD</a></p>— Josh Duhamel (@joshduhamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/joshduhamel/statuses/419549060924583936">January 4, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank god. I finally know what Josh Duhamel thought about the football game. :rolleyes:

The Bison are a legitimately good team. You have to look at them and say it's a model of how to build a program with some serious disadvantages, including some of the ones we have (frozen wasteland, etc.). They recruit against programs in much nicer climates and with with much prettier campuses and female classmates.

Agreed with all but the prettier classmates. Minnesota has some mighty fine ladies. Always has. Always will.

I'm glad that we did not schedule them this season.

You make me laugh. You started a game thread that was deleted by the mods and you make no mention. "We" made me laugh the most.

Don't they graduate like 24 seniors? Let's see what the put on the field next year.

It's great to see because there are so many Minnesota kids on that team; also, NDSU has outplayed the Gophers in all three recent games and would have been 3-0 if a last second field goal try had not bounced off the goal post. You have to respect and admire what they'd done up there.

Actually Matt Spaeth blocked the FG you speak of

I don't know if I'd say they have serious disadvantages. They surely play disciplined and jam it down their opponents throats, but the fact is that Minnesota could be disciplined and try to jam it down Ohio State's throat all they wanted but the results would not be in the Gophers' favor more than they would be.

Compared to Minnesota, they do have some disadvantages. Compared to who they play in FCS, I would say that's hardly the case.

Agreed with all but the prettier classmates. Minnesota has some mighty fine ladies. Always has. Always will.

Talking exclusively about NDSU. I grew up 50 miles east of there, and the word on the street was that the farmers sent their daughters to market and their pigs to school.

I was reading one of the North Dakota State articles in the sports section of the Strib this morning and thought I would look some statistics up of the past successful coaches in NDSU football history and how successful they were after they left NDSU

Note that I am listing the most successful ones that moved on to bigger/better competition. ex. Craig Bohl

1. Stanley Borleske,
NDSU record: 20-18-5 (1919–1921, 1923–1924, 1928)
Fresno State: 36–36–7 - fired/resigned after a 3-5-2 record

2. Darrell Mudra
NDSU record: 24-6-0, 1 conference title (1963–1965)
Arizona: 11-9-1 (1967-68)
Western Illinois: 39-13 (1969-73)
Florida State: 4-18 (1974-75) - fired, moved on to coach eastern illinois, and northern iowa

3. Ron Erhardt
NDSU: 67-7-1 (1966–1972)
New England Patriots: 21-27 (1979-81)
Later was offensive coordinator for the New York Giants, and Jets and then ended his career on a 1-15 Jets team - later announced his retirement.

4. Jim Wacker
NDSU: 24-9-1 (1976–1978) 2 conference titles
TCU: 40–58–2 (1983–1991)
Minnesota: 16-39 (1992–1996)

5. Don Morton
NDSU: 57-15 (1979–1984) 4 conference titles
Tulsa: 13-9 (1985-86)
Wisconsin: 6-27 (1987–1989)

6. Earle Solomonson
NDSU: 24-2-1 (1985–1986) 2 Division II national championships
Montana State: 15-40 (1987–1991) - later fired

7. Rocky Hager
NDSU: 91–25–1 (1987–1996) 2 Division II national championships, 5 conference titles
Northeastern: 20–47 (2004-2009)

8. Bob Babich
NDSU: 46–22 (1997-2002)
Went on to be linebackers coach for St. Louis Rams and Chicago Bears until Trestman showed up.

9. Craig Bohl
NDSU: 103-32-0 (2003-2013)
Wyoming: ???

As you can see the numbers do not lie. Now part of me think that this isn't relative because of the level that NDSU currently plays at (DI-AA) in which they played in the past (D-II). But it does go to show that just because you win at the lower levels doesn't mean you can win with the bigger boys.

I do not like NDSU whatsoever, but I do wish Craig Bohl luck and hope he ends the streak of deficiency after the fact of NDSU. Very respectable coach and guy.

Go Gophs!

I thought this was a gopher board.
If I want to read about the Bison I can go to there board.

As you can see the numbers do not lie. Now part of me think that this isn't relative because of the level that NDSU currently plays at (DI-AA) in which they played in the past (D-II). But it does go to show that just because you win at the lower levels doesn't mean you can win with the bigger boys.!

If you make a move like this, you do realize you're facing a double whammy; you are not only moving up a level but you're also usually taking over a program at a higher level that has been historically bad. That being said, I'm guessing the record of coaches taking over historically bad programs, whether they moved up a level or not, is almost always not good.

Wyoming is Wyoming. You're recruiting to a mediocre conference, to a school in Laramie. The odds are stacked against Bohl substantially.

Wacker had a losing record at TCU, but there was more to it than that. He started out successfully (won several coach of the year awards), and then self-reported a slush fund that was paying players (hey - it was the Southwest Conference), and booted the players from the team, which resulted in heavy NCAA sanctions, which resulted in some down years. They were 7-4 his final year there. He was known to run a clean ship, which I suspect that the U wanted following the sanctions that Holtz left us a few years prior. At the time, he would definitely appear to have been a good hire. (would a coach today consider Minnesota a step up from TCU?)

Overall, with the exception of his time here, Wacker was a successful college coach and Texas State named their field in his honor.

And as far as Rocky Hager goes, he didn't leave to go on to bigger and better things. (Northeastern shut down football a couple years into his tenure). He got fired because he ran a dirty program at NDSU that had about as many thugs and criminals as Miami at the time. I was going to college across the river at the time, and I had friends at NDSU - everyone knew that it was an anything goes atmosphere there and it finally caught up with him.

Dont forget that a lot of their current success is because Brewster didnt recruit guys that ended up starting and being very successful at NDSU. Kill doesn't let that happen anymore. Take a guy like Lauer. I bet under Brewster he ends up going to NDSU and being very successful. Instead, he walks on here and has success.

Dont forget that a lot of their current success is because Brewster didnt recruit guys that ended up starting and being very successful at NDSU. Kill doesn't let that happen anymore. Take a guy like Lauer. I bet under Brewster he ends up going to NDSU and being very successful. Instead, he walks on here and has success.

Agreed!

Top Bottom