What is wrong with this team?

I am also guilty of doing it, but honestly there is really no reason to look at next years roster. With the amount of turnover across the county it is a fairly useless exercise. I am sure 5 years ago we all assumed Gabe would never leave, he did, Oturu/Coffey to the nba, etc. You would like to think these guys stay but you never know. I doubt Bucky Irving was truly upset here, but Oregon came in wish a nice cash offer and hes gone. With the amount of tampering that happens i would be shocked if someone didnt get in Payne's ear and tell him hey we have $x sitting here for you just saying, or someone tells Henley hey you will play 35min a game here or Battle you can get good shots here. There are a million things that could happen so its impossible to know what happens.
You’re making it sound as if we will be little more than a feeder program for more elite teams. What a depressing thought that is. CBJ has a tall order to develop and improve this roster over the course of the season to the point where players see a future here and recruits want in.
If not, time to find other interests in life. 💁‍♂️

I'm realistic, something you really struggle with. I'm excited for Evans, he could be great, but he's raw and it's likely going to take time for him to develop.

Max Christie was a top 22 recruit in the country last year and a McDonalds All American. He averaged 9.3 pts, 3.5 rebs, and 1.5 asts on 38% FG and 32% 3pt for a talented Michigan St team that underachieved and finished 11-9 in the B1G last season. Cooper and Garcia have put up much better numbers than that so far this season and 3/4 of this board is ready to run both of them off.

Cam Christie is nowhere near as highly rated, but he and Evans are nice, developmental recruits with huge upside. We are going to need a lot more than them and what we currently have on the roster to be competitive next season, especially at the guard position.
I have been exceedingly realistic about this team from the day Johnson was hired! There was no way that this was going to be a quick fix. He is learning how to be a head coach at a Power 5 university on the job. Once the hire was made, anyone should have seen that this was going to be a challenge in the first couple of years... especially once the entire team bailed after his hire.

I thought it laughable both last year and this year when posters were trying to piece together how this team might make the NCAAs. Most anyone looking at the roster last year should have known that they would struggle in conference play. Most anyone looking at this roster should have known that their margin for error was small this year as well... especially after Fox and Ihnen went down again.

You continue to piss on everything that you can find. We get the highest rated out of state recruit in decades and you complain that its not keeping up with the rest of the conference. I guess that we are just in a hopeless situation. One can either celebrate the accomplishment and hope that it leads to something positive or one can continue to be purposefully negative and tear it down.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time on the GopherHole trying to talk posters off a ledge by providing just a smidgen of perspective. I use facts to hopefully help posters set realistic expectations. Those who choose to be negative at ever turn deserve to be miserable about this team. Get out the Rolaids because its likely going to be more of the same for the rest of the year. I am done with you and your kind.

You’re making it sound as if we will be little more than a feeder program for more elite teams. What a depressing thought that is. CBJ has a tall order to develop and improve this roster over the course of the season to the point where players see a future here and recruits want in.
If not, time to find other interests in life. 💁‍♂️
Not at all what I mean, thats just the facts of college sports. Kids are always looking for greener pastures and with NIL they have access to a ton of money. It goes both ways, just like we told Cooper/Loewe/etc hey you are better than that low D1 team, come play in the Big 10! Works the same the other way too, hey why be the 7th man at Duke, come to Charleston and be our leading scorer! This isnt a MN specific thing, literally every team in the country is in the exact same boat, you have to essentially recruit every player on every team, including your own, every year.

Next year will be interesting since as of right now there are 14 scholarship guys, obviously one is going to have to go. Assuming Ramburg is close to graduating, otherwise it would make no sense to give him one for this year, hurts the APR score if we push him out before he gets his degree.
Ramburg was only given the scholarship for this year, I assume. So his and Samuels would go to Christie and Evans in theory. But there will surely be transfers leaving as well.

random thoughts:

-- the team has been disappointing so far. no way to spin that.
-- Battle doesn't look right coming off the injury
-- Garcia looks like he is still figuring out what his role is with a new team. (3rd in 3 yrs.....)
-- If the FR do not turn out to be "fast learners," this season could get real messy
-- last year, if the offense broke down, Willis could hit a step-back "3." Willis is missed far more than I realized.
-- talent does not always equal performance. this year's team may be more "talented," but not perform as well as last year. there are more intangibles to the game than we care to admit.

-- no matter what happens, Johnson is going to get a few years to see if he can handle the role of a HC at a P5 conference. If he can't do the job, then he'll be gone.

-- A word of caution for all the people who want Johnson gone - or never wanted him hired, for whatever reason. As long as Coyle is the AD, the same person who hired Johnson will be hiring the next coach.

Ramburg was only given the scholarship for this year, I assume. So his and Samuels would go to Christie and Evans in theory. But there will surely be transfers leaving as well.
Another scholarship if TT enters the portal and goes to a program that knows how to develop big men.

Wasn't counting Samuels. Believe this will be the technical break down for next year
Freshman: Christie, Evans, Betts (RS)
Sophomore: Carrington, Henley, Payne, JOJ
Juniors: Thompson, Garcia (4th year Junior) Ihnen (5th year Junior)
Seniors: Fox, (7th year Sr) Battle, (5th year Sr) Ramberg, (5th year Sr) Cooper (5th year Sr)
Think Fox could apply for an 8th because of two injury years and covid year. Ihnen I think could apply for a sixth and even a 7th year with his injuries. Thought about putting him as a fifth year Sophomore but that sounded weird. Ramberg spent two years at McGill, the French Canadian Harvard before coming here, so maybe he will have his degree in the Spring. Then after that who knows, feel like there's always one transfer. If we get down to 12, hopefully we bring in PG with two or three years, someone we can pair with a 2024 Freshman
Anyone who wants to play 8 years of college sports has an issue...move on with your life - could you imagine being potentially 25 while most of your teammates are 18/19...

I get the love of sport, but either try your hand at a low-level pro career, become a grad-assistant to stay close to the program (thus freeing up a scholarship), or just move on and love sports from the position of a fan.

Anyone who wants to play 8 years of college sports has an issue...move on with your life - could you imagine being potentially 25 while most of your teammates are 18/19...

I get the love of sport, but either try your hand at a low-level pro career, become a grad-assistant to stay close to the program (thus freeing up a scholarship), or just move on and love sports from the position of a fan.
...or milk the NIL for everything you can before you move on. Cost-benefit analysis 101.

I have been exceedingly realistic about this team from the day Johnson was hired! There was no way that this was going to be a quick fix. He is learning how to be a head coach at a Power 5 university on the job. Once the hire was made, anyone should have seen that this was going to be a challenge in the first couple of years... especially once the entire team bailed after his hire.

I thought it laughable both last year and this year when posters were trying to piece together how this team might make the NCAAs. Most anyone looking at the roster last year should have known that they would struggle in conference play. Most anyone looking at this roster should have known that their margin for error was small this year as well... especially after Fox and Ihnen went down again.

You continue to piss on everything that you can find. We get the highest rated out of state recruit in decades and you complain that its not keeping up with the rest of the conference. I guess that we are just in a hopeless situation. One can either celebrate the accomplishment and hope that it leads to something positive or one can continue to be purposefully negative and tear it down.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time on the GopherHole trying to talk posters off a ledge by providing just a smidgen of perspective. I use facts to hopefully help posters set realistic expectations. Those who choose to be negative at ever turn deserve to be miserable about this team. Get out the Rolaids because its likely going to be more of the same for the rest of the year. I am done with you and your kind.
My only comment would be that while Evans is awesome, CBJ should understand that Elite guards are what make elite teams. So yeah, we landed a lauded big man, its cool...but unless we land an elite guard it won't really change the direction of the program. We need the Elite Guard prospects.

I've been trying to tell everyone this. This year has ZERO to do with wins & losses. The ONLY thing that matters is our freshmen gaining experience.

That being said...Coach Johnson isn't above criticism. He needs to set Battle & Garcia straight about what the plan is. Either you're both returning next year, or you're both out of here...this isn't a 1-year NBA audition. And Cooper shouldn't be shooting at all.
effort is missing for large chunks of the game
BJ missed on Cooper/Samuels. Cooper can play in the big ten. But he is not a 35 plus minute guy on a big ten team. Im honestly scared of what big ten guards will do to him.
Carrington/Henley just need to let the game slow down a bit. They both show flashes for moments but then will go 5 minutes where they are non-existent. As the year goes they will settle in.....i hope
Garcia/Battle just simply need to play better. They need to play like the best 2 players on a big ten team
This offense is a joke.....run a damn set. It always looks promising until the first pass. then we have 4 guys standing around watching! do some dang coaching BJ! get the white board out! do something

This season is not going to go very good. but the team still needs to stick together, have fun, and show some dang effort! And the freshman need to continue to get meaningful minutes
What kind of offensive sets do you want to run when Battle and Garcia are both leaning against a tree on the back forty, waiting for the ball so they can launch a prayer?

I have been exceedingly realistic about this team from the day Johnson was hired! There was no way that this was going to be a quick fix. He is learning how to be a head coach at a Power 5 university on the job. Once the hire was made, anyone should have seen that this was going to be a challenge in the first couple of years...
We keep doing the same thing over and over again....I think I might have said the same thing about Pitino 7 years ago.

I think I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure this makes any sense. Of course there's pressure; that's the case with every player on every team everywhere. Are you saying he's struggling because the offense is dysfunctional? OK, that's a point, but it doesn't explain why he's missing open looks that he'd have made blindfolded last year.
A good part of the reason the offense is dysfunctional is Battle and Garcia. Combined 4-19, four rebounds and neither one got close enough to the basket to shoot a free throw. The problem isn't Cooper.

What kind of offensive sets do you want to run when Battle and Garcia are both leaning against a tree on the back forty, waiting for the ball so they can launch a prayer?
any set that involves actual movement would be a positive right now....im not fussy

Parker Fox is a good person. His dream was to play at Williams. If he wants to play, has eligibility, and the staff wants him, he should stay and get a chance. Who are you to tell him what to do?

We keep doing the same thing over and over again....I think I might have said the same thing about Pitino 7 years ago.
True true. At the end of year one the Ben naysayers won the day. It’s early in yr 2 and the naysayers are leading. Enjoy the season.

Parker Fox is a good person. His dream was to play at Williams. If he wants to play, has eligibility, and the staff wants him, he should stay and get a chance. Who are you to tell him what to do?
Not saying he’s not a good person. He could be Ghandi for all I care, but 7 years (potentially 8) of college athletics is a little much

You’ve been positive, just not realistic.

Agreed. The Ivy League won't even give a 5th year scholarship. I once read a spokesperson say almost your exact words" We believe our students should move on with their lives." The Ivy League also announced that they would not give scholarships for the optional 5th year due to COVID.

I personally don't see why someone who essentially came here as a grad student but never played due to injury should be entitled to a third scholarship year.

Nobody gets everything they dream of. That's life. Why do some of you feel that Parker Fox has some special entitlement over other humans? He came here essentially as a grad student and has had two years of scholarship already. Why is he entitled to 3 scholarship years here on top of the ones he got from his former institution?

Some of you are so ridiculously sentimentalist that it makes me want to puke.

Ihnen I can see getting a scholarship next year. It's only his 5th year and he at least has the distinction of being the only Pitino player who stayed.

Nobody gets everything they dream of. That's life. Why do some of you feel that Parker Fox has some special entitlement over other humans? He came here essentially as a grad student and has had two years of scholarship already. Why is he entitled to 3 scholarship years here on top of the ones he got from his former institution?

Ihnen I can see getting a scholarship next year. It's only his 5th year and he at least has the distinction of being the only Pitino player who stayed.
We won't run out of scholarships. When is the last time we had a full compliment of them given out without giving one to a walk on?

We won't run out of scholarships. When is the last time we had a full compliment of them given out without giving one to a walk on?

Well, certainly not under Ben but I believe Pitino filled all 13 in his final year.

It’s the rules. He has NCAA eligibility and if Ben welcomes him back then who are we to judge if he says yes.
Puke away, you’re the first person whose ever called or thought of me as a sentimentalist
Again this is on Ben. Personally I don’t care either way. Add talent is my preference

Not saying he’s not a good person. He could be Ghandi for all I care, but 7 years (potentially 8) of college athletics is a little much
That’s up to Ben, Parker, and the NCAA to decide. Why do you care or feel the need to tell him how to live if he ain’t hurting anyone?

I mean, there's 30 year old's who have won the Heisman. Parker seems like a pretty intelligent guy on his Pod and he's carved out a nice NIL situation for himself, probably makes more than most entry level people in the Cube Farms

Some on this board should be limited to 5 posts per day after 5 posts there should be a $10 fee charged… that would limit the garbage or the fee money could go toward removing the ads for a year for everyone….

I mean, there's 30 year old's who have won the Heisman. Parker seems like a pretty intelligent guy on his Pod and he's carved out a nice NIL situation for himself, probably makes more than most entry level people in the Cube Farms

According to my research, the oldest player to win the Heisman was 28 year old Minnesota bred Chris Weinke. His situation was pretty unique. He was very highly regarded in both baseball and football. He spent six years in the Blue Jays farm system before deciding to give up professional baseball and try college football. He called up the coach at Florida State (where he originally committed as a high school senior before deciding to pursue baseball), was given a scholarship, and the rest is history.

The second oldest player to receive the Heisman was Billy Simms at 23 years old.

According to my research, the oldest player to win the Heisman was 28 year old Minnesota bred Chris Weinke. His situation was pretty unique. He was very highly regarded in both baseball and football. He spent six years in the Blue Jays farm system before deciding to give up professional baseball and try college football. He called up the coach at Florida State (where he originally committed as a high school senior before deciding to pursue baseball), was given a scholarship, and the rest is history.

The second oldest player to receive the Heisman was Billy Simms at 23 years old.
He also lead Cretin to it's first State Hockey Tournament appearance

Top Bottom