What grade would you give the Gophers for the Coyle hire?

How would you grade this hire?

• A

Votes: 85 70.8%
  • B

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • C

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • F

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

Paying for an established AD, what's not to like

B+ which could rise to A+ depending on how his first years goes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Incomplete. Lets see how he does before we grade him.

Incomplete. Lets see how he does before we grade him.

why is there always one person that says this?? no one is asking to grade his tenure or success at the U. simple poll, for what we know today, what grade?

why is there always one person that says this?? no one is asking to grade his tenure or success at the U. simple poll, for what we know today, what grade?

i agree completely with CentralGopher's statement, "Incomplete. Lets see how he does before we grade him." For most of us who are not living, breathing, eating, voiding, sleeping in the circles of professional collegiate sports administration, it seems to me a more than reasonable response. Translated: How the heck are we supposed to know?

i agree completely with CentralGopher's statement, "Incomplete. Lets see how he does before we grade him." For most of us who are not living, breathing, eating, voiding, sleeping in the circles of professional collegiate sports administration, it seems to me a more than reasonable response. Translated: How the heck are we supposed to know?

then don't vote or comment?

I believe this is analogous to telling a newlywed couple that there's a 50/50 chance they might divorce. Nobody wants to listen to reality during the honeymoon period.

AFAIK, what's not to like with Coyle? not a former coach or athlete i suppose, so he lacks that perspective but thats the modern way. Will he hire and fire the right people? Who knows? We'll save that for the post-mortem, hopefully decades from now.

How come 75% of posts end up in fights???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home Run! Can't imagine a better hire. I think a lot of us can eat sh^t after this announcement. Kaler showed us a lot with this hire and I think shut up a hell of a lot of people. Surprised pretty much everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe this is analogous to telling a newlywed couple that there's a 50/50 chance they might divorce. Nobody wants to listen to reality during the honeymoon period.

AFAIK, what's not to like with Coyle? not a former coach or athlete i suppose, so he lacks that perspective but thats the modern way. Will he hire and fire the right people? Who knows? We'll save that for the post-mortem, hopefully decades from now.

I believe he played football in college if I recall.

Go with your gut and don't be such a stick in the mud. We're grading the choice of candidate, nothing more! It's a fricking poll for crying out loud! No one is an expert on this. Geez! Guess what, we can have another poll a year from now, it's true, we can.

I'll let you know a few years from now.

Really I don't know how anyone could possibly know.....

News reports showed Joel Maturi in the room. Hopefully Mr. Coyle has learned from his experience elsewhere.

I'll let you know a few years from now.

Really I don't know how anyone could possibly know.....

Me to. But I am glad that Kaler was able to find an AD with experience. But the issues are many. Time will tell.

IMO, the first step would be to address the football ST donation issue and work to take steps to encourage long time ST holders to stay the course.

I'm not sure if there are better candidates than Mr. Coyle and therefore I have to give this hire an "A."

I hope Beth sticks around. I'd like to see more of her.

then don't vote or comment?

Correct! The question is not "how has he performed as AD of the U?". It is a simple "was it a good hire?"

It was a Fricking home run! A young, well regarded, experienced P5 AD that has strong local ties and knows the U. He was a dream hire.

Now, the pundits can nitpick him to death over the next couple of decades..... The rest of us will support him.

Correct! The question is not "how has he performed as AD of the U?". It is a simple "was it a good hire?"

It was a Fricking home run! A young, well regarded, experienced P5 AD that has strong local ties and knows the U. He was a dream hire.

Now, the pundits can nitpick him to death over the next couple of decades..... The rest of us will support him.

exactly

Even those who gave him A realize he could turn in a F performance

MN didn't go cheap
They don't go safe route
they paid up to get a P5 AD what wants to be here

Which is exactly what every Gopher fan booster wanted...but than it happens, and it's eh, lets see how this plays out.

I really thought that the decision to hire Beth Goetz had been made months ago by the President, and the rest of the process was just window dressing. I was elated to be proven wrong. From what I know, that being his experience as an AD, his reputation as a "fixer", his knowledge of the Minnesota landscape - having worked here previously, his energy, and quite possibly most important, his passion for Minnesota as witnessed in his press conference, make him a great hire. Qualified by the fact that we've only known about him for 24 hours, but this is my first impression of the hire. The U HAD to make a hire that would excite the fans, donors, coaches, and students. I think they hit the mark on all fronts, AND they actually took him from another Division 1 AD Job by paying him what a big-time AD SHOULD get paid. This is so unlike Minnesota.

Go with your gut and don't be such a stick in the mud. We're grading the choice of candidate, nothing more! It's a fricking poll for crying out loud! No one is an expert on this. Geez! Guess what, we can have another poll a year from now, it's true, we can.

By that argument nearly any hire would be an a+. Maybe I'm a little too touchy with all the political bs goin on lately. My apologies to any I offended here. Would a pass/fail grading system suit this?. In that case i'd give the hire a pass.

By that argument nearly any hire would be an a+. Maybe I'm a little too touchy with all the political bs goin on lately. My apologies to any I offended here. Would a pass/fail grading system suit this?. In that case i'd give the hire a pass.

I think it is an A to this point because he is an experienced AD who has a good reputation, has shown he can fundraise, has many accomplishments in his career, and understands the culture of Minnesota. Throw in the fact that our athletic department has been a mess lately and I don't think we could have gotten anyone better than Coyle.

Solid A. I wasn't expecting us to get a current Power 5 AD.

Great hiring decision especially considering the recent dumpster fire of public relation debacles.

If you don't have an opinion, why are you posting in this thread? 'Based on what you know, how do you like the hire' is a pretty simple question.

A+

Me to. But I am glad that Kaler was able to find an AD with experience. But the issues are many. Time will tell.

IMO, the first step would be to address the football ST donation issue and work to take steps to encourage long time ST holders to stay the course.

I feel the same way about experience. I did not want some random dude who "ran a business" to show up at a university and run a big AD.

Top Bottom