What Bo Proves

Bo somehow instills confidence in his kids. Taylor wasn't a great shooter comming out of highs school. He sure has confidence now. Bruesewitz hit two threes in a row down the stretch. I haven't been any more impressed with his shooting than I have been with Williams, but he sure comes through in the clutch.

Bo Ryan is one of the top 10 coaches in the country. His teams play hard and always compete.

You forgot to put in the words "regular season" coaches after top 10. I just put this in another thread, but Bo has only been to the Elite 8 once in 9 years. He is an incredibly consistent regular season coach (3 BT titles, never finishing worse than 4th, rarely loses at home, etc. - all things I'm extremely jealous of as a Gopher fan) but Dan Monson has gotten beyond the Sweet 16 as many times as Bo Ryan has. I'd kill for Bo's regular season success, but I don't buy an argument that he's one of the Top 10 coaches in the nation with the post-season resume he has. That's not a rip on him or me being petty, but I can't put Bo in this category when 26 DIFFERENT teams have been to the Final Four since Bo has been at UW (with 7 of them having MULTIPLE Final Fours in this time).

Go Gophers!!

Monson probably could have gotten Leuer, but couldn't figure out that the kid was a good BB player. Taylor seemed like a becky lock and not sure we could have gotten him even if the recruiting would have been better. Besides, who really wanted Taylor over Joseph at the time. It turned out to be a bad choice by Mn.. At the time it looked like the right choice.

Leuer was not interested in playing for Monson. That's the truth. I am friend's with Jon's uncle & that is what he keeps telling me.

Tubby tried with Taylor

Settled for a highly sought after 4 star recruit from Canada. The sad realization for me is that the following year, we probably took the worst 2 of the 5 recruits from MN. Who would trade Royce and Rodney for Lockett & Dower/Breusiwicz? I sure would. Adding Royce & Rodney + Joseph, Sampson & Iverson to Hoff and Nolen, like many I thought we were in business. Tubby should be locked onto Juco big men like a fly on a steaming pile of shat, with Ralph, Colton and Trevor leaving next year.

There is a handful of coaches that have better resumes. All from traditional BB schools. Hats off to them.
Your characterization of Ryan's record is a self loathing rant that makes you look small and silly. Not to
mention wrong.

He is not a good tournament coach. His non athletic teams allow lesser ranked teams to play with them with a good chance to beat them.

Bo somehow instills confidence in his kids. Taylor wasn't a great shooter comming out of highs school. He sure has confidence now. Bruesewitz hit two threes in a row down the stretch. I haven't been any more impressed with his shooting than I have been with Williams, but he sure comes through in the clutch.

I think you meant to write that Bo finds coachable kids willing to learn.

Monson probably could have gotten Leuer, but couldn't figure out that the kid was a good BB player. Taylor seemed like a becky lock and not sure we could have gotten him even if the recruiting would have been better. Besides, who really wanted Taylor over Joseph at the time. It turned out to be a bad choice by Mn.. At the time it looked like the right choice.

According to this SI article about the game, you are correct - Taylor wanted to go to UW all along.

Jordan Taylor, the hero of Wisconsin's 71-67 dethroning of Ohio State, the last undefeated team left in Division I, and the man at the eye of a court-storming after scoring 27 points and dealing out seven assists against one turnover, once took a visit to Madison as a high-school sophomore, sat in assistant coach Greg Gard's office and asked a question:

"What do I have to do to play here?"

Taylor was then a lightly recruited point guard from St. Louis Park, Minn., who'd driven down to see a football game and hoped to make a positive impression on the Badgers' coaching staff. Gard was under the impression Taylor was merely asking about what he needed to do to play Division I basketball anywhere. The coach began to say to meet the standards of D-I point-guard play, Taylor would need to improve his shooting (he wasn't much of a marksman), his ball handling and his decision-making (which were just OK) -- at which point Taylor interrupted.

"Coach, you don't understand," he said. "What do I have to do to play here, at Wisconsin? I want to play at Wisconsin."

Is it possible Wisconsin has a down year sure. Probable - certainly not as long as Bo is coach.

I'm a Minnesota guy, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to se Bo Ryan is a great coach. He may not get McDonald's All-Americans, but he usually recruits Top 100 guys and develops them into there system.

As long as Bo is there, they will continue to be a top program in B10 and country. Wishing for something else is fruitless.

Could he have an off year? Sure, if Izzo can, anyone can but it will only be that. He's been doing it for a decade with no signs of letting up. Somehow guys that are role players one year, end up being all B10 players when there Juniors or Seniors. Don't expect anything different moving forward.

As I just stated above, JohnnyGopher said that Tubby wasn't very high on Taylor. He liked Berggren but not Taylor.

He was committed before Tubby even showed up. This has NOTHING to do with Tubby.

Bo Ryan has proven to be a great coach with a offensive system that can take good players, plug them in and make them great. I still can't see what Tubby's O is. The one thing I feared when we hired him was that he may have been fried from the pressure at UK and we would rapidly plateau. We are in much better shape than when we arrived, but the lack of difference makers in this last class is alarming. The military term for this ROAD. Retired on active duty. I don't think he has the hunger to outwork the other schools for the top flight kids.

Bo Ryan has proven to be a great coach with a offensive system that can take good players, plug them in and make them great. I still can't see what Tubby's O is. The one thing I feared when we hired him was that he may have been fried from the pressure at UK and we would rapidly plateau. We are in much better shape than when we arrived, but the lack of difference makers in this last class is alarming. The military term for this ROAD. Retired on active duty. I don't think he has the hunger to outwork the other schools for the top flight kids.

Bo Ryan has lost 11 home games in his Wisconsin tenure.

One of them was to the Gophers coached by Tubby.

Minnesota had 2 scholarships open in November 2010 and signed 2 Top 100 (or better) recruits to fill them.

Bo Ryan has lost 11 home games in his Wisconsin tenure.

One of them was to the Gophers coached by Tubby.

Minnesota had 2 scholarships open in November 2010 and signed 2 Top 100 (or better) recruits to fill them.

Bo Ryan has three Big Ten titles. Tubby has 0. Bo has several players that can shoot. Tubby has one------and didn't recruit him. Bo's players get better, Tubby's leave or don't improve. See Williams, Rodney. Bo has an offense, Tubby forgot to unpack his when he emptied out his moving van. I know you love your husband Mrs. Smith, but please indulge the season ticket holders who are feeling a little let down.

Bo Ryan has three Big Ten titles. Tubby has 0. Bo has several players that can shoot. Tubby has one------and didn't recruit him. Bo's players get better, Tubby's leave or don't improve. See Williams, Rodney. Bo has an offense, Tubby forgot to unpack his when he emptied out his moving van. I know you love your husband Mrs. Smith, but please indulge the season ticket holders who are feeling a little let down.

After that sterling 10-year run (162-159) prior to Tubby arriving, I can see why 79-47 has you let down.

Bo is 3-3 versus Tubby since 2008 (Tubby's first year at Minnesota).

Bo's a good coach there's no disputing it.

I have to say though, sometime during the second half, when he met Evans in the huddle, and screamed " what the f-uck are you thinking!!" I lost a bit of respect for him.

Sorry if I expect more from somebody making that much $ and with the resume. His record at this stage is no better than Monson's was. We are better, but is this all we are going to get? I would actually like to win the Big Ten. Ryan has done it.

beaver

Bucky seems to pass around the perimeter, dribble a bit, run the clock, then toss up a three. Quite the offense. Except for running the clock part I see this offense everywhere.

Sorry if I expect more from somebody making that much $ and with the resume. His record at this stage is no better than Monson's was. We are better, but is this all we are going to get? I would actually like to win the Big Ten. Ryan has done it.

Tubby is 79-47 in 4 years (so far).

Monson was 65-54 in his first 4 years.

1998–99 17–11 6–10 NCAA 1st Round Unofficial Record – Academic Fraud
1999–00 12–16 4–12 none none
2000–01 18–14 5–11 NIT 2nd Round none
2001–02 18–13 9–7 NIT 2nd Round none

Bo's a good coach there's no disputing it.

I have to say though, sometime during the second half, when he met Evans in the huddle, and screamed " what the f-uck are you thinking!!" I lost a bit of respect for him.

Funny, that gains my respect. Guess it must be my military background. Should he have given him a tissue and sent him off to namby-pamby land? His teams are very sound because there are consequences to screwing up.

Bucky seems to pass around the perimeter, dribble a bit, run the clock, then toss up a three. Quite the offense. Except for running the clock part I see this offense everywhere.

That offense has three Big Ten titles. I wish we were that inept.

Funny, that gains my respect. Guess it must be my military background. Should he have given him a tissue and sent him off to namby-pamby land? His teams are very sound because there are consequences to screwing up.

Funny, many people say this attitude (being tough) is why kids keep leaving MN?

Exactly. That is their offense. They just have guys who execute it. GREAT shooters (which MN lacks) and very smart players.

How many national championships does Bo have? How about final fours? Elite eights? Shall we compare those numbers?

Say, from when Bo started at Wisconsin to now ... don't worry, I'm checking at this current time. Keep in mind, even though Tubby's were at UK ... he was apparently a terrible recruiter there, so maybe even worse players than Bo has.

As I just stated above, JohnnyGopher said that Tubby wasn't very high on Taylor. He liked Berggren but not Taylor.

Taylor was going to Wisconsin whether Tubby thought Taylor was dirt or thought he was Jesus' second coming. Hence the comments, it had nothing to do with Tubby or what he "thought" of him. And I understand why Tubby would be down on Taylor. Tubby is a DEFENSIVE coach, of a defense that requires length, athleticism, and quickness (think Rondo, Rajon and Nolen, Al and Prince, Tayshaun) - Just thought I'd say that before you then question Tubby's ability to judge talent.

People credit Bo for recruiting players to fit his system, yet get mad when Tubby only recruits guys that do fit his system.

When carrott top hit that three pointer you knew it was their day. I still don't think he very good and it also makes me sick that these Minnesota kids play for sconnie and a _rick like ryan.

The only two comments that I ever hear from Bo about a game going badly is "We just aren't hitting shots" or "we just aren't getting calls" I wonder if he just recruits the best shooters he can and says, "start jacking em up!"?

Man, a handful on this board get so green with envy that it blinds their reasoning. When you try to take any angle you can to marginalize one of the best B10 Bball coaches in its history it is pretty embarrassing.

Top Bottom