Whaley!!

Without question Schnoodler is either Brez or Sternquist and hopefully when the Strib fires Kent from this story and puts either Brackin or Rand in charge this will end.

Brez and Sternquist, you should know that EVERYTHING you do on your computers is available to us under the Freedom of Information Act.

I have actually met Schnoodler - and can vouch he is just a regular dude, and a big Gopher fan.

As for last year's reports - I absolutely remember Ruesse writing about our guys, I want to say he called them "thugs" and that lead to a big uproar...but I thought he was speaking more in general, not regarding this actual incident. My memory is not the best, but this is the 1st I heard of it.

At the time there was a rumor and then a few came forward to substantiate it. It was never a big deal at the time. It's still not.

So did Fat Pat get info for his sh!tty article tonight from this board (Whaley report)??? His fat @ss sure went to town on the year old Whaley incident. I saw that terrible news paper just lifted itself out of bankruptcy, when is it going to go extinct??? Not soon enough....... God what a pathetic POS!!!!

At the time there was a rumor and then a few came forward to substantiate it. It was never a big deal at the time. It's still not.

Well, I couldn't find the rumor on the old board or the new one...oh well.

I would like to know, Schnoodler, why don't you think this is a big deal? I personally, think it's a big deal any player is arrested, or fights with police officers, or is charged with a gross misdemeanor. God knows I had my share of underage drinking, I was lucky to never get a minor - but something like this is not something ordinary college kids have on their record.

Granted, it's a year old and I'm sure Brew has handled things accordingly, but I can't imagine anyone reading that report and not thinking behavior like that is not a big deal, athlete or not.

I also remember the threads and the Wren and Loon style posts that went into some thinly veiled racist comments and gang implications, but most overall the comments were of the no charges filed, bad judgement, what was an 18 year doing out at that time stuff.
Sorry, GL you will have to do your own digging, I do enough research at work that I have no inclination do it at home as well. If I recall correctly it was not under it's own thread, more in the middle of some Fat Pat lover's defense of his "thug" comments but I have been wrong before and this was 9 or so months ago.
To the point, if he committed a criminal act, or just a stupid one, he should be punished. I hope he was punished, the legal system and or doorman at the club decided not to proceed with legal actions, or so it appears, then the punishment should come from team. Did it? I don't know, I don't hang out at Bierman or around practice. Now we have a one man who posts here, claiming he witnessed an assult. Did he? how can we possibly know? Another claims something to the effect that he is a relly bad guy and he has the proof. Refers to one report then posts one from almost a year ago, which had been discussed here. I guess I'm old school, pre-Patriot Act, I still believe people are innocent until proven gulity, but I also have zero tolerance for coaches who are too loose with discipline. Brewster could have sat on the latest discpline cases and waited until after Saturday to give two game punishments, but he didn't. He found out and he sat the guys down before the press got involved. Wisconsin game or no, he did it now. We are to believe that he sits a starter and a key back up quickly, publicly, but does some "secrect" measures with a third or fourth string player, when going public would score him points?

It doesn't add up to me, Doogie. Maybe all of your Football playing and coaching experence leads you to a different answer, mine leads me to the idea that public punishments do more good, let the whole team know at once, let the player feel that he let down his friends, his team, his school etc. Most people do not enjoy that feeling and do work to not feel that way again.
Since I have already typed this much, let me tell you a quick story.

A Hockey player at UMD named Rusty Fitzgerald went to Grandma's Sports Garden one night some years ago. While he was there a fight broke out. The Cops came and arrested Rusty along with three Canadian junior hockey players who where in town. The cops released the Canadians, but kept Rusty for the night. The story hit the paper the next morning, a columnist wrote a scathing article about run away college athletes, the above the law, too good for rules, mindset etc. Would have made Fat Pat proud. The next day the police release a statement saying that no charges will be filled. The columnist writes another piece blasting the player, the team, and the police claiming special treatment. One week later all was made clear. Rusty had walked away from these three guys three seperate times. The Sports Garden is a big place and no matter where he went, these guys kept following him. They had taunted him, made comments about his Girlfriend, and pushed him on several occations, They continued to go after him, Rusty and the girl left, the three followed him across the street into the parking lot. By this time some other guys had noticed and came to Rusty's defense, the fight broke out, Rusty just stood to the side since the fight was at his car and around it he had to wait to leave.
The cops came arrested Rusty since they knew who he was, assumed he was in on it, and were told he was fighting by the Canadians. Rusty went to jail, the Canadians where given a ride back to their hotel. The next morning when the police started interviewing witnesses and matched their stories to the ones from the night before, the case fell apart. One week later the columnist wrote an article about rushing to judgement, and said he was sorry, something I may never live long enough to see Fat Pat do.

This is why I wait until the facts are in before I leap. As the Mutal Fund ads say "Past performance is no indication of Future results." If he did beat up Blarneys, and got arrested again I have no problem with his being removed from the team for good and zero problem attacking Brewster for not being in control of his players and recruiting "bad character" guys. I just wait to see what I'm aiming at before I start throwing rocks around.

The mass is over go in peace.

I would like to know, Schnoodler, why don't you think this is a big deal? I personally, think it's a big deal any player is arrested, or fights with police officers, or is charged with a gross misdemeanor. God knows I had my share of underage drinking, I was lucky to never get a minor - but something like this is not something ordinary college kids have on their record.

Granted, it's a year old and I'm sure Brew has handled things accordingly, but I can't imagine anyone reading that report and not thinking behavior like that is not a big deal, athlete or not.

I also find this police report disappointing. I think it is a glimpse into this kids character. Like others, I never saw this until today. It puts a new light on the fact that he was shot in the leg a couple of years ago. I remember thinking, wow, that kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Fairly, or not, I'm thinking he was no innocent bystander. If this kid was a Badger or Hawkeye, people would not be passing this off so lightly on this board.

Let's hope this kid has grown up and learned something over the last 10 months. Sounds like he needs Mike Singletary up in his grill.

I guess it's how you define big deal. He didn't commit a felony, didn't murder or rape anyone or steal anything. I guess that's what I mean by it's not a big deal. This stuff happens, our beloved WVDS had an incident if you recall. What's important is what happens after. Does he learn, does he grow. Does he become a good student and team mate and more responsible citizen. That's the larger issue. I'm less concerned about where a person has been and more concerned about where he is going. That's the real story. Not if an 18 year old kid made some bad 18 year old decisions. I also believe as fans we are part of the process. Pointing fingers and impying he's 'other' or some kind of thug does not aid in that process. I also see the university as part of a larger community. Which is why I hold middle aged journalist accountable for their poor actions before I run an 19 year old kid out of town for his 18 year old actions.

If kevin does not grow as a person, if he becomes a cancer to the team, fine run him out of town. But I really can't believe any of our so called journalists can get off their fat asses long enough to actually go talk to the kid and find out how he's doing. And personally from the lack of professionalism these hacks show again and again, if I were Brewster I wouldn't let these idiots anywhere near him. So that is the state of journalism in the metro.

I guess it's how you define big deal. He didn't commit a felony, didn't murder or rape anyone or steal anything. I guess that's what I mean by it's not a big deal. This stuff happens, our beloved WVDS had an incident if you recall. What's important is what happens after. Does he learn, does he grow. Does he become a good student and team mate and more responsible citizen. That's the larger issue. I'm less concerned about where a person has been and more concerned about where he is going. That's the real story. Not if an 18 year old kid made some bad 18 year old decisions. I also believe as fans we are part of the process. Pointing fingers and impying he's 'other' or some kind of thug does not aid in that process. I also see the university as part of a larger community. Which is why I hold middle aged journalist accountable for their poor actions before I run an 19 year old kid out of town for his 18 year old actions.

If kevin does not grow as a person, if he becomes a cancer to the team, fine run him out of town. But I really can't believe any of our so called journalists can get off their fat asses long enough to actually go talk to the kid and find out how he's doing. And personally from the lack of professionalism these hacks show again and again, if I were Brewster I wouldn't let these idiots anywhere near him. So that is the state of journalism in the metro.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...it clearly wasn't like the police report with Dom Jones and company, where I was mortified. However, it was very disturbing, I think assault of numerous police offiers is far worse than stealing something non-violently. But, I'm not going to argue crimes here - because that's very subjective. What you could find as minor, I see a major.

As for your 2nd paragraph about talking to the kid to find out how he's doing...do you really think they are available for media comments? Even if there's not a controversy, you can only interview the kids at school sanctioned media events, like the representative they have at the press conference. This is to protect them, and I think it's a good rule. You can cricitze any of the journalists for not printing what you want, but cannot fault them from not going to the source, as they are not allowed to.

P.S. We do agree on one thing - I too, hope he grows as a person, and this is the last we hear about any problems. He's talented, and capable of a lot, I hope he takes advantage of the opportunities he will have being at the U.

I think they are more available that you think. But if I were him I wouldn't talk to anything since they're not really as interested in the him as much as they are in sensationalizing a year old incident.

I think they are more available that you think. But if I were him I wouldn't talk to anything since they're not really as interested in the him as much as they are in sensationalizing a year old incident.

Really? Then you must have different media rules than the rest of us do. They are instructed to not talk to media. So even if they do, and we print it, they will get in trouble. I've talked to a number of guys during the season, but I would never quote them, mention them, or even use any information they gave me - for fear they would get in trouble. I don't think anyone in the media would.

but yet they'll bash them whenever they can. Nice double standard there.

What's your take on Mr. Whaley? have you talked to him this year?

Top Bottom