We're on to Colorado State

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Tough one last night. Defense was really stellar, offense never really got in a rhythm, except for the late TD drive when TCU seemed to be letting us play in front of them. Mitch had very little time on most plays, didn't put the ball where it needed to be other times, and we couldn't make a hole in their line to save our lives, unfortunately. We had an opportunity, and had we played mistake-free football, would've taken it.

Alas, we didn't, but it's just the first step in the long journey of the season. Gotta move on to Colorado State, gotta get the win there. After seeing the team last night, and anticipating some improvement throughout the season as teams are normally wont to do, I honestly believe that 10-2 (7-1) is still well within the realm of possibility but it starts a week from Saturday.

Can't wait for 9/12 to see the team out there again. I'm really thankful that we get a few extra days to get healthy, getting Campion back out there and moving Pirsig back to RT from LT will help a lot, I think. Plus, getting to see Rodney Smith play some more is exciting. Kid can run the football!

Go Gophers!

Need to get healthy. Campion has had concussion issues before. They're going to be real careful.with him. . .you guess is he won't be back until conference play.Edwards is also injured ( sprained ankle)
Gentry out still with a bad hammy.

Need to get healthy. Campion has had concussion issues before. They're going to be real careful.with him. . .you guess is he won't be back until conference play.Edwards is also injured ( sprained ankle)
Gentry out still with a bad hammy.

Agree with Campion. You never know with concussions, he could be back next week or he could be done for good. Assuming he isn't back, either Lauer needs to get healthy or Pirsig/Bush need to get more comfortable in their new roles. OL is my biggest concern right now, easily.

Gophers need to pound the rock next week. Let Leidner be a game manager. But i completely agree that Campion needs to be entirely healthy when it comes to concussions. Although OL is a big concern, mines would be to find another receiver besides KJ. Leidner needs to have play-makers around him to make up for his lack of star quality.

Tough one last night. Defense was really stellar, offense never really got in a rhythm, except for the late TD drive when TCU seemed to be letting us play in front of them. Mitch had very little time on most plays, didn't put the ball where it needed to be other times, and we couldn't make a hole in their line to save our lives, unfortunately. We had an opportunity, and had we played mistake-free football, would've taken it.

Alas, we didn't, but it's just the first step in the long journey of the season. Gotta move on to Colorado State, gotta get the win there. After seeing the team last night, and anticipating some improvement throughout the season as teams are normally wont to do, I honestly believe that 10-2 (7-1) is still well within the realm of possibility but it starts a week from Saturday.

Can't wait for 9/12 to see the team out there again. I'm really thankful that we get a few extra days to get healthy, getting Campion back out there and moving Pirsig back to RT from LT will help a lot, I think. Plus, getting to see Rodney Smith play some more is exciting. Kid can run the football!

Go Gophers!

Also hoping to see more of the no huddle. I don't have anything to back this up, but I felt Leidner seemed to perform better in the no huddle. Again, just my opinion but maybe it keeps him from dwelling/overthinking/whatever you want to call it following a negative play. It felt like when the Gophers were moving the ball, it was in the hurry up. I personally think OL is a much bigger concern than QB. Need to give Mitch more time to throw and he will be just fine. Yes, I hear the complaints, but we don't need a Peyton to win games. Leidner can be effective in this system.

We will see the Rod boys (Rodrick/Rodney), but will we get to see Shannon Brooks or Jeff Jones at RB?

I don't know if Rodney will be durable enough to carry Cobb-like touches and survive a full season.

We will see the Rod boys (Rodrick/Rodney), but will we get to see Shannon Brooks or Jeff Jones at RB?

I don't know if Rodney will be durable enough to carry Cobb-like touches and survive a full season.

I do think we'll see Brooks at some point in the next 3 games.

Also hoping to see more of the no huddle. I don't have anything to back this up, but I felt Leidner seemed to perform better in the no huddle. Again, just my opinion but maybe it keeps him from dwelling/overthinking/whatever you want to call it following a negative play. It felt like when the Gophers were moving the ball, it was in the hurry up. I personally think OL is a much bigger concern than QB. Need to give Mitch more time to throw and he will be just fine. Yes, I hear the complaints, but we don't need a Peyton to win games. Leidner can be effective in this system.

I thought that TCU was taken aback when the team went into no huddle. IMHO, let's utilize it more as it will help both our running & passing game when teams can't substitute on D fast enough. I'd say continue to use both the ground & pound game and the no huddle.

Nick Stevens passed for 289 yards and five touchdowns Saturday to lead CSU to a 65-13 victory over Savannah State at Hughes Stadium.

Stevens, a redshirt sophomore making his first career start, opened the game hot, leading a five-play, 65 yard drive that lasted all of 43 seconds. On the drive, Colorado State University's new no-huddle offense was in rhythm and Stevens completed 5 of 6 pass attempts to five targets, finishing with a nine-yard touchdown pass to tight end Kivon Cartwright.

The Rams' first drive wasn't the first time they got into the end zone. Savannah State received the opening kickoff and on its first two plays — out of the shotgun formation — had snaps go quarterback Tino Smith's head. The first went for a loss of 18 yards, the second was recovered by CSU linebacker Kevin Davis in the end zone.

CSU's offensive focus was through the air, breaking in a pair of new quarterbacks in Stevens and redshirt freshman Coleman Key. In addition to Stevens' production, Key was 7 of 8 passing for 92 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

The six passing touchdowns scored by the Rams were caught by six receivers: Cartwright, Rashard Higgins, Joe Hansley, Bisi Johnson, Xavier Williams and Jasen Oden. Higgins, a junior and 2014 Biletnikoff Award finalist, had seven receptions for 84 yards and was targeted eight times.

Defensively, the Rams were solid, allowing 183 total yards and recovering two turnovers, including an interception by DeAndre Elliott in the first quarter. CSU sacked Savannah State (0-1) seven times and three were by senior defensive end Martavius Foster.

Saturday was a good start for CSU (1-0), but it was far from a perfect performance in coach Mike Bobo's debut. CSU fumbled five times and turned the ball over on four of those. The kicking game showed it needed work with kicker Wyatt Bryan going 1 of 2 on field-goal attempts (making from 31 yards out, missing from 42) and missed an extra point. Three of Braxton Davis' kickoffs went out of bounds.

In addition, wide receiver Jordon Vaden would have had a kickoff returned for a touchdown in the fourth quarter, but dropped the ball two yards short of the goal line.

Jasen Oden led CSU in rushing with 11 carries for 74 yards. Wide receiver Deionte Gaines had an 18-yard touchdown run for the Rams. Freshman running back Izzy Matthews had a 37-yard touchdown run on the second to last play of the game. CSU had 217 rushing yards as a team.

The win was the 500th in CSU history and ninth consecutive at home, setting a school record.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2015/09/05/csu-savannah-state-football/71789440/

So you are saying we're going to have to break up their all time best consecutive home winning streak? Okay...

Nick Stevens passed for 289 yards and five touchdowns Saturday to lead CSU to a 65-13 victory over Savannah State at Hughes Stadium.

Stevens, a redshirt sophomore making his first career start, opened the game hot, leading a five-play, 65 yard drive that lasted all of 43 seconds. On the drive, Colorado State University's new no-huddle offense was in rhythm and Stevens completed 5 of 6 pass attempts to five targets, finishing with a nine-yard touchdown pass to tight end Kivon Cartwright.

The Rams' first drive wasn't the first time they got into the end zone. Savannah State received the opening kickoff and on its first two plays — out of the shotgun formation — had snaps go quarterback Tino Smith's head. The first went for a loss of 18 yards, the second was recovered by CSU linebacker Kevin Davis in the end zone.

CSU's offensive focus was through the air, breaking in a pair of new quarterbacks in Stevens and redshirt freshman Coleman Key. In addition to Stevens' production, Key was 7 of 8 passing for 92 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

The six passing touchdowns scored by the Rams were caught by six receivers: Cartwright, Rashard Higgins, Joe Hansley, Bisi Johnson, Xavier Williams and Jasen Oden. Higgins, a junior and 2014 Biletnikoff Award finalist, had seven receptions for 84 yards and was targeted eight times.

Defensively, the Rams were solid, allowing 183 total yards and recovering two turnovers, including an interception by DeAndre Elliott in the first quarter. CSU sacked Savannah State (0-1) seven times and three were by senior defensive end Martavius Foster.

Saturday was a good start for CSU (1-0), but it was far from a perfect performance in coach Mike Bobo's debut. CSU fumbled five times and turned the ball over on four of those. The kicking game showed it needed work with kicker Wyatt Bryan going 1 of 2 on field-goal attempts (making from 31 yards out, missing from 42) and missed an extra point. Three of Braxton Davis' kickoffs went out of bounds.

In addition, wide receiver Jordon Vaden would have had a kickoff returned for a touchdown in the fourth quarter, but dropped the ball two yards short of the goal line.

Jasen Oden led CSU in rushing with 11 carries for 74 yards. Wide receiver Deionte Gaines had an 18-yard touchdown run for the Rams. Freshman running back Izzy Matthews had a 37-yard touchdown run on the second to last play of the game. CSU had 217 rushing yards as a team.

The win was the 500th in CSU history and ninth consecutive at home, setting a school record.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2015/09/05/csu-savannah-state-football/71789440/

Savannah State was 0-12 last year.

Go Gophers

I thought our left guard play was our Achilles heel Thursday night. Hopefully we can get healthy before we play Colorado State, which is a game that concerns me.

I thought our left guard play was our Achilles heel Thursday night. Hopefully we can get healthy before we play Colorado State, which is a game that concerns me.

Think u were one position off- the LTs were playing matador much of the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevens, a redshirt sophomore making his first career start, opened the game hot...

...Saturday was a good start for CSU (1-0), but it was far from a perfect performance in coach Mike Bobo's debut. CSU fumbled five times and turned the ball over on four of those.

Savannah State football is impressive. Their losing streak just reached 22 games! :clap:
2012 (1-11)
Oklahoma State - L 84-0
FSU - L 55-0
NC Central - L 45-33
Howard - L 56-9
Morgan State - L 45-6
Florida A&M - L 44-3
Edward Waters - W 42-35
Hampton - L 21-13
Norfolk State - L 33-21
Bethune-Cookman - L 49-7
S Carolina St - L 27-13
2013 (1-11)
Ga Southern - L 77-9
Troy - L 66-3
Fort Valley St - W 27-20
Miami (FL) - L 77-7
Delaware State - L 24-22
Norfolk State - L 26-24
Florida A&M - L 27-14
Bethune-Cookman - L 48-21
NC Central - L 24-10
S Carolina St - L 45-9
Howard - L 42-14
NC A&T - L 41-14
2014 (0-12)
MTSU - L 61-7
Ga Southern - L 83-9
Fort Valley St - L 42-28
Delaware State - L 35-10
Norfolk State - L 14-7
Florida A&M - L 24-14
Bethune-Cookman - L 48-20
NC Central - L 42-14
S Carolina St - L 59-7
Howard - L 51-21
NC A&T - L 34-0
BYU - L 64-0
2015 (0-1)
CSU - L 65-13
I wonder what SSU's post game coverage is like. Since I don't know, might as well add some John McKay...
"If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't too important."
“I’ll probably take a little time off and go hide somewhere. We will be back. Maybe not this century, but we will be back and we will be a better football team.”
“There were times I felt like leaving the stadium and hitchhiking home.”
Concerning the age of a QB: "As a person gets older he doesn't get faster. Our quarterback will run from fright or lack of protection."
"Every time I look up, it seems we're punting.''

I've read some good things about Tyler Moore and Quinn Oseland. Perhaps they're in the fold for playing time
if we can't get healthy up front. Hate to have two true-frosh playing up front, but Tyler did graduate early to
get started last spring..

and BTW, Gustavus-Adolphus could beat Savannah St,

If Oselund can get comfortable with enough of the playbook he could hold down LT until Lauer or Campion is healthy. Don't expect that to happen until well into conference play. This freshman class of OL is going to be great.

What about the altitude? Little over 5,000 feet. Colorado State coach, (on the pass-heavy game plan)
“We wanted to come out and throw the ball around against them......and try to get them gassed a little bit in this altitude"
Minimal effect?

2-0 against the Rams. Won 34-16 @ Colorado State in 2004 and won 56-24 in Minneapolis, 2005.

What about the altitude? Little over 5,000 feet. Colorado State coach, (on the pass-heavy game plan)
“We wanted to come out and throw the ball around against them......and try to get them gassed a little bit in this altitude"
Minimal effect?

i was at the game and the ssu linemen had their hands on their hips by the second quarter...but they were also really really fat (and short).

the gophers should win easily, and it is always hard to judge a team when there is such a mismatch, but i was impressed with the sophomore qb and the running game. i was also more impressed with the defense than anything. the linebackers were sideline to sideline and, even though the quarterback (#7;)) was horrible, the secondary looked decent.

the only thing that i can say for sure after watching csu beat up on a jv team is that the cannon is louder than a mofo and about 75 percent of the student section arrived after the first two scores and left at half time.

my opinion about the matchup next weekend is that if the gophers can stop the run with seven in the box (or six, for that matter), then csu is going to struggle. it is hard to judge against ssu, but csu has historically had a strong offensive line and tight ends for a g5 team. i think they will struggle against the gopher defense, though. csu has also been known to field poor defenses. as i said, i was impressed with the defense under the new coordinator from central florida, but the gopher offensive line is much better suited to handle the aggressiveness that csu will try to bring. i think that gophers backs and mitch will gain large chunks running against the csu defense and, even though i am no fan of mitch, i think he's going to have one of his best passing games.

Savannah State football is impressive. Their losing streak just reached 22 games! :clap:
2012 (1-11)
Oklahoma State - L 84-0
FSU - L 55-0
NC Central - L 45-33
Howard - L 56-9
Morgan State - L 45-6
Florida A&M - L 44-3
Edward Waters - W 42-35
Hampton - L 21-13
Norfolk State - L 33-21
Bethune-Cookman - L 49-7
S Carolina St - L 27-13
2013 (1-11)
Ga Southern - L 77-9
Troy - L 66-3
Fort Valley St - W 27-20
Miami (FL) - L 77-7
Delaware State - L 24-22
Norfolk State - L 26-24
Florida A&M - L 27-14
Bethune-Cookman - L 48-21
NC Central - L 24-10
S Carolina St - L 45-9
Howard - L 42-14
NC A&T - L 41-14
2014 (0-12)
MTSU - L 61-7
Ga Southern - L 83-9
Fort Valley St - L 42-28
Delaware State - L 35-10
Norfolk State - L 14-7
Florida A&M - L 24-14
Bethune-Cookman - L 48-20
NC Central - L 42-14
S Carolina St - L 59-7
Howard - L 51-21
NC A&T - L 34-0
BYU - L 64-0
2015 (0-1)
CSU - L 65-13
I wonder what SSU's post game coverage is like. Since I don't know, might as well add some John McKay...
"If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't too important."
“I’ll probably take a little time off and go hide somewhere. We will be back. Maybe not this century, but we will be back and we will be a better football team.”
“There were times I felt like leaving the stadium and hitchhiking home.”
Concerning the age of a QB: "As a person gets older he doesn't get faster. Our quarterback will run from fright or lack of protection."
"Every time I look up, it seems we're punting.''

And those two wins you just showed are against a D2 school and a NAIA school.

for those that cant be at the game in Colorado or does not have the CBS Sports Network as part of their CATV/SATV sports package, when and where will the game be re-broadcasted?

And those two wins you just showed are against a D2 school and a NAIA school.

The sad part of this is that teams like FSU, Oklahoma State, Miami, and BYU schedule Savannah State. I bet Ohio State and Iowa would be calling Savannah state ever year for a game if it weren't for the Big Ten saying no more FCS games.

A scrimmage against their own second team would have been a better challenge than playing Savannah State. I'm not saying that to belittle Colorado State, but playing Savannah State doesn't tell you much about your team.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Interesting...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is it just me, or do people make too much about the altitude? 8,000 feet, I could see the issue, but 5,000 feet is not a huge deal. Remember, we are at around 1,000 feet, not sea level, so the difference is only 4,000 feet.

Wow, who could forget that game against Edward Waters back in 2012?

Minnesota state Mankato is ranked number 1 in D2 and would beat this team by 50 as well. Not to worried.

Top Bottom