We're now in the Curtis Thomas/Clint Brewster/Harold Howell portion...

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
...of the recruiting cycle.

In other words, we're at the point where our staff has spoken with all of the guys they really want, and are just getting numbers at this point to fill out the depth chart. The bright side is that these late offers/visits seem to have a lot more potential than what was left over at the end of Brewster's abbreviated class.

On a side note:

That 2007 class should be the backbone of our 2011 squad. There should be 12-15 key players starting on both sides of the ball and leading our squad toward contention in the BT West. Instead, here are the players left from that recruiting cycle:

Duane Bennett
Chris Bunders
Anthony Jacobs
Ryan Orton
Ryan Wynn

Disgusting. It physically pains me to see this. Five players left (out of 24) from four years ago, and while they are mostly good, solid players, none of them are the type that are the core of your squad and contend for all-conference honors. Mason had years to build this class, and the best player in it (Kyle Theret) was secured by Brewster in the 3 weeks he had to scramble before signing day. Mason should be hung in effigy for stealing money out of the pockets of Minnesota taxpayers from 2005-2007 (at minimum).

Yeah, it is a major problem. Not totally Mason's fault, I mean, part of that class was hit cause he was fired. But still, those last few years of recruiting before he left was a mess and it's a mess we're still trying to dig out of. Hopefully there's not too much carnage from Brewster to Kill and we'll be able to have some sustainable classes over the next bunch of years.

On the other hand some of our best players have been those last guys to be offered. IIRC MBIII was an afterthought and Tutu Atwell was going to Miami until they ran out of scholarships and pulled his. I think that there are great players to be signed that are still out there, but they will have to be the type that "surprise."

I don't think this staff would have taken those guys for obvious reasons, and I don't think they will just take bodies. The kids they take may not be finished players, but if they are athletes they can be players in 2014, we'll still have a team then as well. The good news is they know what they want at each position athletically, and they know how to build players, they have had to do it for 15 years.
I am actually impressed with the athletic ability of even the latest guys on their list. They won't play next year, but they have a chance after that if they want to work.

Were now on the m Carter portion of the recruiting cycle.
Miami is on the s Henderson portion. Ohio state is on the t Pryor portion.

Greg Jones and JJ Watt were on the commit list before Mason was fired. Anybody who brings up Glen Mason on this forum in 2011 should be hung in effigy.

Greg Jones would have been part of that class had Mason not been fired.

Thomas and Brewster weren't guys just taken to be bodies, they had some quality offers. Wasn't Brewster actually an Illinois verbal at one point? This is more like the Howell, Spry, Herndon stage.

Thomas and Brewster weren't guys just taken to be bodies, they had some quality offers. Wasn't Brewster actually an Illinois verbal at one point? This is more like the Howell, Spry, Herndon stage.

I actually think Brewster was a high 3* or a low 4*

Mason was recruiting Watt as a TE. If anyone should send Maturi a thank-you note for firing Mason, it's JJ Watt.

Greg Jones and JJ Watt were on the commit list before Mason was fired. Anybody who brings up Glen Mason on this forum in 2011 should be hung in effigy.

Better yet, how about not bringing up Mason ever again? I cannot believe the futile argument people have here over who was the better coach - Mason or Brewster? The only thing I care about is that we now have a real coach and his named is Jerry Kill. If wren wants continue to charge windmills in the name of his patron saint Mason, let him. The rest of us should be ready to move on.

...of the recruiting cycle.

In other words, we're at the point where our staff has spoken with all of the guys they really want, and are just getting numbers at this point to fill out the depth chart. The bright side is that these late offers/visits seem to have a lot more potential than what was left over at the end of Brewster's abbreviated class.

On a side note:

That 2007 class should be the backbone of our 2011 squad. There should be 12-15 key players starting on both sides of the ball and leading our squad toward contention in the BT West. Instead, here are the players left from that recruiting cycle:

Duane Bennett
Chris Bunders
Anthony Jacobs
Ryan Orton
Ryan Wynn

Disgusting. It physically pains me to see this. Five players left (out of 24) from four years ago, and while they are mostly good, solid players, none of them are the type that are the core of your squad and contend for all-conference honors. Mason had years to build this class, and the best player in it (Kyle Theret) was secured by Brewster in the 3 weeks he had to scramble before signing day. Mason should be hung in effigy for stealing money out of the pockets of Minnesota taxpayers from 2005-2007 (at minimum).

Wow.. Didn't know how bad that was.. Yeah, I know Brew backed us up instead of taking us further.. But Mason helped by putting it into reverse. Brew just hit the gas.

Better yet, how about not bringing up Mason ever again? I cannot believe the futile argument people have here over who was the better coach - Mason or Brewster? The only thing I care about is that we now have a real coach and his named is Jerry Kill. If wren wants continue to charge windmills in the name of his patron saint Mason, let him. The rest of us should be ready to move on.

So killjoy...since you found it necessary to take a shot...here you go: this ones for you killjoy...

; 0 )

Mason was needed to get the stadium built. Mason turned out All-Americans and All_Big Ten players. It was worth while to make road trips when Mason was here. (I was at the Horseshoe for the win over Ohio State in 2000 and in Ann Arbor in 2005 for the win over Michigan.) That was NOT the case with brewster.

I sure as heck appreciated the Mason years much more than the failed experiment that macturi forced upon us during the brewball years.

maturi needs to be run out of town and the sooner the better.

I am hopeful that Coach Kill has nothing but success. I hope that he can return the Gophers to the level of competetivness that Mason achieved. At least he has a beautiful on campus stadium to recruit to and to defend.

Any way you cut it though, Mason did MORE with LESS at Minnesota than any coach since Cal Stoll. And, whenever the dopodolls of the world decide to act out and try to blame brewster's total failure on Mason, it is time to set the record straight. brewster and maturi set Gopher Football back to a HORRIBLE level.

So killjoy...since you found it necessary to take a shot...here you go: this ones for you killjoy...

; 0 )

Mason was needed to get the stadium built. Mason turned out All-Americans and All_Big Ten players. It was worth while to make road trips when Mason was here. (I was at the Horseshoe for the win over Ohio State in 2000 and in Ann Arbor in 2005 for the win over Michigan.) That was NOT the case with brewster.

I sure as heck appreciated the Mason years much more than the failed experiment that macturi forced upon us during the brewball years.

I am hopeful that Coach Kill has nothing but success. I hope that he can return the Gophers to the level of competetivness that Mason achieved. At least he has a beautiful on campus stadium to recruit to and to defend.

Any way you cut it though, Mason did MORE with LESS at Minnesota than any coach since Cal Stoll. And, whenever the dopodolls of the world decide to act out and try to blame brewster's total failure on Mason, it is time to set the record straight. brewster and maturi set Gopher Football back to a HORRIBLE level.

Here is a picture of a guinea pig in a Christmas hat:

7641935-guinea-pig-with-christmas-hat-on-white-background.jpg

; 0 )

I don't agree with the road trips comparison. I went to Purdue, Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin during Mason years and only one of the games was even competetive. Maybe it was me and not Mason though :)

; 0 )

Wrong again, Wally. Why do you always make me take the time to correct your misstatements and inaccuracies? Despite his losing record Brewster was the best thing to happen for Gopher football in many years because he changed the conversation about what our goals should be. Mason had Gopher fans convinced that all we should aspire to is beating 4 patsies in the non-conference schedule and then winning 2 or 3 Big 10 conference games and qualifying for a second rate bowl game. Brewster reminded us all of the glorious history of Gopher football and had many of us thinking that it is still possible to win a Big 10 Championship and go to the Rose Bowl. Just for that alone Brewster should have the undying gratitude of Gopher fans everywhere.

; 0 )

Sweet Jesus, you are SO clueless.
AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!
Mason's recruiting was god awful, it's not debatable, it's not defensible, it's fact. Period. End of story.
Mason's recruiting from 05-07 was horrific and set this program back a ton, add in the moronic coaching of Brewster and you have the culmination in this season.

You are clueless and somehow forget the godawful road games Mason very frequently had, because once in a 10 year run, he was able to beat OSU and Michigan.
He DID NOT achieve a level of success here to be worshiped for, he was mediocre, that's it.
Better than Brewster but still not ok.
And stop with the stadium stuff, he sure did help get the stadium, because he thought once it was built he could stop recruiting altogether.
What coach wouldn't work hard to get a new stadium?
You can't make chicken salad with chickensh&t, especially when you can't read a cookbook.
Brewster had no clue, but the talent level here over the past few years was horrible and that will forever be on Mason.
NOW, let's never utter his grinning name again.:eek:

; 0 )

Wren - Be sure to light a candle for mason for me tonight. That is because I am still having nightmares after watching those unbelievable fourth quarter loses that he became so famous for. I can still see him pacing up and down the sidelines wondering what was the hell was going on. I think everybody else but him knew what the hell was going on.

Wren, a real coach doesn't give 10 reasons as to why you can't recruit here. Instead, a real coach like Jerry Kill, figures out what he needs to do and then works harder, smarter, and with more integrity than his competition does. The problem with you Wren is that you are so focused on glorifying your old buddy Mason that you haven’t noticed that we now have a real coach. So give it up! You will find that in a short time Mason and Brewster will become just bad dreams and then they will fade away.

Not to belabor the point, but Mason had tons of experience when he came here, having been coach of the year in two other conferences and then becoming coach of the year in the Big Ten, too. Clearly he was a better coach than Brewster. But like a lot of others on this board, I'm hopeful Kill and his team will take us further along than Mason did.

As I stated: I like the sounds of Coach Kill. He certainly sounds like a real football coach. However, people, he hasn't even coached a single Big Ten game here yet. This is a mighty tough place to win a lot of Big Ten games. Too many people start claiming that ANY new coach WILL BE better than an old coach. The truth is that we will have to see how Coah Kill does here before anyone can say he is better than the last coach to put together a 10-3 record here. By the way, that would have been Coach Mason.

And that is why they keep a record of the numbers of Big Ten wins and Big Ten losses in a season. They do that EVERY season. Both Gutey and Mason were able to win eight Big Ten games in their first three seasons. hoax didn't stick around long enough to win 8 Big Ten games. Salem got it done in the old Brick House though. And so did Cal Stoll. So did Murray! It's not such an impossible goal. But, it is an important goal. The most important thing is that he must have NO zero Big Ten win seasons. The next number to look for is EIGHT Big Ten wins. IF he surpasses 8 Big Ten wins in his first 3 Big Ten seasons, he will be doing pretty well. (brewster only won 6 Big Ten games in his first 3 seasons. In fact, brewster only won 6 Big Ten games in 3 1/2 seasons.) He must be better than brewster.

So, EIGHT Big Ten wins will be a good milestone for Coach Kill to pass. I hope he does it in his first year...or two. Wouldn't that be GREAT! If it takes him more than three seasons, it wouldn't be so good.

As I stated: I do hope he can make the Gophers as competetive as Coach Mason did. Those wins over teams like Alabama, Arkansas, Oregon, MSU, PSU, OSU, Michigan, iowa, wisky, Illinois, et al were pretty fun to attend.

And, I do enjoy watching some All-American and All-Big Ten players playing for my Golden Gophers!

It is NOT as easy to win Big Ten Football Games as some people around here would like to try to believe every time we fire another football coach. It's a pretty darn tough gig. I wish Coach Kill all the good fortune in the world, but, I will be counting the Big Ten wins and comparing them to the number of Big Ten losses he achieves each season. NOTHING takes the place of a significant number of Big Ten wins. And they don't hand them out to every new coach who comes along. They have to be earned. Each and every Big Ten win is worth it's weight in solid gold. There is NO substitute for Big Ten wins at the University of Minnesota. And, the number to watch for is EIGHT. When we know how many seasons it will take for Coach Kill to get his first eight Big Ten wins, then we will have an idea of what kind of Big Ten Coach he will be. IF he does it in less than three full seasons, he will be doing very well and most likely could be considered to be a potentially better coach than Mason. Nobody EVER has anything just handed to them when they are the football coach at the University of Minnesota though. Coach Kill has got to show me with at least EIGHT Big Ten wins in his first three seasons coaching at Minnesota. And before anyone starts huffing and puffing about how few Big Ten wins that is, at the U of M, that really is a significant number of Big Ten wins. That is one of the hard, cold facts of life for Gopher Football Fans...

You can use 8 as your benchmark if you want. I'm going to see how long it takes him to get to 32 Big Ten wins.

You can use 8 as your benchmark if you want. I'm going to see how long it takes him to get to 32 Big Ten wins.

It took Mason 10 years, are you happy with an average of 3 per year? Below .500 6 of his years, .500 2 years, and 2 years of 5-3.

As I stated: I like the sounds of Coach Kill. He certainly sounds like a real football coach. However, people, he hasn't even coached a single Big Ten game here yet. This is a mighty tough place to win a lot of Big Ten games. Too many people start claiming that ANY new coach WILL BE better than an old coach. The truth is that we will have to see how Coah Kill does here before anyone can say he is better than the last coach to put together a 10-3 record here. By the way, that would have been Coach Mason.

And that is why they keep a record of the numbers of Big Ten wins and Big Ten losses in a season. They do that EVERY season. Both Gutey and Mason were able to win eight Big Ten games in their first three seasons. hoax didn't stick around long enough to win 8 Big Ten games. Salem got it done in the old Brick House though. And so did Cal Stoll. So did Murray! It's not such an impossible goal. But, it is an important goal. The most important thing is that he must have NO zero Big Ten win seasons. The next number to look for is EIGHT Big Ten wins. IF he surpasses 8 Big Ten wins in his first 3 Big Ten seasons, he will be doing pretty well. (brewster only won 6 Big Ten games in his first 3 seasons. In fact, brewster only won 6 Big Ten games in 3 1/2 seasons.) He must be better than brewster.

So, EIGHT Big Ten wins will be a good milestone for Coach Kill to pass. I hope he does it in his first year...or two. Wouldn't that be GREAT! If it takes him more than three seasons, it wouldn't be so good.

As I stated: I do hope he can make the Gophers as competetive as Coach Mason did. Those wins over teams like Alabama, Arkansas, Oregon, MSU, PSU, OSU, Michigan, iowa, wisky, Illinois, et al were pretty fun to attend.

And, I do enjoy watching some All-American and All-Big Ten players playing for my Golden Gophers!

It is NOT as easy to win Big Ten Football Games as some people around here would like to try to believe every time we fire another football coach. It's a pretty darn tough gig. I wish Coach Kill all the good fortune in the world, but, I will be counting the Big Ten wins and comparing them to the number of Big Ten losses he achieves each season. NOTHING takes the place of a significant number of Big Ten wins. And they don't hand them out to every new coach who comes along. They have to be earned. Each and every Big Ten win is worth it's weight in solid gold. There is NO substitute for Big Ten wins at the University of Minnesota. And, the number to watch for is EIGHT. When we know how many seasons it will take for Coach Kill to get his first eight Big Ten wins, then we will have an idea of what kind of Big Ten Coach he will be. IF he does it in less than three full seasons, he will be doing very well and most likely could be considered to be a potentially better coach than Mason. Nobody EVER has anything just handed to them when they are the football coach at the University of Minnesota though. Coach Kill has got to show me with at least EIGHT Big Ten wins in his first three seasons coaching at Minnesota. And before anyone starts huffing and puffing about how few Big Ten wins that is, at the U of M, that really is a significant number of Big Ten wins. That is one of the hard, cold facts of life for Gopher Football Fans...

Here is a picture of a Storm Trooper family doing laundry:
random-funny-collection-00130.jpg

Sweet Jesus, you are SO clueless.
AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!
Mason's recruiting was god awful, it's not debatable, it's not defensible, it's fact. Period. End of story.
Mason's recruiting from 05-07 was horrific and set this program back a ton, add in the moronic coaching of Brewster and you have the culmination in this season.

You are clueless and somehow forget the godawful road games Mason very frequently had, because once in a 10 year run, he was able to beat OSU and Michigan.
He DID NOT achieve a level of success here to be worshiped for, he was mediocre, that's it.
Better than Brewster but still not ok.
And stop with the stadium stuff, he sure did help get the stadium, because he thought once it was built he could stop recruiting altogether.
What coach wouldn't work hard to get a new stadium?
You can't make chicken salad with chickensh&t, especially when you can't read a cookbook.
Brewster had no clue, but the talent level here over the past few years was horrible and that will forever be on Mason.
NOW, let's never utter his grinning name again.:eek:

As Joe Soucheray would say, B as in B, S as in S. All the guy said is that Mason was the best coach since Stoll. That's a fact. It may not be good enough for some of you. You may not like Mason's personality, but it is a plain and simple fact.

How you can accuse a guy of "Mason worship" when he is engaging in "Mason defense" is beyond me. Your Hatred burns so bright that you can't tell the difference? Nobody would have brought Mason up if someone hadn't bemoaned the fact that we're stuck with a crappy class from four years ago making it the excuse du jour this year. The guy got fired and two all americans dropped the gophers.

Mason takes more shots from certain posters on this board that Brewster does. Are you kidding me?

As Joe Soucheray would say, B as in B, S as in S. All the guy said is that Mason was the best coach since Stoll. That's a fact. It may not be good enough for some of you. You may not like Mason's personality, but it is a plain and simple fact.

How you can accuse a guy of "Mason worship" when he is engaging in "Mason defense" is beyond me. Your Hatred burns so bright that you can't tell the difference? Nobody would have brought Mason up if someone hadn't bemoaned the fact that we're stuck with a crappy class from four years ago making it the excuse du jour this year. The guy got fired and two all americans dropped the gophers.

Mason takes more shots from certain posters on this board that Brewster does. Are you kidding me?

If your familiar with wren's posts, you'd know he indeed worships mason.
Plus this started out as a recruiting thread, mason's bad recruiting 05-07 hamstrung an already bad coach and the result is the last 3 years. I'd even go as far as to say 07 would have been an above average class for mason.
I'm done with this back and forth, I simply hate when wren pollutes the board with his slanted view of Mason's history and don't want passerby readers confused on the facts.
Done.

Wren- you forgot to spell Maturi in your custom fashion the second time. More with less? Laughable. He managed to be mediocre with a roster that included NFL'ers all over the offense.

Top Bottom