Well it was a good (well mediocre... maybe even bad) run

oleboy41

Reaction score
This was the straw that broke the camels back. I know nobody cares but allow me to vent briefly. I'm 32 years old. Grew up in Minneapolis and have always been a fan of my hometown teams. No bandwagoning here. That's what a real fan does. But now I'm older, I've got a wife and 4 boys. Life is real. Sports are a distraction. Entertainment that doubles as a way to promote civic pride and an escape from daily life. Fun, really. In my 32 years Gopher football has been occasionally fun but more often frustrating and at times downright saddening. As I matured I got past the point of allowing results of these games affect my mood negatively and began having a healthier relationship with my fandom. that said, even though I'm not a ticket holder, I still devote a fair amount of energy to even following the program closely even as I no longer follow recruiting closely or pay to be on boards. Even when I did, what was the payout? For some its the gameday experience and friendships built and maintained but I'm a MN fan in Illinois. So what then? If I stopped following MN fball 20 years ago, what would I have missed? Not much, that's for sure. I have a friend who just out and quit Illinois football about 6-8 years ago and just decided to follow Oregon. I've clowned him relentlessly for that for years but I must say there's some logic to it. He told me 'why be stressed following a crappy program that never wins? On Saturdays I used to be irritated most of the time and now I'm not. Its a lot more fun rooting for a winner'. There's no prize to following a losing program. This latest situation will set this program back for years. I feel like someone trying to save a relationship with a woman that doesn't want to be there. Holding on to save a bad relationship that even if saved will be bad and bitter again. Think I may just be done

Good luck to your New England Patriots, Golden State Warriors/Cleveland Cavs, your Chicago Cubs, your Minnesota Wild (for the past two weeks at least), Duke hoops and Roll Tide on Saturday's. You've got a heck of a lot to look forward to.

Go Gophers!!

I took a similar turn regarding the Vikings or more particularly the NFL after the 2009 season (overall disgust with the league) and I haven't looked back. Don't regret it and I don't miss the NFL. Being a casual fan is far easier on the psych and the checkbook.

Good luck to your New England Patriots, Golden State Warriors/Cleveland Cavs, your Chicago Cubs, your Minnesota Wild (for the past two weeks at least), Duke hoops and Roll Tide on Saturday's. You've got a heck of a lot to look forward to.

Go Gophers!!

Put it this way: As someone who has been a fan of LeBron for years, watching the Cavs win the title was the most enjoyable sports moment of the last 10 years. The last time a Gopher squad did anything near that fun was the now non existent Final 4 run. But I'm more likely to be a sports Agnostic than a bandwagoner

I'm not sure I could ever just switch over to another team. I would just become a causal fan of the sport. I'm a MN sports fan because that is where I am from and what I grew up watching. Switching to another team would seem so forced to me. I know I wouldn't feel the joy of success like I currently do.

Put it this way: As someone who has been a fan of LeBron for years, watching the Cavs win the title was the most enjoyable sports moment of the last 10 years. The last time a Gopher squad did anything near that fun was the now non existent Final 4 run. But I'm more likely to be a sports Agnostic than a bandwagoner

Men's hockey team won back to back titles (2002, 2003) and played in the Championship game in 2014. The women's team seems to be pretty special as well.

I'm not sure I could ever just switch over to another team. I would just become a causal fan of the sport. I'm a MN sports fan because that is where I am from and what I grew up watching. Switching to another team would seem so forced to me. I know I wouldn't feel the joy of success like I currently do.

Totally agree GII. +1

Men's hockey team won back to back titles (2002, 2003) and played in the Championship game in 2014. The women's team seems to be pretty special as well.

Cool. I don't care about hockey though. BBall and FBall is all I've got the bandwidth for

I wouldn't know what the joy of success feels like. But yea point wasn't changing teams, more like leaving this one. Don't know if its even a conscious decision. Just feel the connection fading

Cool. I don't care about hockey though. BBall and FBall is all I've got the bandwidth for

That's fine. Don't use such a broad brush with such a narrow focus. Maybe take in a hockey game since you seem to be done with BB and FB.

When your favorite team loses, just give up and follow a new one. It's the millennial way.

bandwagon-fan.jpg

Ironically, I've become more of a Gopher fan in recent years, and less of a Vikings fan. I used to live and die with every Vikings game. Now, if I'm home and the Vikes are on TV, I'll watch the game - but if I miss a game, it's not the end of the world. Last Sunday, I fell asleep during the second quarter. that never would have happened a few years ago.

On the flip side, I follow the Gophers much more closely than I used to - in large part due to being involved on this board. If the Gophers lose, I'm depressed for the rest of the day, at least. If the Vikes lose, it's "so what."

But, I could never see myself switching allegiance to another team. I have to have a rooting interest to care about a game. I will not watch a random college or pro game on TV - just don't care. I'd rather listen to music or read a book. (or look up random facts on wikipedia).

For college sports, it's Gophers or bust. (although I have watched a few Augsburg College games on the internet - being an Auggie Alum.)

If you hang with a team in the down times, the great wins mean a lot more.

This was the straw that broke the camels back. I know nobody cares but allow me to vent briefly. I'm 32 years old. Grew up in Minneapolis and have always been a fan of my hometown teams. No bandwagoning here. That's what a real fan does. But now I'm older, I've got a wife and 4 boys. Life is real. Sports are a distraction. Entertainment that doubles as a way to promote civic pride and an escape from daily life. Fun, really. In my 32 years Gopher football has been occasionally fun but more often frustrating and at times downright saddening. As I matured I got past the point of allowing results of these games affect my mood negatively and began having a healthier relationship with my fandom. that said, even though I'm not a ticket holder, I still devote a fair amount of energy to even following the program closely even as I no longer follow recruiting closely or pay to be on boards. Even when I did, what was the payout? For some its the gameday experience and friendships built and maintained but I'm a MN fan in Illinois. So what then? If I stopped following MN fball 20 years ago, what would I have missed? Not much, that's for sure. I have a friend who just out and quit Illinois football about 6-8 years ago and just decided to follow Oregon. I've clowned him relentlessly for that for years but I must say there's some logic to it. He told me 'why be stressed following a crappy program that never wins? On Saturdays I used to be irritated most of the time and now I'm not. Its a lot more fun rooting for a winner'. There's no prize to following a losing program. This latest situation will set this program back for years. I feel like someone trying to save a relationship with a woman that doesn't want to be there. Holding on to save a bad relationship that even if saved will be bad and bitter again. Think I may just be done
Bye.

+1,000

I am surrounded by people that have never lived outside our state, yet their favorite teams are all over the board (usually winning ones). The way I see it, I was born and raised here, so support our local teams. There are many cities and states that would love to have all 4 major league sports (soon to be 5 with the MN United) - we have them all! (plus our beloved Gophers).

For me I've gotten into fantasy sports a little more. For example, the twins have been brutal the past few years so I started doing fantasy baseball. This way I still get to pay attention to the sport, you have a little more control in the outcome, get to continue to follow the Twins but to a less stressful degree, and have fun, friendships, etc. When I say fantasy sports I don't mean have a gambling problem and risk thousands a year. Just a few hundred bucks per season and you continue to have things to cheer and be passionate about.

It by no means replaces the love and pride you will have being a die hard for a team, but it eases the pain a little, and the way the state is looking sports wise, there isn't a lot to be hopeful for in the near future.

I am not giving up on the gophers but I have given up on some gophers.

Ironically, I've become more of a Gopher fan in recent years, and less of a Vikings fan. I used to live and die with every Vikings game. Now, if I'm home and the Vikes are on TV, I'll watch the game - but if I miss a game, it's not the end of the world. Last Sunday, I fell asleep during the second quarter. that never would have happened a few years ago.

On the flip side, I follow the Gophers much more closely than I used to - in large part due to being involved on this board. If the Gophers lose, I'm depressed for the rest of the day, at least. If the Vikes lose, it's "so what."

But, I could never see myself switching allegiance to another team. I have to have a rooting interest to care about a game. I will not watch a random college or pro game on TV - just don't care. I'd rather listen to music or read a book. (or look up random facts on wikipedia).

For college sports, it's Gophers or bust. (although I have watched a few Augsburg College games on the internet - being an Auggie Alum.)

Yes me too. I think it was partly getting sentimental as I got older (memories of listening to Ray call the games on the radio), supporting an underdog that I feel is at times on the verge of being more, and loving the Saturday game day experience (band, tailgating...)

"You got no ****in idea how bad it gets. I'm not you. I can't make it on a couple a high-altitude wins once or twice a year. You're too much for me, Gophers, you son of a whoreson bitch. I wish I knew how to quit you.”

I've tried quitting. I think I need a patch for that

Well you did write a short novel to essentially say you arent a fan of the gophers anymore.

I kind of wish I had that luxury. Well I guess I do, but I'm too dang loyal.

I've learned to sit back and enjoy the ride. My only expectation for Gophers football and basketball is that they will be a roller-coaster ride, which provides highs and nasty lows. Winning is a temporary luxury and the bottom of the coaster always comes with at least a bump before going back down. This is the nature of being a Gopher fan. No unrealistic expectations of sustained greatness. Only a foreboding reality that the next drop on the roller-coaster is coming. I enjoy the highs and know the cars are going to go rushing downward soon.
What makes it thrilling is the amazingly creative ways this university comes up with in order to start the downward desent. Like a good mystery, you just don't see it coming until you begin the downward motion.
It's the thrill of the ride that makes me stay on board. [emoji41]

Thread is woefully incomplete without OB telling us his take on the issue at hand. As a vocal proponent of the institutional racism argument, you're not going to touch this?

Top Bottom