Well it was a good (well mediocre... maybe even bad) run

This was the straw that broke the camels back. I know nobody cares but allow me to vent briefly. I'm 32 years old. Grew up in Minneapolis and have always been a fan of my hometown teams. No bandwagoning here. That's what a real fan does. But now I'm older, I've got a wife and 4 boys. Life is real. Sports are a distraction. Entertainment that doubles as a way to promote civic pride and an escape from daily life. Fun, really. In my 32 years Gopher football has been occasionally fun but more often frustrating and at times downright saddening. As I matured I got past the point of allowing results of these games affect my mood negatively and began having a healthier relationship with my fandom. that said, even though I'm not a ticket holder, I still devote a fair amount of energy to even following the program closely even as I no longer follow recruiting closely or pay to be on boards. Even when I did, what was the payout? For some its the gameday experience and friendships built and maintained but I'm a MN fan in Illinois. So what then? If I stopped following MN fball 20 years ago, what would I have missed? Not much, that's for sure. I have a friend who just out and quit Illinois football about 6-8 years ago and just decided to follow Oregon. I've clowned him relentlessly for that for years but I must say there's some logic to it. He told me 'why be stressed following a crappy program that never wins? On Saturdays I used to be irritated most of the time and now I'm not. Its a lot more fun rooting for a winner'. There's no prize to following a losing program. This latest situation will set this program back for years. I feel like someone trying to save a relationship with a woman that doesn't want to be there. Holding on to save a bad relationship that even if saved will be bad and bitter again. Think I may just be done

Pu**y

I think the lack of support for this team next year will be shocking, particularly compared to 2014 and 2015, and I don't see how it wouldn't be even worse without a coaching change. The AD is in a tough situation.

So many people seem to be turned off by this team and are even rooting against them. It truly has turned into a sad situation. Amazing, when you compare where this program was less than 2 years ago. That's what a lack of leadership will do. Even if they somehow pull out an amazing win in this bowl game, how many people will even care? Think about that! Gophers go to the Holiday Bowl, win, and finish 9-4 and almost nobody cares. Who'd a thunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will all be back plus some when we start the season 7-0.

Can't turn on them the Gophers, even if I would like to shake a fist, and I don't want the actions and choices of a few, the limited few, paint the rest of the team as the "bad" guys. The Rouser and chanting M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A even at a womens Hockey or Bball game is in my DNA.

Through this adversity I am hoping that we all emerge as better for it.

Like the school, although believe me I have muttered bleeping U and bleeping Lucy pulled the football a few times, I still support my school. I have always enjoyed U athletics in good times and bad, from my first run as a student to my final hurrah and finally finishing. They are the front porch to the University, and the little tie back I have left to Dinkytown, and Coffman memorial and my times in school at BW3.
I have invested to much of heart and have to many good memory's (The basketball Final Four celebrations at Williams arena for both mens and womens basketball(Was fortunate enough to travel to Norfolk and New Orleans for that fun ride are cherished memories). Lyndsey Whalen's, jersey bleed the color maroon out of it onto her arms that night in Norfolk, that was how hard she was working, and how much of herself she poured into that game against Duke during that run. That women willed her team to victory at a large physical expense to herself.
When you witness someone putting that much on the line and working that hard, you know you witnessed not just history but greatness. She has been a fantastic role model for the University and its athletes, more should try to emulate her. Janna Shortall as a reporter on the plane coming back from Norfolk could not understand why we were not partying and celebrating more on the plane back as fans. I was to tired to barely smile and to horse to hardly talk from being as loud as I could be at the game.
For football, the many shared good times and road trips to the Big House, the Shoe, The Monsoons in Evanston and lacking rain gear both times, West Laffyteet, Mad Town and the Camp, Kinnick stadium when Shawn Hoffman picked off that pass and we ran around on the field with our bowl pins and singing the rouser.

Can't just turn the page and say to heck with it. Some day the Axe will come back after that long absence, just like the Pig and Jug before it. To many shared good times with friends and family to give up and so no more. We have waited a long time for that visit to that Neon sign in Pasadena, and the setting sun on the mountains, it may never happen in my lifetime but I still dream about the Gophers m taking me there someday and that journey and payoff being completed.

Top Bottom