Well it was a good (well mediocre... maybe even bad) run

Judging by your post, you're not an alumni. I think it's easier to give up on them if you don't have that extra tie to the team.

I thought I had learned to handle defeat and had done a pretty good job of it until this season. Being a Viking and Gophers fan, I learned long ago that if you allow Sports Teams to ruin your mood or day- all that it really does is make you miserable and those around you miserable. The Penn State and Wisconsin games this year showed me I still have a little ways to go. For some reason- probably the whole snatching defeat from the jaws of victory- those losses were the first ones to really get me since Michigan 2003. I moved to Minnesota when I was 12- and already an avid St. Louis Cardinals Baseball fan. So...1987 really sucked, but I have enjoyed the success of rooting for a non 'home' team.

I wouldn't know what the joy of success feels like. But yea point wasn't changing teams, more like leaving this one. Don't know if its even a conscious decision. Just feel the connection fading

I think the little things are so much more satisfying when you're emotionally attached. Like the basketball team's win over Maryland last year. Or some of the Iowa and Nebraska wins in football. I think I get more joy out of those kind of wins than I would with a conference or national championship for a team I forced myself to like. There's just not the emotion.

But I can understand just not really being invested in a team anymore. Makes more sense than changing from an Illinois fan to an Oregon fan with a snap of a finger.

Judging by your post, you're not an alumni. I think it's easier to give up on them if you don't have that extra tie to the team.

I agree. As an Alum...we are strapped into this **** wagon for life.

I kind of wish I had that luxury. Well I guess I do, but I'm too dang loyal.

Me as well. Every time one of my teams has a bad and disappointing loss (which happens a lot), I tell myself I'm not going to be so invested in this stuff anymore. A week or two later, I'm right back there cheering on my teams.

This was the straw that broke the camels back. I know nobody cares but allow me to vent briefly. I'm 32 years old. Grew up in Minneapolis and have always been a fan of my hometown teams. No bandwagoning here. That's what a real fan does. But now I'm older, I've got a wife and 4 boys. Life is real. Sports are a distraction. Entertainment that doubles as a way to promote civic pride and an escape from daily life. Fun, really. In my 32 years Gopher football has been occasionally fun but more often frustrating and at times downright saddening. As I matured I got past the point of allowing results of these games affect my mood negatively and began having a healthier relationship with my fandom. that said, even though I'm not a ticket holder, I still devote a fair amount of energy to even following the program closely even as I no longer follow recruiting closely or pay to be on boards. Even when I did, what was the payout? For some its the gameday experience and friendships built and maintained but I'm a MN fan in Illinois. So what then? If I stopped following MN fball 20 years ago, what would I have missed? Not much, that's for sure. I have a friend who just out and quit Illinois football about 6-8 years ago and just decided to follow Oregon. I've clowned him relentlessly for that for years but I must say there's some logic to it. He told me 'why be stressed following a crappy program that never wins? On Saturdays I used to be irritated most of the time and now I'm not. Its a lot more fun rooting for a winner'. There's no prize to following a losing program. This latest situation will set this program back for years. I feel like someone trying to save a relationship with a woman that doesn't want to be there. Holding on to save a bad relationship that even if saved will be bad and bitter again. Think I may just be done

I'm so tired of posts like this. Yes I feel your pain, I've had season tickets since '84 but seriously we all need to take a deep breath and step away from the ledge. Things are never as bad as they seem and that's true in this case I believe. I disagree with the notion that this sets the program back years, it's to early to know that. I also disagree that this is not an attractive job even with the current situation. Great conference, great area to live, great stadium, new facilities on the way. Lots of reasons a good coach would love to be here. The sky is not falling people.

I will never stop going to games and being a huge supporter and those that do leave, well goodbye I guess. The Gophers are my team!!

oleboy, I can sympathize (as I find myself on the verge of the same thoughts).
I've been posting on this forum since 2004 (about three host-changes ago) and I have seen a lot of the bigger fans from bygone years dial back their participation or end it completely; while some have died (Snowman) and some have faked their deaths (Kelly Leeks).
This forum itself can be quite toxic. Often times I find myself okay with the results of a given Saturday until I come on here and read all of the reasons that I should be enraged. My guess is that many of the people posting the most provocative things on here are not actual season ticket holders, nor do they donate to the team or support it in any meaningful way. So one suggestion to you is to stay away from this board for a while to gain some perspective (I should follow my own advice).
Maybe just ignore the program altogether until next August.
I hope that you come back, because this team will need fans like you if it is ever to reach the potential it should have (as I've always said, I see no reason that the Gophers can't be as good as Wisconsin or Iowa or Michigan State).
And don't let other posters on this site give you **** for trying to figure out the role of Gophers football in your life... after all, it is your life.

Oleboy, I totally get what you're saying. I've been a fan since Lou Holtz was hired, when I was ten years old. I've never been so discouraged, and I'm considering walking away. I did that with the Vikings back in the mid nineties, and now my years as a Vikings fan are nothing more than a pleasant memory.

Of course the difference between this and any other sports scandal is that those who aren't mad at the administration or the coach are angry with the players. You can count me among those who are mostly disgusted with the players.

Well you did write a short novel to essentially say you arent a fan of the gophers anymore.

In which I acknowledged that most likely didn't care and asked the reader to briefly indulge my rant. If you didn't want to you've been free to ignore and move on

This is somewhat true. I AM an alumni of a school with a D1 basketball program but followed the Gophers much closer, even while I was in school. That said I don't have that specific tie but I've been in it my entire life

Thread is woefully incomplete without OB telling us his take on the issue at hand. As a vocal proponent of the institutional racism argument, you're not going to touch this?

I didn't realize institutional racism existed as an argument to be made or that it needs opponents or detractors. Its a thing that exists and has an affect on many things in many arenas. But my personal thoughts on this situation don't really matter. The net result will likely be close to a dozen players gone unexpectedly, possible coaching changes and a breakdown or at least a widening of the mistrust between administration and the program, none of which are good things.

Hello OP (OB), this conversation is one of my favorites. I think that the important take aways from this debacle are...

1. This collection of players (especially), coaches (very much so), and administration (to a lesser degree (for me)), don't represent me (us (fans/alumni/etc..)). I see their actions as a betrayal to academia, and they have made it impossible to cheer for the football team in the immediate future.

2. New names, faces, attitudes, etc... will replace this group in the near future, and it will once again be possible to cheer for the team. At the end of the day, we cheer for maroon and gold colored laundry. Our allegiances are important, and our emotions are often times uncontrollable, and we inevitably drift back into the fold as a fan.

3. You are spot on regarding high levels of fan passion as a general life hindrance. The argument about "bandwagon" fandom has always fascinated me. The only healthy way to survive the realm of passionate fandom, is to check-out when the team is terrible or finds itself in a situation like this one.... and then jump back into the fold when the air becomes less toxic. It's okay to walk away for a while, and find your way back when respectability returns. I do it all the time.

4. I greatly appreciate your post, because it's healthy to turn away from this team (this specific 2016 team). This is an embarrassment of epic proportions, and this group deserves the support of no one (feel free to dump on article 4, you blindly passionate fans!). When the "fraternity" or the "brotherhood" takes precedent over basic human decency, you've lost me (and presumably OldBoy).

Hopefully we can return to this amazing collection of Gophers fans as early as Fall 2017.

Sayonara Goofs!

Ironically, I've become more of a Gopher fan in recent years, and less of a Vikings fan. I used to live and die with every Vikings game. Now, if I'm home and the Vikes are on TV, I'll watch the game - but if I miss a game, it's not the end of the world. Last Sunday, I fell asleep during the second quarter. that never would have happened a few years ago.

On the flip side, I follow the Gophers much more closely than I used to - in large part due to being involved on this board. If the Gophers lose, I'm depressed for the rest of the day, at least. If the Vikes lose, it's "so what."

But, I could never see myself switching allegiance to another team. I have to have a rooting interest to care about a game. I will not watch a random college or pro game on TV - just don't care. I'd rather listen to music or read a book. (or look up random facts on wikipedia).

For college sports, it's Gophers or bust. (although I have watched a few Augsburg College games on the internet - being an Auggie Alum.)

I'm right with you word for word, all the way down the line to watching Augsburg football and basketball online occasionally (yes, an Auggie here).

I guess I see it both ways. Being a Packer fan I have seen many mostly winning seasons since I was at the U when they traded for Brett Favre and signed Reggie White. However, growing up...they sucked. I have to say I enjoy seeing the Gophers win a big game or the Brewers make the playoffs more than I do seeing the Packers go deep into the playoffs because it is less common. My point is that I, like most people enjoy the "high" of seeing a team that normally struggles win. I couldn't and would never change my desire to root for them no matter how many Saturdays they ruin.

I didn't realize institutional racism existed as an argument to be made or that it needs opponents or detractors. Its a thing that exists and has an affect on many things in many arenas. But my personal thoughts on this situation don't really matter. The net result will likely be close to a dozen players gone unexpectedly, possible coaching changes and a breakdown or at least a widening of the mistrust between administration and the program, none of which are good things.

gotcha, about what I figured.

yes, institutional racism is an argument. One can choose not to take a side. There are opponents and proponents of the argument. You are attempting to state that it is an established, unquestionable fact, I think. I'm not interested in that argument here, I'm just interested in what Reusse's recent column described, a squaring off of two victim groups, young black men and female accusers. It's interesting to me how left leaning individuals sort out these cases. Young white men and female accusers, slam dunk. Young black men victimized by the police, the courts, white men, slam dunk. This is no slam dunk, and I've noticed a maybe 80/20 split in our left leaning posters, maybe it's just their interpretation of the facts, or maybe they are biased by being gopher fans, but in most cases left leaners are siding with the victim. But it's fine if you aren't interested in engaging. Good luck cheering for the Badgers!

Hello OP (OB), this conversation is one of my favorites. I think that the important take aways from this debacle are...

1. This collection of players (especially), coaches (very much so), and administration (to a lesser degree (for me)), don't represent me (us (fans/alumni/etc..)). I see their actions as a betrayal to academia, and they have made it impossible to cheer for the football team in the immediate future.

2. New names, faces, attitudes, etc... will replace this group in the near future, and it will once again be possible to cheer for the team. At the end of the day, we cheer for maroon and gold colored laundry. Our allegiances are important, and our emotions are often times uncontrollable, and we inevitably drift back into the fold as a fan.

3. You are spot on regarding high levels of fan passion as a general life hindrance. The argument about "bandwagon" fandom has always fascinated me. The only healthy way to survive the realm of passionate fandom, is to check-out when the team is terrible or finds itself in a situation like this one.... and then jump back into the fold when the air becomes less toxic. It's okay to walk away for a while, and find your way back when respectability returns. I do it all the time.

4. I greatly appreciate your post, because it's healthy to turn away from this team (this specific 2016 team). This is an embarrassment of epic proportions, and this group deserves the support of no one (feel free to dump on article 4, you blindly passionate fans!). When the "fraternity" or the "brotherhood" takes precedent over basic human decency, you've lost me (and presumably OldBoy).

Hopefully we can return to this amazing collection of Gophers fans as early as Fall 2017.

Sayonara Goofs!

If everyone had this attitude, the bad teams would never get out of the abyss.

My dad would roll over in his grave if I were to dis the Gophers.Our kids were raised Gopher fans. Their kids will be Gopher fans. Quite frankly, I've put this incident behind me and am forcusing on the trip to San Diego and cheering my lungs out for " Our" team. I still get a tear in the eye and a tug in the heart when the band does the " Swinging Gate" and the team takes the field. I guess I will never understand why the people of this State don't support the Flagship of
Minnesota

This was the straw that broke the camels back. I know nobody cares but allow me to vent briefly. I'm 32 years old. Grew up in Minneapolis and have always been a fan of my hometown teams. No bandwagoning here. That's what a real fan does. But now I'm older, I've got a wife and 4 boys. Life is real. Sports are a distraction. Entertainment that doubles as a way to promote civic pride and an escape from daily life. Fun, really. In my 32 years Gopher football has been occasionally fun but more often frustrating and at times downright saddening. As I matured I got past the point of allowing results of these games affect my mood negatively and began having a healthier relationship with my fandom. that said, even though I'm not a ticket holder, I still devote a fair amount of energy to even following the program closely even as I no longer follow recruiting closely or pay to be on boards. Even when I did, what was the payout? For some its the gameday experience and friendships built and maintained but I'm a MN fan in Illinois. So what then? If I stopped following MN fball 20 years ago, what would I have missed? Not much, that's for sure. I have a friend who just out and quit Illinois football about 6-8 years ago and just decided to follow Oregon. I've clowned him relentlessly for that for years but I must say there's some logic to it. He told me 'why be stressed following a crappy program that never wins? On Saturdays I used to be irritated most of the time and now I'm not. Its a lot more fun rooting for a winner'. There's no prize to following a losing program. This latest situation will set this program back for years. I feel like someone trying to save a relationship with a woman that doesn't want to be there. Holding on to save a bad relationship that even if saved will be bad and bitter again. Think I may just be done

I enjoyed your posts over the years oleboy41, but I certainly understand your decision.

Put it this way: As someone who has been a fan of LeBron for years, watching the Cavs win the title was the most enjoyable sports moment of the last 10 years. The last time a Gopher squad did anything near that fun was the now non existent Final 4 run. But I'm more likely to be a sports Agnostic than a bandwagoner

So you'd rather have fixed sports? Okey doke.

I think the lack of support for this team next year will be shocking, particularly compared to 2014 and 2015, and I don't see how it wouldn't be even worse without a coaching change. The AD is in a tough situation.

So many people seem to be turned off by this team and are even rooting against them. It truly has turned into a sad situation. Amazing, when you compare where this program was less than 2 years ago. That's what a lack of leadership will do. Even if they somehow pull out an amazing win in this bowl game, how many people will even care? Think about that! Gophers go to the Holiday Bowl, win, and finish 9-4 and almost nobody cares. Who'd a thunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the lack of support for this team next year will be shocking, particularly compared to 2014 and 2015, and I don't see how it wouldn't be even worse without a coaching change. The AD is in a tough situation.

So many people seem to be turned off by this team and are even rooting against them. It truly has turned into a sad situation. Amazing, when you compare where this program was less than 2 years ago. That's what a lack of leadership will do. Even if they somehow pull out an amazing win in this bowl game, how many people will even care? Think about that! Gophers go to the Holiday Bowl, win, and finish 9-4 and almost nobody cares. Who'd a thunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I believe Claeys will be forced out after the bowl game, next year is going to be difficult regardless may as well look for a better CEO type.

This is why I believe Claeys will be forced out after the bowl game, next year is going to be difficult regardless may as well look for a better CEO type.

I think that will be the worst position to be in at that time. We've been through a coaching search after the bowl game before and it didn't go well. Just not a lot of options at this point.

I wasn't a fan of Claeys but at this point it would be asinine to fire him (insert joke here). Over time clearer heads will prevail, people might pull the fingers out of their ears and listen to people like Dean Johnson, and the world will turn.

I mean where else can you have memories like listening to the radio while michigan overcomes unimaginable odds to stomp your team. My most memorable gopher football moment. Stuff like that is once in a lifetime....

Top Bottom