Welcome to BIG BOY Football

I think there is a hunger for football fans in this area that are not engaged in college football to get into it. Heard on KFAN yesterday from the morning guys who watched the Championship Game on Monday, realizing that they hadn't watched any college football all season because MN hasn't been good. They know college football is an incredibly fun atmosphere and spectacle, but without any local relevance, they don't feel engaged or interested enough to watch it. They mentioned that if the Gophers had a shot of playing teams like Clemson and Alabama, they would likely watch those games. This is the type of fan that Fleck wants to reach out to and bring into the fold.

So the guys who host the morning show on the home of Gopher football might start watching Gopher football if it is a top 10 program? Man, those guys are terrible.

I think there is a hunger for football fans in this area that are not engaged in college football to get into it. Heard on KFAN yesterday from the morning guys who watched the Championship Game on Monday, realizing that they hadn't watched any college football all season because MN hasn't been good. They know college football is an incredibly fun atmosphere and spectacle, but without any local relevance, they don't feel engaged or interested enough to watch it. They mentioned that if the Gophers had a shot of playing teams like Clemson and Alabama, they would likely watch those games. This is the type of fan that Fleck wants to reach out to and bring into the fold.

What is it that Dan Cole says? "Call me when they beat..."

It will take a win vs Wisconsin, Michigan, or OSU to get most of this area's attention.

What is it that Dan Cole says? "Call me when they beat..."

It will take a win vs Wisconsin, Michigan, or OSU to get most of this area's attention.

Beating Wisconsin regularly should be a perfectly achievable, realistic, goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the guys who host the morning show on the home of Gopher football might start watching Gopher football if it is a top 10 program? Man, those guys are terrible.

Cory Cove is like Mikey in the Life cereal ad - he hates everything (except Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, and poker)

Chris Hawkey actually had season tickets until his life got too busy between working to parabolic mic at Vikings road games & his music career.

Paul Lambert plays the idiot to Cory.

The problem is the Mikey type guy has the mic most of the time.

Yea there is. You can't be a 'helmet' school without local talent. The only Midwest/Northern 'helmet' schools established that rep 30-50 years ago before things like integration, the population shift to the south and other factors took place. Even now, Nebraska and ND have struggled to field top 20 teams consistently over the last 10-15 years. OSU and Michigan are doing fine but there is a lot of talent in those 2 states as well. MN will ALWAYS have to rely heavily on not just out of state players but players in entire other regions.
May be true that population density is a factor, but back in the day MN WAS a "helmet school" dominating the Big 10 and even nationally! Last school in NCAA history to win 3 natty's in a row? 7 natty's total? I mean yeah ages ago but still... it happened before and there was less population and diversity here back then.

Cory Cove is like Mikey in the Life cereal ad - he hates everything (except Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, and poker)

Chris Hawkey actually had season tickets until his life got too busy between working to parabolic mic at Vikings road games & his music career.

That's the morning show? Full time? I haven't listened to that station in about 10 years, unless I'm driving and want to hear what I'm missing in the Vikings game.

How can anyone listen to that show? It sounds horrible.

That said, if and when he doesn't change who he is for his new audience, he is making a choice, and if that choice backfires, he has chosen that sword to fall on.

What are we 1 week in and we have philosophical analysis of his eventual preordained failure.

They could win the national championship and 1 week later people would be writing Flecks obituary with detailed analysis.
LOL

What are we 1 week in and we have philosophical analysis of his eventual preordained failure.

They could win the national championship and 1 week later people would be writing Flecks obituary with detailed analysis.
LOL

I certainly wasn't making any prediction as to what will happen, just laying out the scenario of what could happen should failure come to pass and how it would be perceived. I think Fleck has a better chance to succeed at Minnesota than any coach we've hired since Murray Warmath (and potentially even since Wes Fesler, as Warmath didn't come into a particularly winning program at the time), and I'm excited to see him start down that path.

That's the morning show? Full time? I haven't listened to that station in about 10 years, unless I'm driving and want to hear what I'm missing in the Vikings game.

How can anyone listen to that show? It sounds horrible.

It is horrible, the target audience is mentally an 8th grader.
I listen to other shows on the fan, but can't stand the morning show.

I certainly wasn't making any prediction as to what will happen, just laying out the scenario of what could happen should failure come to pass and how it would be perceived. I think Fleck has a better chance to succeed at Minnesota than any coach we've hired since Murray Warmath (and potentially even since Wes Fesler, as Warmath didn't come into a particularly winning program at the time), and I'm excited to see him start down that path.

Fleck could slip on the ice in one of our now regular ice storms, sprain his sac and leave us with a shell of the man we hired.

You never know...
:p

There are already media who are skeptical...who think his whole thing is a schtick. One good year won't change their minds. Similarly, one average to poor year won't turn positive opinions of him to negative. Nobody expects this to be an immediate turnaround. No culture change ever is immediate.

And negative articles won't bother Fleck. The media isn't his target audience, and neither is the majority of people who read newspapers.

It's not a turnaround.

It seems a little odd to me to talk about win expectations for next year with an EXTRAORDINARY amount of uncertainty surrounding not just QB, easily the most critical position on the field, but also with what happens with the 10 suspended players. The settling out of those two situations will have a monumental impact on the direction of next season. QB could still be any one of 4 people right now (and at least 3 of those at any point in the last week or two there was some question they would even be on the roster in the spring) and virtually the entire starting secondary is in limbo until we have more clarity on the suspended guys.

As a result of that, I would put my expectations for next year, at least in terms of W and L's, at a big fat "I", for incomplete. More data needed.

It is horrible, the target audience is mentally an 8th grader.
I listen to other shows on the fan, but can't stand the morning show.

The KFAN morning is the worst sports talk show that I've ever listened to.

It seems a little odd to me to talk about win expectations for next year with an EXTRAORDINARY amount of uncertainty surrounding not just QB, easily the most critical position on the field, but also with what happens with the 10 suspended players. The settling out of those two situations will have a monumental impact on the direction of next season. QB could still be any one of 4 people right now (and at least 3 of those at any point in the last week or two there was some question they would even be on the roster in the spring) and virtually the entire starting secondary is in limbo until we have more clarity on the suspended guys.

As a result of that, I would put my expectations for next year, at least in terms of W and L's, at a big fat "I", for incomplete. More data needed.

Unknown QB + Coaching Changes + Possible Transfers = Who the hell knows.

There is uncertainty every single season. Players leave every year.
We will have a new QB and our secondary is going to be almost completely new.
Outside of those two areas, we return an awful lot of talent at the other positions to help cover for those areas, especially in the early part of the season.

The unity that this team showed in the bowl game is something we all should be proud of and I think Coach Fleck and his new staff can build off of that. Installing the new offensive and defensive schemes will take some time, but they will have an entire spring practice as well as the summer to get the kinks worked out. The foundation is there, the financial commitment has been made, and I feel Coach Fleck can create his culture here and have success this coming year.

That giant died. Long ago. This isn't 5, 10, or 20 yrs of futility.

Ok. But not dead. Minnesota Football is a comatose giant, close to death, with a chance ( we're sayin there's a chance ) of revival....

This is why I don't listen to them. It's a shame Gopher football is on such a disrespectful station. If only Hubbard Broadcasting would step up to take the broadcast rights and put them on FM. They could bring along the other Gopher broadcasts they have to the FM radio.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

This is why I don't listen to them. It's a shame Gopher football is on such a disrespectful station. If only Hubbard Broadcasting would step up to take the broadcast rights and put them on FM.
KFAN is on FM

KFAN is on FM
and they are still the worst sports station in town. Get 1500ESPN simulcast on FM and they will be gone like a fart in a windy room.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would like to see some of the ten players back, if they are cleared, even if that is not politically correct. They should not be victimized. I don't like the DC pick. Recruits so far are basically MAC level - still no shining QB showing up, unless Green can play. After decades of lousy defense (especially pass defense, remember 4th quarter of Michigan, 2003?), we had a nationally recognized defense that could shut down top passing teams and saved the offense in game after game. To lose that is huge, if it happens. At this point, I'm hopeful, but skeptical. 5 or 6 wins in '17?

and they are still the worst sports station in town. Get 1500ESPN simulcast on FM and they will be gone like a fart in a windy room.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Highest rated sports talk station in the nation. Some may disagree with your take on KFAN.

The KFAN morning is the worst sports talk show that I've ever listened to.

I listen on my drive to work almost every day. I have never considered it a sports show tho. I think it is OK, but 1,000,000,000 times better since they got rid of Morris.

Highest rated sports talk station in the nation. Some may disagree with your take on KFAN.

I listen on my drive to work almost every day. I have never considered it a sports show tho. I think it is OK, but 1,000,000,000 times better since they got rid of Morris.

KFAN who employ Paul "The Vikings are 5 and 0, and I can't find a loss on the schedule" Allen, as well as the Mockingjay Morning Show.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Continuing on this topic. There is no reason in the world that Minnesota cannot become a "helmet" school. It's a great academic institution on a big, big campus. It's in one of the great metropolitan cities in America. It has one of the best football heritages in NCAA history. We have an amazing corporate culture at our doorstep. We will soon have top notch facilities for the program. "Mesabi", like the iron range means sleeping giant. I guess because the iron ore is hidden and needed to be discovered. Well, the U of M may prove to be the Mesabi football program. A sleeping giant that just may be about to reawaken.

Just to help you out. The Ojibwe have their own "Bigfoot" story. His name is Sabi (pronounced "Sawbay". Thus the sleeping giant is the place where a person of pure heart can encounter Sabi.

Since UMN is run by people of evil intent, I would not expect Sabi to grace us with a visit. Perhaps if we purge the Twin snake heads who lead us we can meet Sabi. Until then, you're having a pipe dream.

May be true that population density is a factor, but back in the day MN WAS a "helmet school" dominating the Big 10 and even nationally! Last school in NCAA history to win 3 natty's in a row? 7 natty's total? I mean yeah ages ago but still... it happened before and there was less population and diversity here back then.

Yeah, but that was when football was played with a live pig. [emoji200]

How many teams can claim that at all tho? Then, now, later the Titles stand

Top Bottom