Week 8 Other Games Thread, 2020 Season

Wisconsin doesn't have a RB anywhere close to Taylor's level. Mertz looks like the real deal though.

Great now they'll end up with a star QB for the next three years with our luck.

How does OP not mention GSU vs Coastal Carolina? Its a biggy!

BTW—how many Carolina teams are ranked?
UNC, NC State, Coastal and Clemson?

yeah i'm going to go ahead and put zero stock in this WI QB performance. He's looked calm, but holy hell for an awful secondary

Oooof. Illini seems like they thought Mertz wouldn't try to throw on em.

I’m hoping Mertz looks this good because it’s Illinois.

He throws a nice ball. It's been a while since I've seen a secondary attempting to keep everything in front of them, and also letting everybody behind them. Yikes.

Looks like Bucky has a stud QB for 3 or 4 years in Mertz. Dam.
He was a big time recruit as well with offers from OSU, Alabama

At least we're still better than them in hockey or I would probably blow my brains out.

The talk of Illinois being much improved may have been premature. Their secondary is putrid. Mertz has made 3 or 4 very nice throws. The rest have been to wide open receivers off play action. Typical Wisc QB'ing. He's a good looking player though for sure. Good for Wisc, because their RB situation looks extremely average as someone else mentioned. There's very little explosion there it would appear.

The talk of Illinois being much improved may have been premature. Their secondary is putrid. Mertz has made 3 or 4 very nice throws. The rest have been to wide open receivers off play action. Typical Wisc QB'ing. He's a good looking player though for sure. Good for Wisc, because their RB situation looks extremely average as someone else mentioned. There's very little explosion there it would appear.
i mean shit, the last one was a straight drop and no one was within 7 yards of the guy

Still, 14 for 14 with 4 touchdown passes in the first half of your first college start, against a Big Ten team, is pretty impressive.

I’m hoping Mertz looks this good because it’s Illinois.
As always, the truth is likely somewhere in between. He's not as good as Illinois is making him look, but he's far better than I want him to be.

Still, 14 for 14 with 4 touchdown passes in the first half of your first college start, against a Big Ten team, is pretty impressive.
When you say Big Ten team we assume a level of competence above what Illinois is showing. Doesn't detract from Mertz, but Illinois is playing impressively bad.

Is it just me, or could that sideline reporter play George W. Bush in the movie of his life? It's uncanny.

Mertz's numbers look great....Wisconsin overall looks so-so because Illinois is straight trash this year... a lot of the success they had last year graduated. Maybe Wisconsin will be forever good and still beat us, but you can't use this game to measure their abilities..

At the very least, the WI running game looks pedestrian. Mertz looks good. But it’ll be interesting to see how the season plays out once WI plays tougher defenses against the pass.

Agree that WI running game looks definitely several notches below their usual today. Will be interesting to see if that is a theme this year.

Well, the Fighting Lovies look to be just the Lovies this year.

Well if nothing else, Wisconsin coaches are terrible at wearing masks correctly.

Their football team is looking good. I guess we will know more when we play IL.

Mertz looked great. Illinois looked terrible. Those two things may be related.

Top Bottom