Week 5 Other Games Thread

Stan

Reaction score
Conference play kicks off for most teams, that will really enhance the matchups!! Cinci vs Miami tonight.

Parity in football. Could Temple run the table? There could be some interesting undefeated teams late in the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Miami looked awful last night (well I got to the game at 20-17 Miami which is about where they stopped scoring). The ACC doesn't have anyone who can run the table (possibly Florida St again, but I doubt it). I think we'll end up with 3 teams with at least one loss and likely one with at least 2 (maybe Bama).

Miami looked awful last night (well I got to the game at 20-17 Miami which is about where they stopped scoring). The ACC doesn't have anyone who can run the table (possibly Florida St again, but I doubt it). I think we'll end up with 3 teams with at least one loss and likely one with at least 2 (maybe Bama).

I think Clemson can. Their toughest games are all at home (ND, Florida St., and Georgia Tech).

Yeah, I have always liked Clemson, but they do seem to always lose one head scratcher per year. I'll agree though, they certainly can do it.

The Unbeatens

The way I get a handle on the eventual CFP participants is to keep tabs only on the undefeated teams. Pretty much ignore the 1-loss teams until the games on the 2nd weekend of November (Nov. 14) are completed. ... the 1-loss teams must earn their way back into the conversation.

Until then, here are the 23 Power 5 unbeatens in the hunt for the CFP:

ACC (3): Clemson, Florida State, NC State

Quasi-ACC (1): Notre Dame

B1G (5): Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State

Big XII (6): Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, West Virginia

Pac 12 (3): Cal, UCLA, Utah

SEC (5): Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

The number will shrink by at least 5 this weekend, as West Virginia/Oklahoma, Ohio State/Indiana, Kansas State/Oklahoma State, Ole Miss/Florida, and Notre Dame/Clemson go head-to-head. After the potpourri of cupcakes are devoured in September (cough, cough, looking at you Baylor & much of the SEC), it's amazing how quickly the number of undefeated teams shrinks once conference play starts.

Others (5)
Houston (AAC), Memphis (AAC), Navy (AAC), Temple (AAC), Toledo (MAC)

My projected 4 going into this week (not that anyone cares): Ohio State, UCLA, Michigan St and Florida St.

Big Ten predictions
Wisc over Iowa
Gophs over NW
Nebraska over Illini
Sparty over Purdue
OSU over IU
Maryland over Michigan is my upset pick
Non con Penn state over the Cadets

Iowa v Sconnie should be a good game. Man, could you imagine Lincoln if Illinois pulls the shocker?

Love the way the B1G schedules games. Only 9 (of 13) teams playing @ 11:00 this week and 2 @ 2:30 and another 2 @ 3:00. I know the Mich. @ Maryland game was moved from the evening because of weather but couldn't they move some other game to the night slot? They managed to screw up basketball scheduling and I won't even bring up hockey. It appears they won't be happy until football is screwed up too.

Big Ten predictions
Wisc over Iowa
Gophs over NW
Nebraska over Illini
Sparty over Purdue
OSU over IU
Maryland over Michigan is my upset pick
Non con Penn state over the Cadets

Like the picks, except for Maryland.

Not calling the upset, but I think Indiana may give OSU a major scare. Just a gut feeling. Hoosiers may knock off one of the East Big Boys before the season is over.

Memphis with a Friday night win, improving to 5-0. Not sure how they can keep their HC again this off-season once the coaching carousel begins.

Go Gophers!!

Did anyone see the obvious, blatant holding on the long run to start Memphis's 3 play drive in the 4th qtr? That was incredibly awful! Guy reaches out and hooks the defenders arm right in open space to give the runner the edge. Terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Birth of a best developing at RB in B1G. True freshma LJ Scott with some serious moves and power.

Iowa destroying Wisconsin in Camp Randall although game is only 10-3. Been all Iowa all day.

10-6 Iowa with 4 minutes left in 3rd.

Hawkeyes still winning with 5 minutes left. Go Squakeyes.

Iowa has the ball with 3:16 to kill....

Top Bottom