Week 5 Other Games Thread

BYU seems to be one of those teams that is perennially overrated. They are having all kinds of trouble with Utah State tonight. As huge favorites. At home. In a night game.

BYU is ranked ahead of the Gophers.

They beat another probably overrated Baylor team. BUT.....they had a good loss by nearly 20 point to a definitely overrated Oregon team. So top 20 for them!

Surprised by that score. Wish I could watch, but not sure my mobile hotspot can keep up...

Objectively, who do we cheer for in Illinois - Wisconsin? Here are the remaining schedules after this week:

Illinois:
Home: Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan State, Purdue
Away: Nebraska, Michigan, Northwestern

Wisconsin:
Home: Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota
Away: Northwestern, Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska

For Wisconsin, I would say they could go 0-4 against MD, MN, MSU and IA, but they could also win all of those games as well.

For Illinois, who besides MI & MN is a likely loss? To me, they look like they have the easier remaining schedule, so is it bad to cheer for WI? 🤢

Objectively, who do we cheer for in Illinois - Wisconsin? Here are the remaining schedules after this week:

Illinois:

Wisconsin:

For Wisconsin, I would say they could go 0-4 against MD, MN, MSU and IA, but they could also win all of those games as well.

For Illinois, who besides MI & MN is a likely loss? To me, they look like they have the easier remaining schedule, so is it bad to cheer for WI? 🤢
Illinois. They'll lose to Michigan vs WI plays MD who folds vs good competition. The rest of the schedule is the same and the teams look roughly the same

Illinois:

Wisconsin:

My general rule of thumb in games that are remotely a tossup in terms of who I would prefer win in B1G games, is to go with the road team. That's just me, and it's certainly not etched in stone.

Illinois:

Wisconsin:

Always whoever is playing Wisconsin. And seeing as how Illinois has already lost to Indiana....outside of Northwestern and Nebraska....they might not be favored in a single one of those games. Wisconsin is still the bigger threat.

The only time it's ok to root for Wisconsin is if we know it gives us a direct benefit - i.e. if it was the last week of the season and Wisconsin beating Illinois won the west for us, then I'd allow it. This early on, F the badgers, always and forever.

Michigan at Iowa: Crazy stats about on how top 10 teams perform at Kinnick.

1-7 in last 8 for Top 10 teams at Iowa. Since 2000 only 1 top 10 team has won by more than 1 score at Iowa.
Glad we host them this year.

UCLA and Washington both 4-0 on Friday
Kentucky and Ole Miss both 4-0
NC State and Clemson both 4-0
12 off the games with ranked teams involve 1 loss or better match-ups

Etc.

Illinois:

Wisconsin:

Definitely cheer for Illinois. They've already dropped a game to Indiana. They're not a threat to win the division.

Keep an eye on Tulane.

The Green Wave has been playing very nice d this season, and I’m picking them to knock off Houston tonight.

Definitely cheer for Illinois. They've already dropped a game to Indiana. They're not a threat to win the division.

I'm inclined to agree with this. HOWEVER...

With the Gophers game with Illinois coming up much sooner than the game with the Skunks, a case could be made that Wisconsin putting an almighty beatdown on Illinois would bode well for the Gophers upcoming game; crush Illinois' will to live, so to speak. Illinois probably feeling very slighted right now, no love for a possible B1G West contender, etc; playing the disrespected card to the max.

At the end of the day, as much as I hate Wisky, it's pretty damn hard to root for that fat bastard on the Illinois sideline.

Tulane is now 4-1 after beating Houston. Hologorsen was not happy.

And ESPN continues to cut away from games to watch Judge get walked. Tonight they did it while Tulane was driving trying to tie the game with under 2 minutes left. Pathetic.

I think UCLA has the whole upper half of the Rose Bowl blocked off.

Keep an eye on Tulane.

The Green Wave has been playing very nice d this season, and I’m picking them to knock off Houston tonight.
Tulane's starting QB was injured and didn't dress for the game. Their 2nd string started and got hurt on the first drive, so the third string QB, a freshman who had thrown one pass in his career, took over for the rest of the game and ended up winning it in OT with an end zone pass. Nice win for Tulane on the road.

I think UCLA has the whole upper half of the Rose Bowl blocked off.
53,000 capacity in a 90+ stadium. Averaging 27,000.

Neither team has any defense at all. Not even remotely championship teams.

Tulane's starting QB was injured and didn't dress for the game. Their 2nd string started and got hurt on the first drive, so the third string QB, a freshman who had thrown one pass in his career, took over for the rest of the game and ended up winning it in OT with an end zone pass. Nice win for Tulane on the road.
I knew they were down to #2 when I picked them to win…Houston is trash, but that was a surprise.

Top Bottom