Week 4 Other Games Thread

Bielema is a heck of a coach. Their creativity inside the 10 yard line all game was fun to watch, wish we had that.

Glad Nebraska lost!

Go Gophers!!
When teams are evenly matched, creativity (or dumb luck) usually wins; lack of creativity is an anchor. Nebraska was a 9.5 point favorite. Iowa is a 2.5-3.0 point favorite. The Gophers can do it if they are gutsy and creative in the red zone.

Think 'Cuse underestimated Stanford
They live and die by McCord. He played great 90% of the time but had a pick six and a bad INT that resulted directly in a FG, so 10 point swing. Despite that they should have won but for the horrible D called on the last 4th down - Cuse rushed 3 but left single coverage the entire side of the field to Stanford’s NFL WR. Easy catch, game over.

Interesting.

Lots of compliments on Gopher Hole for Raiola, yet not much mention of Altmyer.

I thought Altmyer was the guy... at least, he was the guy tonight.

I suppose this is why; the 'FauxMahomes' thing...

Altmeyer looks like he’s made some great progress from last year. Very impressive tonight

I liked the announcers. I know announcers can be polarizing. I thought Fox did a good job.

Gophers tomorrow on NBC evening TV -- sold out.

Agree! It was a great game, and the announcers didn't step all over it. They let the players and the game tell the story, and didn't try to turn the spotlight on themselves. Professional!

PAC-12 After Dark getting interesting.

San Jose scores before half against Wazzu, and create a fumble, but the replay botches the call and lets Washington State keep the ball.

Interesting.

Altmyer is a 4th year, Raiola a true frosh - the compliments are mostly how good Raiola looked for his level of experience.

Bielema knows how to close out a tough, toss-up game. PJ is still trying to learn.

He's "still trying to learn"?

The Illinois -Nebraska tllt was a hard-fought, extremely close game. What was the deciding factor?

Well, when I looked at the final box score, I noticed one really large disparity:

PENALTIES...

Illinois: 3-20
Nebraska: 9-89

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Fleck has worked hard to stress avoiding penalties, and that factor has contributed to Minnesota's success. The Gophers have been, year after year, one of the least-penalized teams in college football under Fleck.

Altmyer is a 4th year, Raiola a true frosh - the compliments are mostly how good Raiola looked for his level of experience.

Oh. Good to know.

I was simply commenting on the fact that the less-heralded Illinois QB was the guy who actually made the key plays in the clutch, and the Illini won a huge game on the road in front of a hostile crowd. I feel Altmyer deserves at least some recognition. Just a little.

I will never forgive Altmeyer for coming in cold and leading the Illini on that winning drive last year. I think when he came in it was 4th and long at their own 20?

I was taking a look at the stats for the NEB & ILLINI game and thought, I hate to give Bielema credit , but I think if you asked PJ what the ideal stat line would look like, the Illini stats below would be close:

1726894687403.png
They got a very good game out of Altmyer and as you can see he was overall he was pretty efficient. Then they really cranked up their run game in the 2nd half and started pile up some yards to take this game over. I thought going into the 4th Qtr the Illini's offense was starting to physically dominate the NEB Def and by the end of the Qtr they didn't have much left for the Illini and basically got crushed in OT. In my opinion, if the Illini didn't have the passing game they get run over in the 1st half but hung in there. Then they got both phases in rolling in the 2nd half and gradually overpowered NEB. Again, got to give the fat man his respect as they executed well.

Last edited:

Interesting.

Altmyer was overlooked by a lot of people before the season. Many "experts" ranked near the bottom of the conference.

I was taking a look at the stats for the NEB & ILLINI game and thought, I hate to give Bielema credit , but I think if you asked PJ what the ideal stat line would like, the Illini stats below would be close:

View attachment 33661
They got a very good game out of Altmyer and as you can see he was overall he was pretty efficient. Then they really cranked up their run game in the 2nd half and started pile up some yards to take this game over. I thought going into the 4th Qtr the Illini's offense was starting to physically dominate the NEB Def and by the end of the Qtr they didn't have much left for the Illini and basically got crushed in OT. In my opinion, if the Illini didn't have the passing game they get run over in the 1st half but hung in there. Then they got both phases in rolling in the 2nd half and gradually overpowered NEB. Again, got to give the fat man his respect as they executed well.
I kept thinking how much Illinois O reminded me of 2019 Gophers. Lots of RPO (often wide open), grinding hard on inside zone that finally started popping in the 2nd half, rotating backs, accurate QB doing a great job from 10-25 yards, etc.

Top Bottom