Rutgers at Temple 2:00pm ESPN+
Colorado at Minnesota 3:30pm ESPN2
New Mexico State at Wisconsin 3:30pm BTN
22 Penn State at Auburn 3:30pm CBS
Toledo at 3 Ohio State 7:00pm FOX
11 Michigan State at Washington 7:30pm ABC
Nevada at Iowa 7:30pm BTN
SMU at Maryland 7:30pm FS1

Other then Penn St and Auburn and our game, not a lot to look at in the Big Ten. I suppose OU and Nebraska has early flavor. My game I'm looking forward to is Miss St at LSU. Might be a lot of reporters late to a press conference again next week, just saying.

Disagree on there not being much to see this weekend in the Big Ten. Posted in another thread about Purdue, Penn State, and Michigan State all having tough road matchups against Power 5 teams.

Purdue and Penn State are slight road favorites and #11 MSU is a 3.5 point road underdog against unranked Washington. All three games should give us a good look at 3 of our key upcoming opponents.

Disagree on there not being much to see this weekend in the Big Ten. Posted in another thread about Purdue, Penn State, and Michigan State all having tough road matchups against Power 5 teams.

Purdue and Penn State are slight road favorites and #11 MSU is a 3.5 point road underdog against unranked Washington. All three games should give us a good look at 3 of our key upcoming opponents.
WKU and SMU could also pull off an upset. And the Iowa offense may continue to be fun to watch.

WKU and SMU could also pull off an upset. And the Iowa offense may continue to be fun to watch.
Agree but those games hold less interest to me since Indiana and Maryland are not on our schedule this year. But those could definitely be close games.

As for Iowa, the conventional wisdom seems to be that even their crappy offense can be successful against Nevada. However, if Iowa continues to struggle on offense against Nevada their fans will probably lose it.

Iowa being 23 point favorites after scoring 14 points in 2 games is quite the line.
What is even crazier is I think the line started at -21 and actually went up. I don't care how bad Nevada is, it would be really hard to put any faith in Iowa putting up points on anyone right now.

What is even crazier is I think the line started at -21 and actually went up. I don't care how bad Nevada is, it would be really hard to put any faith in Iowa putting up points on anyone right now.
Nevada is bad. But I agree. Iowa's defense could create a lot of points against Nevada though.

Well fun for us at least.
I don't know man....I've watched a fair amount of their first few games and there is very little that is fun to watch when Iowa has the football.

Even seeing a rival struggle only takes you so far....eventually it stops being funny and just becomes sad. Felt the same way about Nebraska's last few games. :)

Nevada is bad. But I agree. Iowa's defense could create a lot of points against Nevada though.
That's the key right there. Nevada turned it over like 5 times against NMSU and got crushed by Incarnate Word. I can imagine Iowa's D and ST scoring twice and setting up the O with short drives on 2 or 3 more occasions...all while blanking Nevada. 24-0, 27-0, 30-3, etc. wouldn't surprise me in the least

Of interest (to me, at least):

Wisconsin is favored, at home, by 37.5 points over New Mexico State.

Now, two weeks ago Minnesota was favored, at home, by 37.5 points (give or take) over New Mexico State... and at that time more than a few people on GopherHole said that was too many points, Gophers will never score that many, and advocated for betting on Jerry Kill's team.

I wonder: does anybody think New Mexico State will cover against the Badgers, in Madison, with virtually the same spread? I'd be interested to hear opinions.

Why is MSU ranked 11 if they can’t even be favored vs an unranked team?
Gamblers know something the voters don’t.

maxresdefault.jpg

Of interest (to me, at least):

Wisconsin is favored, at home, by 37.5 points over New Mexico State.

Now, two weeks ago Minnesota was favored, at home, by 37.5 points (give or take) over New Mexico State... and at that time more than a few people on GopherHole said that was too many points, Gophers will never score that many, and advocated for betting on Jerry Kill's team.

I wonder: does anybody think New Mexico State will cover against the Badgers, in Madison, with virtually the same spread? I'd be interested to hear opinions.
To be fair the gophers opened as 38.5 point favorites. Which they did not cover and advocating betting on Jerry Kill's team was the right decision.

To be fair the gophers opened as 38.5 point favorites. Which they did not cover and advocating betting on Jerry Kill's team was the right decision.
I think most places they opened at 37.5, it moved to 38.5, so advocating betting on Kill’s team depended on what price you got. Probably was safer to advocate staying away from that one.

I think most places they opened at 37.5, it moved to 38.5, so advocating betting on Kill’s team depended on what price you got. Probably was safer to advocate staying away from that one.
I thought it opened at 38.5 and moved to 36 over time, but that might have just been one book.

Thinking same thing minus the "fun" part on watching Iowa. One of the commentators on the Big Ten Network speculated it might be Alex Padilla time in Iowa City. But I agree this will be an interesting watch to really get an assessment on Iowa's offense against what appears to be a really lousy defensive team.

I'll be curious to see if there is any uptick in attitude and discipline for Nebraska against the Sooners or if it's going to be White Flag time in Lincoln. There's usually an increase in energy after a coaching change and Nebraska does have some decent athletes, so we'll see if they can give Oklahoma any kind of game.

Some of the posts that advocated taking NMSU and the points seemed to imply it was a no-brainer, and the Gophers wouldn't come close to covering, because we're far too conservative on offense to run up the points. I would imagine that the folks who thought it would be an easy cover for Kill's team, and therefore took the points, were not feeling quite so so cocky toward the end of that game. I'll bet they were very relieved to see Minnesota go into victory formation and take some kneel-downs.

My main reason for posing the question, however, is to see if some of those same folks believe the Badgers will beat up on NMSU even worse than the Gophers did. Wisconsin, like Minnesota, is known for favoring a run-first, ball control style on offense.

Will there be similarities in outcome? Will Wisconsin be more, or less dominant than Minnesota was?

Some of the posts that advocated taking NMSU and the points seemed to imply it was a no-brainer, and the Gophers wouldn't come close to covering, because we're far too conservative on offense to run up the points. I would imagine that the folks who thought it would be an easy cover for Kill's team, and therefore took the points, were not feeling quite so so cocky toward the end of that game. I'll bet they were very relieved to see Minnesota go into victory formation and take some kneel-downs.

My main reason for posing the question, however, is to see if some of those same folks believe the Badgers will beat up on NMSU even worse than the Gophers did. Wisconsin, like Minnesota, is known for favoring a run-first, ball control style on offense.

Will there be similarities in outcome? Will Wisconsin be more, or less dominant than Minnesota was?
Perception wise, Wisconsin is probably viewed as more likely to blow out a weak team than the Gophers are. That said, I don't know that there is much Wisconsin can do against NMSU that would be more dominant than what the Gophers did by shutting them out and holding them under 100 yards.

It was understandable heading into week 1 that people would be hesitant to trust the Gophers to cover a big number in the non-conf portion of the schedule.

If I were a gambler I would be hesitant to put money on Wisconsin with a line that big based on how they played in weeks 1 and 2.

That's definitely was the case. I don't know if you can be more dominant than Minnesota was. We might have dropped a pick, but otherwise we only punted once with our 2's on the field.

Braelon Allen will probably score 3 TDs himself, I can see the Badgers also pitching a shutout and def covering/running up the score

Perception wise, Wisconsin is probably viewed as more likely to blow out a weak team than the Gophers are. That said, I don't know that there is much Wisconsin can do against NMSU that would be more dominant than what the Gophers did by shutting them out and holding them under 100 yards.

It was understandable heading into week 1 that people would be hesitant to trust the Gophers to cover a big number in the non-conf portion of the schedule.

If I were a gambler I would be hesitant to put money on Wisconsin with a line that big based on how they played in weeks 1 and 2.
which qb is starting for NMSt? If its the freshman, i'd take NMSt to cover

Top Bottom