Wednesday's Starting Line-up?

kiedro

Reaction score
With Mbakwe out, who replaces him in the starting line-up? Oto, Julian, or Elliot? I would have Julian play point and move Rodney to the 4 and Andre to the 2. I also would change the offense to have one in and 4 out like Michigan.

I'd like to see:

Eliason
Sampson
Rodney
Austin Hollins
Welch

or:

Sampson
Ingram
Rodney
Austin Hollins
Welch

Andre Ingram will likely start. But oto will get lots of time and rodney at the 4 I'm sure too.

I can't see Elliot and Ralph in the line-up together.

I'd like to see Dre Hollins at the 2.

Welch
Dre Hollins
A Hollins
Williams
Sampson

From the Barn said:
It is time to say "F" it, go small, and run, run, run.

Going to need tubby ball combined with 40 minutes of hell.

Even if it was the right thing to do (and it isn't) he can't risk it.

Should be:

Sampson (if healed) Elliason
Rodney Ingram
Aust. Hollins Oto/Coleman
Welch Armelin
Dre Hollins Mav

This is going to be a poor reboinding team so they will have to make shots and take care of the ball.

Hopes:

Welch and Dre become solid Big Ten guards before the year is over.
Rodney blossums as an inside player.
Walker returns.

At this point the expectation has to be game to game improvement such that by year end -we feel good about next year.

Rodney is going to really have to lite a fire, if he could somehow start to get things done, they have a chance. Without him rebounding is going to be tough. He needs to crash the boards like Michigan State teams generally do.

Rodney is going to really have to lite a fire, if he could somehow start to get things done, they have a chance. Without him rebounding is going to be tough. He needs to crash the boards like Michigan State teams generally do.

Could you please add Ralph to that post.

I'd like to see this group run together to start the game:

Ingram
Rodney
Austin
Welch
Dre

Dre, Austin, Welch will need to play smart and help pick up Trevor's scoring (I was thoroughly impressed by Julian's and Dre's 3-point shooting in the tourney). Tell Rodney to always be moving on offense and to look to rebound. Tell Ingram to play smart, but let the game happen, don't try to be Trevor.

VTech seems to max out at 6'8", not sure if they were measured with or without shoes on, but Rodney and Ingram should be able to guard those guys.

I think the Gophers can do it, they just need to play smart on offense, and not play "Tubby" defense. VTech has averaged 6.83 3-pointers per game this season, so I'll put the over/under at 10.

I'll be curious to see the 'pick the score vs vt' thread.

Why is everyone high on Dre to keep starting? He has shown the ability to hit some shots but he is a defensive liability and his decision making is no better than Mav.

I see us working with the following:

Sampson/Eliason
Andre Ingram/Oto
Rodney/Coleman
Austin/Armelin
Welch/Dre/Ahanmisi with Welch playing some 2 and Rodney some 4 with Armelin at the 3.

I don't even know what I would do if I were in Tubby's shoes. Do you just go 4 wings and Sampson? Throw Ingram out there to start games? I'd imagine a lineup with Welch, Dre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Rodney, and Ralph would be the best bet for getting good experience out there, and also some punch offensively. Or if he doesn't wanna tweak the whole Dre/Welch thing, then move Oto to start and try to stretch the floor more?

Why is everyone high on Dre to keep starting? He has shown the ability to hit some shots but he is a defensive liability and his decision making is no better than Mav.

Sampson/Eliason
Andre Ingram/Oto
Rodney/Coleman
Austin/Armelin
Welch/Dre/Ahanmisi with Welch playing some 2 and Rodney some 4 with Armelin at the 3.

Dre is the best shooter on the team right now. He needs to play at the 2 guard.

I like this as far as starting lineup:
Sampson III/Elliason
Oto/Ingram
Rodney/Coleman
Austin/Dre/Armelin
Dre/Welch/Mav

Leading in minutes should now be Ralph, Austin, Dre, Rodney, Welch, Oto, Armelin, with the others subsequently filling in when needed.

Sampson/Eliason
Andre Ingram/Oto
Rodney/Coleman
Austin/Armelin

Goph in Philly- As of this moment the goal of this team has to be to get better game by game. As of now, with what we have we are not real good. There is talent and of the talent Dre, while raw, is the future. At this point you have to play him through his mistakes and turn him into a better and better player. He's getting toasted on defense and he's not good at setting the offense up right now. But he's a freshman and they really don't have any decidely better options. Time to develop the future. If you play him and he still is playing like this at year end-then go out and recruit another point guard in the spring.
You play him for the same reason you play Ponder for the Vikings. For the future.

Oto should start at either the 3 or the 4 (doesn't really matter other than possibly defensive match-ups) and we need to try to stretch the floor. Sampson has to look for kick-outs cause he will likely be doubled. Rodney needs to be aggressive and slash to the basket. The PGs will likely need to do something to create some offense, drive and kick, call for ball-screens, whatever. Shooters are gonna have to be willing to pull the trigger.

Marquette had a decent season a few years ago with a non-post big guy and a bunch of guards, so it can work

Goph in Philly- As of this moment the goal of this team has to be to get better game by game. As of now, with what we have we are not real good. There is talent and of the talent Dre, while raw, is the future. At this point you have to play him through his mistakes and turn him into a better and better player. He's getting toasted on defense and he's not good at setting the offense up right now. But he's a freshman and they really don't have any decidely better options. Time to develop the future. If you play him and he still is playing like this at year end-then go out and recruit another point guard in the spring.
You play him for the same reason you play Ponder for the Vikings. For the future.

this all makes sense and the reality of the situation but "For the Future"? shouldn't this program be farther along in year 5 under Tubby?

no doubt there has been some awful luck but Purdue lost Hummel twice and still was a solid team. UNC if they lost Barnes would still be a top 10 team.

IMO losing one player no matter how good if the overall talent was better would not have turned this season into "For the Future".

This team needs to stop turning the ball over, it's easily their biggest problem. Mbakwe, Welch, Hollins, and Hollins are turnover machines. This is an odd statistic for a wing, but Rodney Williams is leading this team in assists right now with 18 and has only 4 turnovers while leading the team in steals.

Our young guards can only get better with ball security.

Lots of guards all the time. No other way at this point.

Agreed, we'd be very slow footed. As others have mentioned I expect to see a lot more 3 guard sets. I also expect to see more Chip now because, while he's not a forward, he is probably the toughest guy on our team & the most intense.

this all makes sense and the reality of the situation but "For the Future" is where this program should really be in year 5 under Tubby?

no doubt there has been some awful luck but Purdue lost Hummel twice and still was a solid team. UNC if they lost Barnes would still be a top 10 team.

IMO losing one player no matter how good if the overall talent was better would have turned this season into "For the Future".

UNC has more depth than us, imagine that!?

This team needs to stop turning the ball over, it's easily their biggest problem. Mbakwe, Welch, Hollins, and Hollins are turnover machines. This is an odd statistic for a wing, but Rodney Williams is leading this team in assists right now with 18 and has only 4 turnovers while leading the team in steals.

Our young guards can only get better with ball security.

No doubt about this one, it's leading to too many easy buckets for the other team too. Our three point defense is questionable enough without giving them leakouts and free plays in addition. Rodney's always been a good passer, that's one of his plus traits out there besides his athleticism IMO. Now if he could drive the ball with more confidence, he'd be dynamic, but I'm not counting on that part of his game blossoming right now.

this all makes sense and the reality of the situation but "For the Future"? shouldn't this program be farther along in year 5 under Tubby?

IMO losing one player no matter how good if the overall talent was better would not have turned this season into "For the Future".

Purdue also had Johnson and Moore, two very good players. Mentioning UNC makes no sense as there is no comparison. They are a top 5 program and have a roster loaded with talent.

all good ideas from guys who have probably all played or coached.

but it was an ugly showing after trevor went down.. outplayed in every area. esp guards.. men vs boys. And the D was some of the worst i have ever seen.. at any level.

big10 teams take care of the ball and shoot well... so it will be hard to run.

we'll see.

yes, some pieces are there.. AND they could come together.. but that has been true each of the past few years.

Sampson
Oseniek
Williams
Austin Hollins
Welch

Rebounding is going to be the biggest issue, if Williams can replace alot of what is lost from a rebounding perspective with Trevor gone they might be okay. Oseniek just isn't going to be a big rebounder. Ingram will get substantially more playing time.

Top Bottom