WCCO: Ex-Gophers QB Nelson Embraces New Start At East Carolina

How did Nelson not instigate it?

How did he instigate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how it matters. To me the point of "who started it" is a non-factor. It isn't like they squared off or that PN9 was defending himself. PN9 walked across the street to kick an unconscious person who was lying on the ground in the head. I'm not sure of any situation that would justify that - certainly nothing that happened on that night in Mankato.

Most don't let their kids use the "he started it" excuse - why would we OK an adult to commit a crime with that reasoning? Anyone who justifies what that self entitled spoiled brat did for ANY reason should really think harder about it.

How did he instigate it?

"Witnesses to the nightclub fight in Minnesota told investigators that Nelson shoved former Minnesota State-Mankato player Isaac Kolstad after mistaking him for a bouncer that kissed his girlfriend."

Lots of self-aggrandizing dickhead non-leader QBs have made a lot of money in the NFL, J.P. Losman being a perfect example. Maybe Nelson will too.

Not sure how it matters. To me the point of "who started it" is a non-factor. It isn't like they squared off or that PN9 was defending himself. PN9 walked across the street to kick an unconscious person who was lying on the ground in the head. I'm not sure of any situation that would justify that - certainly nothing that happened on that night in Mankato.

Most don't let their kids use the "he started it" excuse - why would we OK an adult to commit a crime with that reasoning? Anyone who justifies what that self entitled spoiled brat did for ANY reason should really think harder about it.

Nelson did not walk across any street. He was punched from behind and fell down. The guy who punched him was immediately punched from the side and knocked unconscious while Nelson was in the ground. Nelson did not see how the guy got knocked down. When Nelson got up he saw the guy on the ground and kicked him in the head. Nelson had know way of knowing the extent of the guys injury (assuming he was injured at this point). My point is if a dirty fight breaks out, which it did when the sucker punched him...all bets are off. Kids? I taught my kids not to fight or be punching bags with punching bags being worse than fighting.

"Witnesses to the nightclub fight in Minnesota told investigators that Nelson shoved former Minnesota State-Mankato player Isaac Kolstad after mistaking him for a bouncer that kissed his girlfriend."

I'll have to take your word I never heard that.

Nelson did not walk across any street. He was punched from behind and fell down. The guy who punched him was immediately punched from the side and knocked unconscious while Nelson was in the ground. Nelson did not see how the guy got knocked down. When Nelson got up he saw the guy on the ground and kicked him in the head. Nelson had know way of knowing the extent of the guys injury (assuming he was injured at this point). My point is if a dirty fight breaks out, which it did when the sucker punched him...all bets are off. Kids? I taught my kids not to fight or be punching bags with punching bags being worse than fighting.

You may want to re-watch the video SportsFan.

I was addressing your statement that he didn't cross the street to confront/kick Kolstad.

https://youtu.be/cy_9Ym6q15U

You are correct; technically it was across the street but we are talking what 20/25ft? It pretty much equals out if you consider the distance from were Nelson pushed him inside the bar versus him hitting Nelson outside the bar but again you are correct.

Correction: Nelson pushed Kolstad outside in front of the bar not inside.

Exactly. I'm still surprised that Nelson got off without any serious jail time. Once a person is no longer a threat which was clearly the case with Kolstad, you cannot hit (assault) him and claim self defense. I'm guessing hiring an expensive attorney is how Nelson avoided what would have been jail time for just about anyone else in a similar situation. Just a very bad and unfortunate situation all around,

So can't we have a little former player update without having to run through a full re-trial of the whole case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Costa Rican, that is a good write up of how Nelson ended up leaving the gophs. Seems pretty solid.

I'm curious about how Nelson will do there. I always felt he should have been the first choice ahead of Leidner but my opinion on that finally began to change during Nelson's last game as a Gopher in that bowl game. Then, when it appeared to me that he was leaving the program because he wasn't keen on competing for a starting role, Nelson's fate was sealed in my mind as an example of someone I had thought too highly of. I tend to gravitate to players that I feel are gritty competitors and are "winners" because they perform well under pressure or take over more important roles because they earn it, etc. etc. When he left the Gophers saying he wanted more of a "passing" game at the same time his backup was visually equal if not out performing him - he became damaged goods in my mind.

Of course then he ran into his fight situation and that became the focus for a long time. It will now be interesting to see if this has all combined to mature him and he can step out on the other side as the QB I thought he could be. Running from the challenge he was faced with at the U seems like a character flaw to me that will always have an impact on his game. So it will be interesting to see if he can overcome that.

What I am absolutely NOT curious about is rehashing his fight and legal issues EVERY time he is mentioned on Gopherhole. No thank you. It is ironic that this thread is about his new start and yet every time his name is mentioned the same people circle the same wagons and begin anew the great debate over his fight. It is tiresome because as usual nobody seems to change their opinions on that. There should be a sticky thread where the same people can review the same footage, legal info, and their own youth experiences to discuss Nelson's fight for the rest of time.

Schnauzer - like it or not, the fight is part of Nelson's resume. But, that resume is still being written, and nobody knows what the next chapter will be. stories of redemption always play well in the media. if Nelson has a strong year at ECU, and goes on to have a productive adult life, then maybe he did learn a lesson from the whole experience. We all have the right to live down a mistake.

who knows - maybe if Nelson has a really big year, he might get some interest from the pros. I just think its interesting - or maybe ironic - that Nelson came out of HS as the much more highly-regarded recruit - and now at least some people are talking about Leidner as a potential 1st-round draft choice. I doubt anyone on this board would have predicted this turn of events when Nelson committed to the Gophers. a lot of people felt he was the QB the program has been waiting for. Didn't happen. But, as I said, Nelson has a chance to re-write his own story. let's see if he takes advantage of the opportunity.

That's one way to spin it. There were also witnesses who added important details that you left out.

- Kolstad and his friend approached Nelson and his girlfriend, not the other way around.

- I'm not buying the story that two rival HS football players approached Nelson to "congratulate him on his career at Minnesota", just after he'd quit the team.

- By all accounts Nelson, who was drunk (0.12) and jealous, mistook Kolstad for someone else and started jawing at him.

- With Nelson in this agitated state, Kolstad, even more drunk than Nelson (0.16) went for the jugular and started insulting his girlfriend to her face. It doesn't state what the insult was but I think it's a safe bet it wasn't as harmless as "Your shoes don't match your purse".

- Nelson lost his cool and shoved Kolstad over it.

- Calmer heads prevailed and the two were separated.

- As Nelson walked away from the incident to his car, Kolstad got a run at him from behind and sucker punched him, knocking him to the ground.

- Nelson got up, ran and kicked Kolstad, who'd just sucker punched him, in the head.

I'm not defending Nelson, what he did was wrong. My position has always been that Nelson & Kolstad share responsibility for the fight 50/50. It was the initial reports made it sound like like Nelson had randomly attacked Kolstad because he was drunk & jealous, with Kolstad just being some poor sap who happened to get into Nelson's crosshairs. The truth is two drunk, jocks got into a fight outside a bar and Nelson could just as easily have been the one with brain damage if Kolstad's sucker punch had connected as he intended it to. No innocent parties.

What CR Gopher said. Nelson's the bad guy because he kicked the guy while he was down.

A fairly well known blogger once said a friend/staff member told him that after the staff changed the offense away from what Nelson signed up for, a read-option/spread, passing offense, from the shotgun, that the new, pro style, under-center, ball control offense suited Leidner's abilities better. He said the staff was split on who the better option was and there was some friction over it. His guess was the friction was between Limey the OC & Coach Z the QB Coach. One favored one player, the other favored the other. Nelson felt like the new offense didn't showcase his skills, that they'd pulled a bait 'n' switch on him by switching offenses and that the coach that mattered favored Leidner so he was odd man out, no matter how well he played. Since he wanted to sling the ball he transferred to Rutgers, when that fell through he ended up walking on a ECU, both programs that fit his skill set better. I don't see how Nelson, Leidner or the coaching staff are bad guys. The staff realized they couldn't run the offense they wanted to & the best chance to win was a ball control, grind-the-clock style. Leidner had done everything the staff had asked him to & thanks to his patience, sort of had the new offense fall into his lap. Nelson was odd man out & decided it was time to go somewhere that better fit his skills.

I can assure you that Nelson NEVER DEMANDED playing time. He's not that kind of person. The offense was horrible and as a result Limegrover and Z are not there anymore. I guess that makes Nelson pretty smart right now.

The offense was horrible and as a result Limegrover and Z are not there anymore. I guess that makes Nelson pretty smart right now.

Considering he hasn't taken a snap since 2013, uhh..........

I can assure you that Nelson NEVER DEMANDED playing time. He's not that kind of person. The offense was horrible and as a result Limegrover and Z are not there anymore. I guess that makes Nelson pretty smart right now.

Well, no, considering Rutgers' offense wasn't any better and their entire coaching staff isn't there anymore.

Phil demanded to be #1. Same as demanding playing time.

The QB plays a role in that horrible offense too, BTW.

Go to the ECU board now, they may be more accepting of your kid there.

That's one way to spin it. There were also witnesses who added important details that you left out.

- Kolstad and his friend approached Nelson and his girlfriend, not the other way around.

- I'm not buying the story that two rival HS football players approached Nelson to "congratulate him on his career at Minnesota", just after he'd quit the team.

Kaus told investigators Kolstad was being nice to Nelson, wishing him luck on his decision to leave the University of Minnesota to play quarterback for Rutgers. The argument started because Nelson mistook Kolstad for the bouncer.

"(They) came up to Phil and they're like, 'Hey, dude, best of luck at Rutgers. I hope everything works out,'" Kaus said. "But the kicker is that the bouncer that kissed her hand is half white, half black. Kolstad is half white, half black. Phil thought Kolstad was the bouncer."

When Nelson accused Kolstad of trying to hit on his girlfriend, Kolstad told Nelson he was married and wouldn't do that, Kaus said. At that point Nelson pushed Kolstad hard, which made Kolstad angry. That's when Kaus grabbed Kolstad and Thompson grabbed Nelson and took the men in different directions. Kaus and Thompson both said they tried to keep the other two men from taking the argument any further.

That's the testimony of Nick Kaus, Nelson's friend and former Mankato West teammate. Why would he lie on behalf of Kolstad?

Kaus told investigators Kolstad was being nice to Nelson, wishing him luck on his decision to leave the University of Minnesota to play quarterback for Rutgers. The argument started because Nelson mistook Kolstad for the bouncer.

"(They) came up to Phil and they're like, 'Hey, dude, best of luck at Rutgers. I hope everything works out,'" Kaus said. "But the kicker is that the bouncer that kissed her hand is half white, half black. Kolstad is half white, half black. Phil thought Kolstad was the bouncer."

When Nelson accused Kolstad of trying to hit on his girlfriend, Kolstad told Nelson he was married and wouldn't do that, Kaus said. At that point Nelson pushed Kolstad hard, which made Kolstad angry. That's when Kaus grabbed Kolstad and Thompson grabbed Nelson and took the men in different directions. Kaus and Thompson both said they tried to keep the other two men from taking the argument any further.

That's the testimony of Nick Kaus, Nelson's friend and former Mankato West teammate. Why would he lie on behalf of Kolstad?

I hadn't read that before. I cede the point that Kolstad & his group didn't approach Nelson specifically to start trouble.

http://www.startribune.com/injured-kolstad-sues-attackers-mankato-bars/395013991/

A former Minnesota State University, Mankato football player is suing the two men who attacked and gravely injured him in a street brawl in 2014, as well as two Mankato bars that served his assailants.

Isaac Kolstad was punched to the ground and kicked in the head in an attack that left him with a fractured skull and brain injuries that continue to affect his ability to speak and move. His assailants, Trevor Shelley and former Gophers starting quarterback Philip Nelson, both pleaded guilty to assault.

The civil suit, filed in Blue Earth County last week on behalf of Kolstad and his family, seeks damages from *Shelley and Nelson, as well as from the South Street Saloon and the Blue Bricks Bar in downtown Mankato for serving Nelson, who was 20 years old — too young to legally drink alcohol — at the time of the assault.

The lawsuit argues that liquor fueled the fight that changed Kolstad’s life on the night of May 11, 2014.

When Kolstad, now 26, went out that night, he was a young man with a career, a young daughter and a wife who was pregnant with their second child. Kolstad, Nelson and Shelley were standing outside a bar when the trouble started.

An intoxicated Nelson, the lawsuit argues, mistook Kolstad for a Blue Bricks bouncer who had kissed Nelson’s girlfriend earlier that evening. Nelson shoved Kolstad and Kolstad knocked Nelson to the ground.

Then Shelley — a high school classmate of Nelson’s — ran up and punched Kolstad in the head. Video surveillance cameras on the street captured the moment that Kolstad crumpled to the ground and hit his skull on the pavement. Nelson then kicked a motionless Kolstad in the head.

Kolstad was comatose and on life support for weeks and underwent months of grueling physical and occupational therapy, relearning how to walk and talk.

“He has improved from where he was” two years ago, said attorney Kenneth White, who is representing the Kolstad family. But he continues to struggle to regain what he lost to his injuries.

Kolstad’s youngest daughter was born while her father was still in a coma.

The suit asks for damages in excess of $50,000 each for Kolstad, his wife Molly and their two children, as well as his parents and siblings.

In addition to seeking damages from the bars for serving Nelson, the lawsuit says Blue Bricks was liable as well for the behavior of the bouncer who allegedly kissed Nelson’s *girlfriend.

Attorneys for the South Street Saloon, the first to file a response to the suit on behalf of the defendants, issued a categorical denial on Tuesday. It said the bar had not been negligent and its owners were not responsible for what happened to Kolstad.

The bouncer is liable for allegedly kissing the gf? You can't make this stuff up.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Top Bottom