WCCO: Ex-Gophers QB Nelson Embraces New Start At East Carolina

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

Going through it “has completely made me a better person, and I’m happy with where I am as a football player and as a human being right now,” Nelson said during media day.

Nelson walked onto the team in August 2015 and sat out that season because of the transfer. New coach Scottie Montgomery gave him both a scholarship and the starting job at quarterback this spring.

“It’s very clear who the leader of this team is,” said Montgomery, referring to Nelson. Offensive coordinator Tony Petersen called him “perfect” for how he wants the air-it-out Pirates to play.

“He can do it all. There’s nothing about Philip that doesn’t fit our offense,” he said. “He’s exactly what I would recruit every day.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/08/06/philip-nelson-east-carolina/

Go Gophers!!

Yep, when I think of PN9 the first thing that comes to mind is leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be amazing if Nelson and Leidner both get drafted?

Tony Petersen resurrected again. He was a young cat with Mason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'll be watching and rooting for Nelson

#1 and #2 qbs this year. Nelson and Leidner. That'd be peachy

I'm Glad that Phil learned it's not nice to get drunk and kick someone in the head while they're laying on the ground.

I'm Glad that Phil learned it's not nice to get drunk and kick someone in the head while they're laying on the ground.

Me too. He should be proud he's caught up to the rest of the six year olds that know better.

Me too. He should be proud he's caught up to the rest of the six year olds that know better.

I hope Phillip Nelson is a huge success at ECU and wish him the best in life.

Age 20, beer, good looking college girlfriend.... stuff happens quick, bad decisions can be made made. Should it be life defining? My thoughts are no, but there are those that will differ.

Some of you guys with your holier-than-thou act, really need to get over it. He made a mistake and he paid the price. Now move on and wish him the best moving forward.

Some of you guys with your holier-than-thou act, really need to get over it. He made a mistake and he paid the price. Now move on and wish him the best moving forward.

How about we agree to hope he doesn't re-offend.

Truth be told now that he has landed on a team with a second chance, does anyone know the real reason why he left the Gophers for Rutgers?

Why did the Gophers pick Leidner over Nelson in the end?

Truth be told now that he has landed on a team with a second chance, does anyone know the real reason why he left the Gophers for Rutgers?

Speculation on here has been that it wasn't that Leidner was picked over Nelson, it was that Nelson wanted to be the clear number one going into the next season, and Coach said it would be open competition between the two. That wasn't what Nelson wanted to hear, so he left. Don't have any first hand knowledge, just trying to summarize the threads on it from the time it happened.

Um, it wasn't a mistake, it was a crime. A mistake is wearing blue socks with black slacks. I hope he learns from his CRIME and moves on.

Shiite, that my favorite Dean Martin song and go-to karaoke song.

Nelson outright said he wanted to go to a team that was more committed to the pass. Of course with completing 50% of your passes that seems kinda silly, but he wasn't wrong that we were focused on the run.

Scuttlebutt was always that Nelson wanted it to be 100% his job (again completing 50% of your passes makes that kinda a big thing to ask for) and the Jerry & Co. said it was a competition between him and Mitch. Jerry and Co. never seemed to have taken well to player demands unless they're performing really well, that seems kinda understandable.

I get a guy needs time to develop but IMO it was always a bad sign when a dude doing a marginal job thinks the job should be his just because.

A fairly well known blogger once said a friend/staff member told him that after the staff changed the offense away from what Nelson signed up for, a read-option/spread, passing offense, from the shotgun, that the new, pro style, under-center, ball control offense suited Leidner's abilities better. He said the staff was split on who the better option was and there was some friction over it. His guess was the friction was between Limey the OC & Coach Z the QB Coach. One favored one player, the other favored the other. Nelson felt like the new offense didn't showcase his skills, that they'd pulled a bait 'n' switch on him by switching offenses and that the coach that mattered favored Leidner so he was odd man out, no matter how well he played. Since he wanted to sling the ball he transferred to Rutgers, when that fell through he ended up walking on a ECU, both programs that fit his skill set better. I don't see how Nelson, Leidner or the coaching staff are bad guys. The staff realized they couldn't run the offense they wanted to & the best chance to win was a ball control, grind-the-clock style. Leidner had done everything the staff had asked him to & thanks to his patience, sort of had the new offense fall into his lap. Nelson was odd man out & decided it was time to go somewhere that better fit his skills.

Um, it wasn't a mistake, it was a crime. A mistake is wearing blue socks with black slacks. I hope he learns from his CRIME and moves on.

Shiite, that my favorite Dean Martin song and go-to karaoke song.

So what was Kohlstad's running, sucker-punch from behind, on the smaller Nelson then? Somewhere between crime and mistake?

Good to note that there are a couple posters in here that have ties to PN9 and defend him and try to make it sound like it was more than just him thinking he was better than he was that led to his departure.

Good to note that there are a couple posters in here that have ties to PN9 and defend him and try to make it sound like it was more than just him thinking he was better than he was that led to his departure.

Who has ties to Nelson? I've stated ad nauseum that I don't even like Nelson, I think he's a spoiled brat. As a fan, I thought Nelson was slightly better than Leidner, but have nothing against Leidner & have always rooted for him too. You on the other hand, you have an obsessive and unhealthy hatred for a kid that never did anything to you. There isn't a mention of his name where you don't RACE to bash him.

"Nelson just sucked and was a bad person so he quit" sure would fit the narrative you've been trying to push for years now about him (for some reason?), but like most things, the truth is usually more complex than the simplistic, comic book-like, good vs evil narrative.

Who has ties to Nelson? I've stated ad nauseum that I don't even like Nelson, I think he's a spoiled brat. As a fan, I thought Nelson was slightly better than Leidner, but have nothing against Leidner & have always rooted for him too. You on the other hand, you have an obsessive and unhealthy hatred for a kid that never did anything to you. There isn't a mention of his name where you don't RACE to bash him.

"Nelson just sucked and was a bad person so he quit" sure would fit the narrative you've been trying to push for years now about him (for some reason?), but like most things, the truth is usually more complex than the simplistic, comic book-like, good vs evil narrative.

When PN9 was here I preferred him to ML7. My patience for him ended when he left MN and why he left MN. The incident in Mankato only confirmed we were better off without him. Hate is a strong word, I guess I would say I feel about him like I would any self entitled kid that quits when he doesn't get his way. As for the incident, I am sorry you don't agree with my decision to not let the fact he kicked an unconscious guy laying on the ground in the head go, but that is easier for my comic book-like mind to understand.

I think Nelson deserves another chance to play football. His crime was in the heat of the moment and three experts said Kolstad's injuries were not caused by his kick. A despicable act to be sure, but not an uncommon one during a bar/street fight. Hate Nelson all you want, but he didn't have a reputation for being bad guy while he was here. In fight or flight situations the body takes blood away from the brain and sends it to the muscles. This is not to excuse Nelson's actions but to maybe explain why he acted out of the ordinary.

So what was Kohlstad's running, sucker-punch from behind, on the smaller Nelson then? Somewhere between crime and mistake?

Ignoring the fact that Nelson had previously physically accosted Kolstad and falsely accused him of flirting with his girlfriend.

Agree 100%. He was not the instigator, some say he made a mistake. I say he was unfortunate. You sucker punch someone expect to get hit back.....sometimes by multiple people and when you are on the ground. Resulting in brain damage was an unfortunate accident but don't forget who started it.

Agree 100%. He was not the instigator, some say he made a mistake. I say he was unfortunate. You sucker punch someone expect to get hit back.....sometimes by multiple people and when you are on the ground. Resulting in brain damage was an unfortunate accident but don't forget who started it.

How did Nelson not instigate it?

Top Bottom