Warren suggests Divisions could be gone when USC/UCLA join

So, would this mean no conference championship game then? Or do we just take the 2 best and they would play it?

Playing any kind of championship outside of the Midwest for the Big Ten is a travesty IMO.

Football divisions will be no more, this is old news.

They were likely going away before the ridiculous USC/UCLA additions, not they're a certainty to be gone.

So, would this mean no conference championship game then? Or do we just take the 2 best and they would play it?

Playing any kind of championship outside of the Midwest for the Big Ten is a travesty IMO.
They’d do the top 2 play for the championship. It’s basically a way for them to guarantee the title game be against 2 top 10 teams.

Well that means we get 1 more year of trying to win the division if we flop this year. Was thinking this might be our last shot.

B1G hoops in LA would be terrible but expected.
For sure. I think that’s a given.
They are going to adopt a 5 locked 5 random schedule

Minnesota will play Iowa, wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska + 1 every year
Cycle through the other 10 home and home every 4 years.

This is the only way you can build a schedule that has only small chances for 3 way ties of teams that doesn’t play each other.
Also the only way USC plays penn state and Ohio state every year without having them in the same “division”

I predict:

Illinois - northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio state

Indiana - purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan state

Iowa - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, northwestern, USC

Maryland - penn state, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan

Michigan - Ohio state, Michigan state, Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers

Michigan state - Michigan, penn state, northwestern, Indiana, Minnesota

Minnesota - Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan state

Nebraska - Iowa, UCLA, USC, Minnesota, wisconsin

Northwestern - Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan state, Purdue

Ohio state - penn state, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Illinois

Penn state - Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio state,
Michigan state, USC

Purdue - Illinois, Indiana, UCLA, Rutgers, northwestern

Rutgers - penn state, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan

UCLA - Nebraska, wisconsin, USC, Purdue, Ohio State

USC - Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio State, UCLA

Wisconsin - Minnesota, Iowa, northwestern, Nebraska, UCLA

Last edited:

It's because of switching to 5 team pods.

It's because of switching to 5 team pods.
So 3 pods of 5 and one pod of 1?

If they add 4, 4 pods of 5 makes a lot of sense. But no indication they’re adding 4 more.
Play your pod every year and rotate one other pod. Defacto rotating divisions
Play everyone in conference twice every 6 years.

Pods don’t work with a 16 team schedule unless they are pods of 4. More of a boondoggle to schedule balance with 4 pods of 4 (unless you go to a 7 or 11 game schedule which isn’t happening)

This is the only way you can build a schedule that has only small chances for 3 way ties of teams that doesn’t play each other.
Also the only way USC plays penn state and Ohio state every year without having them in the same “division”

I predict:

Michigan state, USC

So go to 10 conference games?

If they want to keep divisions, they could just bring Michigan/Michigan State to the West and send Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern to the East and keep one guaranteed cross-over game to ensure Michigan/OSU still play. That might make it imbalanced to towards the West if anything.

Not a fan of ten conference games. Enjoy seeing a variety of teams and like going on the road to new places.

Damn! You read my mind. I actually mapped out this exact same format on paper last night while I had nothing to do. Each team has 5 locked foes that constitute their final five conference games every year. This would ensure rivalry games are played late in the season. Then you can rotate a home and home with the other 10 teams in the conference and play all teams in the league every 4 years. I could live with that, but I’d also like to see a rule where teams could only schedule one FCS foe for one of the 2 non-conference games.

I love Big Ten games! Ten BT games would be amazing! College football is going to need to be the cash cow that does more to support all the other sports sponsored by the NCAA… mens’ and womens’ sports programs that big time conferences crave.

Look at the super conferences being created for the sole purpose of raising the revenues needed to support all the stadiums, arenas, fields, travel budgets, coaching salaries, coaching buy outs, athletic directors, tutors, compliance departments, recruiting budgets, etc demanded by the big time networks, conference commissioners and people who have created huge revenue streams for the big time conference member schools.

Amazon, Netflix, Tesla, brewing companies, sponsors of all kinds are looking to sell us with their sponsorship of big time college football. ESPN, Draft Kings, sports gambling, gaming and on line betting are all in on sponsoring the NFL/NBA farm system NCAA “Big Dance…National College Playoff Championship Series…” as it expands.

I love Big Ten football. Ten conference games is just the beginning! Giving up games with the likes of New Mexico State, et al is given up for the revenue generated by bringing USC, Notre Dame, UCLA and other potential traditional powers into the Big Ten.

NIL, more players’ rights and the portal transfer rules are all happening because there is SO much money generated by the NCAA on steroid giant money machine that was not being collected by a Big Ten conference that consisted of the teams that made up the Big Ten in 1960. The same is true in the SEC.

But, I always have wanted the Big Ten to play virtually all conference games. Big Time College football can no longer afford a trickle down system of playing non-conference games to help fund the sports teams in lower divisions and conferences.

Beat the stinking Illini, Gopher!

Eliminating divisions is a desperate loser’s move.

Lol. Hes been nothing short of brilliant so far.
What gives you that idea? Also what do you have to back that up? Warren has been atrocious since the day he came, from the Covid handling, losing out on Texas / OU, and once did, sat on his hands until USC fell in his lap and he was forced to act. He has done B1G no favors

I predict:

Michigan state, USC

Don't let Corn Nation see that schedule, he would lose his mind. A locked in 0-5 every year.

What gives you that idea? Also what do you have to back that up? Warren has been atrocious since the day he came, from the Covid handling, losing out on Texas / OU, and once did, sat on his hands until USC fell in his lap and he was forced to act. He has done B1G no favors
He has created one of the 2 super conferences in the country.

Adding USC and UCLA to the West (and moving the boilers to the East) is the perfect way to counteract the fact that Wisconsin and Nebraska have slowly deteriorated over the last decade from the from the perennial contenders they were expected to be back in 2014.

UCLA usually isn’t THAT good
And Iowa post Ferentz may look different for better or for worse
Will there be an Iowa post-Ferentz? I always imagined the head coaching job would be passed down from generation to generation like the kings of yore, until one day Ferentz’s great great grandson is killed in an uprising of the corn farming serfs.

We can discuss the Covid handling, but "losing out on Texas/OU?" LOL Texas we would have taken, they just wouldn't join without OU. And there is no chance B1G would have or should have taken OU. That was a good decision. And I don't think he was "forced" to act on USC. My guess is this has been in discussion for a long time and the timing just became right for USC and B1G. Making the B1G the most powerful entity in college sports is not a favor? And before you mention anything about the SEC, keep in mind they are currently a regional conference with limited options to change that. B1G is now a national conf, can grow more if it wants, and keep most college athletics decisions within their control. They can become the defacto NCAA. They have provided security for all the B1G schools. Warren has done many favors for the conference. Many more positives than negatives.

Will there be an Iowa post-Ferentz? I always imagined the head coaching job would be passed down from generation to generation like the kings of yore, until one day Ferentz’s great great grandson is killed in an uprising of the corn farming serfs.
In 1998 it was...will there be an Iowa post-Fry? Gophers got a close win in Iowa City in 1999. Haven't won at Kinnick since.

Top Bottom