Warren suggests Divisions could be gone when USC/UCLA join

Wow, this thread took a sharp turn.

Does fortune still favor the brave or whatever Matt Damon and Tom Brady were spewing the last Super Bowl?

Wow, this thread took a sharp turn.

Does fortune still favor the brave or whatever Matt Damon and Tom Brady were spewing the last Super Bowl?
I am curious to watch superbowl commercials this year

I did see an article the other day about how Iowa guy doesn’t see the Warren departure changing up football scheduling much. Made it sound settled

I am curious to watch superbowl commercials this year

I did see an article the other day about how Iowa guy doesn’t see the Warren departure changing up football scheduling much. Made it sound settled
Agree on the SB ads, I am curious as well.

As for the Iowa guy, yes I posted the Athletic's take on the situation a few pages ago which is what resurrected this thread.

I never would have guessed at the unintended consequence of the shift in thread topic. No issue with it, just astonished.

I'll never understand the need for locking in more than 2 protected rivals. For example if it were:

Minn: Iowa - Wisc - Mich
Wisc: Minn - Iowa - UCLA
Mich: Ohio St - Mich St - Minn
UCLA: USC - Mary - Wisc

Why couldn't Minn swap out Mich for UCLA once in 4 years with Wisc?

I may have a firmer grasp on crypto.

Agree on the SB ads, I am curious as well.

As for the Iowa guy, yes I posted the Athletic's take on the situation a few pages ago which is what resurrected this thread.

I never would have guessed at the unintended consequence of the shift in thread topic. No issue with it, just astonished.

I'll never understand the need for locking in more than 2 protected rivals. For example if it were:

I may have a firmer grasp on crypto.
I am trying to think of who wants 3
I have to think if it’s 3 it isn’t because 3 is good for everyone. It’s because 3 is good for someone.

Iowa? - Nebraska, Mn, WI?

I would think wisconsin might prefer northwestern to Iowa as a rival.

9 game schedule. 15 opponents.
Lock 3. 12 left. 6 games left. Play every other team home and home over 2 4 years. If they lock 3 it’s simply because it’s easier to schedule than lock 2.

If it is 3 lock…for the gophers I prefer 1) Nebraska, 2) Purdue, 3) northwestern, 4) anyone else
Michigan means nothing to me. With a bunch of friends in Maryland and reasons I’m in New York. I honestly prefer Maryland and Rutgers to Michigan.

Last edited:

I am trying to think of who wants 3
I have to think if it’s 3 it isn’t because 3 is good for everyone. It’s because 3 is good for someone.

Iowa? - Nebraska, Mn, WI?

I would think wisconsin might prefer northwestern to Iowa as a rival.

9 game schedule. 15 opponents.
Lock 3. 12 left. 6 games left. Play every other team home and home over 2 4 years. If they lock 3 it’s simply because it’s easier to schedule than lock 2.

If it is 3 lock…for the gophers I prefer 1) Nebraska, 2) Purdue, 3) northwestern, 4) anyone else
Michigan means nothing to me. With a bunch of friends in Maryland and reasons I’m in New York. I honestly prefer Maryland and Rutgers to Michigan.
I think you are right, Iowa is the only school with a strong desire to have 3 locked in rivals (Wisc-Minn-Neb). Even that might be to ensure Neb's only border battle remains intact.

The Athletic article suggested the 3 teams locked in for everyone else (whether or not the schools were truly rivals) proposal was purely to make scheduling easier. It would create a 6 year cycle ensuring each team would make at least 1 visit within 4 years.

That's where I am lost.

From what I gather Minn's 3rd team could just as easily be someone other than Mich (ie Rut, UCLA, whomever).

The locked in teams could switch in 6 years. Of course, the number of Big 10 teams could change by then as well, rendering the whole schedule model moot.

If you have 16 teams in the conference and 9 conference games:

i) with 3 locked in yearly games, you have 6 remaining conf games and 12 remaining conf teams.
As clean as it gets. You play six one year, and the other six the other year. You get to all 12 stadiums every four years.

ii) with 2 locked in yearly games, you have 7 remaining conf games and 13 remaining conf teams.
As messy as it gets. Nothing divides evenly. You play each of the 13 teams 7 times in 13 years.

It's going to be 3. Go ahead and put it in stone.

And I really hope that one of them is not Michigan. Give me Neb, UCLA, or even USC yearly.

We'll play Michigan every other year, and be in Ann Arbor every four years.

If you have 16 teams in the conference and 9 conference games:

i) with 3 locked in yearly games, you have 6 remaining conf games and 12 remaining conf teams.
As clean as it gets. You play six one year, and the other six the other year. You get to all 12 stadiums every four years.

ii) with 2 locked in yearly games, you have 7 remaining conf games and 13 remaining conf teams.
As messy as it gets. Nothing divides evenly. You play each of the 13 teams 7 times in 13 years.
In point i) why can't in 1 year a yearly opponent be flipped with one of the other 6 not scheduled to play?

That way in a 4 year cycle it would be:

2 teams - all 4 years
2 teams - 3 years
11 teams - 2 years

Doesn't that still work out to 36 games? Maybe there's some other intended consequence I'm just not grasping. Benefit would be lessoning the sting of whomever draws Michigan, Ohio St, USC, or Penn St when there really isn't a natural rivalry.

In point i) why can't in 1 year a yearly opponent be flipped with one of the other 6 not scheduled to play?

That way in a 4 year cycle it would be:

2 teams - all 4 years
2 teams - 3 years
11 teams - 2 years

Doesn't that still work out to 36 games? Maybe there's some other intended consequence I'm just not grasping. Benefit would be lessoning the sting of whomever draws Michigan, Ohio St, USC, or Penn St when there really isn't a natural rivalry.
I'm sure what you're proposing is mathematically possible, as well as a whole bunch of other scenarios where it isn't so rigid of just having an "every year" subset and "cycle evenly among the rest".

I just don't think they will be willing, or see any necessity, to take on the additional complexity of figuring the schedule out like that.

Nothing wrong with your idea in principle.

Top Bottom