Visit with Howard transfer G Elijah Hawkins

Even more impressive is CBJ apparently hadn't told Hawkins about his plan either, as is evidenced by the fact the Gophers weren't on the contact list on April 27th. But it's tough to get Utah State off the scent. Very resilient.
It seems obvious that CBJ wanted Brown, so he got him in first. When Brown went elsewhere he moved to Hawkins. That's the difficulty of this thing. If you don't go all in on a guy you need then you risk losing the next choice. Let's hope we get Hawkins and maybe he even ends up being a better fit than Brown. Brown had the defensive prowess on his resume, it looks like Hawkins may be a little different with perhaps more speed and ability to create on offense. Not sure.

It seems obvious that CBJ wanted Brown, so he got him in first. When Brown went elsewhere he moved to Hawkins. That's the difficulty of this thing. If you don't go all in on a guy you need then you risk losing the next choice. Let's hope we get Hawkins and maybe he even ends up being a better fit than Brown. Brown had the defensive prowess on his resume, it looks like Hawkins may be a little different with perhaps more speed and ability to create on offense. Not sure.

Yeah, agreed. I thought the original comment that I responded to was pretty funny. So I was piggy-backing on that one. None of us know for sure who would be a better fit, teammate, player, etc. I also acknowledge CBJ needs to evaluate who he think he can land, determine priorities, and have fall back options. It would appear Hawkins was a fall back option to Brown but that doesn't necessarily mean he would be a worse player on this team. We all agree CBJ could use another PG.

If you're 5'11" and play in the B10...you better be a Fuc***g stud - this guy doesn't seem like a stud, just saying.

Side-Note: The KenPom average of his conference was 271, and it looks like these were his conference averages...

12.8 pts
4 TOs
1.8 STs
6 Asts
3.7 REBs
74% FT
47.2 3pt %
44.3% 2pt %

This should only excite people who people who know that this guy didn't do much is a very bad league, but realize we need some ball handling...so he is a guard and we need guards... but he will get abused on defense.

If you're 5'11" and play in the B10...you better be a Fuc***g stud - this guy doesn't seem like a stud, just saying.

Side-Note: The KenPom average of his conference was 271, and it looks like these were his conference averages...

12.8 pts
4 TOs
1.8 STs
6 Asts
3.7 REBs
74% FT
47.2 3pt %
44.3% 2pt %

This should only excite people who people who know that this guy didn't do much is a very bad league, but realize we need some ball handling...so he is a guard and we need guards... but he will get abused on defense.
Well you worked as hard as possible to be negative there. You may be right that he doesn't cut it in the Big Ten- we'll see if we get him. However, to say that this guy didn't do much in a bad league is pretty silly.

12.8 pts, 6 assists, 1.7 steals, 47.2% 3 point shooting are all GREAT stats for a PG. The turnovers are bad and would have to be fixed.

12.8 pts
4 TOs
1.8 STs
6 Asts
3.7 REBs
74% FT
47.2 3pt %
44.3% 2pt %

I am very confident that - he has heard such praise as you are giving him, his entire life. As for him not being a stud - I would agree, which still makes him a potential nice addition with the rest of our Star Studded Cast. I will take a kid with those numbers and has played his whole life with a chip on his shoulder... any day of the week.

I am very confident that - he has heard such praise as you are giving him, his entire life. As for him not being a stud - I would agree, which still makes him a potential nice addition with the rest of our Star Studded Cast. I will take a kid with those numbers and has played his whole life with a chip on his shoulder... any day of the week.
Agreed. The fact that he shot 3.4 free throws a game isn't great, and neither are his turnover numbers, but to have some quickness to be able to get the ball up the court and break a press for some easier baskets would be refreshing after last year's slogging the ball up the court. We still need someone who can penetrate and dish. That doesn't look like Mitchell's strength either. But if Hawkins signed you'd have 2 guards who shot 40% or better last year on 3s-that's OK.

At this point, can you afford to be too picky?

Agreed. The fact that he shot 3.4 free throws a game isn't great, and neither are his turnover numbers, but to have some quickness to be able to get the ball up the court and break a press for some easier baskets would be refreshing after last year's slogging the ball up the court. We still need someone who can penetrate and dish. That doesn't look like Mitchell's strength either. But if Hawkins signed you'd have 2 guards who shot 40% or better last year on 3s-that's OK.

At this point, can you afford to be too picky?
Mitchell/Hawkins is way better than Cooper/anyone we had on the roster. Not overjoyed but Mitchell/Hawkins/Carrington/Christie is passable at this point.

Mitchell/Hawkins is way better than Cooper/anyone we had on the roster. Not overjoyed but Mitchell/Hawkins/Carrington/Christie is passable at this point.
It would be even better if we can get Hawkins plus a good wing scorer.

12.8 pts
4 TOs
1.8 STs
6 Asts
3.7 REBs
74% FT
47.2 3pt %
44.3% 2pt %

The turnovers are the only thing that is a cause of concern. He's a PG, if his scoring average was any higher that would be a concern to me. I wouldn't want a PG that scores anymore than that. I think you want a facilitator that scores if he is left alone and doesn't hog the ball.

The turnovers are the only thing that is a cause of concern. He's a PG, if his scoring average was any higher that would be a concern to me. I wouldn't want a PG that scores anymore than that. I think you want a facilitator that scores if he is left alone and doesn't hog the ball.
Sorry to disappoint, but he had a higher usage rate than anyone on the Gophers last year (meaning the percent of possessions he either took a shot or turned it over).

I don’t know about dismissing a point guard because he scores too much. The college version of Trae Young or Steph Curry would work for me. I do think you see a lot less of the old school point guard and more teams with multiple facilitators.

Betts is a 3. Garcia, Payne, and Betts will be one heck of a starting front court with depth for rotation. Betts is the same size as Fox. 6’8” and 210. A 4 star 🌟out of HS ranked 87th nationally. A top 100 recruit. A year in the system and strength and conditioning. He tore up the Colorado scene big time. Straight A student. Smart as a whip. Father and brother played college ball. Easily projects All B1G Freshmen team or more.

Betts is a 3. Garcia, Payne, and Betts will be one heck of a starting front court with depth for rotation. Betts is the same size as Fox. 6’8” and 210. A 4 star 🌟out of HS ranked 87th nationally. A top 100 recruit. A year in the system and strength and conditioning. He tore up the Colorado scene big time. Straight A student. Smart as a whip. Father and brother played college ball. Easily projects All B1G Freshmen team or more.
I like Betts' game quite a bit. Nothing has changed my opinion that I liked him as much as I liked Nolan Winter. I've just seen absolutely nothing in his game to suggest he should be playing the wing.

Playing a stretch 4 at the 3 because he can shoot is a horrible move that bad coaches make on occasion (you're seeing it less and less because it's been such a horrible idea). They often go from being + shooters, to - shooters because they have less time to get their shot off, they cannot create for their teammates, and they have a tough time chasing around wings on defense. We saw it last year with Battle and it would be doing a gigantic disservice to Betts if this is our plan going forward.

Top Bottom