Visit with Howard transfer G Elijah Hawkins

The tweet confused me. I read it as he was a freshman this year. He was a sophomore on a tournament team in 2022-2023, and his stats are nearly identical to his freshman year, although his fg% (especially three pt%) improved considerably this year.

He averaged four turnovers a game which is a bit concerning for a true PG. He would need to reign that in considerably. He also averaged nearly two steals a game.

It would be a pretty solid get this late in the game. We need another PG desperately; this guy appears to be active and does many things well. In his last game against Kansas in the tourney, he has 12 pt/8 assists/7 turnovers.

I think the turn overs come from playing fast with reckless abandon. Does sitting him down for that make for a bad attitude. Depends on the kid.

Better than Samuels I think. With multi years of eligibility where does he fit with Asuma?
Way better than Samuels. Hawkins, Mitchell, Carrington and then Asuma can provides different combos and enough rest for aggressive defense. Use them all! Use them a lot. Different players have different hot nights. But give them all plenty of minutes. Or portal in- portal out.

The tweet confused me. I read it as he was a freshman this year. He was a sophomore on a tournament team in 2022-2023, and his stats are nearly identical to his freshman year, although his fg% (especially three pt%) improved considerably this year.

He averaged four turnovers a game which is a bit concerning for a true PG. He would need to reign that in considerably. He also averaged nearly two steals a game.

It would be a pretty solid get this late in the game. We need another PG desperately; this guy appears to be active and does many things well. In his last game against Kansas in the tourney, he has 12 pt/8 assists/7 turnovers.
Like may kids before - he certainly would be a very solid addition. Turnovers - still always amount to a missed position. However, the type of turnover(s) for me is important. Like I said - I 100% realize the end result is the same. Is it a selfish forced turnover, terrible decision maker, almost always during a fast break... They are never good - but knowing how/why they are made - allows you to know if it is truly problematic.

Like may kids before - he certainly would be a very solid addition. Turnovers - still always amount to a missed position. However, the type of turnover(s) for me is important. Like I said - I 100% realize the end result is the same. Is it a selfish forced turnover, terrible decision maker, almost always during a fast break... They are never good - but knowing how/why they are made - allows you to know if it is truly problematic.
It can sometimes be whether his teammates are ready for the pass, too. Hard to evaluate at that level of basketball.

Agreed, this guy is intriguing, and if he were to sign we hope he can stay in front of people on defense. And shooting 46.6% on 116 3pt shots taken? That is impressive, I don't care what conference he's from. He'd be a good get at this stage..

Yeah, that’s why he went after Brown originally. Probably told Brown that Hawkins, was in fact, the first choice.
Holy smokes. That is some real portal chess playing.

Even more impressive is CBJ apparently hadn't told Hawkins about his plan either, as is evidenced by the fact the Gophers weren't on the contact list on April 27th. But it's tough to get Utah State off the scent. Very resilient.

Sounds like he’d be a solid get . A lot of schools involved which will make it tough. Believe we can sell major minutes in the rotation to him .
Considering he’s been in the portal a month, and he hasn’t committed to any of those contact schools.. AND he’s visiting here even after contacting late I think we may have a minuscule chance!

Even more impressive is CBJ apparently hadn't told Hawkins about his plan either, as is evidenced by the fact the Gophers weren't on the contact list on April 27th. But it's tough to get Utah State off the scent. Very resilient.
actually, that is sort of impressive. But just sort of…

Top Bottom