VCU's Norwood Teague Finalist for AD

I tried the Pizza Ranch fried chicken this weekend and it was pretty good.

he should also tell him that he will see a disgustingly fat, jabba-the-hut looking blob named pat reusse trying to make smart ass quips from the crowd. tell teague that he should just ignore all of his questions, throw him a bucket of fried chicken and move onto the next reporter.

Hutt is spelled with two T's. And Jabba did occasionally cut Han Solo some slack. When has Reusse ever given the U a break? It's unfair to the alien crime lord to compare him to fat Pat.

OK, so football is the problem at Minnesota and football is the fix. So you hire a new AD who has never been responsible for a major football program. (Gopher football fans, you have no chance now!) Next you want a fund raiser? So you hire a new AD with absolutely no ties to Minnesota or the region. This is insanity. Thanks AGAIN Mary Jo Kane for delivering another minor league AD.

OK, so football is the problem at Minnesota and football is the fix. So you hire a new AD who has never been responsible for a major football program. (Gopher football fans, you have no chance now!) Next you want a fund raiser? So you hire a new AD with absolutely no ties to Minnesota or the region. This is insanity. Thanks AGAIN Mary Jo Kane for delivering another minor league AD.

They certainly could've done worse I guess. Not sure why folks are surprised. Just like Jerry Kill, this is the best they could do. It's not like high profile coaches and AD candidates are beating down the door to work at the U. It is what it is. Kaler/Maturi are playing the hand they were dealt.....

I'll bite. You're trolling or you never bothered to read the guy's bio. Fundraising prowess has NOTHING to do with his ties to MN. This guy increased VCU's donations by 110% during his time there. He spearheaded their practice facility fundraising. This guy knows how to raise money.

As for the football canard, could you point out any actual reasons why this is a concern? Something that he will or could be expected to deal with in the coming years that his lack of direct full AD leadership over a FB team would have improved?

Shama weighs in:

Norwood Teague is the only finalist for the Gophers athletic director position and is meeting with the search committee this morning. During the interview process he’s encountered many questions but the truth is his effectiveness as Minnesota’s athletic director will come down to this:

How effective will Teague be in hiring and firing coaches?

The best coaches build winning programs. Winning sells tickets, private suites, signage and increases donations. It also builds brand awareness and a sparkling image.

As with any skill, some individuals are better at identifying the right hires than others. For decades now the Gophers have often tripped up trying to hire the right athletic directors, and also the best coaches in the high visibility sports of football and basketball. Minnesota fans have only to look across the border to see where spot-on hires in Wisconsin Badgers athletics have made a night and day difference.

Teague, who has been the athletic director at Virginia Commonwealth University since 2006, has a strong background in business including marketing. Those skills no doubt attracted University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler and so, too, did VCU’s basketball reputation.

Teague hired Shaka Smart and he’s turned VCU into a national basketball success story. If Teague can consistently show hiring expertise at Minnesota he will ensure a legacy that will place him at the top among the school’s athletic directors since World War II.

Kaler had told Sports Headliners on Saturday the announcement of the new athletic director could come within days. Yesterday the University released a statement saying Teague was the only finalist. It seems likely a news conference will be held soon confirming the official hiring of Teague whose name has been associated with other athletic director openings around the country.

A search to find a new athletic director was announced on February 21. The Parker Executive Search firm from Atlanta has been working with Kaler and University search committee volunteers. “It’s a good pool (of candidates) and I think we’ll get a great athletic director,” Kaler said on Saturday.

Kaler said he’s been committed to receiving input regarding the athletic director position. “We’ve spent a lot of time listening to the community about the features they want in the next A.D. and I think the person we hire will match those qualities,” he said. “I expect the community will reach out and embrace that person. I think people want success in Gopher athletics as much as we do and we’re gonna work together to make that happen.”

The president confirmed on Saturday that talks are ongoing regarding a contract extension for basketball coach Tubby Smith but no deal will be finalized without communications involving the new athletic director. “I am not going to do anything with Tubby and then hand it to the new A.D. They’ll (the athletic director) have input on it.”

Go Gophers!!

No, insanity would be hiring a person from the area, with ties to Wisconsin, who extends when they should fire, builds a boathouse instead of baseball field and the list goes on and on. This will prove to be a great hire. The AD is a CEO and this guy would have succeeded at any place he ended up.

No, insanity would be hiring a person from the area, with ties to Wisconsin, who extends when they should fire, builds a boathouse instead of baseball field and the list goes on and on. This will prove to be a great hire. The AD is a CEO and this guy would have succeeded at any place he ended up.

well played sir, well played. +1

So says another expert. :banghead:

FYI, okobojiblu is a major troll on this board. I already have him ignore listed form last year. Do the same.

I'm cautiously optimistic here with Norwood. He fits the energetic up and comer mold, seems to be a leader people want to follow, has business background etc.
The lack of football in his resume' is somewhat concerning, but from checking into VCU type websites it appears he had been hoping to get a football program started there, it may have even been a reason for him moving on, besides the pay, and prestige raise.

Bottom line he seems like a good fundraiser and business mind, has made grand slam coaching hires, and has taken risks that have paid off which will be a nice change of pace from our spineless current situation of an AD.

Also, he's not going to be firing/hiring a football coach for a few years, he may have to be hiring a basketball coach.

He's not going to need to upgrade the football facilities in a major way for a while, he will have to for the basketball facilities. Even possibly addressing what to do with The Barn(blasphemy, I know but it needs renovation/replacement at some point).

Right away he'll probably address the business side of the football/hockey operations, the basketball program in general, and allow Lucia/Kill to run their ship as is for awhile until he observes enough to make an informed decision on those programs' futures.

I'm looking forward to his presser and what type of specific vision/goals he sets for the program out of the gates.

The lack of football in his resume' is somewhat concerning,

Why? I don't mean this as a dig. I'm honestly interested in hearing some explanations why this would be of concern to folks. As you note after this statement, he shouldn't have to hire a FB coach any time soon, the FB facilities are pretty much set (and what improvements need making are of the practice field variety which is solely a fundraising thing from the AD perspective), and the business side of football (marketing, etc) should be universal to what he's done before. Yet folks (not just you, it's pretty much every media member and many other sources) keep bringing it up like it might matter.

well, you have fun in your continuing quest of looking for pathetically lame tom powers blessing and acceptance.

it seems to me that it is the people who are offended by power's lame joke that are looking for acceptance.

i don't know who tom powers is, but i assume that he is a national guy. the simple fact is that this is how the rest of the country sees the gophers. we are left with two reactions. get offended as if the world owes us something, or get pissed at those people who have enabled mediocrity for the past half decade -- one of whom is still getting paid by the athletic department and will be an advisor to the new AD.

Maybe it's due to initial reaction, but even VCU fans think Minnesota is a step down from VCU. Yikes

Maybe it's due to initial reaction, but even VCU fans think Minnesota is a step down from VCU. Yikes

In other news, many VCU fans are idiots.

If athletic department prestige was determined by the past two year's NCAA men's basketball tournament results, they'd be right. Fortunately, it's not. VCU (~$20m athletic budget) is a far cry from Minnesota (~$80m athletic budget), and these fans are idiots.

VCU (~$20m athletic budget) is a far cry from Minnesota (~$80m athletic budget), and these fans are idiots.

Plus we are a BCS school, are part of a conference with it's own TV network, etc, etc. Some of these fans wondered out loud why he wouldn't have pursued a Big East job instead. Many of them have basketball on the brain down there and don't know enough to see the bigger picture.

I guess you guys are right. They're the typical "maybe he likes cold weather" type. I wish we could shed that stereotype.

I guess you guys are right. They're the typical "maybe he likes cold weather" type. I wish we could shed that stereotype.

That one will never go away. We could be a football powerhouse for a decade and that would still be the stereotype.

That one will never go away. We could be a football powerhouse for a decade and that would still be the stereotype.

Whenever a prospect receives an offer, I wonder how many just scoff at it due to the "it's always cold" mindset. I suspect it would happen a lot less now due to the way Kill recruits.

Per Grandpa Sports.....

@SidHartman
Norwood Teague told U AD search committee today he turned down opportunities at Miami, UConn, alma mater UNC because he wanted Big Ten job.

He sounds like a money guy rather than a football guy (premium seating gets larger?). I'm surprised no one with UM ties was close.

Diamond Jim Delaney must have approved. Diamond Jim will be considered a Big Ten legend for years to come.

Why? I don't mean this as a dig. I'm honestly interested in hearing some explanations why this would be of concern to folks. As you note after this statement, he shouldn't have to hire a FB coach any time soon, the FB facilities are pretty much set (and what improvements need making are of the practice field variety which is solely a fundraising thing from the AD perspective), and the business side of football (marketing, etc) should be universal to what he's done before. Yet folks (not just you, it's pretty much every media member and many other sources) keep bringing it up like it might matter.

I have no doubt being from UNC and as an AD at VCU he knows his bball. None of the programs he's been at have had great football programs.
It's not a requirement to be a great football AD, but it seems to me that a guy who's been through top programs would have soaked up and learned what it takes to succeed in that sport in today's college football world.
What I want from this AD hire most of all is to lift the football program from below average to good, and on the way to building towards great.
That will likely mean hitting on the next football coaching hire after Kill, whether that be in 4 years or 15.
His age, and bold hirings in bball at VCU do lead me to think he can handle it though, there's just no track record.

I have no doubt being from UNC and as an AD at VCU he knows his bball. None of the programs he's been at have had great football programs.
It's not a requirement to be a great football AD, but it seems to me that a guy who's been through top programs would have soaked up and learned what it takes to succeed in that sport in today's college football world.
What I want from this AD hire most of all is to lift the football program from below average to good, and on the way to building towards great.
That will likely mean hitting on the next football coaching hire after Kill, whether that be in 4 years or 15.
His age, and bold hirings in bball at VCU do lead me to think he can handle it though, there's just no track record.
There is a reason he was offered the job at Miami:
Ma8Dp.png

Top Bottom