Utah transfer Both Gach commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Richard Pitino capped off a strong spring recruiting period with his biggest move yet. Utah transfer Both Gach committed to the Gophers on Monday.

Gach, an Austin, Minn. native, brings much-needed experience to Minnesota’s backcourt. The 6-foot-7 guard can handle the ball or play on the wing. His versatility, athleticism and shooting ability will make an instant impact in the team’s rotation.

Last year, the Gophers struggled in transition. Gach was a weapon in this area and occasionally popped trailing threes. He averaged 10.7 points per game and shot 39.7 percent for Utah. When Gach handled the basketball, he made dynamic plays at the rim. I expect him to play the same type of role Amir Coffey did. Like Coffey, Gach can threaten teams off the wing by cutting and coming downhill off the dribble. If foul trouble or injuries hit, he also has the skills to handle the basketball.

Gach will play a large role in Minnesota’s offensive system. He perfectly complements Gabe Kalscheur, Marcus Carr and Tre' Williams in the backcourt. The addition of Gach also allows the Gophers to slowly ease Jamal Mashburn Jr. into the rotation.

Gach originally declared for the NBA Draft, but is now transferring instead. He also hired an attorney to help secure a waiver for immediate eligibility, according to KSTP’s Darren Wolfson.

If Gach can play right away, the Gophers' starting lineup just improved significantly.

Last edited:

And now we wait for the NCAA waiver committee....

I really despise this type of transfer recruiting but this is shaping up to be an exciting team.

man on paper this team looks really solid!

lets get those waivers and get this thing going!

Gach waiver is a done deal...Robbins is a very interesting case.

What are the odds of getting two good spins in a row from the NCAA's Wheel of Random Decisions?
Covid is supposed to dictate leniency.

Then again, the guidelines update had no resistance until suddenly it did, and was sacked.

Well when your coach can't bring in solid classes from HS you get players you'll have one or two years...
Blue bloods win with players they'll have for one or two years. Hopefully our guys that we'll have for one or two years will be fine since they're a couple years more experienced and physically mature.

Blue bloods win with players they'll have for one or two years. Hopefully our guys that we'll have for one or two years will be fine since they're a couple years more experienced and physically mature.
Our 2016-17 team had a bunch of newcomers as well. Springs, Coffey, and Lynch were all big contributors, granted Lynch had been with the team sitting for one year already.

We are seeing this more and more for most programs. The transfer rules make it impossible for any team to have any sort of continuity (the only exceptions being any team built follows).
Most teams do not win conference titles, get to final 4's, win national titles. UVA takes transfers. Braxton Key transferred in and grabbed 10 rebounds in the national title victory. Anthony Gill transferred in and won two ACC titles, they just took a transfer now, Murphy who actually requested a sit out so he could be part of what they do. Plus they got Hauser , he will play this year as possibly the best transfer anyone got. Potter was a huge part of UW winning the conference last year. Nova does not do it much, they have been burned by it. Hoiberg did it really big but still won nothing.

I'll take a guy who had his name in the NBA draft earlier this year (yes I know he was a long shot to actually get drafted) and played for a power 5 school. Good get at this point especially if he gets a waiver.

I expect both Gach and Robbins to get waivers. Gach for sure moving to the closest school to home. Robbins to be with his uncle I think is enough, even if it's not actually the main reason for him.

Team should have a lot of depth. Imagine if oturu was back for another year? Yes I know that Robbins would then not have signed

This is a great get for the Gophers. Very athletic, pretty good FTs. If (big if) all these guys are eligible, and Carr comes back, this will be a really interesting season.

Two Big 12 titles is nothing?
Zero regular season titles, the true grind. Not those little tourneys where you only play 3 teams to win a conference tourney title. Where is his final 4 ! 51-57 as a D1 head coach in conference. Not good enough for me. Not trying to convince anyone what is good enough. Simply my own viewing of facts.

Top Bottom