USC and UCLA Planning to join BIG TEN.

USC and UCLA's commitments to their Fox PAC12 conference TV contract end in 2024.
The conference had asked them to update their commitments but the two schools hedged their bets.
The BIG gets entree into the huge LA market and the two schools get more $$$.
We get two decent FB schools and two very good academic schools.
And we also get the Song Girls and the UCLA cheer team.
Now let NE rejoin the BIG 12 and relegate NE back to fly over country.
I like change and this to me is win, win, win.
Two very good basketball schools as well. I could see them schedule a basketball weekend with like thu/sat games at both.

How about we have a 20 team conference. Then two divisions with ten in the Midwest and ten on the West Coast. Winner of each division plays for the conference title - maybe we could call that game the Rose Bowl.

How about we have a 20 team conference. Then two divisions with ten in the Midwest and ten on the West Coast. Winner of each division plays for the conference title - maybe we could call that game the Rose Bowl.
Midwest?

*Later clarified we wouldn't hear anything tonight

I'm not sure how accurate this author is, but I've seen some growing steam throughout the afternoon that Washington and Oregon could be soon following USC & UCLA into the BIG-whatever-we're-called.
Makes sense as they are both AAU schools.

Someone's always got to...
haha-stir-the-pot.gif

Strange.
With these soon-to-be large conferences, I predict one day there will be just ONE, GIANT, BIG CONFERENCE with all schools in the country as a member. And that conference will be broken down into several divisions...most likely by geographic region. For example, we can call one division the Pacific Division for the schools on the west coast. We can call the division in the deep south something like the Southeast Division; out east they can be the East Division, and/or the Atlantic Division. We could even give the divisions a number based on how many teams are in the division...like "8", "10", or "12"...we could even throw a fancy word in front of that to give it a little flare, like "Grand", "Large", or "Giant". Also, each division can even have sub-divisions that break things down a little further.
The teams in each division will play against each other all season...and may even play a few games outside their sub-division, however they are allowed to play about 3-4 games outside of their division at schools supposedly below their talent level in hopes of pocketing some extra, joyless wins. Then at the end of the year the teams with the best record in each sub-division will play against each other to decide the division champ.
At the end of the regular season, a group of people can take a look at all of the divisions winners and see who is worthy of a post-season tournament. It may be hard to decide which teams to choose so they will most likely have to select based on the teams overall TV ratings, media bias, how many 5-star players each team has, or any school in the Southeast Division wether they have won their division or not.

NOTE: There may even be some universities that deem themselves too fancy to join the great conference and choose to remain "independent", but that is okay, they can hop around from division to division to chase some extra revenue or if they start to feel left out.
So... A replacement for the NCAA basically!

I would think that USC and UCLA would desperately want at least two more PAC-12 teams to come with them for scheduling. With the exception of playing each other, travel in all sports is going to be hell for them and their fans.

And while I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere yet, I would think this would mean more night games in traditional Big10 stadiums during conference play. I can’t image the conference would want Bruins/Trojans road conference games played during the morning hours out west. Expect many of the USC/UCLA conference road games to be prime time tv broadcasts.

Yeah if they are expanding west it means they want a national conference. And maybe 20-30 teams

To expand to 16 and make it pay for itself it had to be huge names USC fits that bill

Candidates in my mind:
North Carolina
Georgia tech
Virginia
Florida state
Clemson
Boston college
Syracuse
Notre dame
Stanford
Cal
Washington
Oregon
Ok state
TCU or Texas tech or Houston (probably only 1)
Oklahoma state
Remember when you toss around possible teams that they have to be AAU members.

My guess is Washington, Oregon, ND, and Cal or Stanford to level it to 20 teams.

Remember when you toss around possible teams that they have to be AAU members.

My guess is Washington, Oregon, ND, and Cal or Stanford to level it to 20 teams.
But ND is not an AAU school.

I would think that USC and UCLA would desperately want at least two more PAC-12 teams to come with them for scheduling. With the exception of playing each other, travel in all sports is going to be hell for them and their fans.

And while I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere yet, I would think this would mean more night games in traditional Big10 stadiums during conference play. I can’t image the conference would want Bruins/Trojans road conference games played during the morning hours out west. Expect many of the USC/UCLA conference road games to be prime time tv broadcasts.
2:30 or 3 PM works just fine for conference games.

Top Bottom