Antonio Johnson
Robert Gregory

Gopher commits:
Isaac Hayes
Jack Lynn
Jonah Pirsig
Alex Keith
Jordan Hinojosa

Please add to the list with anyone else that you know to be coming either of the next 2 weekends.

I'm just curious, are these the kind of visits where the recruits stay for like a weekend and they stay with one of the players?

Add in Murray and some good news, TE Will Johnson, to 12/2 according to Rivals.

Still no officials listed for verbals Tyren Hills and the Miami 4 (Ballesteros, Hinojosa, Nicholson and Hinds).

Still no officials listed for verbals Tyren Hills and the Miami 4 (Ballesteros, Hinojosa, Nicholson and Hinds).

They are visiting the miami crew today. Guessing they schedule the official visit at that point.

As far as Johnson goes, my impression is both sides have moved on. SD Goph is right about Players like Plsek. He probably is a kid who could develop into multiple positions. Iowa has done a great job with athletes like that; Reiff and and at least one other high OT draft choice came in as guys who could play TE and grew into the position. Kill has talked multiple times about recruiting long athletes with the potential to play multiple positions to minimize the fact a player will not contribute at a specific position.

I really like this staff's approach to recruiting.
Bring in really solid recruits/in-state into the fold early, keep them in the fold all season, bring them in for late visits after the season in a kind of "gathering weekend" along with some talented but not sold yet recruits.

On top of that almost all the kids brought in have position flexibility, and seem to have good size AND speed/athleticism. I want to say most are solid students and citizens too, but I don't know that for sure yet. I am guessing they are not taking flyers on many ultra talented but troubled recruits in this class though.
I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with Kill's recruiting down the road. It just feels like a solid plan is in place and is working.

According to scout.com, Johnson is visiting this weekend. His personal trainer also told me he is visiting and I believe him because he also trains my son....

Do you ever get the feeling....

.....that coach Kill and his staff are always working to make this team better? When it comes to recruiting he keeps on turning over rocks to see what under them. Personally I think he is finding some gems under them all those rocks.

I also find the way he relates to the recruits and their families quite impressive. This guy knows what he is doing and is very focused.

.....that coach Kill and his staff are always working to make this team better? When it comes to recruiting he keeps on turning over rocks to see what under them. Personally I think he is finding some gems under them all those rocks.

I also find the way he relates to the recruits and their families quite impressive. This guy knows what he is doing and is very focused.

Mark my words Kill will win! That is my addition to the thread. ;)

Nice, let's hope Scout is right, Rivals has no mention of it.

It's probably because it almost certainly isn't an official. Perhaps the websites' definitions/thresholds of what constitutes a "visit" are different. I have no doubt that he is visiting, but why would he waste one of his 5 officials for a place that's 20 minutes away and that he's been to several times already? He himself said in an earlier interview that he wasn't going to take an official to Minnesota, because it would be pointless.

It's probably because it almost certainly isn't an official. Perhaps the websites' definitions/thresholds of what constitutes a "visit" are different. I have no doubt that he is visiting, but why would he waste one of his 5 officials for a place that's 20 minutes away and that he's been to several times already? He himself said in an earlier interview that he wasn't going to take an official to Minnesota, because it would be pointless.

Yeah, that would sound right. IIRC, there was an interview where it sounded like he wasn't going to use 1 of the official 5 visits on Minnesota. My impression has always been that he'd like to go to an out-of-state big-timey program, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Does anyone have more solid info about Johnson's visit?

Daphne AL is a school another school (like Miami Central) that churns out a lot of prospects. He and McGaster would be nice pick ups and hopefully open up a little pipeline.

chris monter reported he will in fact be here for an official this weekend (johnson)

Yeah, that makes sense. I do wonder if there is a big difference between official visits and non-official visits though. I remember reading the article about Leidner and he kind of ran down the plans for the weekend (dinner DT at Fogo, hanging out in the dorms, USC bball game, etc.). Does anyone know if there are different rules allowed for official visits that aren't allowed for unofficial visits? If so, maybe Kill talked him into using an official on us so he could be part of the whole experience.

Anyways, it's a big weekend for Gopher football. I hope Phil Nelson, Maxx Williams and Mitch Leidner have been working on their sales pitches for this weekend.

Top Bottom