UPDATED (6/6): Jarrod Uthoff to transfer to Iowa, staying in B1G, pulling a Sam Okey

Really a poorly-handled situation on both sides.

Here is a different take on it:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...t-disdain-in-attempt-to-block-jarrod-uthoffs-

Bo Ryan and the UW PR staff found a lemming in the media to peddle his b.s in Decourcey. Everyone else isn't buying it. Jeff Goodman on Twitter destroys Ryan's reasons the best.

Plain and simple - it's Bo being petty and vindictive and he got called out for it. Instead of doing the right thing, he tried to lie his way out of it on national radio. Now he's in damage control big time.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...t-disdain-in-attempt-to-block-jarrod-uthoffs-

The difference between Uthoff and Bo in this case is that Uthoff didn't go on national radio this morning and embarass himself and the school pubicly.

I would also expect a higher level of conduct, or a more mature way of handling a situation, from somebody like Bo than I would from a kid who's not yet old enough to drink.

Poor kid. This is the only thing that I read in the article. :)

There were scores of condemnations for Ryan within hours of the initial report from Iowa-based preps site Metro Sports, which quoted Uthoff as saying, “I didn’t see it coming,” when he received an e-mail from Wisconsin regarding the restrictions.

FREE JARROD!

FREE JARROD!

Poor little Jarrod is free. He finally talked to someone to explain his decision and was rewarded. Wish that had happened a week ago.

"@BadgerMBB(2/3) Doherty,Alvarez& Bo Ryan collectively decided UW Athletics will lift all 'permission to contact' restrictions outside Big Ten"

Poor little Jarrod is free.

I saw that. The public perception is already done though.

The damage control starts.

Ryan is supportive of denials of Big Ten institutions only and has wanted appeals process to serve as a means for dialogue.

Bo and Charlie Sheen are very similar, they both go on national radio/tv and somewhat embarrass the people around them but they are WINNING so hard to hate...

Poor little Jarrod is free. He finally talked to someone to explain his decision and was rewarded. Wish that had happened a week ago.

"@BadgerMBB(2/3) Doherty,Alvarez& Bo Ryan collectively decided UW Athletics will lift all 'permission to contact' restrictions outside Big Ten"

I'm sure his remaining time on campus will be pleasant and hassle free.

I hope after getting final notice on who he will be allowed to transfer to he will select Creighton and it ends up being all about nothing.

Blizzard said:
I saw that. The public perception is already done though.

The damage control starts.

I get that they aren't the same situation, but I still can't get over how hard Bo fought to get Brust off of Iowa and on to Wisconsin and now he supports the in conference transfer rule when his guy wants to leave Wisconsin for Iowa.

Just like anything else in today's world, in short time this, too, shall pass. In 2012-13 in all likelihood Bo's team will finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten, they'll win 22-25 games playing a competitive schedule, win at least one game in the NCAA tourney (he's won 16 NCAA games in 11 seasons), and this will all be yesterday's news.

We're not learning anything new here, really. We've always suspected Bo was kind of a dink (a lot of successful coaches are), but that doesn't preclude him from being a h*ll of a basketball coach.

Not so fast my friend! MSW, OSU, IU, and Michigan may have something to say about the top 4 finish. Our squad wont be shaking in their boots either. There is no one on that roster that can do the things JT did. I know they have done it year after year, but that doesn't mean it will happen next year. I think everyone is underestimating how good Jordan was at running BO's system. He was elite, historic assist/TO ratio. I know UWole will say they like some red shirt guy, but no way they are as good.

I know UWole will say they like some red shirt guy, but no way they are as good.

As a matter of fact, redshirt freshman PG George Marshall (from Chicago) got really good reviews for his play in practice this past sesaon. Taylor spoke very highly of him. Of course he will not be as good individually as Taylor, but he has 4 starters back around him, and Bo has been pretty good at developing PGs over the years. They will also have two guys off the bench who played signficant minutes last season, and bring in their most talented recruit in Bo's time in Madison. UW will be in the mix for the top 4, but there will be some very talented teams in the top 6 or 7 next season. Should be really fun to see how the Big 10 plays out next season. Remember that I predicted UW would miss the tournament this past season, so I don't tend to be an overly optimistic fan.

Perhaps UW's restrictions on Uthoff were not as harsh as claimed by Jarrod and his AAU coach?

"It is incorrect that Uthoff requested “permission to contact” 25 schools. He has requested “permission to contact” 16 schools, 4 of which were denied."

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041912aab.html

No, he was restricted from schools he did not want to attend. The Big 10 and ACC is 23. Marquette is 24, ISU 25, Florida 26.

Anyone else hear Bo Ryan on Mike & Mike this morning?

What an arrogant jerkwad. It's worth trying to find to take a listen. If I were Tubby I'd play it for all recruits and say listen, if you commit to WI and ever want to transfer they will go out of their way to ruin your college career by making a transfer to a good school almost impossible.

What an arrogant jerkwad. It's worth trying to find to take a listen. If I were Tubby I'd play it for all recruits and say listen, if you commit to WI and ever want to transfer they will go out of their way to ruin your college career by making a transfer to a good school almost impossible.

Uthoff can go anywhere outside of the Big Ten...

You should hear the Badger lemmings though. Of course, its now a player they didn't want, yet at the end of the season, most had him projected as a starter. I don't understand the mentality of a Badger fan...I actually like following them simply because of my Wisconsin connections and the fact I know some of those kids. But, to defend Grinch on what he said and assclown he sounded like is hilarious.

Uthoff can go anywhere outside of the Big Ten...

It's pretty convenient how Bo removed some of the restrictions after every major news outlet across the country had something negative to say about him, don't you think?

You should hear the Badger lemmings though. Of course, its now a player they didn't want, yet at the end of the season, most had him projected as a starter. I don't understand the mentality of a Badger fan...I actually like following them simply because of my Wisconsin connections and the fact I know some of those kids. But, to defend Grinch on what he said and assclown he sounded like is hilarious.

He was certainly NOT projected as a starter next year by anyone with any knowledge of UW BBall. The following year, after Berggren, Evans and Bruisewitz graduate, is when UW fans (myself included) penciled him in as a major contributor.

Bo came across as an ass, but all he wanted was for the kid to actually have to have a conversation with a UW representative. The kid wouldn't talk to anyone, and since his transfer request was completely unexpected, I think it's completely legit for Uthoff to actually have the transfer discussion. The kid handled the situation in the worst possible way, and I sincerely hope that he doesn't ever contribute to whatever school he goes to.

What Uthoff did:
- He told UW about his intentions to transfer right after signing day, despite knowing of his decision to transfer months ago
- He never told his teammates and was playing a pick up game with his teammates the day he filed the transfer request
- He refused to talk with Bo
- At least one coach and one player knew of Uthoff's decision to transfer at least two months ago
- He went to the media when he didn't get his way, instead of having a conversation with Bo or some other UW official

I support what Bo did, I just wish he was at least mildly capable of articulating WHY he did what he did without coming across as a complete asshat.

Oh well it's over, and this will have absolutely zero meaningful impact on the UW program moving forward.

It's pretty convenient how Bo removed some of the restrictions after every major news outlet across the country had something negative to say about him, don't you think?

It also happens that he removed those restrictions after Jarrod finally spoke with a University representative...

He was certainly NOT projected as a starter next year by anyone with any knowledge of UW BBall. The following year, after Berggren, Evans and Bruisewitz graduate, is when UW fans (myself included) penciled him in as a major contributor.

Bo came across as an ass, but all he wanted was for the kid to actually have to have a conversation with a UW representative. The kid wouldn't talk to anyone, and since his transfer request was completely unexpected, I think it's completely legit for Uthoff to actually have the transfer discussion. The kid handled the situation in the worst possible way, and I sincerely hope that he doesn't ever contribute to whatever school he goes to.

What Uthoff did:
- He told UW about his intentions to transfer right after signing day, despite knowing of his decision to transfer months ago
- He never told his teammates and was playing a pick up game with his teammates the day he filed the transfer request
- At least one coach and one player knew of Uthoff's decision to transfer at least two months ago
- He went to the media when he didn't get his way, instead of having a conversation with Bo or some other UW official

I support what Bo did, I just wish he was at least mildly capable of articulating WHY he did what he did without coming across as a complete asshat.

Oh well it's over, and this will have absolutely zero meaningful impact on the UW program moving forward.

Pure class.

I never claimed to have any haha.

I remember people freaking out over McDonald decommiting last year...I don't remember if you were one of them...but there we a ton of Gopher fans on this board saying far worse things than "I hope he doesn't contribute."

With football you have 100 kids and the relationship with the head coach might not be that strong, in basketball there are only 13 players, the coach and the players know each other very well. It just doesn't sound like Uthoff had any comfort level with Ryan at all. Why couldn't he walk in and say coach I want to transfer, something is just wrong with that, he obviously didn't feel he could do it though. That to me speaks volumes about what transpired.

With football you have 100 kids and the relationship with the head coach might not be that strong, in basketball there are only 13 players, the coach and the players know each other very well. It just doesn't sound like Uthoff had any comfort level with Ryan at all. Why couldn't he walk in and say coach I want to transfer, something is just wrong with that, he obviously didn't feel he could do it though. That to me speaks volumes about what transpired.

To me that speaks volumes about the kid.

What Uthoff did:

Contradict yourself much?

To me that speaks volumes about the kid.

It does, but it also says something about the coach, he should know his players, if something happened like that you would think he would go out on a one on one basis and figure out what is wrong and not allow it to get to the media. Ryan clammed up it looks like and made it a battle when it should have been about figuring out how to make it best for all involved.

I would have sat down with him and explained who and why I would not allow him to go to certain schools and make sure he understood who they were and what the reasons were. If he goes to the media, repeat exactly what he was told and why to the media so there is no misunderstanding.

Top Bottom