UPDATED (6/6): Jarrod Uthoff to transfer to Iowa, staying in B1G, pulling a Sam Okey

Dan Wetzel also tweeted that..

Ryan also said Florida was blocked in ESPN story. So that's 26 schools. Still think record is 27 by Miami on Robert Marve

I love twitter.

“@bomani_jones: i need to get rolling, but i've GOTTA hear how bo ryan tries to spin his pettiness.”

“@bomani_jones: btw, i really hope ryan's got a great story, cuz this could be a disasterpiece for him.”

“@bomani_jones: ryan's explanation: i've never done this, so i asked other coaches how to handle transfers. and this is how they do.”

“@bomani_jones: what i don't get is why a coach needs to "understand" why a kid's transferring. cuz he wants to leave?”

“@bomani_jones: hold on: ryan tried to say "anytime someone wants to leave a job..." then say, "they can go?" YOU DID THAT, BO!”

“@bomani_jones: uh oh...bo just got defensive. "how come you ain't talkin bout nobody else?" what i tell you? disasterpiece.”

“@bomani_jones: well, he didn't SAY "how come you ain't talkin bout nobody else?" i'm just a good translator.”

“@bomani_jones: i'm so mad i don't have time to write today. bo's throwing every columnist in america a thigh-high fastball.”

“@bomani_jones: nah, it's too late. he's gotta try to bring it back in the road. RT @Coach_June: Do u think Bo Ryan should shut up yet??”

“@bomani_jones: and remember: bo ryan's the guy folks keep telling me "does it the right way." b/c his players aren't that talented, i guess.”

“@bomani_jones: RT @jaybirdjason11: ryan keeps talking about "the rule" as if he has to block him. it's the rule but you dont have to block him you fool.”

“@bomani_jones: ryan's short answer is "because i can." and, in fairness to him, the fact that he CAN is a bigger problem than him.”

“@bomani_jones: #itsaboutchoice #notaboutforce RT @rodimusprime: Insert pimp 4 coach”

“@GoodmanCBS: Bo Ryan not making himself look good right now on Mike & Mike. Bottom line is no need to restrict kids who want to leave - unless tampering.”

“@bomani_jones: RT @rodimusprime: see baby you gotta make me understand why you'd want to NOT get me my money.”

“@GoodmanCBS: One of your best tweets. Ever. @DanWolken: Bo Ryan using this break to "Phone-a-Friend." Only problem is, he's calling Phil Martelli.”

“@bomani_jones: he's making it real easy right now, too. don't blame me. RT @alexsimson: yet all of you media is attacking him”

“@darrenrovell: Bo Ryan is on Mike & Mike. It's clear he is dangerously tone deaf. He had a chance to right this & miserably failed.”

“@GoodmanCBS: Bo Ryan is correct that a ton of coaches are putting restrictions on kids and where they can go. However, that doesn't make it right.”

“@bomani_jones: hey, bo ryan: if you're looking for the "right thing to do," the WRONG group to ask is a bunch of coaches.”

“@bomani_jones: fundamentally, this is about what the player owes the coach. dude, nobody owes you sh t.”

“@GoodmanCBS: Hey Bo: The facts are the kid wants to leave -- and there wasn't tampering. So, let the kid go where he wants. How about blanket release.”

“@bomani_jones: just listen to it. all about what this player owes to ryan. that's what he's saying. nobody owes you, man.”

“@GoodmanCBS: Novel concept: There are kids who are actually given blanket releases to go anywhere they want.”

“@bomani_jones: RT @jrlovejoy74: Bo Ryan sounds like that dude whose chick walked out on him and he won't give her back the key to her crib #simpinainteasy”

“@GoodmanCBS: There's a reason why Phil Martelli stayed silent. If you watched Bo Ryan on Mike & Mike just now, we all know why.”

“@GoodmanCBS: Tampering with 24 schools? Doubt it. @JimPolzinWSJ: @GoodmanCBS Jeff, how are you so certain there wasn't tampering?”

Will continue updating!

Bo definitely flamed on Mike and Mike. He should not have gone on there.

Just like anything else in today's world, in short time this, too, shall pass. In 2012-13 in all likelihood Bo's team will finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten, they'll win 22-25 games playing a competitive schedule, win at least one game in the NCAA tourney (he's won 16 NCAA games in 11 seasons), and this will all be yesterday's news.

We're not learning anything new here, really. We've always suspected Bo was kind of a dink (a lot of successful coaches are), but that doesn't preclude him from being a h*ll of a basketball coach.

Just like anything else in today's world, in short time this, too, shall pass. In 2012-13 in all likelihood Bo's team will finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten, they'll win 22-25 games playing a competitive schedule, win at least one game in the NCAA tourney, and this will all be yesterday's news.

We're not learning anything new here, really. We've always suspected Bo was kind of a dink (a lot of successful coaches are), but that doesn't preclude him from being a h*ll of a basketball coach.

Agree. And Badger fans will continue to puff out their chests about the morality of their head coach.

Bo definitely flamed on Mike and Mike. He should not have gone on there.

That's for sure. Reminded me of Al Campanis on Nightline years back. Obviously not as serious of an issue.

Bo kept talking in circles about how that is the rule and 300 schools have done the same thing and no one talks about that.

Kept talking about how it looks bad for Wis. and the player will not talk to him and explain why. Something about by appealing he(player) will have to meet with administration and talk to them and explain. Didn't go any further with this-wish mike or mike would have explored this angle.

All in all, sounded like an idiot.

Just like anything else in today's world, in short time this, too, shall pass. In 2012-13 in all likelihood Bo's team will finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten, they'll win 22-25 games playing a competitive schedule, win at least one game in the NCAA tourney, and this will all be yesterday's news.

I disagree. The College Basketball world will now associate the word petty with Bo Ryan for a long time.

I LOVE(!!!!!!!!!!!) that Bo crashed and burned on a national radio program. He's keeping the story alive as a result. More bad press for him is a good thing. The narrative of Bo is starting to change and he's not helping. This could have ended 48 hours ago but now it'll be in the news at least another 48 hours from today. Repetition of a narrative can be powerful. Doesn't mean he's not a good coach and it probably has no impact on the upcoming season but he's certainly taking a hit that might have a lasting impact, possibly in recruiting or how people cover his teams nationally. The softball stories about Badger basketball may be over.

Just like anything else in today's world, in short time this, too, shall pass. In 2012-13 in all likelihood Bo's team will finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten, they'll win 22-25 games playing a competitive schedule, win at least one game in the NCAA tourney (he's won 16 NCAA games in 11 seasons), and this will all be yesterday's news.

From a fan perspective you are right. But players know players and talk to other players. This may have a medium term effect on Bo's recruiting. Pretty bad press.

Is Bo more of a slime ball than John Calipari (who I can't stand)? Than Bob Huggins (who I like)?

Guys like John Calipari and Bob Huggins have survived quite nicely despite their bad reps and a lot of bad press over the years, and their reps are for a lot worse crap than this. Bo will survive just fine, too.

I think Bo's being a dink with this kid, no doubt, but it's all typical overreaction by the likes of Big Brother (ESPN) and other media outlets. Take the fact that it's Wisconsin/Bo out of the equation & would any of you be so outraged?

SelectionSunday said:
Is Bo more of a slime ball than John Calipari (who I can't stand)? Than Bob Huggins (who I like)?

Guys like John Calipari and Bob Huggins have survived quite nicely despite their bad reps and a lot of bad press over the years, and their reps are for a lot worse crap than this. Bo will survive just fine, too.

I think Bo's being a dink with this kid, no doubt, but it's all typical overreaction by the likes of Big Brother (ESPN) and other media outlets. Take the fact that it's Wisconsin/Bo out of the equation & would any of you be so outraged? Are you outraged at Danny Manning, too? Are Mike & Mike going to have Danny Manning on their show, too?

The difference with Cal is that his slime balling helps players. Bo's is hurting a player.

A kid is going to sign with a slime ball who buys him a car before he signs with a slime ball who will restrict his transfer choices.

Agree otherwise with what You are saying, I just enjoy Bo being trashed lol

Curious though why Bo thinks he is owed something, did he buy his players cars and he feels betrayed one dare leave after his generosity?

But the Calipari and Huggins bad reps have nothing to do with how they treat their players.

What struck me when I was listening to Mike and Mike was how many times he said that he "owes it to the fans" to restrict the kid. I find it hard to believe that Wisconsin fans would walk out on Bo if he let the kid go wherever he wants. What a joke. I was picturing him on the phone with steam coming out of his ears. He didn't handle that interview too well.

I think Bo's being a dink with this kid, no doubt, but it's all typical overreaction by the likes of Big Brother (ESPN) and other media outlets. Take the fact that it's Wisconsin/Bo out of the equation & would any of you be so outraged?

You're being far too kind, Hodger

Bo buried himself on Mike and Mike this morning. He had a chance to do something different and he elected not to.

The most entertaining part of this situation is that this has evolved FAR beyond which party is actually "right or wrong". At this point, in the "court of public opinion", it's a huge black eye for Bo and the school. Bottom line. Even if Bo is right, even if it happens all the time and at hundreds of other schools, it's Bo and Wisky that looks completely stupid, petty, and vindictive.

And yes, I'm enjoying it tremendously.

Fair enough, Ogee, (sorta') defending Bo/Wisconsin once in one day is more than enough for me!

Certainly not going to argue this doesn't look bad, petty, vindictive, all appropriate word choices. My point is, this will blow over, and in the grand scheme of things will not be a big, hairy deal once we get to the next news cycle. If 2-3 years from now Wisconsin's basketball program is in the crapper because of this incident, I would encourage anyone to remind me of this day.

Bo should have said schools x, y, and z tampered and we might play schools a, b, and c and if Uthoff is playing for them it gives those schools an unfair advantage if we play them. The next step would be to drop the issue, since no one cares about college basketball at the end of April.

...it's a huge black eye for Bo and the school. Bottom line. Even if Bo is right, even if it happens all the time and at hundreds of other schools, it's Bo and Wisky that looks completely stupid, petty, and vindictive.

And yes, I'm enjoying it tremendously.

As am I. I haven't seen a PR flame-out like this in a long time. It's incredibly entertaining. The fact that it's Wisconsin is just making it that much more enjoyable.

The whole thrust of the conversation has shifted. The first two days it was about fairness to a student-athlete. Now it's become how vindictive and intransigent Bo Ryan is. Classic.

The people who "lost" respect for him do not matter to me at all, because they are idiots. They listen to the talking heads on ESPN and assume that what Bo is doing is somehow unique...but it's not. This doesn't affect our program at all in any meaningful way.

You're making the same argument that makes Wisconsin look foolish. Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right - and everyone who does it looks like a jerk: Danny Manning, Phil Martelli, and now Frank Martin. And when 25+ schools are on the list, including the only power conference school in your home state that's not in the Big 10, you just multiply the problem.

I can accept you defending Wisconsin's program, but defending this action with the "it's okay to be a jerk because everyone else is a jerk" argument, followed by the whisper campaign about tampering, just defies logic.

Keep talking Bo...I hope Tubby has a recording of this interview and plays it to any recruit and their parents if we are going up against Wisconsin for a recruit.

If I am a Football coach from now on and I find out my QB wants to transfer I am placing only one restriction: Wisconsin. Lets see how good Bucky really is with their own recruits

Fair enough, Ogee, (sorta') defending Bo/Wisconsin once in one day is more than enough for me!

Certainly not going to argue this doesn't look bad, petty, vindictive, all appropriate word choices. My point is, this will blow over, and in the grand scheme of things will not be a big, hairy deal once we get to the next news cycle. If 2-3 years from now Wisconsin's basketball program is in the crapper because of this incident, I would encourage anyone to remind me of this day.

I know exactly what you're saying, and you're most likely dead on.

What I'm saying is that what you're doing right now is enjoying an awesome day at Valley Fair or Disney World with a group of friends and saying, "Monday we're all going to be back at work and this will be ancient history".

Don't be THAT GUY!!!!

Wouldn't it have been easier for JU to be given a list of schools by grinch that he COULD transfer to?

Bo is an easy target. I think his on-court antics are embarrassing and this just adds to it. Additionally his players take on the same attitude. Good coach, yes, but one I am very happy does not represent a team I like.

Badger2010 after that interview:
ykxEo.jpg

Wouldn't it have been easier for JU to be given a list of schools by grinch that he COULD transfer to?

That was Danny Manning's approach to his player-- gave him 3 schools he COULD go to. Haven't heard near as much about that today. And I think this was worse because of the coaching change.

That was Danny Manning's approach to his player-- gave him 3 schools he COULD go to. Haven't heard near as much about that today. And I think this was worse because of the coaching change.

unless the player told him he wants to go to one of those 3.

Top Bottom