UPDATED 12/18: UW reportedly hires Gary Andersen with career 30-31 record

Interesting, 30-31 career record, I can't see that going over to well in Madison.
That may be, but Andersen took his squad into Madison this year and gave them all they could handle, only to lose after his kicker (who'd never attempted a field goal in a game before) blew a chip shot that would have beat the Badgers. He'd be a good hire, but certainly wouldn't carry a lot of weight with Badger fans who think they're among the elite teams in the country.

That may be, but Andersen took his squad into Madison this year and gave them all they could handle, only to lose after his kicker (who'd never attempted a field goal in a game before) blew a chip shot that would have beat the Badgers. He'd be a good hire, but certainly wouldn't carry a lot of weight with Badger fans who think they're among the elite teams in the country.

If that's the criteria, then if Andersen turns them down Barry should go after the guy who Coached Cal Poly in 2008.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283270275

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=283270275

@footballscoop: Sources close to situation at Wisconsin say conversation w Gary Andersen was "basic contact" search has moved on #badgers

Go Gophers!!

@footballscoop: Sources close to situation at Wisconsin say conversation w Gary Andersen was "basic contact" search has moved on #badgers

Go Gophers!!

OR:

@TomFornelli: Reports: Utah State's Gary Andersen interviewed with Wisconsin, has emerged as favorite for job - http://cbsprt.co/VPTzKL

Both posted within 90 seconds of one another......

Great hire him...Buckyville would hate that hire....but Gophernation would love it. Anderson is below average from what their fan base wants.

Adam Mertz ‏@AdamMertzWSJ
BREAKING: Gary Andersen will be the next #Badgers football coach, source tells the State Journal, per @TomMulhernWSJ: http://ow.ly/gdfJg

Great hire him...Buckyville would hate that hire....but Gophernation would love it. Anderson is below average from what their fan base wants.

Perhaps, but I think he's a pretty good coach. Wouldn't be a flashy hire, and I'm sure they expected more of a name (just as many Gopher fans did when Kill was hired), but I don't think this would be a bad hire at all for Wisconsin. And as much as I hate to say it, Anderson actually seems like a decent dude.

Looks like it's Anderson, and he looks like a very solid coach (and word from my covert agents in WI is that the fan base would be/is generally happy with the hire). So, this thread gets put to bed now?

Looks like it's Anderson, and he looks like a very solid coach (and word from my covert agents in WI is that the fan base would be/is generally happy with the hire). So, this thread gets put to bed now?

I'm hearing the opposite. They want a bigger name....a coach from a big program. Stuck with Anderson - Gotta love it!

12-13-2012, 09:27 PM#163

Some Day...Is Coming!

Gary Anderson Utah State

Just want to take credit for my post above from 5 days ago. Just had a feeling that Alvarez might go that route, particularly after seeing them live and in person in Madison this year where they should have beaten the Badgers if not for a missed chip shot field goal. This guy has done a phenomenal job at Utah State. He was hired by Urban Meyer. As the DC at Utah in 2008 they were undefeated including winning a BCS bowl and holding Alabama to 17 points.

If the reports are true, like most people would think, Alvarez hired a solid coach. I'm just so glad butt f... bielemic is gone. I can't wait to watch his career impode at Arkansas. I have another new 2nd favorite team, anyone who plays Arkansas.

I'm really going to miss Coach Bielema visiting my establishment, the Essen Haus. Now we got some guy in here who I presume is a non-drinking Mormon. Guess I'll have some serve him a Shirley Temple in a 1 Liter stein.

Anderson was 10-2 in the WAC....yes the WAC....losing to the two best teams on its schedule Bucky and BYU. Oh wait, he won the a Potato Bowl. C'mon guys seriously is this what you would expect the Big Ten Champion Champs to hire?? I hope all their fans are disappointed because I hate the Badgers!!!

I'm hearing the opposite. They want a bigger name....a coach from a big program. Stuck with Anderson - Gotta love it!

Don't know where you're looking, but a quick look at the badger sites that come up first on google show a lot of positivity. Of course, everybody wants Petersen first, but this guy looks like a solid hire at first blush.

Only time will tell but I think this is a very suspect hire. Yes, he had a good 2012 year and almost beat SIN-BAD at the beginning of the year. However, keep in mind SIN-BAD was terrible at the beginning of the year having no offense which resulted in BB firing the OL coach. Although Utah State improved a lot over the last few years, they're playing in a diluted conference that has very weak football teams. Just wiki WAC and look at former members and you'll know what I mean. Most of the teams that they played are awful. He had success as an asst. coach at Utah but how much was him versus the other coaches is difficult to say. Utah enjoyed a lot of success at that time thanks in large part to the program building that Urban Meyer did before leaving for Florida in 2005. He may be the next Urban Meyer but I think there is also a good chance he'll be the next Danny Hope or any of the other so called up and coming coaches who have failed at the BCS level. Like I said, time will tell.

Word is he's taking all of his assistants. Will be interesting to see if he tries to turn Wisconsin into a spread team.

I hate to admit this, but he is actually a good hire. Utah State has been a futile program for years and he has turned them around to be respectable. Utah State is third banana in the state and they have done quite well for that program in the last two years and have gotten progressed well each season under his term. He was also the DC for the Utah team that beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl. I am shocked that he is ending up at Wisconsin because I was suspecting that he would have gotten the Cal job; but he reupped his contract right after the season and before the bowl game. I do wonder though if Anderson will be running his spread offense in Wisconsin which would be quite the switch.

Our rivals haven't whiffed on a head coach in 20 years.

Let this be the time!

I hate to admit this, but he is actually a good hire. Utah State has been a futile program for years and he has turned them around to be respectable. Utah State is third banana in the state and they have done quite well for that program in the last two years and have gotten progressed well each season under his term. He was also the DC for the Utah team that beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl. I am shocked that he is ending up at Wisconsin because I was suspecting that he would have gotten the Cal job; but he reupped his contract right after the season and before the bowl game. I do wonder though if Anderson will be running his spread offense in Wisconsin which would be quite the switch.

Please, please, please try to run the spread at Sconnie-- that seems like it would be a catastrophe ! One can hope!

Interesting hire.

He's a good coach but I don't know how I feel about the fit at Wisconsin.

He's born and raised in Utah though, and almost his whole resume revolves around that region.

Is he going to try and recruit California? Or is he going to retain assistants from Wisconsin that recruit Florida and the east?

A lot of questions but the story doesn't end at 30-31 with this guy.

I Dunno . . .

. . . I'm still pissed about him missing that field goal against the Falcons in the NFC Championship game in 98. One stinkin' miss all year, and it has to be that kick. Ol' Spermophilus lost his "Viking religion" that day, and hasn't really ever gotten it back.

Seriously though, Bucky's pixie dust has to run out some time - n'est ce pas?

LOL, loving it, I was hoping for Chilly but Andersen will do. I just don't see this as a good fit at all.

I think the coaching record is misleading as it includes one year at Southern Utah and four years at Utah State. I wouldn't be wild about Andersen for a lot of the reasons I wasn't wild about Kill, but at least Wisconsin has been successful which should ease his transition to big time recruiting. As a Gopher fan this hire seems like about as good as we could hope for. It's not a guy who's been in the Wisconsin coaching tree, it's not a young/dynamic guy who might elevate recruiting while leaning on Barry, and it' not a big name. That said, I really wanted Brad Childress to coach Becky.

I'm really going to miss Coach Bielema visiting my establishment, the Essen Haus. Now we got some guy in here who I presume is a non-drinking Mormon. Guess I'll have some serve him a Shirley Temple in a 1 Liter stein.

This news is, what? Less than an hour old, and you feel the need to be here? Grow a dick and head back to your own board. The sconnie obsession with "The U" is truly embarrassing to your fan-base.

Don't feed the Bison troll.

Speaking of which, it's a bit misleading to harp on his record, considering that nobody won at Utah State for years and years.

I think this is a solid double for Wisconsin. Not bad considering that Bielema put them in a crummy situation, but not exactly a home run considering the program that they aspire to be.

This is probably be going to be the first time the Badgers will need to recruit a game changing QB. With the exception of the free agent Wilson, they've had game managers and relied on their running game.

The sconnie obsession with "The U" is truly embarrassing to your fan-base.

Is there any bit of irony that this is post #325 on page 17 of a thread dedicated to Wisconsin?

The day DetlefWithTheEssenHaus stops posting here would be a sad day...unless of course it meant Minnesota finally beat Wisconsin and the curse was over.

Can't wait for the announcement that he was Barry's "first choice all along."

Considering that I thought Peterson had a chance of being their next HC, I'm thrilled they selected Anderson. It's definitely a "wait-and-see" aka "meh" hire for that program. Could turn out to be good. Could be a disaster. I like that it's not close to a slam dunk. There are definitely some concerns: schemes on O and D (his coordinators aren't at all familar with the Badgers scheme under BB and BA), has basically only coached in Utah, which is quite different from Madison in many, many ways, has never recruited the region, he's not a familar name, he's only had 1 successful season, etc.

Top Bottom