University of Minnesota Restructures Head Football Coach Jerry Kill’s Contract

GopherLady

Reaction score
University of Minnesota Restructures Head Football Coach Jerry Kill’s Contract

University of Minnesota Director of Athletics Norwood Teague announced today that the university restructured Head Football Coach Jerry Kill’s contract. The contract, which adds one year, runs through the 2018-19 season and will pay Kill $2.1 million for the 2014-15 season.

“Coach Kill is proving his model works here at the University of Minnesota,” said Teague. “It is right to support him as he builds a program that will make the state of Minnesota proud.”

The Gophers finished 8-5 in Kill’s third season at Minnesota and played in their second straight bowl game. The team also won four straight Big Ten games for the first time since 1973 and beat Nebraska for the first time since 1960.

Kill's rebuilding of the Minnesota program is also taking place in the classroom. The Gophers recorded a 994 Academic Progress Rate (APR) for the 2011-12 season, the first under Kill's leadership. The 994 score is the highest single-season score that the Minnesota football team has ever recorded and only 10 teams have tied or beaten a score of 994 since the NCAA has made single-season scores available.

“Jerry Kill is the right coach for the University of Minnesota,” said University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler. He has clearly moved our program forward and I am pleased we have come to this agreement to secure his long-term leadership of Gopher football.”

At the University of Minnesota, coaches’ salaries are paid with ticket and other athletics department revenues. No tuition money is used.

“I appreciate the support President Eric Kaler and Athletic Director Norwood Teague have shown to me, the program and our student-athletes,” said Kill. “I am extremely proud of what our players and coaches accomplished on and off the field last season. We still have a lot of work to do, but are moving the program in the right direction. I look forward to continuing to build a program that positively represents the great people of Minnesota and am excited to work with our players again when we start spring practice in early March.”

Kill will address the media about his restructured contract and to preview spring practice at 11:30 a.m. on Feb. 24 in the football team meeting room. Teague will be available immediately following.

I love how they add the "At the University of Minnesota, coaches’ salaries are paid with ticket and other athletics department revenues. No tuition money is used." part. We all know the buttclown who that comment it directed to.. Haha

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reading Kill's 25 page new contract. Some new perks: gets 2 cars vs. 1 car under old deal. More private jet recruiting usage, etc. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gophers&src=hash">#gophers</a></p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/437375078175481856">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jerry Kill's contract revision includes mutual buyout clause calling for $600k per year remaining on the deal at time of buyout. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Chris Long (@jclong) <a href="https://twitter.com/jclong/statuses/437374335125581824">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

too soon. incentives should have been increased but whatever.

"2 more years, at most." Ha. What a clown. Can't wait until we exceed 8 wins next year and he is proven wrong once again.

I don't mind that he has that opinion. But it is just that, an opinion. He acts like everything he says is correct and there is no way he can be wrong.

I am so proud to finally have a quality football program being built at the U. Moreover, being built the correct way. Old school. Quality student athletes, quality academics, quality sportsmanship, quality talent, quality strength and conditioning, quality coaching, quality wins.

Let's get that practice facility built!

I am so proud to finally have a quality football program being built at the U. Moreover, being built the correct way. Old school. Quality student athletes, quality academics, quality sportsmanship, quality talent, quality strength and conditioning, quality coaching, quality wins.
I'd like to see a winning Big 10 season before I call the U a "quality" football program. Maybe some "quality bowl game wins"?

I'd like to see a winning Big 10 season before I call the U a "quality" football program. Maybe some "quality bowl game wins"?

I consider Nebraska, Penn State, and Northwestern quality wins this last season. In fact, any win in conference is a quality win. The B1G is under rated IMO due to perennial poor bowl showings. Our location does not benefit the B1G in December and January games. Neither does playing to the weather toward the end of the season.

This team will breakout this fall.

Question: Why the Malcolm Moos moniker?

Assistant Coaches...are they being taken care of too?

My understanding is yes, the top assistants will be taken care of too. I was hoping that they would provide higher salaries for the assistants and in particular Claeys. If I heard correctly, the top nine assistants will get paid at least what the top six in the B1G are paid at their positions. In other words, they will get at least the average of B1G peers.

However, I'm amused at this way of doing it as I believe it mostly reinforces bad habits. If every institution adopted this similar "pay at least the average" policy, it would be out of whack every year because salaries are always changing up or down but mostly up. I get it that we want to be competitive with our peers but this is poor policy.

I'd rather pay an assistant what he is really worth rather than the average of his conference peers. Although this model is used in other businesses, it is mostly a public sector approach. For example, school districts commonly pay their superintendents the average of peer districts. I think this approach encourages escalating salaries. But I digress.

Yes, I'm happy our assistants are being provided for in all of this even if they're using an average of B1G peers. I believe our assistants were underpaid and hopefully we'll keep them around with a salary increase.

Go Gophers!

My understanding is yes, the top assistants will be taken care of too. I was hoping that they would provide higher salaries for the assistants and in particular Claeys. If I heard correctly, the top nine assistants will get paid at least what the top six in the B1G are paid at their positions. In other words, they will get at least the average of B1G peers.

However, I'm amused at this way of doing it as I believe it mostly reinforces bad habits. If every institution adopted this similar "pay at least the average" policy, it would be out of whack every year because salaries are always changing up or down but mostly up. I get it that we want to be competitive with our peers but this is poor policy.

I'd rather pay an assistant what he is really worth rather than the average of his conference peers. Although this model is used in other businesses, it is mostly a public sector approach. For example, school districts commonly pay their superintendents the average of peer districts. I think this approach encourages escalating salaries. But I digress.

Yes, I'm happy our assistants are being provided for in all of this even if they're using an average of B1G peers. I believe our assistants were underpaid and hopefully we'll keep them around with a salary increase.

Go Gophers!

A raise is a raise which is more than many folks get nowadays. Most places of work the pay remained relatively flat the last four or five years.

Only the executive management teams are getting astronomical bonuses and raises, usually for shutting down domestic operations and moving them off shore...

Back to the pay raises for the assistant coaches. That is a very good thing if you want to keep the cohesive group together. We are very fortunate that Kill can command such loyalty today.

To be fair, diehard said "a quality football program being built". I don't think anyone feels that we're all the way there. But we are definitely headed in the right direction, and we should appreciate that and enjoy the good times.

The only question I have: What does GW think?

Naturally. How do Doogie and Chris Long of KSTP think they can simply read the contract without consulting GW to learn what it 'really' says?

The news is the top story on ESPN's college football page

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ophers-coach-jerry-kill-given-extension-raise

Some of the things in the comment section are incredibly ignorant though. "wish I could show up half the time to work and get a raise. Even if it was due to health reasons." It's worse then reading Buckyville.

Most of the comments were decent but there definitely were some that were very out there. Interesting the number of people that seem to have seizures and strokes mixed up.

Kill will make $2.1 million next season as part of a deal through 2018, but he said he wouldn’t have signed the contract if not for the provision that puts the Minnesota assistant salary pool in the top six in the Big Ten.

Kill's staff has had incredible continuity. A number of assistants have been with him for more than a decade across multiple stops, and Miller is the first to leave Kill's Minnesota staff (since 2011).

“I wouldn’t have signed the contract. It’s that simple,” Kill said. “I think that’s just the way it is. The president understood that. So did (athletic director Norwood Teague). That’s more important to me, because we’ve all worked together. The administration realized that — that we’ve got good coaches and need to keep that where it needs to be. We win a few more games, and maybe that changes, too. Life’s about taking increments.

“I care about my coaches. You can go interview any of them. They know what we’ve done together and how I’ve stood by them. That credit goes to the people up at the top. President Kaler wants to win. I don’t think there’s any question about it.”

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/Minnesotas-Jerry-Kill-I-wouldnt-have-signed-it-179172

Go Gophers!!

To be fair, diehard said "a quality football program being built". I don't think anyone feels that we're all the way there. But we are definitely headed in the right direction, and we should appreciate that and enjoy the good times.

Consider whom you are quoting before you try to use reason.

Moos is a NDSU fan trolling here. In his/her 40 posts, 15 have been a predict the score guess, and surprise, surprise, he has the Gophers going 0-15 in those games (including 1 football game).

Go Gophers!

Don't think of pay as only a means of compensation for existing talent alone. Putting a marker out there that we will not pay below a certain conference standard not only helps retain coaches, but attract other coaches in case we need to replace staff. It is part of a compensation strategy to attract and retain top talent. If we were always in the bottom of pay, which we were, we are announcing to the world that we are investing in success and will continue to do so over the long term. This is an important statement to make to the marketplace. It also is a statement that our staff is producing to expectations for this point in the program, which I agree they are doing a bang up job. The team is getting more balanced and deeper in several important areas with talent. The team is more cohesive. The defense has climbed a mountain and remains a potentially strong area. The offense can only improve with experience and added talent at key positions. I look for an addition 1-2 victories next year on top of what the team did last year. You pay for expected performance as well.

Don't think of pay as only a means of compensation for existing talent alone. Putting a marker out there that we will not pay below a certain conference standard not only helps retain coaches, but attract other coaches in case we need to replace staff. It is part of a compensation strategy to attract and retain top talent. If we were always in the bottom of pay, which we were, we are announcing to the world that we are investing in success and will continue to do so over the long term. This is an important statement to make to the marketplace. It also is a statement that our staff is producing to expectations for this point in the program, which I agree they are doing a bang up job. The team is getting more balanced and deeper in several important areas with talent. The team is more cohesive. The defense has climbed a mountain and remains a potentially strong area. The offense can only improve with experience and added talent at key positions. I look for an addition 1-2 victories next year on top of what the team did last year. You pay for expected performance as well.

Agree. Not sure about the 1-2 additional victories next year though. Possible.

Having the worst facilities and the lowest paid coach pretty much says: "We strive to be the worst".

St. Cloud Times: DeLand column: Kill's deal shows the system is broken

But this was the second raise and extension in three years for a coach who has lost two-thirds of his conference games, and 100 percent of his bowl games. In that regard, Kill’s contract seems like an exercise in excess.

Kill went from being the lowest-paid head coach in the Big Ten to the middle of the pack (No. 6).

Is it then reasonable to expect that the Gophers themselves will consistently be in the middle of the pack? They were last season (4-4 Big Ten, tied for sixth overall), but generally haven’t been for more than four decades.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/2014...ill-s-deal-shows-system-broken?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily Editorial Board: Kill’s raise, extension are premature
Jerry Kill has improved the Gophers, but a huge raise now isn’t wise.

We are confident Kill’s leadership has significantly improved the team’s record during his time as head coach. But after such an unusual, precarious season that only showed modest gains for the program, we are less confident at this time that Kill deserves a multimillion-dollar raise.

http://www.mndaily.com/opinion/editorials/2014/02/27/kill’s-raise-extension-are-premature

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily Editorial Board: Kill’s raise, extension are premature
Jerry Kill has improved the Gophers, but a huge raise now isn’t wise.

We are confident Kill’s leadership has significantly improved the team’s record during his time as head coach. But after such an unusual, precarious season that only showed modest gains for the program, we are less confident at this time that Kill deserves a multimillion-dollar raise.

http://www.mndaily.com/opinion/editorials/2014/02/27/kill’s-raise-extension-are-premature

Go Gophers!!
Give me a break. The university is paying that guy peanuts it's almost like they should have offered Kill a 2.1 million dollar seven year deal three years ago. If Mn wants to be taken seriously they have to play with the big boys. This isn't the MIAC here. Sorry I disagree. ;)

Top Bottom