Ugh, Sean Foster de-commits from Minnesota

My point is that in over 50 years under how many coaches, we have not been a serious contender for the BiG title. It doesn't seem likely that we have hired nothing but bad coaches. It seems we ought to be looking for a more fundamental explanation for our poor performance.

You are way off! It's only been 47 seasons since we've been a serious contender!

Any chance TC did a stand up thing here.... "Hey Sean. You are going to be great. If you want to come here we will find a spot for you. However, to be fair, I want you to know we are changing our blocking scheme and it won't be to your advantage. If you want to reopen your recruitment to find a better fit for your skills - to reach your full potential, then we will help and support you on that. Your call, we just want to be upfront with you." ????

are we really to the point where we don't need a 4 star tackle? If that's where we're at, then I'm raising my expectations for next year

We're not shedding a 4-Star player. By decomitting, he dropped to a 2-Star per the sour-grapers of GH.

We're not shedding a 4-Star player. By decomitting, he dropped to a 2-Star per the sour-grapers of GH.

Also, I'm reading very little sour grapes towards Foster. I think there has been more negative towards gophers, and then some suggesting that we don't think he'll fit the new scheme. Only a couple suggesting he might not be worthy of 4 stars.

Patrick Kasl >> Sean Foster. Kasl has the athleticism and meanness that Claeys is looking for, and Kill/Limegrover didn't offer. What a whiff.

Patrick Kasl >> Sean Foster. Kasl has the athleticism and meanness that Claeys is looking for, and Kill/Limegrover didn't offer. What a whiff.

Maybe true, but at the time it was what Kill wanted that mattered.

I might. If he's highly recruited he's probably capable of some other position if he'd agree to that. Or I might not switch to the triple option if he's that good. In any case, as hard as it is for us to recruit good talent to Minneapolis, we shouldn't be discarding any. And I doubt if we did in Foster's case. He probably got jittery and decided to seek another option.

Maybe they wanted him at another position and he didn't agree to it. No one knows what happened or why.

Arguing about whether a High School kid is going be good college player always seems odd. Odder still if the kid doesn't turn out to be good and people blame the coaching staff, rather than admitting that he might not have been that good in the first place.

At least the NFL has some game film and scouting where the college kids actually play 3-4 games a year, maybe 14-16 games in a career against players/teams with equal talent.

Can't happen often in High School can it?

I might. If he's highly recruited he's probably capable of some other position if he'd agree to that. Or I might not switch to the triple option if he's that good. In any case, as hard as it is for us to recruit good talent to Minneapolis, we shouldn't be discarding any. And I doubt if we did in Foster's case. He probably got jittery and decided to seek another option.

Well yeah if it is an Andrew Luck type talent. But we're not talking about that.

he likes to throw little guys around and his arms gets to the outside of the defender pretty quick (i.e. holding on MN OL)( great block at Iowa)

tough to compare since I dont have a level of competition but he helped up two defenders at the same time liek rag dolls so he might be kind of strong (but maybe too nice for helping them up)

Sad to see this...wish the kid the best of luck. Two ways to look at it-

1. Claeys vision of what he's looking for is so defined and he's so confident in it- that we don't need the kid.
2. Claeys is an idiot.

Time will tell.

"Although frustrated at not having the chance to suit up for Minnesota, Foster is excited about jumping back into his recruiting."

This says all I need to know. Thanks for posting that!

Sad to see this...wish the kid the best of luck. Two ways to look at it-

1. Claeys vision of what he's looking for is so defined and he's so confident in it- that we don't need the kid.
2. Claeys is an idiot.

Time will tell.

There are far more than two ways to look at it.

I dunno. Pretty sure we read identical posts when Teague fired Tubby. You had to be nuts to think a plan wasn't in place and that Teague knew who he wanted to hire. Then...

What is you obsession with Tubby?

Changing coaches is a two step process. First you get rid of the current coach, THEN you hire a new coach. Most of the time, the new coach is not "lined-up" before you fire the old coach. You may have some people in mind and you may discuss some possibilities with people, but no promises or commitments can be made until you are cleared to hire the new coach and it is "approved" by the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say our 2 star recruits have often been our best. Rivals and the like can find the kid who is 17 and can start right away. I bet I could take 5 sharp posters on this board and analyze every player in MN, and do as well as rivals picking the 10 best.

There are 5 "sharp posters" on this board? Who are these guys? lol

Liaison Man: You mean for this "space race", you don't want our best pilots?
Recruiter: I didn't say that. We want the best pilots that we can get.
The Right Stuff

Isn't that where we are as a lower-half program in a second tier conference? The SEC is going to get most of the best talent. The other 4 will get the rest. The BiG is the lowest ranked among the P5 and OSU, MI, MSU, and PSU are going to get the best of what's left of the rest. We are competing for prospects who have been passed by all of those schools. How do we become a top program? Some say we can't. But I'm old enough to remember when WI was worse than we are and they built their program to be top 25. IA is occasionally damn good. NE is not what they were, but they are still formidable. So it can be done here. But what I keep asking is what do WI, IA, NE have (or not have) that we don't have (or have) that allows them to recruit better than we can? I don't see that anyone wants to discuss this, research this, or solve this. We keep focusing on individual players and dismiss the notion that there is a fundamental cause for our recruiting difficulties.

Liaison Man: You mean for this "space race", you don't want our best pilots?
Recruiter: I didn't say that. We want the best pilots that we can get.
The Right Stuff

Isn't that where we are as a lower-half program in a second tier conference? The SEC is going to get most of the best talent. The other 4 will get the rest. The BiG is the lowest ranked among the P5 and OSU, MI, MSU, and PSU are going to get the best of what's left of the rest. We are competing for prospects who have been passed by all of those schools. How do we become a top program? Some say we can't. But I'm old enough to remember when WI was worse than we are and they built their program to be top 25. IA is occasionally damn good. NE is not what they were, but they are still formidable. So it can be done here. But what I keep asking is what do WI, IA, NE have (or not have) that we don't have (or have) that allows them to recruit better than we can? I don't see that anyone wants to discuss this, research this, or solve this. We keep focusing on individual players and dismiss the notion that there is a fundamental cause for our recruiting difficulties.

I don't agree with that. Yes, the SEC has the most talent overall but the rest of the conferences are pretty even in my opinion. Right now the Big Ten has four teams ranked in the top 15 in the 2016 recruiting rankings (247 sports).

Based on average FPI rankings, the Big Ten is the weakest Power 5 conference; it has an average FPI ranking of 49 (out of 128 FBS schools), six spots lower than the ACC. The Big Ten also has four teams ranked 75th or worse in FPI, two more than any other Power 5 conference.Sep 23, 2015 http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/p...nkings-weakest-of-power-5-a-consideration-too

The FPI sucks. It currently has 3-9 Georgia Tech at #34.

It also ranks teams, not recruiting talent.

The FPI sucks. It currently has 3-9 Georgia Tech at #34.

It also ranks teams, not recruiting talent.

OK, disagree with FPI and think that the BiG is the second strongest conference. How does that affect my argument that WI, IA, and NE all do better, over the last several decades than we do? Or do you disagree with that, too?

Oh, and re your statement "It also ranks teams, not recruiting talent" are you suggesting that recruiting success and team success are not correlative?

What I'd love to read is your opinion about why WI, IA, and NE do better than we do despite their geographic similarity. What advantages do they have over us?

Not entirely true.

Kasl told the Gophers not to bother to offer, it's not like he wouldn't have received a Gopher offer. He Kasl told the staff he wasn't coming here.

Kasl told the Gophers not to bother to offer, it's not like he wouldn't have received a Gopher offer. He Kasl told the staff he wasn't coming here.

So even though he had zero offers and claimed to be Gophers fan growing up, he didn't want an offer?

OK, disagree with FPI and think that the BiG is the second strongest conference. How does that affect my argument that WI, IA, and NE all do better, over the last several decades than we do? Or do you disagree with that, too?

Oh, and re your statement "It also ranks teams, not recruiting talent" are you suggesting that recruiting success and team success are not correlative?

What I'd love to read is your opinion about why WI, IA, and NE do better than we do despite their geographic similarity. What advantages do they have over us?

For years better stadiums and facilities, they're located in college towns with much better local support. Better game day atmosphere. More dedication from administration

Top Bottom