Ugh, Sean Foster de-commits from Minnesota

are we really to the point where we don't need a 4 star tackle? If that's where we're at, then I'm raising my expectations for next year

We just had a 4-star Guard leave the program after 4 years of not being able to see the field.

are we really to the point where we don't need a 4 star tackle? If that's where we're at, then I'm raising my expectations for next year

I'm admittedly not an expert HS OL evaluator but I do know (and anyone that pays any attention to MN recruiting knows) that this staff doesn't care at all about rankings or stars and they trust their own evaluations. There's also a lot of projection with this stuff and we also know the staff really values SR tape more than many others. Point is they're not viewing Foster as a '4 star' and may well think there are other OL they're on that are better than him, just like how they sometimes prioritize players that are rated very low as they likely view them as better than other players rated higher

Not a huge hoops fan. Please explain.

Monson was the Gonzaga head coach when we hired him. Mark Few was on Monson's staff at Gonzaga and took over after Monson left. Gonzaga has had a nice run since then.

Guessing he means Claeys is the brains behind the operation. Dan Monson was the HC at Gonzaga and when MN hired him away few took over and took the program even further while Monson's career plateaued, insinuating that Few was the real driving force behind the Zags success

Monson was the Gonzaga head coach when we hired him. Mark Few was on Monson's staff at Gonzaga and took over after Monson left. Gonzaga has had a nice run since then.

Yep.

We just had a 4-star Guard leave the program after 4 years of not being able to see the field.

If you factor everything in, our 3 star recruits have probably out-performed our 4 star recruits the past 10 years. You can fill a whole page of 4 star recruits we have signed that amounted to pretty much nothing. Based on what I've seen since Kill got here I will trust our coaches evaluations 100% of the time over a star ranking.

If you factor everything in, our 3 star recruits have probably out-performed our 4 star recruits the past 10 years. You can fill a whole page of 4 star recruits we have signed that amounted to pretty much nothing. Based on what I've seen since Kill got here I will trust our coaches evaluations 100% of the time over a star ranking.

I would say our 2 star recruits have often been our best. Rivals and the like can find the kid who is 17 and can start right away. I bet I could take 5 sharp posters on this board and analyze every player in MN, and do as well as rivals picking the 10 best.

What's B.S.? We will have 8 FR/RSFR on the roster for OL in 2016. Claeys might feel he needs a DT or an OL/DT athlete. He's not going to F with in-state guys scholarships unless it's a last resort. Let's let it play out and see where he ends up. I think Claeys wants versatility and not a 6'8" one position player.

6'8 280lbs Foster, not quite as versatile as, say... 6'4 334lbs Vincent Calhoun....Who's not an in-state recruit.

Your move.

I think any top lineman can play any scheme-- what are we moving from power running to only pass blocking-- it makes no sense and I agree with you that it is very off that this kid couldn't fit into whatever they are planning

You have no idea what you are talking about so maybe you should shut your pie hole. Blocking schemes are incredibly diverse and depending on what we are looking at regarding pulling, reach blocks, down field, etc. it matters. Especially if the player in question has tight hips and can't pull effectively. That same player could be awesome in one system and terrible in another.

I said from the moment coaches were let go that Claeys knew what he wanted and he is clearly going after it. Got rid of a QB who should be a TE, a wrong sized Tackle and as for the Webber the DE, I think we just lost him to a team getting ready to play in the playoffs this year that is closer to his home.

6'8 280lbs Foster, not quite as versatile as, say... 6'4 334lbs Vincent Calhoun....Who's not an in-state recruit.

Your move.

Versatility is a much more secondary concern IMO. He wants either a different kind of player on the OL, or he saw plenty of film on Foster and doesn't think he's very good. Obviously, he thinks Calhoun can push for playing time right away.

What exactly do we "deserve" as fans? I'm serious. This idea that just because you root for a team, you "deserve" a winning program makes me want to laugh. It's your choice to follow or root for a team. There is no guarantee that the team you choose to follow will be good. I have friends who are Cub fans. they suffer every season, and have gone their entire lives without seeing the Cubs in a World Series. Remember - the worst team in every sport has fans. I know a guy who is a Philadelphia 76'ers fan. Think he's having fun this year?

I have followed Gopher FB since the mid-60's. I enjoy the good seasons, and I suffer through the bad seasons. But, I NEVER have felt that I "deserve" something from the gophers. It's my choice to root for the Gophers. I never knew that being a fan of a team gave you some kind of right to demand a certain level of excellence. If being a fan of the Gophers is not providing the type of experience you want, you are free to root for another team. or just sit and home and gnash your teeth because the world is not working out the way you want.
'

Short Ornery, I'm with you 100%. There's a related issue that gets me too. It's actually quite a bit easier to see this in fans of other teams. A few years back, as MSU was coming out of the John L Smith era, a Michigan State fan said something like how they shouldn't tolerate mediocrity in football. It kind of left me speechless - as in, what the heck are you gonna do about it? If a team does poorly for a while, you fire the coach and try somebody new. But how are we as fans gonna "hold our team accountable" or some other crap, like we have a real say in whether they win or lose on Saturday.

From what I hear it sounds like Tracy and Co. wants athletic lineman with a mean streak who can plow in the running game. Apparently during in-house consultation they decided that Foster did not fit that mold. It's obvious from this past season we were missing physicality up front. Need to get that back.

Your move.
Really? Comparing a senior tackle in HS to a JC transfer guard? They obviously see a need for a guard ASAP.

If you're upset about this because Foster is rated 4 stars you need to re-think your stance. First of all, Foster's offer list doesn't really scream 4-star to me. Second, his dad played at Iowa. Iowa has been much better at sending O-Linemen to the NFL than Limegrover, and Iowa didn't offer.

If you're upset about this because Foster is rated 4 stars you need to re-think your stance. First of all, Foster's offer list doesn't really scream 4-star to me. Second, his dad played at Iowa. Iowa has been much better at sending O-Linemen to the NFL than Limegrover, and Iowa didn't offer.

I'm more upset because our O-Line had moments where they really struggled this year. When the injuries started happening it was clear we weren't very deep at positions we were expecting to be strengths before the season started. I agree on the 4 stars part. Our coaches have proven that they can find great players who have lower star ratings. Here's to hoping they can find someone better than Foster.

This is why I didn't enter the fold that a lot did with the
"i'm glad Limegrover is gone" rhetoric, because I felt it would
have HUGE implications. It already cost us two recruits, including
a 4-star OT that we cannot just replace. We cannot.

1) After Kill's departure, Limegrover's offenses played VERY well,
at the level I had hoped for all year, despite injuries. Limey's O
outplayed Claey's defenses, which cost us a lot of games. I know,
injuries, we were out 3-4 o-lineman all year, he found a way.

2) If you ask the University to hire you for continuity to save
recruits, you don't fire the ******* OC and lose two recruits.
(more to come? highly likely. goodbye Snelson? bank on it)

Claeys comes off to me just as stubborn as Kill, probably
more so now... Firing Limey was a huge mistake. He sealed his fate.

I did a quick check on Rivals when Limegrover was fired and he was listed as the assistant credited with all of the O-line commitments (I think it was a tag team with Sherels on one) so it's obvious he did a fair amount of recruiting. Maybe he wasn't so great at the teaching of technique, but I think he gets a bit of a bum rap on the play-calling. I cannot say it is absolutely the case, but Limegrover (and maybe Zembroski and by extension Claeys) really opened up the offense after Kill stepped down.

So if we brought in a coach that wants to run the triple option and you have a highly recruited QB who isn't very athletic committed, you just keep him and find a way to make it work?

Who knows if it will all work out, we'll jut have to see.

I might. If he's highly recruited he's probably capable of some other position if he'd agree to that. Or I might not switch to the triple option if he's that good. In any case, as hard as it is for us to recruit good talent to Minneapolis, we shouldn't be discarding any. And I doubt if we did in Foster's case. He probably got jittery and decided to seek another option.

Interesting how star-rating drops when a player leaves our program.

Interesting how star-rating drops when a player leaves our program.
True to a degree.

The part you may not be considering is that some posters aren't going to openly disparage a recruit who has verbally committed.

The theme from "Shaft" won the Academy Award for best original song...

Good one.

As per the Limegrover firing, I know a lot of folks in here really detest Reusse (I don't), but I think what he said in reaction to a question may be closer to the truth than some think. When the King is dead, there's sometimes a fight between the princes. The prince who wins usually sends the losing prince to the hinterlands. Just because these guys have been together forever doesn't mean they like, or perhaps even respect, each other. I think another angle may be that Claeys said to Limegrover, "It's the O-line or the O-coordinator" and Limegrover, who has admitted in the past that he's a bit cocky, took that as an affront and said "No" even though the workload was killing him. Just spitballing here.

I did a quick check on Rivals when Limegrover was fired and he was listed as the assistant credited with all of the O-line commitments (I think it was a tag team with Sherels on one) so it's obvious he did a fair amount of recruiting. Maybe he wasn't so great at the teaching of technique, but I think he gets a bit of a bum rap on the play-calling. I cannot say it is absolutely the case, but Limegrover (and maybe Zembroski and by extension Claeys) really opened up the offense after Kill stepped down.

Doesn't matter if he got a bum rap or not. He never had an offense finish higher than 69th in the time he was here. Whether the issue was playcalling, teaching, scheme, etc, it falls on him

Doesn't matter if he got a bum rap or not. He never had an offense finish higher than 69th in the time he was here. Whether the issue was playcalling, teaching, scheme, etc, it falls on him

Right, because so many previous coaches going back to 1961 have had such remarkable success here.

Right, because so many previous coaches going back to 1961 have had such remarkable success here.

That's a terrible argument. This is a team who, until being decimated by injuries, has had a defense worthy of competing for a B10 title for 3 years but hasn't had an offense that has been even average during that time. This isn't 20 years ago. It's right now. If you're comfortable with 'well its better than it was in 2008' then I'm certainly glad our coaches have higher standards they're aspiring to

Good one.

As per the Limegrover firing, I know a lot of folks in here really detest Reusse (I don't), but I think what he said in reaction to a question may be closer to the truth than some think. When the King is dead, there's sometimes a fight between the princes. The prince who wins usually sends the losing prince to the hinterlands. Just because these guys have been together forever doesn't mean they like, or perhaps even respect, each other. I think another angle may be that Claeys said to Limegrover, "It's the O-line or the O-coordinator" and Limegrover, who has admitted in the past that he's a bit cocky, took that as an affront and said "No" even though the workload was killing him. Just spitballing here.

Meh. We all knew the pecking order, including them. It was obvious that Claeys was the #2.

The other part about Claeys maybe not wanting to continue with Limegrover because he didn't think as highly of him as Kill did, well, yeah, that's obvious.

We don't always share the same opinion of our co-workers as our bosses.

That's a terrible argument. This is a team who, until being decimated by injuries, has had a defense worthy of competing for a B10 title for 3 years but hasn't had an offense that has been even average during that time. This isn't 20 years ago. It's right now. If you're comfortable with 'well its better than it was in 2008' then I'm certainly glad our coaches have higher standards they're aspiring to

I don't know

2015-
Conference Rank:
Scoring Offense - 9th
Scoring Defense - 10th
Total Offense - 9th
Total Defense - 9th

2014 -
Scoring Offense - 6th
Scoring Defense - 6th
Total Offense - 6th
Total Defense - 7th

Teague had several plans

Teague had a plan, it didn't work, thought it was pretty obvious he thought could get Shaka Smart to follow him

they just didn't happen for him. He also thought he could get Brad Stevens. He hired Beth for that purpose. That didn't work either.

My point is that in over 50 years under how many coaches, we have not been a serious contender for the BiG title. It doesn't seem likely that we have hired nothing but bad coaches. It seems we ought to be looking for a more fundamental explanation for our poor performance.

Top Bottom