U of M Announces Alcohol Sales Policies at TCF Bank Stadium

How would serving alcohol increase "student" attendance?

It won't increase attendance in the Gophers Stadium in any way. However, it will increase revenue to the U athletics department and allow responsible, Gopher football loving, tuition paying, season ticket buying, and tax paying adults to enjoy a beer while watching their favorite football team play in a publically-owned stadium they helped to build.

It won't increase attendance in the Gophers Stadium in any way. However, it will increase revenue to the U athletics department and allow responsible, Gopher football loving, tuition paying, season ticket buying, and tax paying adults to enjoy a beer while watching their favorite football team play in a publically-owned stadium they helped to build.

For goodness sake. This is Minnesota. We take our kids to restaurants where beer is served all the time. Beer isn't the cause of all of life's problems. This isn't the end of the world. It would seem this is as well regulated as the beer garden at your county fair.

But really, there are no bad incidents at professional games.

Yeah, the game day judge and in-stadium jail cells that Philly used to have were probably just for show.

A few things:
+ Interesting (?) that I've heard non-alcoholic beverages will be served at the beer concession stands. Maybe add that in once you get a grip on things, but if you're unsure how crazy the lines are going to be... I'm struggling to figure out why? Perhaps more of a show.. 'we want to offer water and alternatives to alcohol! la la la' Maybe it makes sense. I don't know the buying tendencies of people in a situation like this. I suppose if your buddy is going to get a beer and you want him to grab you a coke, this is helpful.

+ Alcohol sales are desired to bring people into the venue, especially suites & other premium tickets. I believe the U has stated an estimated sales figure of 7,000 units (alcohol) - I find this estimate to be far too low, but I suppose if you make people wait long enough to could control the number if desired. Anyway, 7,000 x $7.25 = $50.8k. How much does the U earn of that? Deduct the additional expenses incurred and if 7,000 units is the number, the profit on the actual alcohol sales is minimal.

+ My issue is the pussyfooting and flip flopping that has been done here. They could have done this on day 1 at TCF Bank and they didn't. They came out and boasted how their principles were such that selling alcohol to everyone didn't fit in with the 'U'.

Now they've reversed course. Instead of being silent or just being upfront when they speak about it, we hear about "a beer garden" and "overflow", and "respect for the Tribal Nations Plaza" and the evil legislature.

Just be real about it - we'll likely see beer sold at more points throughout the stadium in the near future. The reason why beer and wine is being sold this year is because people aren't flocking to the beautiful new stadium to watch this program try and grow. Minnesota is looking for help in selling the program and they are willing to change and compromise their previously stated principles in order to earn more dollars via attendance, especially in the premium seats.

I get it. However, a better path to have taken would have been to say on day 1 of the move to TCF that "selling alcohol gives us a competitive advantage in selling our product of Minnesota football. We take student drinking, irresponsible drinking by anyone, etc. very seriously and we are extremely sensitive to acting on doing our best to ensure we limit any issues and handle them head on. We've played at a stadium that has served the masses for years - for the most part, we feel our fans - students and others alike - have behaved responsibly. Therefore, beer will be available for sale at TCF Bank stadium just like it was at the Metrodome - no change, except we'll keep a closer eye on students, blah blah blah".

That is 100 times better than flip flopping after patting yourself on the back for your outstanding principles because you're no longer attracting people to the stadium.

However, this year's change is still goofy and they'll probably grow it from a silly two-location deal (i.e., "oooh look, it's on the opposite end of the 3k student season ticket holders! they'd have to walk over to grab a couple of beers for them and a pal!") to selling it at many more locations throughout the stadium - which just makes sense. Why in the world would you not? (see quote above - look, opposite end, we're being responsible!) Look at the damn issue, think it through more fully and make some damn real decisions.

Do people find my viewpoint on this strange or believe that I'm missing something?

Ugh, anyway. Looking forward to being back at the Bank tomorrow. I bet all UNH fans are wine-at-football-game-drinkers. Attendance figure will be solid; 3rd quarter exit will be heavy.

You might want to check out YouTube. There are hundreds of fan fights on there, mostly at NFL games. Some of them are disturbing and frightening, especially the ones with small children nearby.

Personally, I have no issue with serving beer at games. There will always be knuckleheads in any large crowd, regardless of where and when alcohol is served.

That said, the NFL more or less promotes drunken idiocy. Not overtly, but more of a wink wink, nudge nudge thing. The last Vikings game I went to was a Monday Night game a long time ago, and I'd guess about 75% of the fans were, if not hammered, not far off. I like to drink beer. I like to drink beer a LOT, but I don't like to put up with drunken idiots who like to act as such in public.

From what I've heard and read, that's pretty much par for the course in most NFL stadiums. Two years ago I was in Cleveland the weekend of the Browns-Jets game, staying within walking distance of the stadium. The number of drunken morons around was astounding even from my perspective, and I'm pretty tolerant of such things.

I don't think this is going to be a big concern at Gopher games. It's a different crowd and different mindset.

Personally, I have no issue with serving beer at games. There will always be knuckleheads in any large crowd, regardless of where and when alcohol is served.

That said, the NFL more or less promotes drunken idiocy. Not overtly, but more of a wink wink, nudge nudge thing. The last Vikings game I went to was a Monday Night game a long time ago, and I'd guess about 75% of the fans were, if not hammered, not far off. I like to drink beer. I like to drink beer a LOT, but I don't like to put up with drunken idiots who like to act as such in public.

From what I've heard and read, that's pretty much par for the course in most NFL stadiums. Two years ago I was in Cleveland the weekend of the Browns-Jets game, staying within walking distance of the stadium. The number of drunken morons around was astounding even from my perspective, and I'm pretty tolerant of such things.

I don't think this is going to be a big concern at Gopher games. It's a different crowd and different mindset.

Same here. It was against da bears. Granted it was a Halloween game but wow.

Since I was a smoker back then, I went to the lobby area a couple of times for smoke.
Drunk running one way, cops chasing after. Drunk running the other way, cops chasing after.

End result; I witnessed more arrests made than points scored.

Please stop with the beer garden attracting students whom 90% are under age and wouldn't buy a $7 beer anyway. They will bring in the 151 rum and buy cokes. I am sure the beer garden, unlike voting will have an extensive ID check.

Do people find my viewpoint on this strange or believe that I'm missing something?.

The U is not flip-flopping. It's called compromising.

The U never wanted to sell to the entire stadium and the 'beer garden' was not an option until this year.

Selling in the suites and premium areas is what's done in the vast majority of college stadiums...so it is nothing unique or back patting.

Don't be so sure beer will be sold in additional locations......remains to be seen.
There's just as good of a chance the beer garden goes away.

The U is not flip-flopping. It's called compromising.

The U never wanted to sell to the entire stadium and the 'beer garden' was not an option until this year.

Not factual. They could have done this (what is being introduced today) on day one and chose not to. They also gave themselves a pat in the back for the decision.

They have flip flopped and now some Regents in no uncertain terms want very much to sell to the entire stadium & go so far as to say offering beer to college students fits in with the educational mission of the University.

Not factual. They could have done this (what is being introduced today) on day one and chose not to. They also gave themselves a pat in the back for the decision.

They have flip flopped and now some Regents in no uncertain terms want very much to sell to the entire stadium & go so far as to say offering beer to college students fits in with the educational mission of the University.

BS

Some Regents = minority

Is "BS" your code for "I'm ignorant"? Have you sat through board meetings and read rules and regulations on this matter?

The word the U can point to is "convenient". They can pass off the expansion of beer sales to more than the two current sites as compliance with the State's bill. "It's really not fair to make people from way over on the other side of the stadium walk so far. We have people of all types and abilities enjoy our stadium and we need to make things more accessible to them equally, blah blah blah"

Is "BS" your code for "I'm ignorant"? Have you sat through board meetings and read rules and regulations on this matter?

The word the U can point to is "convenient". They can pass off the expansion of beer sales to more than the two current sites as compliance with the State's bill. "It's really not fair to make people from way over on the other side of the stadium walk so far. We have people of all types and abilities enjoy our stadium and we need to make things more accessible to them equally, blah blah blah"

I have no idea where the ignorant comment came from.

No I have not sat through board meetings. Have you?

You stated " They could have done this (what is being introduced today) on day one and chose not to."

They introduced a 'beer garden' today and did not sell beer in the entire stadium as per the legislature agreement that was reached between last season and this season.

I you want beer sold in the entire stadium that is a different issue.

I have no idea where the ignorant comment came from. No I have not sat through board meetings. Have you?

I was asking if you don't agree with me out of ignorance. Thank you for confirming that this is the case. Yes, I have made it through some of the board meetings (even stayed awake for most of them).

You stated " They could have done this (what is being introduced today) on day one and chose not to."

They introduced a 'beer garden' today and did not sell beer in the entire stadium as per the legislature agreement that was reached between last season and this season.

The "legislature agreement" absolutely does not say beer cannot be sold in the entire stadium. It's clear that you neither know what the bill said a few years ago, nor what the bill from about six months ago said. There are ~30 beer cashiers at TCF Bank stadium, ready to do business with anyone of age. You're saying, "BS" to me based on your ignorance.

I you want beer sold in the entire stadium that is a different issue.

Beer is sold to everyone of age in the entire stadium. Is Kramarczuk's not sold in the entire Target Field stadium? Anyone in the stadium can go get it.

GW seems a pretty important figure in Gopher athletics. Seems to be at all the important meetings and has all the important documents. Norwood better watch out or GW might just take the AD job from under his nose.

I was asking if you don't agree with me out of ignorance. Thank you for confirming that this is the case. Yes, I have made it through some of the board meetings (even stayed awake for most of them).

The "legislature agreement" absolutely does not say beer cannot be sold in the entire stadium. It's clear that you neither know what the bill said a few years ago, nor what the bill from about six months ago said. There are ~30 beer cashiers at TCF Bank stadium, ready to do business with anyone of age. You're saying, "BS" to me based on your ignorance.

Beer is sold to everyone of age in the entire stadium. Is Kramarczuk's not sold in the entire Target Field stadium? Anyone in the stadium can go get it.

Instead of using your attempts at baiting why don't you just make your point straight up.

Tell me how the bill from six month ago did or didn't change the landscape.

Instead of using your attempts at baiting why don't you just make your point straight up.

Tell me how the bill from six month ago did or didn't change the landscape.

I FLIPPIN DID ALREADY! And that's what you jumped on. I said the U could have done what they introduced today three years ago.

In other words, the bill from ~April 2012 didn't change their ability to do exactly what they did today.

In other words, the U flip flopped. The discussion around it has been little more than makeup/dressing it up to try and make it nice and pretty. That's been my complaint - the pussyfooting. Just come out and say it: our ticket sales are not where we want them to be, so we're adjusting our "principles".

GW seems a pretty important figure in Gopher athletics. Seems to be at all the important meetings and has all the important documents. Norwood better watch out or GW might just take the AD job from under his nose.

GW would be better served by just making his point instead of trying to look superior to everyone.

I FLIPPIN DID ALREADY! And that's what you jumped on. I said the U could have done what they introduced today three years ago.

In other words, the bill from ~April 2012 didn't change their ability to do exactly what they did today.

In other words, the U flip flopped. The discussion around it has been little more than makeup/dressing it up to try and make it nice and pretty. That's been my complaint - the pussyfooting. Just come out and say it: our ticket sales are not where we want them to be, so we're adjusting our "principles".

So the bill from six months ago was totally meaningless?

So the bill from six months ago was totally meaningless?

No. To repeat: the U could have done what they introduced today three years ago.

The bill did a lot of things - only a small piece of it deals with the U. With respect to alcohol and the U, the changes included: expanding the requirement of public sales at a Gophers FB games such they must be made in a location (at least one) that is convenient to the all of the general public attending the game. Again, the U could have done what they did today three years ago, with the bill previously passed a few years ago in place. They chose not to and cited that such a practice doesn't fit in with their 'principles' and the institution's primary mission,... and it sends the wrong message, etc...

The 'new' bill also allows the U to serve "only the elite" at various venues other than TCF Bank, including at bball & hockey games.

I think I have a tendency to lean toward GW on the yellow liquid contest. He says things, and people ask him to say things, which is what he has already done several times. If there is beer at the Bank, so be it. If there is no beer at the Bank, so be it. What is, is. What will be will be. All I care is I am not pushing up daisies yet, so I don't care either way. My gin and tonic at home is still good.

You didn't explain anything. The bill from April 2012 did change the game for the U in allowing them to sell from one location only as long as it was loosely defined as "convenient" for the general seating fans. Also, can you prove to anyone here that the U has 30 locations throughout the concourse set up to sell beer? I'm quite certain that, given the original proposal for the alcohol sales situation and the late-ness of the 2009 legislative ruling, there are no kegs, taps, or any other equipment located in ANY concourse concession stands. Why would they put it in if they never intended to sell beer in those locations? You're wrong.

The U did not flip-flop. They did this begrudgingly because they finally reached an agreement that allowed them to sell it in a location that had the highest chance of keeping alcohol out of student's hands while allowing liquor in the premium seating areas. They "patted themselves on the back" by creating a positive marketing spin on the story - heaven forbid they do that considering all the negative press the U received on the issue in the first place (despite it not being their fault or any different than 98% of the rest of the country). You're complaining just to complain.

I think I have a tendency to lean toward GW on the yellow liquid contest. He says things, and people ask him to say things, which is what he has already done several times. If there is beer at the Bank, so be it. If there is no beer at the Bank, so be it. What is, is. What will be will be. All I care is I am not pushing up daisies yet, so I don't care either way. My gin and tonic at home is still good.

It was my understanding that selling beer in a 'beer garden'(as opposed to the whole stadium) was an agreement reached by the legislature after last season.

It was my understanding(and I think that of most people) that until the last bill was passed, the U had to sell it in the entire stadium if they wanted to sell to the suites. Meaning selling it in a 'beer garden' would not satisfy the original bill and allow them to sell in the suites.

If I am wrong fine, but gw should then state that. And what was the bill passed six month ago all about? This multiple posts to make his point is ridiculous.

You didn't explain anything. The bill from April 2012 did change the game for the U in allowing them to sell from one location only as long as it was loosely defined as "convenient" for the general seating fans. Also, can you prove to anyone here that the U has 30 locations throughout the concourse set up to sell beer? I'm quite certain that, given the original proposal for the alcohol sales situation and the late-ness of the 2009 legislative ruling, there are no kegs, taps, or any other equipment located in ANY concourse concession stands. Why would they put it in if they never intended to sell beer in those locations? You're wrong.

The U did not flip-flop. They did this begrudgingly because they finally reached an agreement that allowed them to sell it in a location that had the highest chance of keeping alcohol out of student's hands while allowing liquor in the premium seating areas. They "patted themselves on the back" by creating a positive marketing spin on the story - heaven forbid they do that considering all the negative press the U received on the issue in the first place (despite it not being their fault or any different than 98% of the rest of the country). You're complaining just to complain.

Thanks

I'm still waiting for gw to explain what the new bill was all about if "The U could have done from day one what they did today". HE DIDN'T FLIPPIN EXPLAIN.:rolleyes:

Also, can you prove to anyone here that the U has 30 locations throughout the concourse set up to sell beer? I'm quite certain that, given the original proposal for the alcohol sales situation and the late-ness of the 2009 legislative ruling, there are no kegs, taps, or any other equipment located in ANY concourse concession stands. Why would they put it in if they never intended to sell beer in those locations? You're wrong.

...They did this begrudgingly because they finally reached an agreement that allowed them to sell it in a location that had the highest chance of keeping alcohol out of student's hands while allowing liquor in the premium seating areas.

Sorry, you're wrong. Read what I've written - it's all there. And take care to read what's there, not what you're making up (i.e., "there are no kegs, taps, or any other yada yada yada" in response to me saying "There are ~30 beer cashiers at TCF Bank stadium, ready to do business with anyone of age.")

Others who were near or at the pretty concession stands setup to sell beer today may be able to verify that in the West Plaza area alone there were 24 cashiers machines operating - 6 per tent x 4 tents. I counted them with my own eyes, partner.

You've accepted the "begrudging... with their focus on the highest chance of keeping alcohol out of student's hands" line of thinking, whereas I'll tell you they flip flopped because of ticket sales. We can disagree on that. I wonder what you'll say, though, when they start selling at more than 2 locations and get closer and closer to the student section...

I'll say it's an obvious move and should have been done today. Having alcohol sold a 2 minute walk away from the student section didn't keep beer and wine away from students today - but at least you feel good about making them walk a couple hundred yards for it.

No. To repeat: the U could have done what they introduced today three years ago.

The bill did a lot of things - only a small piece of it deals with the U. With respect to alcohol and the U, the changes included: expanding the requirement of public sales at a Gophers FB games such they must be made in a location (at least one) that is convenient to the all of the general public attending the game. Again, the U could have done what they did today three years ago, with the bill previously passed a few years ago in place. They chose not to and cited that such a practice doesn't fit in with their 'principles' and the institution's primary mission,... and it sends the wrong message, etc...

The 'new' bill also allows the U to serve "only the elite" at various venues other than TCF Bank, including at bball & hockey games.

Sounds like a change to me.

Top Bottom