U of M Announces Alcohol Sales Policies at TCF Bank Stadium

ya, I realize they are probably trying to ease into this. But really, there are no bad incidents at professional games. And if there are, you don't hear about them. By charging $7.25 for a beer you are effectively eliminating many problems right there.
Umm...what? Maybe it's because I'm originally from Cleveland, but you'll see at least one drunken fight at every sporting event you go to in Ohio. Granted, I haven't seen that type of behavior from the obsessively polite Minnesotans, but nationally, alcohol consumption + sporting events = assholes.

What was your expectation, it's a beer garden for crying out loud? I don't want anyone on this board who has supported the beer garden to ever criticize the SEC again. You're twice the redneck they are now.

Exactly. Plus, by beer garden standards (which, are admittedly, low enough for a snail to hurdle over), this actually looks fairly nice.

This whole thing is an utter embarrassment and is beyond disgraceful for my University. Tomorrow will be a shameful, shameful day.

Exactly. Plus, by beer garden standards (which, are admittedly, low enough for a snail to hurdle over), this actually looks fairly nice.

This whole thing is an utter embarrassment and is beyond disgraceful for my University. Tomorrow will be a shameful, shameful day.

I don't know if I'd go as far as calling it disgraceful since the program has already had games in which alcohol was distributed, just not on campus. This is a more controlled version (hopefully) than what was at the dome (Lois Feldman). As for myself I may check it out at halftime during a couple games, but not while the game is in action. Spend a few bucks to go towards the program with an AD and Pres that have a better idea on how to invest it than the old regime.

My sobriety feels your pain.. but me thinks you are being a tad melodramatic, buddy. We'll see how many more drunkards we have to deal with at games (certainly going to be bad with Iowa/Becky fans visiting).

Locally based in northeast Minneapolis, J.J. Taylor will serve Minnesota-brewed Grain Belt and Summit Pale Ale beers, along with Miller Lite. Red and white wine, purchased through St. Paul based Johnson Brothers, will also be available.

Go Gophers!!

This is really the only important information in the entire press release.

That said, why Miller? Do they not know where that is brewed?!

I am not a fan of the beer garden, are they going to take some of the revenue for

Infrastructure improvements to the stadium. After all this will be non-budgeted for revenue as the original plan was to only sell this beer and wine in the club levels.
I sure would like to see the tunnel with the bare concrete walls in TCF
painted with some U of M pictures or some historic murals of the football team like they have in Marriucci arena.

It bugs me that concrete is a prevalent color in the stadium but you only had so much money to spend and small donors
like myself and a lot of others don't add up to a lot of dollars for construction. Thank you to the family or individuals that donated the money for the Brick facade, that at least made the stadium look more collegiate.
Anything is better than the blue seats and the stinking dirty roof at the Metrodome.

My sobriety feels your pain.. but me thinks you are being a tad melodramatic, buddy. We'll see how many more drunkards we have to deal with at games (certainly going to be bad with Iowa/Becky fans visiting).

Don't lump all us drunkards together, some of us enjoy a few too many in the lot and/or bring in our own!

This is really the only important information in the entire press release.

That said, why Miller? Do they not know where that is brewed?!

I'm going to guess it's because of the distribution contracts J.J. Taylor holds. That's why there isn't any Surly, b/c they don't have the rights to distribute it (h/t to FBT on that one).

Important Question - what is the over/under on the percentage of fans who will choose to drink wine instead of beer?

I will say a max of 5% - unless the Gophs are getting a higher # of fans from Edina these days.............

Don't lump all us drunkards together, some of us enjoy a few too many in the lot and/or bring in our own!

I know.. last year's game against Braska I had the dishonor of sitting next to a couple of beligerant Gopher fans that was only really interested in seeing the Huskers than they were the Gophs. Almost got myself in trouble as one kept hitting on my baby sister, too.

I'm going to guess it's because of the distribution contracts J.J. Taylor holds. That's why there isn't any Surly, b/c they don't have the rights to distribute it (h/t to FBT on that one).

Yeah, my post was in regards to JJ Taylor, not the U.

Umm...what? Maybe it's because I'm originally from Cleveland, but you'll see at least one drunken fight at every sporting event you go to in Ohio. Granted, I haven't seen that type of behavior from the obsessively polite Minnesotans, but nationally, alcohol consumption + sporting events = assholes.
C'mon! 1,000 posts and always overreacting.

Beer and wine will be sold only on the west plaza and in an overflow, cordoned off area outside of Gate A that is only accessible to fans attending the game. Care will be taken to create a visual and physical barrier between the points of sale and the Tribal Nations Plaza outside of Gate A. No alcohol will be allowed in that area. Non-alcoholic beverages will also be available for purchase where alcohol is sold.

Oh my, that's kinda poor planning. Whose idea was it to put the Beer Garden near the Tribal Nations Plaza? Stereotypes anyone? Whoever took the time to point that out in the press release and draw attention to it should be reprimanded, or is that what we have to do in today's PC world?

Why not just have beer at the concession stands, everyone knows this is the way it will be once the Vikings start playing their games there.

When a bunch of my friends join me at home and we get drunk together out in the yard by the campfire, my dog gets really ornery. He becomes meaner than a drunkyard dog.

Why not just have beer at the concession stands, everyone knows this is the way it will be once the Vikings start playing their games there.

Because I don't think this board could handle the length of the thread that would be created by people complaining about how long it now took to get a coke or hot dog at the concession stands.

$7.25 seems like a lot. I know its comparable with pro sports venues, but this isn't pro sports. I'm not asking for it to be really cheap like $4 but maybe a .25 to .50 less than Target Field. We are trying to build a fan base and I think they are missing the mark. Start low and then raise the price. Basic economics and marketing. Our apathetic fan base will just complain about that too. Also it's just going to make students get drunk before the game because they can't afford $7.25

$7.25 seems like a lot. I know its comparable with pro sports venues, but this isn't pro sports. I'm not asking for it to be really cheap like $4 but maybe a .25 to .50 less than Target Field. We are trying to build a fan base and I think they are missing the mark. Start low and then raise the price. Basic economics and marketing. Our apathetic fan base will just complain about that too. Also it's just going to make students get drunk before the game because they can't afford $7.25

Because .50 cheaper beer is going to build the fanbase? C'mon...

Pretty sure Grainbelt and Summit are $6.50 at Target Field. But that's for a 12oz. I assume these are going to be 16 oz, maybe 20 oz? So at $7.25 they are slightly cheaper. Pretty sure a big domestic is $8.25 at twins games. But what's $1 one way or the other once you're paying that much? Any word on what size the beers will be at TCF?

Because .50 cheaper beer is going to build the fanbase? C'mon...

Not saying it will but you would be surprised. Wal-Mart has used that pricing strategy for years. It's somewhere else for $19.99 they sell it for $18.47. Beside the point I am making is that they should expect people to throw out money like they do at Target Field. Trust me there will be a lot of complaining. So do a price comparison of other venues and start smaller.

Alcohol sales are nice but yes winning atmosphere and tailgating are waaaayyy more important in building it.

Didn't Lois Feldman say she was drinking wine before the the incident? That could be a bad omen.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=concessions

Items Locations Price
Domestic Various Stands and Portables $7.25/$8.25
Premium Various Stands and Portables $7.75/$8.75
Summit Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
Summit Seasonal Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
Grainbelt & Grainbelt Nordeast Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
Schell's Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
Finnigans Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
Leinenkugel Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
Leinenkugel Seasonal Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
Red Bridge Gluten Free Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
Lift Bridge Minnesota Brews Portables 126 and 320 $6.50
O'Doul's - N/A (12oz.) Most Permanent Stands and Club Level $4.00

Budweiser cans (24 oz.) Sections 126, 140 $10.00
Beck's cans (24 oz.) Sections 116, 317 $11.00
Grainbelt Nordeast cans (16 oz.) Vended in the stands $7.25
Surly Draft Section 124 $7.75/$8.75
Fulton Draft Townball Tavern $7.75/$8.75

I assume the $6.50 choices are 12 oz
I believe TCF will be 16 0z

Yes the size of the beer seems to be the big question. I can just see them selling 12oz for $7.25. I propose 16 oz for $7.00. No quarters to slow down the line.

It's a 2 year trial period. If it goes forward, I fully expect a permanent home(s) to look as good as the rest of the stadium. If the experiment should fail...oh crap I don't even want to imagine that thread.

I'd like a supporter of the beer garden to answer this question.

For the last 3 years, all we heard about was that serving alcohol would help increase attendance, especially student attendance. Yet from the numbers that have been floated out so far, tomorrow's attendance will be the lowest in the history of TCF Bank Stadium, despite giving away free tickets to the freshmen class. Please explain how this can be?

For the last 3 years, all we heard about was that serving alcohol would help increase attendance, especially student attendance. Yet from the numbers that have been floated out so far, tomorrow's attendance will be the lowest in the history of TCF Bank Stadium, despite giving away free tickets to the freshmen class. Please explain how this can be?

I don't recall ever hearing that.

Where did you hear that?

How would serving alcohol increase "student" attendance?

ya, I realize they are probably trying to ease into this. But really, there are no bad incidents at professional games. And if there are, you don't hear about them. By charging $7.25 for a beer you are effectively eliminating many problems right there.

You might want to check out YouTube. There are hundreds of fan fights on there, mostly at NFL games. Some of them are disturbing and frightening, especially the ones with small children nearby.

Top Bottom