U of M Announces Alcohol Sales Policies at TCF Bank Stadium

U of M Announces Alcohol Sales Policies at TCF Bank Stadium

University officials outlined policies, procedures and safety measures Thursday

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090612aab.html

University of Minnesota officials held a media briefing Thursday, Sept. 6 to discuss policies, procedures and safety measures related to alcohol sales at TCF Bank Stadium during football games. The university will also announce that J.J. Taylor Distributing has been selected as the beer vendor for TCF Bank Stadium.

Officials previewed the points of sale locations and discussed the implementation plan for beer and wine sales, approved by the university's Board of Regents on July 11. Legislation was passed during the 2012 session allowing for the sale of alcohol at a location in the stadium that is convenient to the general public.

"Policies and procedures governing alcohol sales at TCF Bank Stadium aim to balance the desires of Gopher fans, while also promoting responsible alcohol consumption, ensuring the safety of students and fans and respecting our university neighbors," said Pam Wheelock, VP of University Services. "We are confident these steps will allow for controlled sales of beer and wine to the general seating area, which satisfy the requirements of 2012 legislation without sacrificing the integrity of our educational mission."

Beer and wine will be sold only on the west plaza and in an overflow, cordoned off area outside of Gate A that is only accessible to fans attending the game. Care will be taken to create a visual and physical barrier between the points of sale and the Tribal Nations Plaza outside of Gate A. No alcohol will be allowed in that area. Non-alcoholic beverages will also be available for purchase where alcohol is sold.

Per university regulations:

Alcohol sales in TCF Bank Stadium will start one hour prior to kickoff and end at the conclusion of halftime.
Patrons will be limited to two alcoholic beverages per person per transaction. Patrons may return to their seats to consume their beverages.
Any customer who appears to be 30 years old or younger must show valid photographic identification before each purchase.
No hard liquor will be sold or served at TCF Bank Stadium for intercollegiate athletic events.

All servers staffing the individual points of sale were hired and trained, and will be supervised by ARAMARK, the university's official food and beverage service vendor.

ARAMARK Servers are:

TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) certified. TIPS is a skills-based responsible alcohol training and certification program that is designed to prevent intoxication, underage drinking and drunken driving.
Instructed to properly read and interpret the form of proof of age most commonly used in Minnesota and adjoining states, as well as the identification from the state of the visiting team.
Subject to discipline, up to and including termination and personal liability, for failing to adhere to TIPS and university guidelines.
Trained by ARAMARK managers who have passed the required tests to become TIPS Training certified.

To raise awareness of risks associated with drinking and driving, and to encourage responsible consumption of alcohol by customers, the university has teamed with ARAMARK to implement a Designated Driver program. Designated Driver booths will be located at Gate C on the concourse and in the DQ Club Room. Booths will be staffed in partnership with ARAMARK Higher Education, the university's Office of Student Affairs and representatives from the beer distributor.

University of Minnesota police will increase its game day presence, with 12 additional uniformed officers and additional contracted security personnel assigned to the west plaza and outside of Gate A. Approximately 110 law enforcement personnel staff each home Gopher football game.

This implementation plan was developed by a task force of staff from across the university, including Intercollegiate Athletics, Auxiliary Services, Contract Administration, Capital Planning & Project Management, University Police, University of Minnesota Foundation, Office of the General Council, University Relations, the President's Office and Student Affairs.

J.J. Taylor Distributing was selected as the beer vendor for TCF Bank Stadium after responding to a competitive Request for Proposal (RFP) collaboratively developed by many departmental representatives and issued by Purchasing Services. J.J Taylor received the highest evaluation score of all respondents, as judged by an evaluation committee consisting of representatives from Purchasing Services, Office of the General Council, Intercollegiate Athletics, the President's Office and Contract Administration.

Locally based in northeast Minneapolis, J.J. Taylor will serve Minnesota-brewed Grain Belt and Summit Pale Ale beers, along with Miller Lite. Red and white wine, purchased through St. Paul based Johnson Brothers, will also be available.

Go Gophers!!

Grain Belt is crap. BTW were mentioned on Freakonomics Radio on a segment about college's selling beer. Miller Lite is way better.

Holy Jesus Martha, is that better than a runny bm?

Yes solid is better and if you're going to bm at Sally's, I'd recommend the bathroom in the back. A little privacy goes a long way!

^^^ Looks beautiful, love what they've done with the open area. At least it's only in the field of vision for 92% of the stadium at all times.

^^^ Looks beautiful, love what they've done with the open area. At least it's only in the field of vision for 92% of the stadium at all times.

Holy crap does that look cheap. They couldn't have done something better than this? I guess they want their margin to be as high as possible regardless of how hideous the "beer garden" looks.

Interesting aside: Looks like they're using the new uniform font on the scoreboards this year. Nice touch.

Ya, that's a poor implementation. I really don't see why they don't just implement beer into the concessions. What added benefit is a beer garden? I guess it shortens food lines, but by how much, really?

Let's see now:

Do (A): Some people complain.
Do (B): Other people complain.
Do (C): Still other people complain.

Awe, screw it, no matter what is done, people will complain. Yet the complainers will do nothing to satisfy everyone.

I am complaining.

Ya, that's a poor implementation. I really don't see why they don't just implement beer into the concessions. What added benefit is a beer garden? I guess it shortens food lines, but by how much, really?

It'll probably happen unless there are bad, bad alcohol related incidents early on. Only selling it in two locations gives the impression of concern for the welfare of students and the general public.

Looks a little nicer than a beer tent at a county fair. Probably for the best to separate the lines, and get a better understanding of the demand for the general population. I am guessing in a few years they add Beer signage in the concourse and have beer only concessions.

How long do you think until they change the font on the field and in the stands to match the uniforms? If you are going to change the brand with old school inspired font, you might as well go all in.

It'll probably happen unless there are bad, bad alcohol related incidents early on. Only selling it in two locations gives the impression of concern for the welfare of students and the general public.

ya, I realize they are probably trying to ease into this. But really, there are no bad incidents at professional games. And if there are, you don't hear about them. By charging $7.25 for a beer you are effectively eliminating many problems right there.

Grain Belt is crap. BTW were mentioned on Freakonomics Radio on a segment about college's selling beer. Miller Lite is way better.

The only beer Miller Lite is possibly better than is Bud lite...maybe. Kids these days!

I am going to have one (or two) inside every game no matter what the price. It will be my contribution to Gopher football over and above the cost of my season tickets and parking pass.

And another way to look at it is if you don't use it, you might lose it. My group and I will be trying our best to make sure that doesn't happen.

What a sacrifice you're making for the program! My promise is that I will never set foot in it, hopefully to rid us of its presence so I don't have to spend 4 hours staring at "Mulletville."

Holy crap does that look cheap. They couldn't have done something better than this? I guess they want their margin to be as high as possible regardless of how hideous the "beer garden" looks.

What was your expectation, it's a beer garden for crying out loud? I don't want anyone on this board who has supported the beer garden to ever criticize the SEC again. You're twice the redneck they are now.

Does anybody know what size beer? 16 oz? If so . . . then I don't think it is a bad deal . . .

They couldn't have done something better than this?

Not without spending a bunch on money on permanent structures. You put up temporary tents and they will look like temporary tents.

Because this allows them to "secure" the sales more readily (read: its farther from the students).

How long do you think until they change the font on the field and in the stands to match the uniforms? If you are going to change the brand with old school inspired font, you might as well go all in.

You'd have to guess that they won't make further changes until the Vikings pay for the new turf that goes in after the heating coils are installed.

Way to turn that nice looking plaza and classic "wrought iron" gating into a carnival tent. Thanks MN Legislature for screwing this whole issue up.

Thanks MN Legislature for screwing this whole issue up.

Yup.

I agree with GW though. I see them expanding the sales to the concession stands at some point, perhaps excluding the ones immediately behind the student section.

Top Bottom