U of M Announces Alcohol Sales Policies at TCF Bank Stadium

mplsbadger

Reaction score
Beer Sales

Has anyone heard any details on the beer sales for Saturday? Are they in fact in the west end zone in a gated beer garden? The only thin I've heard for sure is that you can return to your seats.

They haven't updated their concessions maps on the website yet but yes, the beer garden will be at the west end. I haven't heard how many lines there will be or how the ID-check process will work though.

Best thing to do is this: Imagine the first game gong show getting into the stadium vs. Air Force, and then multiply this gong show times 4.

I got a question. When do they start selling beer? I'd love to grab one before the game and not have to miss any of the game. I won't get up in the middle of the game and be gone for half an hour though.

It's crazy to think you can buy a case at a liquor store for the same price as three beers inside the stadium. Who are the idiots here?
Just an observation.
I'll probably have one inside just to say I did.

Beer sales points in two locations - largest being in west "open area"
Sales begin 1 hr before kickoff. Can buy two at a time.

Separate functions: ID checkers & sellers.

It's not a "beer garden" that some may think of... it's just that there are only two locations that are selling beer (for now). So, the Meteodome had a ton of "beer gardens".

Will be interesting to see how many people hang out in the open end sippin suds... might look like one big frat party down there.

The U is going to announce more of the Beer at TCF info today.

It's crazy to think you can buy a case at a liquor store for the same price as three beers inside the stadium. Who are the idiots here?
Just an observation.
I'll probably have one inside just to say I did.

I am going to have one (or two) inside every game no matter what the price. It will be my contribution to Gopher football over and above the cost of my season tickets and parking pass.

And another way to look at it is if you don't use it, you might lose it. My group and I will be trying our best to make sure that doesn't happen.

We were going to move our season tickets down to that end, but decided against it based upon that exact assumption.

Beer sales points in two locations - largest being in west "open area"
Sales begin 1 hr before kickoff. Can buy two at a time.

Separate functions: ID checkers & sellers.

It's not a "beer garden" that some may think of... it's just that there are only two locations that are selling beer (for now). So, the Meteodome had a ton of "beer gardens".

Will be interesting to see how many people hang out in the open end sippin suds... might look like one big frat party down there.

I'll probably buy a few before game time while the lines are short. Not every week, but i'm not against a $10 beer every now and then.

Saw something earlier today about the 3 beers they will be serving. I think they are all local. I know 1 is Grain Belt and the other I think is Summit. Glad to see local brews, and not some of that Miller Lite crap from Wisconsin.

That's disappointing. If there's one brand I wouldn't buy at a Gopher game (or anytime), it's Miller. I like the Grain Belt and Summit, but it takes a little more effort to consume when binge drinking.

Don, I nominate you to come down and be the "official greeter" to various tailgating spots. You can give a speech to get people going or maybe start a chant..

Thank you, tiki, but I have to respectfully decline. As "official greeter" it would probably be expected that I would not be able to actually have a beer with the participants, any speech I would give would probably gross out the college crowd, and needless to say, any chant I would start would not be apropos.

Thanks anyway.

Doc

I figured this thread was as good a place as any for this question. Can someone finish this sentance? The best place to get a bloody mary before the game is _______________.

Thank you, tiki, but I have to respectfully decline. As "official greeter" it would probably be expected that I would not be able to actually have a beer with the participants, any speech I would give would probably gross out the college crowd, and needless to say, any chant I would start would not be apropos.

Thanks anyway.

Doc

Solution: Have a beer. Everything else sounded good to me.

The best place for a bloody mary is at most any tail gaiting lot. Just ask.

Thanks anyway.

Doc
Plus you would need to remain sober for at least an hour. Not your thing.

mnsports1: Grain Belt is made by Schell's. So, yes! :) -Joe

Thank you, but I was going for "orginal" or "light" or "octoberfest" even a "firebrick"....

I know there is no chance and I'm not real disappointed either.

Official release: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090612aab.html

University of Minnesota officials held a media briefing Thursday, Sept. 6 to discuss policies, procedures and safety measures related to alcohol sales at TCF Bank Stadium during football games. The university will also announce that J.J. Taylor Distributing has been selected as the beer vendor for TCF Bank Stadium.

Officials previewed the points of sale locations and discussed the implementation plan for beer and wine sales, approved by the university's Board of Regents on July 11. Legislation was passed during the 2012 session allowing for the sale of alcohol at a location in the stadium that is convenient to the general public.

"Policies and procedures governing alcohol sales at TCF Bank Stadium aim to balance the desires of Gopher fans, while also promoting responsible alcohol consumption, ensuring the safety of students and fans and respecting our university neighbors," said Pam Wheelock, VP of University Services. "We are confident these steps will allow for controlled sales of beer and wine to the general seating area, which satisfy the requirements of 2012 legislation without sacrificing the integrity of our educational mission."

Beer and wine will be sold only on the west plaza and in an overflow, cordoned off area outside of Gate A that is only accessible to fans attending the game. Care will be taken to create a visual and physical barrier between the points of sale and the Tribal Nations Plaza outside of Gate A. No alcohol will be allowed in that area. Non-alcoholic beverages will also be available for purchase where alcohol is sold.

Per university regulations:

Alcohol sales in TCF Bank Stadium will start one hour prior to kickoff and end at the conclusion of halftime.
Patrons will be limited to two alcoholic beverages per person per transaction. Patrons may return to their seats to consume their beverages.
Any customer who appears to be 30 years old or younger must show valid photographic identification before each purchase.
No hard liquor will be sold or served at TCF Bank Stadium for intercollegiate athletic events.
All servers staffing the individual points of sale were hired and trained, and will be supervised by ARAMARK, the university's official food and beverage service vendor.

ARAMARK Servers are:

TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) certified. TIPS is a skills-based responsible alcohol training and certification program that is designed to prevent intoxication, underage drinking and drunken driving.
Instructed to properly read and interpret the form of proof of age most commonly used in Minnesota and adjoining states, as well as the identification from the state of the visiting team.
Subject to discipline, up to and including termination and personal liability, for failing to adhere to TIPS and university guidelines.
Trained by ARAMARK managers who have passed the required tests to become TIPS Training certified.
To raise awareness of risks associated with drinking and driving, and to encourage responsible consumption of alcohol by customers, the university has teamed with ARAMARK to implement a Designated Driver program. Designated Driver booths will be located at Gate C on the concourse and in the DQ Club Room. Booths will be staffed in partnership with ARAMARK Higher Education, the university's Office of Student Affairs and representatives from the beer distributor.

University of Minnesota police will increase its game day presence, with 12 additional uniformed officers and additional contracted security personnel assigned to the west plaza and outside of Gate A. Approximately 110 law enforcement personnel staff each home Gopher football game.

This implementation plan was developed by a task force of staff from across the university, including Intercollegiate Athletics, Auxiliary Services, Contract Administration, Capital Planning & Project Management, University Police, University of Minnesota Foundation, Office of the General Council, University Relations, the President's Office and Student Affairs.

J.J. Taylor Distributing was selected as the beer vendor for TCF Bank Stadium after responding to a competitive Request for Proposal (RFP) collaboratively developed by many departmental representatives and issued by Purchasing Services. J.J Taylor received the highest evaluation score of all respondents, as judged by an evaluation committee consisting of representatives from Purchasing Services, Office of the General Council, Intercollegiate Athletics, the President's Office and Contract Administration.

Locally based in northeast Minneapolis, J.J. Taylor will serve Minnesota-brewed Grain Belt and Summit Pale Ale beers, along with Miller Lite. Red and white wine, purchased through St. Paul based Johnson Brothers, will also be available.

We were going to move our season tickets down to that end, but decided against it based upon that exact assumption.

Smart thinking as I think it'll be a bit of a s*** show, especially at and after halftime. Folks will double fist brews and be content to stand around and talk in the open area vs. being bothered by the task of watching a football game. When finished, they're right by the gates and can head on out and hop into their cars.
-------

BTW, when the U talks about a "beer garden" and an "overflow" location, that's like saying the Twins have 1 beer garden and dozens of overflow locations.

It's a gentler way to say, "we're selling beer at two locations". Both locations will be open for business - it's not a situation of having a secondary spot for overflow if needed.

I figured this thread was as good a place as any for this question. Can someone finish this sentance? The best place to get a bloody mary before the game is _______________.

Blarney's. If you get to Sally's early enough, they also have a solid bm.

Only until halftime and one Gate\Area this is really no big deal. Who cares!

Top Bottom