Tyler Johnson to skip the 40 at the combine.

You kids want to take this pissing match to PMs please?

Spoofer doesn't deserve a whole lot of defending due to his trolling.....but this d0uche has been following him around, getting banned, and making new accounts for a while now.

Spoofer doesn't deserve a whole lot of defending due to his trolling.....but this d0uche has been following him around, getting banned, and making new accounts for a while now.
Spoofin is not even close to a troller. Most don’t get his humor. I can see some taking it the wrong way and becoming stalker douche bags. Let’s go Gophers

Spoofin is not even close to a troller. Most don’t get his humor. I can see some taking it the wrong way and becoming stalker douche bags. Let’s go Gophers
"Most don't get his humor"? really? typically, if you have to explain a joke it wasn't funny. If your purpose is to annoy others then it may only be funny to yourself. It is his fricking moniker.

But I agree with stocker08, this other dude is sick.

I don't see why this is a big deal or an issue at all. It seems like players skip a certain part of the combine all the time. If it is a deep WR class and the knock on you is that you might be slower than the rest of the class why not use the extra few weeks to try to knock a tenth? He’s going to run at his pro day.

Was Cris Carter or even Jerry Rice “explosive”? There’s a long list of unexplosive but wildly productive college and NFL players. He seems like a Green Bay type of player..

I don’t know, but if Nagy said that, it’s probably the predominant view among scouts. It will be up to TJ to prove them wrong.

I don't see why this is a big deal or an issue at all. It seems like players skip a certain part of the combine all the time. If it is a deep WR class and the knock on you is that you might be slower than the rest of the class why not use the extra few weeks to try to knock a tenth? He’s going to run at his pro day.

It’s a bigger deal to those who don’t view it through maroon colored glasses. He’s getting hammered for it.

Minneapolis paper today (2/26/2020)

INDIANAPOLIS – Tyler Johnson has opted against participating in Thursday night’s NFL scouting combine athletic tests at Lucas Oil Stadium, choosing to wait until the University of Minnesota’s pro day March 25 to record official times in drills like the 40-yard dash.

Johnson, the Gophers’ all-time leading receiver, said he’ll still go through positional drills, interviews and medical testing this week in Indianapolis. He’s “not concerned” about making NFL evaluators wait a month for his times, even as the decision wasn’t made lightly.

“Pretty difficult,” Johnson said Tuesday. “Because it’s a prime-time event, and I love to compete.”

Johnson, the north Minneapolis native who could become the first Gophers receiver drafted since Eric Decker in 2010, said he’s spent “quite some time” preparing for the 40-yard dash. His strength and production stood out for the Gophers, but Johnson’s official NFL.com draft profile lists “top-end speed” among weaknesses. Another month of prep is aimed at boosting times across all drills.

“I’m not where I want to be right now,” Johnson said. “With the testing, I’m still adjusting and everything. The different techniques, different forms, different angles and the small things like that.”

Among the many advising Johnson is Vikings receiver Adam Thielen. They share representation in the Minneapolis-based Institute For Athletes. They’ve worked out together this winter at Thielen’s gym in Lakeville, where the lessons came on and off the indoor turf.

“Just ‘be me,’ ” Johnson said. “That was important to him, and he felt it was best for me.”

"Most don't get his humor"? really? typically, if you have to explain a joke it wasn't funny. If your purpose is to annoy others then it may only be funny to yourself. It is his fricking moniker.

But I agree with stocker08, this other dude is sick.
I chose my moniker based on a race-horse at Canterbury Park. I won a decent amount of $ on that horse.

Tyler Johnson to skip the 40 at the combine.

I think he needs to think about this a little bit more. I believe he would get a better final time if he full-out sprinted. Skipping is quite a bit slower, although somewhat faster than shuffling.

There's a difference between being funny and simply trying to get a rise out of people. One doesn't take nearly as much thought or effort.

But I'm happy for you....thinking that you've figured it out....what with your three months and five posts here. :rolleyes:

It’s a bigger deal to those who don’t view it through maroon colored glasses. He’s getting hammered for it.
I haven't seen him getting hammered for it. can you share something?

I haven't seen him getting hammered for it. can you share something?

That just means you haven’t looked hard enough. Search his name on Twitter and scroll through the past few days. Sure, not all of those opinions matter, but I think the general consensus is that it highlights the fact that he’s slow or unprepared, or both. He skipped the Shrine bowl, and the given reason was to prepare for the combine. And now he’s not doing the testing. I’m not suggesting that he can’t reverse the damage with a lights out performance at his pro day. For the record, I think the combine process is a joke, and too much emphasis is placed on 40 times, considering the amount of film they have on these players, but this is the process they use. I also think he’s been hosed by Nagy and some in the NFL scouting ranks all along. Did he piss someone off at some point? There’s no way he shouldn’t have gotten a Senior Bowl invite. So..all of this factors into my opinion that skipping the testing is a mistake. He’s giving them more ammo to doubt him.

Check this out:

Tyler’s press availability videos. Apparently, he had to share the table with another player, so the audio isn’t the best.

The only thing more authoritative than Twitter would be Wikipeida

I don’t know what else to tell you. I gave you my opinion, and you have a different one. That’s OK.

Any guesses as to where he’ll be drafted?

That Hasan tweet has to be a joke? The NFL can’t afford enough podiums, apparently.

We all know many (not all or maybe more accurately not to same extent) scouts and coaches are enthralled with measurables. The question with TJ isn’t whether he’ll be drafted or where but whether he has the goods to be productive in the NFL. That’s all that really matters. Yes or no?

spoofin is just a slightly less fastidious and slightly wittier version of dpodoll.

as for johnson, he doesn't have a great frame. i think there are intangibles that will make hime a good nfl receiver. imo

I’m predicting he falls to the 5th round...and then goes on to make fools of all the draftniks.

spoofin is just a slightly less fastidious and slightly wittier version of dpodoll.

as for johnson, he doesn't have a great frame. i think there are intangibles that will make hime a good nfl receiver. imo

Huh? Not a great frame? What does that even mean? 6'1" 205lbs is an issue? I guess CeeDee Lamb at 6'2" 198lbs and Jerry Jeudy at 6'1" 193lbs should be on notice.

You're deadly close to having a "bad frame".

Huh? Not a great frame? What does that even mean? 6'1" 205lbs is an issue? I guess CeeDee Lamb at 6'2" 198lbs and Jerry Jeudy at 6'1" 193lbs should be on notice.

You're deadly close to having a "bad frame".
dude, settle. not having the physicals of a great receiver does not mean bad. just means not great. you understand what great means, right?

Tyler did unfortunately drop a deep ball, but his release off the line on this drill was better than any other receiver, IMO. Those are some quick feet.

Other than that, I’m not sure how much can be learned from guys running routes against air.

TJ and his camp know how much is riding on that time for him so they must not feel like the time he would put up at the combine would help him.

I can see it both ways. If you run at the combine and don't get a great time you can look to improve it at your pro day. However a bad time could certainly have a negative impact on how teams view the rest of your workout.

By skipping the 40 at the combine you put a lot of pressure on how well you run at your pro day. But at least a bad time won't impact the rest of your performance at the combine.

We have this discussion every year about 40 times. I personally think way too much is tied to those fractions of a second but NFL scouts and GMs clearly don't agree.

I go back to the example of Barber and Maroney. Maroney was a first round pick based primarily on his speed. Barber was the better all around back of the two but didn't have the top end speed so he went in the 4th round. Barber had the much better pro career.

Could see something similar happening with TJ. Won't get drafted among the elite due to his lack of speed but could still have a very nice pro career as a mid round pick somewhere.

You can get serviceable backs all over every draft. Maroney was better than barber as a draft pick because he had more upside.
They both dealt with injuries in their pro careers but marines faced them earlier. I don’t think it’s fair to say Barber had a better pro career because he is a better back than Maroney. I do think it is fair to say he had a better career. It had more to do with Maroney facing injuries immediately in his career where as Barber had a couple of injury free years early.

TJ’s game is based more on beating his man quickly at the line or early in the route, and less about what he does down the field, or after the catch. He could be another “all he does is catch touchdowns” type player early in his career, but he needs to get the opportunity first. It almost feels like he’s been blacklisted by the scouting ranks. It’s just bizarre....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No swaying. Catches everything with the hands. Pretty impressive gauntlet run for Tyler... <a href="https://t.co/WA3K7s8zDU">pic.twitter.com/WA3K7s8zDU</a></p>&mdash; Kyle Goblirsch (@GobieMN) <a href="">February 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom