Tyler Johnson to skip the 40 at the combine.

Isn't the first to employ this strategy and won't be the last.

Hope it works out. The move raises some flags tho.

Hope it works out. The move raises some flags tho.
Its pretty well known this is going to make or break where Tyler is drafted. Why not give yourself another month to train for the 40? So what flags are you talking about?

He was tested the other day. Must not have liked the result.

I’ll be surprised if he also doesn’t skip the bench press, unless he’s made great strides in a short time. I saw a video (from about a month ago) of him struggling to put up 225....once. He needed help. Tyler is clearly not a workout warrior.

This combine is charade finding reasons to lower your draft stock. There is such a thing as players that don't test well for 40 speed, but have excellent game speed who have the right instincts and moves.

This combine is charade finding reasons to lower your draft stock. There is such a thing as players that don't test well for 40 speed, but have excellent game speed who have the right instincts and moves.
Bingo. And those players that know a certain drill is going to lower their stock tend to skip that drill. These guys all have agents/advisors that are telling them their best move. I hope it works out for TJ6 because I think he fits your last sentence pretty well.

Bingo. And those players that know a certain drill is going to lower their stock tend to skip that drill. These guys all have agents/advisors that are telling them their best move. I hope it works out for TJ6 because I think he fits your last sentence pretty well.
So you agree with Tyler's decision now or what? I'm confused...was this a good decision or does this still raise some flags?

My gut reaction is to just do it earlier as opposed to waiting. You might put more pressure on yourself to wait. I can't imagine how much faster it would be by waiting.

So you agree with Tyler's decision now or what? I'm confused...was this a good decision or does this still raise some flags?
It can be both. If TJ thought that the 40 time he was going to run at the combine would hurt his stock, it's a good decision not to run. However, not running also implies that his time probably isn't where he wants it to be, which reinforces the worrying about his speed.

My gut reaction is to just do it earlier as opposed to waiting. You might put more pressure on yourself to wait. I can't imagine how much faster it would be by waiting.

Chad Greenway said on KFAN this week that he ran an abysmal 4.78 at his combine and ran a 4.59 at his pro day. He attributed it to wearing the wrong type of cleats/shoes. I think I'd to both too just for the pressure aspect.

It can be both. If TJ thought that the 40 time he was going to run at the combine would hurt his stock, it's a good decision not to run. However, not running also implies that his time probably isn't where he wants it to be, which reinforces the worrying about his speed.
Of course you are right, and FTR I never said it was a bad decision (I would assume the opposite). However, NJG has absolutely zero interest in actually discussing this topic - only in responding to every single post I make.... and insulting my wife and kids when he chooses.

Of course you are right, and FTR I never said it was a bad decision (I would assume the opposite). However, NJG has absolutely zero interest in actually discussing this topic - only in responding to every single post I make.... and insulting my wife and kids when he chooses.
LOL! Where have I been? Didn't know you were married and have kids! By all means we should leave our spouses and kids out of discussions unless we bring them in for whatever reason like the Bilds.

Most players run faster at their Pro Day and teams/scouts usually make an adjustment to their time for that. I don't know if it's still the case, but Ohio State used to have a notoriously fast track to the point that some teams would add a full .10 to a player's time for their records.

It's no big deal that Tyler isn't going to run at the combine, but it is an indication that he's not expecting to run fast. By skipping the 40, he can still generate some buzz in Indy by performing well in the positional drills. If he ran poorly, his performance in those drills would be overshadowed by the poor 40 time.

Really? What did I say about your kids? Seems like your reaching man.

Really? What did I say about your kids? Seems like your reaching man.
I'm reaching? Again, not the sharpest tack. You aren't denying the wife insults because you did it on the open forum, but denying the kid insults because it was on a PM and I won't publish what you said. Real tough to figure out.

I'm sure folks believe you. After-all, you have lots of credibility --- Let's see......
Yeah, I'm obsessed with a message board poster I don't know.
Yeah, I've been banned 16 times due to my obsession and the PMs and posts I made to him.
Yeah, I have insulted his wife (who I also don't know) many times.
But, I would never insult his kids. What, do you think I'm some wacko?

LOL. Make more posts telling me to "move on" or that "here we go again" or that you come here to talk football. Tack.

I'm reaching? Again, not the sharpest tack. You aren't denying the wife insults because you did it on the open forum, but denying the kid insults because it was on a PM and I won't publish what you said. Real tough to figure out.

I'm sure folks believe you. After-all, you have lots of credibility --- Let's see......
Yeah, I'm obsessed with a message board poster I don't know.
Yeah, I've been banned 16 times due to my obsession and the PMs and posts I made to him.
Yeah, I have insulted his wife (who I also don't know) many times.
But, I would never insult his kids. What, do you think I'm some wacko?

LOL. Make more posts telling me to "move on" or that "here we go again" or that you come here to talk football. Tack.
You kids want to take this pissing match to PMs please?

You kids want to take this pissing match to PMs please?
Pissing Match? Are you kidding? Looney Bird has made 27 posts on this account - all directed at me. Every Post I make. Until he gets banned, again, I will continue to call him out and defend myself.

Smart call if he doesn’t feel he’s ready. This will make or break his draft stock.

The agents who have been doing this for years tell the players what is in their best interests to do because the higher they draft the more $$ the agents get.
In any event whatever happens to Johnson has no effect on anyone on this boards life so why worry about it?

FWIW - let's say Johnson does not run a stellar 40 time. that means he probably drops a couple rounds in the draft and loses some money up front.

But, he's going to play in the NFL. Some team is going to look at his game tape and give him a chance. And if he can perform, he can earn at least some of that money back in the long run.

Plenty of guys have played a long time in the NFL and caught a lot of passes without being world-class sprinters. So this is not the end of the world. There is more than one way to get to your ultimate destination. If the road you wanted to take is closed, then find a detour. (damn, I'm a philosopher...)

This isn't super uncommon. It always raises flags for a little bit, but when people move on after the pro day. I can't remember all of the people who have skipped certain (sometimes all) drills.

But it happens with a number of people every year.

Triggered?

You follow another grown up around message boards. This would be creepy behavior if you were an ex gf, it's beyond creepy that you are doing this to an absolute stranger.

Whether or not you're just trolling, mentally unstable, or just a creep, he must have said something that turned your life upsidedown. You, my friend, are triggered.

I think you'd be happier in life if you stopped stalking another grown man on a message board.

At a Pro Day, you can in a large sense control the events -- you know exactly what the turf is like, the cleats to wear, when you'll run, the locker room, the amount of warm up time, etc. At the combines you're dictated by their schedule. Lots of commotion, you don't know exactly when you'll run, and so you don't know when to really warm up, etc. He'll have a lot more focus at the Pro Day. Yes, he's "putting his eggs in one basket", so hopefully he doesn't have an off day.

It does happen with a few players every year, but it’s still not a good look. How he handles it in the interviews with scouts will be important, because they’re all going to ask him about it.

After his pro day, he’ll need to keep working like he has been to improve his speed and strength, to prepare for training camp, because it’s not going to get any easier, and as a likely late round pick, he’ll be more expendable to whoever drafts him.

At a Pro Day, you can in a large sense control the events -- you know exactly what the turf is like, the cleats to wear, when you'll run, the locker room, the amount of warm up time, etc. At the combines you're dictated by their schedule. Lots of commotion, you don't know exactly when you'll run, and so you don't know when to really warm up, etc. He'll have a lot more focus at the Pro Day. Yes, he's "putting his eggs in one basket", so hopefully he doesn't have an off day.
And let's say he runs well at pro day here.

You can always question if he would've run that number at the combine. But that question/concern gets shrouded in doubt with the pro day number being good. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't, you don't know for sure, so you can't really use it against him.

Most players run faster at their Pro Day and teams/scouts usually make an adjustment to their time for that. I don't know if it's still the case, but Ohio State used to have a notoriously fast track to the point that some teams would add a full .10 to a player's time for their records.

It's no big deal that Tyler isn't going to run at the combine, but it is an indication that he's not expecting to run fast. By skipping the 40, he can still generate some buzz in Indy by performing well in the positional drills. If he ran poorly, his performance in those drills would be overshadowed by the poor 40 time.

TJ and his camp know how much is riding on that time for him so they must not feel like the time he would put up at the combine would help him.

I can see it both ways. If you run at the combine and don't get a great time you can look to improve it at your pro day. However a bad time could certainly have a negative impact on how teams view the rest of your workout.

By skipping the 40 at the combine you put a lot of pressure on how well you run at your pro day. But at least a bad time won't impact the rest of your performance at the combine.

We have this discussion every year about 40 times. I personally think way too much is tied to those fractions of a second but NFL scouts and GMs clearly don't agree.

I go back to the example of Barber and Maroney. Maroney was a first round pick based primarily on his speed. Barber was the better all around back of the two but didn't have the top end speed so he went in the 4th round. Barber had the much better pro career.

Could see something similar happening with TJ. Won't get drafted among the elite due to his lack of speed but could still have a very nice pro career as a mid round pick somewhere.

Top Bottom